HVL-F20M Question

Started Jul 24, 2014 | Questions
a100ps
a100ps Regular Member • Posts: 122
HVL-F20M Question

It appears that the F20M flash can wirelessly control an off camera Sony flash, BUT... can it do this and also provide additional fill flash? This would be with the F20M used atop of an A77II.

Thanks in advance; Ronzo

a100ps's gear list:a100ps's gear list
Olympus 14-150 F4-5.6 II
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Sony SLT-A77
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Glenn Veteran Member • Posts: 7,892
Re: HVL-F20M Question

only a little and only if you shoot with enough sensitivity. usually this isn't desirable. i'd just use a reflector. Also it's off axis so the subject won't look flashed

a100ps
OP a100ps Regular Member • Posts: 122

Glenn wrote:

only a little and only if you shoot with enough sensitivity. usually this isn't desirable. i'd just use a reflector. Also it's off axis so the subject won't look flashed

I was thinking more in terms of using it in doors and on the fly, where I would have my F56AM on a stand with an umbrella. Several times I encounter a dark situation where even dragging the shutter isn't the best option. Just a little "puff" to help fill in the shadows would help. With my A700 I would occasionally hold a second F56 in my other hand, dialed right down, but it is terribly awkward holding both.

Ronzo

Olympus 14-150 F4-5.6 II
sybersitizen Veteran Member • Posts: 9,461

a100ps wrote:

I was thinking more in terms of using it in doors and on the fly, where I would have my F56AM on a stand with an umbrella... Just a little "puff" to help fill in the shadows would help.

The F20M's final sync flash, which does contribute light to the scene, is of a fixed intensity. This means you have some control over how much relative light it contributes. If you want more relative light from it as compared to the remote flash, use a larger aperture and/or higher ISO and/or shorter subject distance. If you want less light, use a smaller aperture and/or lower ISO and/or longer subject distance.

And you can use the pop-up flash of the camera in exactly the same way.

cplunk Senior Member • Posts: 1,825

a100ps wrote:

It appears that the F20M flash can wirelessly control an off camera Sony flash, BUT... can it do this and also provide additional fill flash? This would be with the F20M used atop of an A77II.

Thanks in advance; Ronzo

You may want to research this a bit further, but I don't believe that the hvl-20m is going provide anything as a wireless controller that the on board pop-up doesn't.

About the only thing the hvl-20m can do the on board can't is rotate the reflector up to bounce off the ceiling, and use a separate battery.

cplunk's gear list:cplunk's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony Alpha DSLR-A900 Sony Alpha DSLR-A330 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha a99 +22 more
luckypanda Junior Member • Posts: 45

As others have already noted, the F20 would only supply a dim and fixed intensity flash while performing as a wireless trigger.

The F43 and larger new Sony flashes have configurable wireless ratio control while acting as flash commander so you can allow the F43 trigger to contribute in a meaningful way, ex. 2:1 ratio where the trigger provides more light than the wireless flash source, ex. a distant F60 behind the subject.

a100ps
OP a100ps Regular Member • Posts: 122

luckypanda wrote:

As others have already noted, the F20 would only supply a dim and fixed intensity flash while performing as a wireless trigger.

The F43 and larger new Sony flashes have configurable wireless ratio control while acting as flash commander so you can allow the F43 trigger to contribute in a meaningful way, ex. 2:1 ratio where the trigger provides more light than the wireless flash source, ex. a distant F60 behind the subject.

Thanks luckypanda, that was the info I was looking for. I don't suppose a F43 mounted on an A77II could do ratio flash with an old F56 mounted on a stand with umbrella?

Ronzo

Olympus 14-150 F4-5.6 II
sybersitizen Veteran Member • Posts: 9,461

a100ps wrote:

I don't suppose a F43 mounted on an A77II could do ratio flash with an old F56 mounted on a stand with umbrella?

Why not? The procedure for doing exactly that is described in the F43M user manual.

With regards to compatibility with the F56, I'm not sure, but you may be out of luck. I use the F43M mounted on the A99 to do ratio flash with a F43AM (older Minolta shoe) that's on a remote stand.

Here's a copy & paste from the F43M manual (http://download.sony-asia.com/consumer/IM/4463175111.pdf) on ratio flash:

[C] Multiple wireless flash

photography with lighting ratio

control

When using the DSLR-A900, DSLR-A850, DSLR-A700, SLT-A99V, SLT-A77V,

SLT-A65V, SLT-A57, SLT-A37, NEX-7, NEX-6, DSC-RX1 or DSC-RX1R, you

can perform wireless flash photography while controlling the lighting ratio between

a maximum of 3 groups including the controller and two groups of off-camera flash

units.

Controller: HVL-F43M (this unit)

Off-camera flashes: HVL-F58AM, HVL-F60M, HVL-F43AM, HVL-F43M,

HVL-F42AM

These flash units can be set in 2 groups (RMT and RMT2).

• Any combination of HVL-F58AM, HVL-F60M, HVL-F43AM, HVL-F43M and

HVL-F42AM can be used in the [RMT] group. HVL-F58AM, HVL-F60M, HVLF43AM

or HVL-F43M set to [CTRL1] (CTRL+ on the LCD display) can be used in

the [RMT2] group.

• HVL-F42AM being used as an off-camera flash is recognized as the [RMT] group.

When using the HVL-F42AM as an off-camera flash in 3-group wireless flash

photography, use an HVL-F58AM, HVL-F60M, HVL-F43AM or HVL-F43M as the

other off-camera flash which can be set to [RMT2].

• When using the DSLR-A900, DSLR-A850, SLT-A99V, SLT-A77V, SLT-A65V,

SLT-A57, SLT-A37, NEX-7, NEX-6, DSC-RX1 or DSC-RX1R, you can use an HVLF56AM

and/or HVL-F36AM as off-camera flashes. Set the wireless controller mode

of the HVL-F43M to [CTRL2] ([CTRL] on the LCD display). In this mode, the HVLF56AM

and/or HVL-F36AM are in the [RMT] group, and you can control the lighting

ratio of up to 2 groups using a HVL-F58AM, HVL-F60M, HVL-F43AM or HVLF43M

as a controller. For details on setting the controller mode, see [C03] in “Custom

settings” (page 70).

Actually I re-read that and it may work with the F56AM in fact.

Jake

IanML Senior Member • Posts: 1,653

It will work.

For full details, scroll down to the bottom table here.  Michael's site is a treasure trove of information for the Alpha photographer.

You will see that, with the F56/5600 off-camera, you can have ratio control with two flash groups, one of which is the controller group.

-- hide signature --

Ian

IanML's gear list:IanML's gear list
Sony SLT-A33 Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony SLT-A57 Sony a77 II +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads