Flexible Spot - NEX 5t

Started Jul 29, 2014 | Questions
Traveler14 New Member • Posts: 16
Flexible Spot - NEX 5t

Hi

i am trying to get an image with Flexible Spot on Nex5t, and focusing on a specific spot only, but it either doesn't focus on that specific spot, or it just focuses on everything together and doesn't blur the other unfocused spots.

Please advise if I am doing it correctly: I am choosing either the Program Auto or Aperture Priority shooting mode, then on Fn button I choose Flexible Spot (under Autofocus), hence I put 3 or 4 objects and try to focus on one of them ... however it focuses the whole 3 or 4 objects and not just focuses the selected spot... Or sometimes it blurs the selected spot and focuses on another unselected spot.

i am trying it repeatedly but it gives the same result.

any hints?

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
MikeBruce Regular Member • Posts: 498
Re: Flexible Spot - NEX 5t

Traveler14 wrote:

Hi

i am trying to get an image with Flexible Spot on Nex5t, and focusing on a specific spot only, but it either doesn't focus on that specific spot, or it just focuses on everything together and doesn't blur the other unfocused spots.

Please advise if I am doing it correctly: I am choosing either the Program Auto or Aperture Priority shooting mode, then on Fn button I choose Flexible Spot (under Autofocus), hence I put 3 or 4 objects and try to focus on one of them ... however it focuses the whole 3 or 4 objects and not just focuses the selected spot... Or sometimes it blurs the selected spot and focuses on another unselected spot.

i am trying it repeatedly but it gives the same result.

any hints?

flexible spot will not control the Fstop like you need in auto mode(low) so you need to put the camera into P, M, or A, modes and control the F stop yourself.  The lower the Fstop the better your out of focus blur will be.

OP Traveler14 New Member • Posts: 16
Re: Flexible Spot - NEX 5t

Sorry I am not familiar with F Stop.. What is that and how can I control it or change it to low?

i couldn't see such a thing on the camera functions!

MikeBruce Regular Member • Posts: 498
Re: Flexible Spot - NEX 5t

Traveler14 wrote:

Sorry I am not familiar with F Stop.. What is that and how can I control it or change it to low?

i couldn't see such a thing on the camera functions!

Whoa there partner.  I *highly* suggest you brush up on your photography terminology.    F stop is the aperture or iris of the lens.  Smaller number denote larger aperatures which lets in more light.. as you do this the focus plane becomes smaller.  High F stops mean more of the scene is in focus but less light hits the sensor.  For what you would like you need to open up your aperture to the maximum size the lens allows.. this will give you the out of focus blur (bokeh) you desire.

OP Traveler14 New Member • Posts: 16
Re: Flexible Spot - NEX 5t

I am a very beginner and this is my new Nex 5t and I am doing a lot of readings to know more.

Thanks for clarification. So I guess to change the F Stop, it would be on the bottom of the screen and the lowest number i can get is F3.5 and the highest is F22, and to change it I am rotating the "circular dial" on top of the camera... Is that correct?

i am using F3.5, however it is still the same situation as it wouldn't focus on all the objects I point at nor blurring the others.

OP Traveler14 New Member • Posts: 16
Re: Flexible Spot - NEX 5t

so am I going right with this? Any help?

MikeBruce Regular Member • Posts: 498
Re: Flexible Spot - NEX 5t

Traveler14 wrote:

I am a very beginner and this is my new Nex 5t and I am doing a lot of readings to know more.

Thanks for clarification. So I guess to change the F Stop, it would be on the bottom of the screen and the lowest number i can get is F3.5 and the highest is F22, and to change it I am rotating the "circular dial" on top of the camera... Is that correct?

i am using F3.5, however it is still the same situation as it wouldn't focus on all the objects I point at nor blurring the others.

You are doing it correctly.  Your kit? lens has the max aperture of 3.5 so its blur isn't going to be the best.. or even very good.  You can zoom in to separate the background from the focus plane more.  My bokeh lens is the SEL35F18 because it has a 1.8 aperture.  It produces wonderful out of focus blur.  The kit lens.. not so much.

WarrenPeas
WarrenPeas Contributing Member • Posts: 566
Re: Flexible Spot - NEX 5t

If it is that you're looking for a higher quality bokeh, you will need to invest in faster lens (aka: prime lens).  The kit lens will produce fine photos, but not necessarily the "blur" that you're perhaps looking for.

 WarrenPeas's gear list:WarrenPeas's gear list
Sony a5100 Sony a7R III Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony FE 35mm F1.4 Sony FE 24-240mm F3.5-6.3 OSS +3 more
lightgrabber Contributing Member • Posts: 738
Re: Flexible Spot - NEX 5t
1

Also you need to realize that the camera will focus not on a specific spot but on a plane of focus, determined by distance from the lens. In other words, if things are to the right or left of what you are wanting to focus on but at about the same distance from the camera as the chosen object they will be in focus. It is only things closer to or further from the camera that will be blurred.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads