>>> Street Photography eXchange #110 <<<

Started Jul 27, 2014 | Discussions
fad
fad Forum Pro • Posts: 16,613
Brooklyn jogger

It takes hard work and discipline to sculpt a body as emaciated as those who suffer from malnutrition.

[technical observation:  It takes hard work, discipline and experience to realize that this image should not be cropped.  The obvious, at least for me, is very difficult to master. ]

-- hide signature --

Frank
shot in downtown Manhattan.
http://sidewalkshadows.com/blog/ (street photos)
Always view all photos in Gallery or Original Size

fad's gear list:fad's gear list
Nikon D3S Nikon D800 Nikon D4S Nikon D810 Nikon D750 +19 more
Ken Christie Senior Member • Posts: 1,278
Re: Alternate title: Being cowed by fortune

TroiD wrote:

fad wrote:

I had actually considered "Milking The Customers"... then decided on something less aggresive.

David

A moo--t point.

-- hide signature --

KenC

Zubu Barunda Senior Member • Posts: 2,834
Moments of passion

Daedalus2000
Daedalus2000 Veteran Member • Posts: 7,853
Re: Surface Area = pi*r^2 + pi*r*l

I look forward to the explanation of the title, because I do not see the ellipse or the circle....

Music buffs

Rough Trade is a name of a record store.

Music buffs II

TroiD
TroiD Senior Member • Posts: 1,035
Re: Brooklyn jogger

fad wrote:

It takes hard work and discipline to sculpt a body as emaciated as those who suffer from malnutrition.

[technical observation: It takes hard work, discipline and experience to realize that this image should not be cropped. The obvious, at least for me, is very difficult to master. ]

What seems obvious to me, is that it could use some lens correction. Unless you really like all that curvature. The girl seems to be leaning forward and toward the camera. So much I'm concerned she may tip over.

David

TroiD's gear list:TroiD's gear list
Canon G1 X II Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM +1 more
TroiD
Re: Ten:Ten

Ken Christie wrote:

You are correct. It's an advertising/marketing "standard" that watchfaces are without exception shown with the Ten:Ten hand position. Their "Happy face". Apparently that is a trigger towards a purchase... The sweephand is normally positioned as shown. It also usually avoids obscuring the brand. But as they all do it, where's the advantage? Not sure what the standard is for digital faces.

Andrew Marvell (note spelling) isn't being morbid. The general interpretation is frustration at his "Coy Mistress" witholding her favours. Alledgedly.

Well, I can understand how he'd be frustrated... she wasn't gonna give it up for a poem like that. She would have been out on her balcony waiting for flowers and some sweet words of love. And down below... there's Edward singing about worms and dust. Casanova would have played a different tune.

David

Canon G1 X II Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM +1 more
Re: five

solveproblems wrote:

Is that police crime scene tape surrounding the area?

It is a very good shot, btw.

TroiD
Re: buttons

solveproblems wrote:

Interesting characters in this image. The guy seems timidly proud. The woman next to him looks to be amused by the situation, while the other one goes on about her work... unperturbed. Do you think the box on the far right could be cropped out?

David

fad
Re: Ten:Ten

TroiD wrote:

Ken Christie wrote:

You are correct. It's an advertising/marketing "standard" that watchfaces are without exception shown with the Ten:Ten hand position. Their "Happy face". Apparently that is a trigger towards a purchase... The sweephand is normally positioned as shown. It also usually avoids obscuring the brand. But as they all do it, where's the advantage? Not sure what the standard is for digital faces.

Andrew Marvell (note spelling) isn't being morbid. The general interpretation is frustration at his "Coy Mistress" witholding her favours. Alledgedly.

Well, I can understand how he'd be frustrated... she wasn't gonna give it up for a poem like that. She would have been out on her balcony waiting for flowers and some sweet words of love. And down below... there's Edward singing about worms and dust. Casanova would have played a different tune.

David

He was just using the ago old line of "have sex with me before you become an old hag" (carpe diem) that Ronsard and plenty others had used in previous centuries. He spiced it up with metaphysical conceits because that was all the rage at the time.

If you want a lame attempt by a poet to bed a fair maid (actually a great actress whom Racine and Moliere wrote parts for), check out Marquise, by Corneille, which says that the writer may be old and ugly, but don't forget you'll be old and ugly too some day. We know for a fact that that did not work.

-- hide signature --

Frank

fad

Daedalus2000 wrote:

I look forward to the explanation of the title, because I do not see the ellipse or the circle....

She has just given her mum the remains of an ice cream cone.   I hope the equation is correct, I just copied it from the Net.   Hmmm.  Actually, it can't be since this cone is not flat on the top.  Call it photographic license.

-- hide signature --

Frank

Daedalus2000

fad wrote:

Daedalus2000 wrote:

She has just given her mum the remains of an ice cream cone. I hope the equation is correct, I just copied it from the Net. Hmmm. Actually, it can't be since this cone is not flat on the top. Call it photographic license.

I see, it is all about the cone...

For me the important aspect of an ice cream cone is its volume (pi * r^2 * h/3)

fad
Re: Brooklyn jogger

TroiD wrote:

fad wrote:

[technical observation: It takes hard work, discipline and experience to realize that this image should not be cropped. The obvious, at least for me, is very difficult to master. ]

What seems obvious to me, is that it could use some lens correction. Unless you really like all that curvature. The girl seems to be leaning forward and toward the camera. So much I'm concerned she may tip over.

David

Well, you can say my cheese lacks affinage, but in this photo I do like the distortion.  I tried lens correction, and I prefer it without.  I'm delighted that you feel this matchstick of a woman might be blown off the page.   Artistic judgment and all that.

-- hide signature --

Frank

fad

Daedalus2000 wrote:

fad wrote:

Daedalus2000 wrote:

She has just given her mum the remains of an ice cream cone. I hope the equation is correct, I just copied it from the Net. Hmmm. Actually, it can't be since this cone is not flat on the top. Call it photographic license.

I see, it is all about the cone...

For me the important aspect of an ice cream cone is its volume (pi * r^2 * h/3)

Now you get the point.   An Asian immigrant mom is interested not in her child's joy, but her ability to ace tests.

-- hide signature --

Frank

Daedalus2000
Love you - Ignore you

Great forum, so here is a small contribution for your comments.

Love you - Ignore you

solveproblems Contributing Member • Posts: 877
Re: buttons

I agree, the right side is empty, so cropping is a solution

TroiD wrote:

solveproblems wrote:

Interesting characters in this image. The guy seems timidly proud. The woman next to him looks to be amused by the situation, while the other one goes on about her work... unperturbed. Do you think the box on the far right could be cropped out?

David

jacwashere
jacwashere Senior Member • Posts: 1,484
Re: Thirsty

xtoph wrote:

again, i like the arm coming into frame, and i like the dog and the man in the far bg.

the intersection of the scooter handle with the guy's face, though, dampens my enthusiasm for an otherwise really interesting, creative composition. it's so close to working ...

Thank you for both comments xtoph, yes it sucks and this was the 2nd attempt, the first one his face is ok but everything else isnt, including no arm!

Sal18 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,296
Re: Selfie accessory

A Monopod, if you have one,  serves the purpose of extending a camera out there. I use one to get height, or a difficult angle.

Sal

jacwashere
jacwashere Senior Member • Posts: 1,484
Writing down her thoughts

(know this because i asked her after i told her that i took her pic)

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads