Bikes on the sidewalk

including mine

fad
fad Forum Pro • Posts: 16,618
Beach volleyball in Brooklyn

-- hide signature --

Frank
shot in downtown Manhattan.
http://sidewalkshadows.com/blog/ (street photos)
Always view all photos in Gallery or Original Size

fad's gear list:fad's gear list
Nikon D3S Nikon D800 Nikon D4S Nikon D810 Nikon D750 +19 more
DonnCath Regular Member • Posts: 209
Rangers Fans
TroiD
TroiD Senior Member • Posts: 1,037
Re: Love you - Ignore you

Daedalus2000 wrote:

Great forum, so here is a small contribution for your comments.

Love you - Ignore you

Oh... that's good. Very very good! More like that please.

David

TroiD's gear list:TroiD's gear list
Canon G1 X II Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM +1 more
TroiD
Re: Beach volleyball in Brooklyn

fad wrote:

This photo approaches what I want to see from you. You've taken an athletic scene and turned it into performing art. Poetry in motion. BW was definitely the way to go. I wish the cityscape wasn't interrupted by the poles and beams. But the 'dancer' herself... wonderful!

I think you could go back there and do some more...

David

Canon G1 X II Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM +1 more
TroiD
Re: Writing down her thoughts

jacwashere wrote:

(know this because i asked her after i told her that i took her pic)

There's such a rich potential in this shot. If this thoughtful girl could be taken out of the shadows. I hope you won't mind... but I couldn't resist trying. (hard to work on such a small jpeg). Apologies in advance if you don't appreciate the attempt.

David

solveproblems Contributing Member • Posts: 877
Thank you! (nt)

nt

fad

TroiD wrote:

fad wrote:

This photo approaches what I want to see from you. You've taken an athletic scene and turned it into performing art. Poetry in motion. BW was definitely the way to go. I wish the cityscape wasn't interrupted by the poles and beams. But the 'dancer' herself... wonderful!

I think you could go back there and do some more...

David

Thanks, David

Yes, I'd like to go back.   I don't know what can be done about the structural elements in the composition, but it's worth exploring.   It might also help if I had access to my raws in LR, but there is not a good profile for the D810 yet, so I'm processing jpg's for now.

I was really surprised when I took an editing class a few years ago that so many of my best shots then showed the expression of the human form, male and female.  I never think about it.

-- hide signature --

Frank

Ken Christie Senior Member • Posts: 1,278
Re: Selfie accessory

Sal18 wrote:

A Monopod, if you have one, serves the purpose of extending a camera out there. I use one to get height, or a difficult angle.

Sal

Sorry Sal, I should have added a smiley. I was suggesting that "selfie sticks" may become available from upmarket accessory manufacturers, at their customary upmarket prices.

I do have a very sturdy monopd, but might struggle to get a QR plate to fit my phone.  

Cheers

-- hide signature --

KenC

arie s Regular Member • Posts: 121

would liked to have seen the ball against the building window. that would have been a more decisive moment imo. nice though none the less.

arie s Regular Member • Posts: 121
Re: Writing down her thoughts

the blurry b&w does help some, but unfortunately without being told exactly what to look at, the woman gets lost in the mulch as does her notebook.

TroiD
Cool It

David

Sal18 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,296
Catch of the Day

Sal

fad
Ondines in Brooklyn

As they kiss, the third Ondine calls. Hans dies. Ondine looks around in puzzlement. She asks, "Who is this handsome young man lying here, can you bring him back to life, Old One?" He replies, "Impossible." As the curtain falls Ondine says, "What a pity! How I should have loved him!" [Ondine - a play by Jean Giraudoux]

-- hide signature --

Frank

fad
Re: Cool It

TroiD wrote:

David

I've taken, and seen, a lot of failures with this kind of fountain.   I think this is the first good one I've seen.   I'd quibble a little over the angle/pose, especially the head, but overall it works well.  The basketball is a pleasant surprise and well placed.

-- hide signature --

Frank

TroiD
Re: Cool It

fad wrote:

TroiD wrote:

David

I've taken, and seen, a lot of failures with this kind of fountain. I think this is the first good one I've seen. I'd quibble a little over the angle/pose, especially the head, but overall it works well. The basketball is a pleasant surprise and well placed.

Thanks for your comments. I did get some with his head better positioned. But I liked this one where he was trying to sit on the jet. The key point with this kind of shot is to use a high shutter speed.

David

TroiD
Re: Ondines in Brooklyn

fad wrote:

As they kiss, the third Ondine calls. Hans dies. Ondine looks around in puzzlement. She asks, "Who is this handsome young man lying here, can you bring him back to life, Old One?" He replies, "Impossible." As the curtain falls Ondine says, "What a pity! How I should have loved him!" [Ondine - a play by Jean Giraudoux]

I like the effect of the netting. Especially for what it does for the sky. There's an interesting symmetry here as well. 3 on the left sitting. 3 on the right interacting. 1 on the ground who separates them all.

David

Daedalus2000
Daedalus2000 Veteran Member • Posts: 7,853
Thanks. nt

No text.

Daedalus2000
Daedalus2000 Veteran Member • Posts: 7,853
Mending his bike...

I took this one at about 10pm local time.

No time to sleep, I need to fix my bike

Sal18 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,296
Re: Ondines in Brooklyn

This is so perfect...and the Ondine parallel is such a treat....I can't help harboring a tiny wish that there was a tiny space between the dancers' heads and the causeway/viaduct/bridge/traintracks - whatever it is.

Sal

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads