Canon to Nikon (gushing) Progress Report

Started Jul 28, 2014 | Discussions
pgeorges Regular Member • Posts: 266
Canon to Nikon (gushing) Progress Report
5

As many of you are aware (from one of my previous threads) I have recently completely switched from a Canon system comprising of two 5d3's and a few Sigma and L primes to a couple of D800e's and various Sigma and Nikon lenses. I thought i'd give a bit of a progress report!

I must say from the moment I used the D800 for the first time it felt right. I always applauded Canon for the ergonomics but had some issues (using the exposure comp and changing ISO was awkward for me). Happily, the Nikon almost instantly felt that much better - and still does! Mind you, they're both great but I'd give the win to Nikon apart from the grip. Happily again, throwing battery grips on both cameras as fixed any issue I had holding the camera. I am always strapless since I use the spider holster so hand grip is important to me.

Ergonomics out of the way, I immediately felt the need to improve my technique with this camera due to the sheer resolution demands. It took a couple of weeks but I can say that I'm already a better photographer because of it. I'm paying much more attention to critical focus, AF fine tuning, shutter speeds, keeping ISO as low as possible etc. When you see the different between a properly focused and sharp D800e image to one that isn't, it hits you like a tonne of bricks and forces you to improve. It's a demanding camera but I feel it's well worth coming to grips with!

I love the lens selection. Sure there's no 85mm 1.2 but with this new system I'm using the 14-24mm, 85mm 1.8g, Sigma 35 and 50mm. Since I paid so little for the 85mm compared to the LII it allowed me to purchase the 70-200mm VRII which I absolutely love. I never did like the Canon 2.8LII due to the messy bokeh. This seems just about as sharp with almost prime like bokeh quality.

I could almost live with the 14-24 and 70-200 alone.

I've since used it in studio shoots and a wedding and so far I'm just loving it. My only complaint is: why did I not do this sooner?!

 pgeorges's gear list:pgeorges's gear list
Sony Alpha a7 III Zeiss Loxia 50 Zeiss Loxia 85mm F2.4 Sony FE 16-35mm F2.8 Sony FE 70-200mm F2.8 GM OSS
Luis Bonetti Forum Member • Posts: 76
Re: Canon to Nikon (gushing) Progress Report

If you want the best colors from Raw don't use ACR/ Lightroom. Use Capture NX-D. Shoot a Jpg and the a raw and open it on ACR and you will see what I mean.

 Luis Bonetti's gear list:Luis Bonetti's gear list
Nikon D2Xs Nikon D800E Nikon D5100 Nikon D7100 Nikon D800 +16 more
Tecumseh Regular Member • Posts: 226
Re: Canon to Nikon (gushing) Progress Report

Luis Bonetti wrote:

If you want the best colors from Raw don't use ACR/ Lightroom. Use Capture NX-D. Shoot a Jpg and the a raw and open it on ACR and you will see what I mean.

Can you post an example of this. Thanks.

 Tecumseh's gear list:Tecumseh's gear list
Sigma 105mm F1.4 DG HSM Art Sigma 70mm F2.8 DG Macro Art
yihlee Contributing Member • Posts: 676
Re: Enjoy reading your article.
1

Here and on other forums.

OP pgeorges Regular Member • Posts: 266
Re: Canon to Nikon (gushing) Progress Report

Luis Bonetti wrote:

If you want the best colors from Raw don't use ACR/ Lightroom. Use Capture NX-D. Shoot a Jpg and the a raw and open it on ACR and you will see what I mean.

I've heard that, have not tried it yet however. Would it be similar if I use Capture One Pro? I've been meaning to give that a go.

-- hide signature --
 pgeorges's gear list:pgeorges's gear list
Sony Alpha a7 III Zeiss Loxia 50 Zeiss Loxia 85mm F2.4 Sony FE 16-35mm F2.8 Sony FE 70-200mm F2.8 GM OSS
OP pgeorges Regular Member • Posts: 266
Re: Enjoy reading your article.

yihlee wrote:

Here and on other forums.

Cheers man, appreciate it

-- hide signature --
 pgeorges's gear list:pgeorges's gear list
Sony Alpha a7 III Zeiss Loxia 50 Zeiss Loxia 85mm F2.4 Sony FE 16-35mm F2.8 Sony FE 70-200mm F2.8 GM OSS
Al Giordano
Al Giordano Senior Member • Posts: 1,166
Re: Canon to Nikon (gushing) Progress Report

Congratulations and welcome to the family.

I applaud you, not for switching to Nikon, but realizing you cannot treat the D800 as a typical DSLR it requires a different workflow and technique.  The added resolution does put more demands on focus, stability, and technique.  Nice lens choices as well.

I look forward to seeing your results!   Happy Shooting.

 Al Giordano's gear list:Al Giordano's gear list
Sony Alpha a7R II Sony FE 24-70mm F4 OSS Sony FE 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 Canon Pixma Pro9000 +2 more
SpartanWarrior
SpartanWarrior Senior Member • Posts: 2,934
Re: Canon to Nikon (gushing) Progress Report

draculr wrote:

As many of you are aware (from one of my previous threads) I have recently completely switched from a Canon system comprising of two 5d3's and a few Sigma and L primes to a couple of D800e's and various Sigma and Nikon lenses. I thought i'd give a bit of a progress report!

I must say from the moment I used the D800 for the first time it felt right. I always applauded Canon for the ergonomics but had some issues (using the exposure comp and changing ISO was awkward for me). Happily, the Nikon almost instantly felt that much better - and still does! Mind you, they're both great but I'd give the win to Nikon apart from the grip. Happily again, throwing battery grips on both cameras as fixed any issue I had holding the camera. I am always strapless since I use the spider holster so hand grip is important to me.

Ergonomics out of the way, I immediately felt the need to improve my technique with this camera due to the sheer resolution demands. It took a couple of weeks but I can say that I'm already a better photographer because of it. I'm paying much more attention to critical focus, AF fine tuning, shutter speeds, keeping ISO as low as possible etc. When you see the different between a properly focused and sharp D800e image to one that isn't, it hits you like a tonne of bricks and forces you to improve. It's a demanding camera but I feel it's well worth coming to grips with!

I love the lens selection. Sure there's no 85mm 1.2 but with this new system I'm using the 14-24mm, 85mm 1.8g, Sigma 35 and 50mm. Since I paid so little for the 85mm compared to the LII it allowed me to purchase the 70-200mm VRII which I absolutely love. I never did like the Canon 2.8LII due to the messy bokeh. This seems just about as sharp with almost prime like bokeh quality.

I could almost live with the 14-24 and 70-200 alone.

I've since used it in studio shoots and a wedding and so far I'm just loving it. My only complaint is: why did I not do this sooner?!

Congrats, I did the same with 5D III and needed a 2nd back up and was going to buy the 6D but switched to D800E and D610 and have not regretted it one bit;)

 SpartanWarrior's gear list:SpartanWarrior's gear list
Nikon D3S Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +3 more
SpartanWarrior
SpartanWarrior Senior Member • Posts: 2,934
Re: Canon to Nikon (gushing) Progress Report

Luis Bonetti wrote:

If you want the best colors from Raw don't use ACR/ Lightroom. Use Capture NX-D. Shoot a Jpg and the a raw and open it on ACR and you will see what I mean.

I have tried Capture NX-D and agree that the colors are better than Lightroom BUT,when I save to 16bit tiff and need to head over to lightroom for extra don't I lose raw data information?

 SpartanWarrior's gear list:SpartanWarrior's gear list
Nikon D3S Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +3 more
Armin Hermann Regular Member • Posts: 299
debatable
1

I take this post as a mere statement of utter consumer satisfaction. Your statements about canon _II glass are debatable. I certainly wish you luck and good light with any camera.

-Armin

amobi
amobi Veteran Member • Posts: 3,113
Re: debatable

Armin Hermann wrote:

I take this post as a mere statement of utter consumer satisfaction. Your statements about canon _II glass are debatable. I certainly wish you luck and good light with any camera.

-Armin

That was a very strange statement including the fact that he is now a better photographer.

ncsakany
ncsakany Senior Member • Posts: 2,004
Re: debatable

Armin Hermann wrote:

I take this post as a mere statement of utter consumer satisfaction. Your statements about canon _II glass are debatable. I certainly wish you luck and good light with any camera.

-Armin

I had the 70-200 ii lens myself when I owned the 5d iii, and agree on the bokeh part. Mark I of the Canon 70-200 2.8 also had a better bokeh than mark ii (also owned that lens at some point)

OP pgeorges Regular Member • Posts: 266
Re: debatable

ncsakany wrote:

Armin Hermann wrote:

I take this post as a mere statement of utter consumer satisfaction. Your statements about canon _II glass are debatable. I certainly wish you luck and good light with any camera.

-Armin

I had the 70-200 ii lens myself when I owned the 5d iii, and agree on the bokeh part. Mark I of the Canon 70-200 2.8 also had a better bokeh than mark ii (also owned that lens at some point)

Yea I'm fairly sure most people will agree on the bokeh being a decent bit messy on the mark ii. The 135L is a big leap better whereas the gap between the 70-200VRII and the Nikon 135 @ f2.8 is much smaller.

-- hide signature --
 pgeorges's gear list:pgeorges's gear list
Sony Alpha a7 III Zeiss Loxia 50 Zeiss Loxia 85mm F2.4 Sony FE 16-35mm F2.8 Sony FE 70-200mm F2.8 GM OSS
afterburn Senior Member • Posts: 1,033
Re: debatable
7

amobi wrote:

Armin Hermann wrote:

I take this post as a mere statement of utter consumer satisfaction. Your statements about canon _II glass are debatable. I certainly wish you luck and good light with any camera.

-Armin

That was a very strange statement including the fact that he is now a better photographer.

Not really, but it helps to read. He only said he didn't like the bokeh, which is a completely valid opinion to have on a lens. He also didn't say the camera made him a better photographer, he said the camera forced him to hone and pay attention to his technique, which in turn made him a better photographer. Again, a perfectly valid opinion.

Like I said, it helps to read.

-- hide signature --

Gijs from The Netherlands
Nikon D800

 afterburn's gear list:afterburn's gear list
Nikon D800 Fujifilm X-T1 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R +5 more
paulski66
paulski66 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,264
This thread would be a lot more fun...
1

...if you posted it over in the Canon forums.

:evil cackle:

 paulski66's gear list:paulski66's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Nikon 85mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +2 more
OP pgeorges Regular Member • Posts: 266
Re: debatable

afterburn wrote:

amobi wrote:

Armin Hermann wrote:

I take this post as a mere statement of utter consumer satisfaction. Your statements about canon _II glass are debatable. I certainly wish you luck and good light with any camera.

-Armin

That was a very strange statement including the fact that he is now a better photographer.

Not really, but it helps to read. He only said he didn't like the bokeh, which is a completely valid opinion to have on a lens. He also didn't say the camera made him a better photographer, he said the camera forced him to hone and pay attention to his technique, which in turn made him a better photographer. Again, a perfectly valid opinion.

Like I said, it helps to read.

-- hide signature --

Gijs from The Netherlands
Nikon D800

Thanks, you saved me from repeating it

-- hide signature --
 pgeorges's gear list:pgeorges's gear list
Sony Alpha a7 III Zeiss Loxia 50 Zeiss Loxia 85mm F2.4 Sony FE 16-35mm F2.8 Sony FE 70-200mm F2.8 GM OSS
chuxter Forum Pro • Posts: 21,713
Re: This thread would be a lot more fun...

True, but then most of us would never see it. Can we bring cross-posting back?

 chuxter's gear list:chuxter's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon D500 Sigma 24-105mm F4 DG OS HSM Tamron SP 150-600mm F/5-6.3 Di VC USD Sigma 50-100mm F1.8 DC HSM Art +2 more
OP pgeorges Regular Member • Posts: 266
Re: This thread would be a lot more fun...

paulski66 wrote:

...if you posted it over in the Canon forums.

:evil cackle:

Evil indeed!

-- hide signature --
 pgeorges's gear list:pgeorges's gear list
Sony Alpha a7 III Zeiss Loxia 50 Zeiss Loxia 85mm F2.4 Sony FE 16-35mm F2.8 Sony FE 70-200mm F2.8 GM OSS
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads