The skin color advice.

Started Jul 27, 2014 | Discussions
AlGor
AlGor Senior Member • Posts: 1,855
The skin color advice.

i did promise for one Guatemalan guy to make some portrait (I'm a builder myself) and used my RX100-1 (which is always in my working bag) .

After some touching in LR I was in hesitate about skin color... From one side i don't like to keep it too

dark (plus a some yellows shades) but from other side it should be native .

Just for opinion from you guys, take a fresh look please... Any recommendations?

Al.

AlGor's gear list:AlGor's gear list
Sony RX100 Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Olympus Tough TG-4 Nikon D750 +2 more
Ed at Ridersite Forum Pro • Posts: 18,477
Re: The skin color advice.

A couple of thoughts on this.  The skin tone is mostly determined by white balance.  IMO, Sony tends to be a little too much toward the blue.  I generally warm it up a little when editing RAW files.

I think shooting at 100mm was a good idea, but IMO, f4.9 would work better and you'd gain quite a bit of shutter speed (up around 1/400th) which would likely improve sharpness.  Also, I think the stone wall would work OK as a background, but I'd avoid having the door frame sticking out of his head.

-- hide signature --

AEH
http://aehass.zenfolio.com/
http://aehass.zenfolio.com/blog
Question: What do you do all week?
Answer: Mon to Fri. Nothing, Sat & Sun I rest!

Ed at Ridersite's gear list:Ed at Ridersite's gear list
Sony RX100 II Sony SLT-A68 Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM Sony 70-400mm F4-5.6 G SSM II
AlGor
OP AlGor Senior Member • Posts: 1,855

Thanks Ed, but I have what I have... My main interest was in skin tone/color, if it don't needs to be more lighter/darker.

I think you right about camera settings but with bright sunny day it should take a some while to install and in my case I have no time for it. This is what I love mostly in new M-3 --- EVF ! (I don't have it).

The sharpness here is more then enough for 8 by 10 inch print (again you right here) and my prints ready already.

I'm sure the any camera without EVF not good for any modes except " Auto "in sunny weather, and mostly for people handling.

Al.

Sony RX100 Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Olympus Tough TG-4 Nikon D750 +2 more
Harvey Rawn
Harvey Rawn Senior Member • Posts: 2,567

I think that one consideration is whether you want to make the image as pretty, or as accurate, as possible. If the latter, I would just experiment with white balance and other settings until his skin tone looks as close to what you remember as you can achieve.

-- hide signature --

Harvey
Write with light

Harvey Rawn's gear list:Harvey Rawn's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Apple iPhone X
OpticsEngineer Veteran Member • Posts: 6,220

Just a first impression, not thinking about it too much, I think the face color has picked up a bit of yellow that is likely not accurate.  (a fair number of Guatemalans around were I live, by the way.)

OpticsEngineer's gear list:OpticsEngineer's gear list
Fujifilm XF1 Olympus XZ-2 iHS Canon PowerShot G7 X Olympus Tough TG-4 Pentax *ist D +22 more
AlGor

Harvey Rawn wrote:

I think that one consideration is whether you want to make the image as pretty, or as accurate, as possible. If the latter, I would just experiment with white balance and other settings until his skin tone looks as close to what you remember as you can achieve.

-- hide signature --

Harvey
Write with light

Thanks Harvey, in fact I was trying to experiments with WB, then it was looking to me to dark, then to light, then... This is why I was asking about to side opinion...

Thank you again.   Al.

AlGor

OpticsEngineer wrote:

Just a first impression, not thinking about it too much, I think the face color has picked up a bit of yellow that is likely not accurate. (a fair number of Guatemalans around were I live, by the way.)

Thank you, this is EXACTLY what I was looking for! Independent opinion.

Al.

Harvey Rawn

AlGor wrote:

Harvey Rawn wrote:

-- hide signature --

Harvey
Write with light

Thanks Harvey, in fact I was trying to experiments with WB, then it was looking to me to dark, then to light, then... This is why I was asking about to side opinion...

Thank you again. Al.

I would also experiment with adjustments to exposure, saturation, contrast, and other controls.

-- hide signature --

Harvey
Write with light

AlGor

Harvey, I printed out four sets with the different variants, then tomorrow will see reactions from the guy.

I know him a long time so will talk wit him what he's preferable skin tone is. ( on paper).

For me also it will be a good experience for future. From my experience in US most (or all) real "heavy, dirty, dusty", others jobs to be performed by guys like him.

Al. P.S. I want frame some pics and make a little present... Nice working guy.

salla30
salla30 Senior Member • Posts: 2,596

I was thinking also, perhaps a little yellow. Try lowering the yellow a little.

It's always very trick to judge skin tones without knowing the subject

salla30's gear list:salla30's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony RX1 Sony RX100 II Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony a5000 +1 more
Harvey Rawn

AlGor wrote:

Harvey, I printed out four sets with the different variants, then tomorrow will see reactions from the guy.

I know him a long time so will talk wit him what he's preferable skin tone is. ( on paper).

For me also it will be a good experience for future. From my experience in US most (or all) real "heavy, dirty, dusty", others jobs to be performed by guys like him.

Al. P.S. I want frame some pics and make a little present... Nice working guy.

I expect that he'll be very appreciative of your efforts.

-- hide signature --

Harvey
Write with light

2eyesee Senior Member • Posts: 2,159

I'd be more concerned how soft the image is, Al. It looks out of focus - or maybe how you've process it in Lightroom. I'm not sure, but it should look better than this though for ISO 125 when viewed at 100%.

I'd recommend not going over f/5.6 for best sharpness. You're f/8 here, but I'm sure that doesn't explain just how soft the image looks.

AlGor

2eyesee wrote:

I'd be more concerned how soft the image is, Al. It looks out of focus - or maybe how you've process it in Lightroom. I'm not sure, but it should look better than this though for ISO 125 when viewed at 100%.

I'd recommend not going over f/5.6 for best sharpness. You're f/8 here, but I'm sure that doesn't explain just how soft the image looks.

In LR5 when I touching the image I reduce a little bit clarity because in other way it was looking way tooo contrasty. So a little softer face looking much batter in my opinion.

I printed already several sets in 5 by 7 inch and it sharp enough and face not so contrasty.

Al.

2eyesee Senior Member • Posts: 2,159

AlGor wrote:

2eyesee wrote:

I'd be more concerned how soft the image is, Al. It looks out of focus - or maybe how you've process it in Lightroom. I'm not sure, but it should look better than this though for ISO 125 when viewed at 100%.

In LR5 when I touching the image I reduce a little bit clarity because in other way it was looking way tooo contrasty. So a little softer face looking much batter in my opinion.

I printed already several sets in 5 by 7 inch and it sharp enough and face not so contrasty.

A 5x7" print at 300 dpi is only about 3 megapixels, so it's not surprising that a soft 20 megapixel image will look sharp when scaled down to 3 megapixels. I still wouldn't be happy with it though.

I'd be interested in seeing what the RAW looks like and how I would process it if you want to share it (through Google Drive, DropBox or another file sharing service).

AlGor

2eyesee wrote:

AlGor wrote:

2eyesee wrote:

A 5x7" print at 300 dpi is only about 3 megapixels, so it's not surprising that a soft 20 megapixel image will look sharp when scaled down to 3 megapixels. I still wouldn't be happy with it though.

I'd be interested in seeing what the RAW looks like and how I would process it if you want to share it (through Google Drive, DropBox or another file sharing service).

Yes you right that shot IS a bit out of focus.

And unfortunately I do use RX100 in JPG only (just keep the camera in my working bag everyday).
It was pretty bright daytime and "tight" time window,also NO EVF in camera, so I just asking guy stay still and "look at me".
I do shooting my objects/projects to keep "documented history" in pictures from the building beginning, also some guys working here...
Here is another shot but also processed in LR5(5) and after I export pics I'm not keeping originals (for this kind of pictures);
also my main question was about skin color but if this is interesting to you...

Al. P.S. And all guys was very happy with the pictures (it is what it is).

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads