The Sony a6000 Hotshoe connectivity guide

Started Jul 25, 2014 | Discussions
fasayed
fasayed New Member • Posts: 12
Re: YN RF-603C usage

great. Can you direct me to any link, where I can learn how to perform the mod?

fasayed's gear list:fasayed's gear list
Sony a6000 Canon EF-S 10-22mm F3.5-4.5 USM Canon EOS 80D Sony Vario-Tessar T* E 16-70mm F4 ZA OSS +5 more
Marky12
Marky12 Contributing Member • Posts: 765
Re: The Sony a6000 Hotshoe connectivity guide

I bought the Neewer TT560 which is kind of a copy of yongnuo 560 but even cheaper and even after sanding off the black paint It doesn't work at all. When turned on both flash and camera, sliding the flash into the hot shoe makes it randomly flash sometimes (as far as I know joining the center pin and ground makes it fire) but never when I press the shutter button. Works fine on S2 mode triggered by built in flash.

I got the same flash but have yet to scrape off the paint to test it. Did you sand down underneath the rail on the hot shoe? I'm a bit hesitant to do it if it didn't work for you. I use flash maybe 5% of the time anyway.

Marky12's gear list:Marky12's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony a7 III Tamron 28-75mm F2.8 III Tamron 17-28mm F2.8 Di III RXD Samyang AF 85mm F1.4 FE +2 more
Reiper Forum Member • Posts: 94

Underneath, sides and even around center pin, everything is sanded and doesn't work. I wish I knew anyone with standard DSLR to test the flash and If I had some spare money I would buy a yongnuo to see if the camera's shoe works.

Marky12

Reiper wrote:

Underneath, sides and even around center pin, everything is sanded and doesn't work. I wish I knew anyone with standard DSLR to test the flash and If I had some spare money I would buy a yongnuo to see if the camera's shoe works.

I got it to work. Mine actually came with no paint on the side rails. I just had to tighten it a bit. Try pushing it in and twisting it counter clockwise a bit and then tighten it. Good luck.

Sony RX100 Sony a7 III Tamron 28-75mm F2.8 III Tamron 17-28mm F2.8 Di III RXD Samyang AF 85mm F1.4 FE +2 more
JHooper New Member • Posts: 20

I tried two Phottix Mitros+ flashes that were released recently with the Sony multi-interface shoe and couldn't get either one to fire. Both got returned to B&H.  I didn't really think about this mod since they were supposed to be the correct mount.  Wondering now if I had sanded the rails if they would have worked...Do I try again or just move on?

Whats the consenus on the Neewer tt850 with the lithium batteries? It'd be nice to not have to change batteries in the flash, but have read there's been some problems with the batteries heating up and expanding.

fasayed
fasayed New Member • Posts: 12

I got the yougnou RF 603c to work with the mod.

fasayed's gear list:fasayed's gear list
Sony a6000 Canon EF-S 10-22mm F3.5-4.5 USM Canon EOS 80D Sony Vario-Tessar T* E 16-70mm F4 ZA OSS +5 more
Jeztastic Junior Member • Posts: 25

I have the same problem with my A7ii. The hotshoe is painted all black, and none of my flashes or triggers will fire. I am about to try removing paint from the underside of the rails, and will report back.

Jeztastic's gear list:Jeztastic's gear list
Sony a7 II
ajlowndes Forum Member • Posts: 60

newenglandrocks wrote:

Is anyone having problems with the silver a6000 cameras? I just looked at mine and the contact is not painted black.

Albert

I have the Silver a6000... was surprised when I came across this thread, I have had the YN603 radio triggers (one modded to be the dedicated trigger) for a couple of years with no problems/misfires noted at all. Must be an issue only with the black a6000.

ajlowndes's gear list:ajlowndes's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony a6000 Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Tamron 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 Di III VC +3 more
Admsky New Member • Posts: 1

fasayed wrote:

I got the yougnou RF 603c to work with the mod.

Hi,

I have a question if you have 603c first version or 603c II? I tried to scratch paint little bit and I can't fire my yongnuo with my Sony hx50.

Marky12
tbs80 New Member • Posts: 2

Hey guy's,

does anyone know if you can fire a Canon ST-E3-RT with the a6000? i have sanded the rails but don't seem to get any triggering. I also have the Canon 600ex-RT flashes which will fire, but however won't transmit a signal when i make it a master... The same as the ST-E3-RT. People say they have got the Yongnuo copy of the canon transmitter to work... so i'm unsure why the canon one won't work. Any ideas?

salsaguy
salsaguy Regular Member • Posts: 132

Marky12 wrote:

https://youtu.be/WdQKg8V8hzk

Yes this ^^^^^^ the REAL problem is now solved.

You need to make sure the pin is engaged properly. No sanding required after all this time,

There will be play on side to side. Some flashes dont need to be pushed all the way into the hotshoe as would be logical to "make sure its in there tight" but that is not how to make it work,

This is why Sony flashes work all the time....different dimensional spacing and different contact point than most other flashes

watch his 3rd video for the real solution

salsaguy's gear list:salsaguy's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Canon PowerShot S120 Canon EOS 60D Sony Alpha NEX-7 Canon EOS 6D +19 more
Photoman
Photoman Regular Member • Posts: 423

salsaguy wrote:

Marky12 wrote:

You need to make sure the pin is engaged properly. No sanding required after all this time,

There will be play on side to side. Some flashes dont need to be pushed all the way into the hotshoe as would be logical to "make sure its in there tight" but that is not how to make it work,

This is why Sony flashes work all the time....different dimensional spacing and different contact point than most other flashes

Thanks for the info.

Photoman's gear list:Photoman's gear list
Canon PowerShot 350 Canon PowerShot 600 Canon PowerShot A5 Canon PowerShot Pro90 IS Casio Exilim Pro EX-F1 +43 more
OP Xanmato Forum Member • Posts: 81

Photoman wrote:

salsaguy wrote:

Marky12 wrote:

Thanks for the info.

Unfortunately this is not the solution to the problem.

Proof?

I can fire the flash without the locking pin deployed. I even covered it with tape and was still able to fire. The locking pin does nothing except keeping the device in the shoe. There are no wires connected, and the lack of separation insulation between the foot and the pin shows it can be nothing else other than an extra grounding point. Though the a6000 locking pin hole is also painted so it doesn't matter in that regard.

Have good ground/positive contact points, and keep your contacts clean. That is all that is needed. I can 'disable' my flash simply by running my finger over the center firing pad on the camera. The thin layer of oil residue is all it takes to disrupt an electrical connection.

Xanmato's gear list:Xanmato's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS Sony E 20mm F2.8 +3 more
salsaguy

But the locking pin does properly space/center the flash and hotshoe so the OTHER pins are located in contact to where they need to be that was his whole point in the video

if you align it all the way forward on some flashes as you would think you should to "get it tight/on the hotshoe" so its solid, it will be too far forward and not work since the pins underneath wont align

Canon PowerShot G12 Canon PowerShot S120 Canon EOS 60D Sony Alpha NEX-7 Canon EOS 6D +19 more
salsaguy

Here are my test results so far:

Background info:

camera - Sony a6000 black version. I have NOT scraped off the pain on the hotshoe.

I did take a little sandpaper and slightly do the underside of the hotshoe rails.

I was doing what Lavikka (from YouTube) suggested to ensure the locking pin was engaging by trying to find the "sweet spot" of forward/backward in the hotshoe slot location to ensure the flash contacts would line up with the hotshoe contacts.

See video here: https://youtu.be/WdQKg8V8hzk

Flash test results:

Flash # 1 = Canon Speedlite 320EX

Set to ON and either Manual or Auto

Results = Fires EVERY TIME with no issues = GOOD

Flash # 2 = Canon 430 EX ii

Results = Cant get it to fire at all.

Been playing with different locations to try and make it work but nothing

Flash # 3 = Phottix Mitros+ (transceiver flash) using OFF CAMERA (as this flash doesnt properly fit on the a6000 hotshoe of due to the rubber guard on the bottom/around the hotshoe

Using Phottix Odin TCU off camera flash master commander/transmitter

Set both flash and commander to Group A Channel 1

Results: If I hit the TEST button on the TCU commander of the Odin I can get the off camera Mitros+ flash to work. It fires.

If I hit the "bulb flash light symbol, which is the modeling light, that also works and goes off on the off camera flash.

So obviously there is communication and connection on the hotshoe to the master TCU commander.....BUT

When I hit the shutter button on the a6000 the flash does NOT fire!!!

I cant figure it out

Test 4:

I put my Canon 430 EX ii flash on one of the Phottix Odin v1.5 off camera receivers I have that is part of my Odin system. Odin TCU master commander on the Sony a6000.

Same setup as  Flash 3 test above. Channel 1 Group A

Same results. Test light fires the flash OK. Modeling light works fine as well

But flash does not fire when I hit the shutter button on the a6000

I will be going to an event tomorrow hosted by Sony Artisan Jason Lanier so hopefully he cna help me figure it out......

But for now the small simple compact Canon 320 EX (which has a receiver to use as an optical off camera flash) and an LED video light, is a great size and form factor for the a6000 and works perfectly every time!!

salsaguy

OP Xanmato Forum Member • Posts: 81

salsaguy wrote:

But the locking pin does properly space/center the flash and hotshoe so the OTHER pins are located in contact to where they need to be that was his whole point in the video

if you align it all the way forward on some flashes as you would think you should to "get it tight/on the hotshoe" so its solid, it will be too far forward and not work since the pins underneath wont align

The a6000 only has a single pin, the firing one in the center. Any pins in any other hotshoe device are completely useless as sony has moved to the multi-interface pin design.

The center pin pad is also big enough to warrant a massive near 1/4" leeway in pin movement. If your hotshoe device were to miss this center pad, you would have the crappiest designed, non iso conforming device I have ever seen. You would literally need a chinese knockoff of a chinese knockoff. Since the hotshoe rails are half the width of the center pin pad, your flash would literally be able to be lifted out of the hotshoe in order for the pin to miss that pad due to the amount of x axis movement required.

I just tested 2 different yongnuo flashes with the locking pins retracted. Both units hit the pad dead center when pushed in as normal. X axis pin movement from an un-tightened unit was less than 1/16th of an inch.

Bottom line is that the iso standard for a hotshoe gives enough tolerance to center pin placement that it would be a QA disaster for a flash or other device to not be able to align its center firing pin onto a hotshoe's center pad. The locking pin plays no part in getting the flash to fire.

[Note that this subject ONLY applies to the a6000, and other single pin designs. Other cameras with multi pin hotshoes use triple locking pins to stabilize x and y axis pin movement, as pins located farther away from the center pin are more susceptible to rotational movement. The center pin however, remains highly unaffected as it is basically the center pivot point.]

Xanmato's gear list:Xanmato's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS Sony E 20mm F2.8 +3 more
salsaguy
Using non Sony flashes on the a6000 (Update - it now works! or does it??)

6/19/15 330am Update:

I played around with it some more.....

Did the prying up of the spring rails on the underside of the a6000 hotshoe (as per the Lavikka trick Youtube video) and now my Canon 430 EX ii flash works perfectly!!!!

Still has the black paint on the hotshoe

BUT.....bad news is now the smaller 320 EX that worked before I did the prying of the rails trick now DOESNT work!!!

What the heck is going on here!?!

This is insane

salsaguy
Solution to fix the Sony a6000 painted hotshoe issue: Buy an HC-511 adapter

Well I did some more playing around today...sanded off a little more from under the rals and got the Canon 430 EX ii to fire a little better but I had to do the "twist it to the right" trick for it to work.

If I twisted the flash to the left it didnt work. Also if I pointed the camera face down (with the weight of the flash putting force on the hotshoe) it would sometimes work but if I held the camera straight ahead it didnt work...sooo

I happen to attend a workshop tonight hosted by none other than Sony Artistan Jason Lanier.

After the class I asked him if he knew of a fix for the painted hotshoe issue. Well one of his assistants/interns overheard me and in 5 seconds pulled out the adapter that now makes all my Canon flashes (430EXii) work 100% of the time without and twisting or turning or holding the flash a certain way to any scratching off of the black paint!!!! It also allowed me to use my Phottix Mitros+ for Canon on my a6000 and fire perfectly. Get this and you will be golden. Sadly Amazon wanted $30 but its only $17 on ebay. If anyone knows of a cheaper option let us know. Just ordered mine. Will have to wait a while for it to arrive from China but..at least I wont have to deal with this stupid problem any more.

Look for HC-511 Hotshoe flash adapter from Sony to Canon

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251723250087?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Good luck

Heritage Cameras
Heritage Cameras Senior Member • Posts: 1,875
Re: Solution to fix the Sony a6000 painted hotshoe issue: Buy an HC-511 adapter

salsaguy wrote:

Look for HC-511 Hotshoe flash adapter from Sony to Canon

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251723250087

One of the images in that listing shows that there are extra electrical contacts in the shoe, in addition to the central synchronising contact. I wonder what they're used for – some attempt at dedicated operation, perhaps?

The listing also says the adapter is NOT suitable for the A6000 or A7, which is odd...

-- hide signature --

Dave, HCL

Heritage Cameras's gear list:Heritage Cameras's gear list
Sony a7
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads