Tango - Sony a99 / Rokinon 35mm f/1.4

Started Jul 24, 2014 | Discussions
moimoi
moimoi Veteran Member • Posts: 4,223

Some of you may start to know that I really like the combo a99 / Roki 35mm. Here is another one, it is called Tango:

C&C are welcome:

-- hide signature --

http://www.maximesiegler.com/
https://www.facebook.com/maxime.siegler.photography
Photography is about time, space, expression, and - ultimately - capturing light. This formula may sound easy, but actually capturing the "ideal" photograph is far more complex to accomplish as our own perceptions and responses vary according to each individual. Photography is inherently driven by human subjectivity, but the general feeling is that a superb photograph is widely appreciated, as it commonly depicts a striking and universal concept. I believe this process should be sought by many of us, who deeply enjoy capturing and sharing photographs that embrace life and depict what we are.

moimoi's gear list:moimoi's gear list
Fujifilm X100T Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM +4 more
Sony Alpha a99
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
steelhead3 Veteran Member • Posts: 7,340
Re: Tango - Sony a99 / Rokinon 35mm f/1.4

I am going to be a little cranky here (please forgive me); with a 1,4, I would of isolated the background more.  With the small main characters (that guy is cut), I found my eye traveling to the peanut gallery and left wondering what I was looking at.  Mike

steelhead3's gear list:steelhead3's gear list
Sony a77 II
moimoi
OP moimoi Veteran Member • Posts: 4,223

I took the shot at f/1.4.

-- hide signature --

Photography is about time, space, expression, and - ultimately - capturing light. This formula may sound easy, but actually capturing the "ideal" photograph is far more complex to accomplish as our own perceptions and responses vary according to each individual. Photography is inherently driven by human subjectivity, but the general feeling is that a superb photograph is widely appreciated, as it commonly depicts a striking and universal concept. I believe this process should be sought by many of us, who deeply enjoy capturing and sharing photographs that embrace life and depict what we are.

Fujifilm X100T Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM +4 more
Ralf B
Ralf B Veteran Member • Posts: 8,170

Unfortunate pose (the guy looks like a drunk - I tango myself and was expecting something very different) and whirly bokeh in the image corners which draw the attention as the center subjects are too small. I liked your shot "leap" a thousand times more.

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Ralf
www.ralfralph.smugmug.com

Ralf B's gear list:Ralf B's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A900 Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Sony SLT-A55 Sony Alpha a99 Sony 16-35mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* +14 more
moimoi

Ralf B wrote:

Unfortunate pose (the guy looks like a drunk - I tango myself and was expecting something very different) and whirly bokeh in the image corners which draw the attention as the center subjects are too small. I liked your shot "leap" a thousand times more.

Interesting comment.

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Ralf
www.ralfralph.smugmug.com

-- hide signature --

Chimere
Chimere Senior Member • Posts: 1,602

Have to join the others with my five cents worth of wisdom. Unfortunately I find not much good to say. The essences of Tango - emotion, motion, closeness, protest, rebellion ? - are lacking. The male looks to me like an out of place mannequin.

To make the subject "popping out" 35 mm - specially on FF A99 - may not be the best choice, in my opinion - not only for the lack of shallow DFO. The use of longer FL provides closeness and intimacy for the image.

Then I might be riding on a quite different wave in the feel for photography then the OP, who seems to prefer putting subjects in the center (see the gallery). That may not work well in a dance pose, where movement - space to move into ? - is essential.

Doing the Tango, I would attempt to get a close up, while showing most of the bodies, providing also detail on the facial expression of the performers, showing emotion, an essential part of Tango - and photography.

Chimere

moimoi

Chimere wrote:

Have to join the others with my five cents worth of wisdom. Unfortunately I find not much good to say. The essences of Tango - emotion, motion, closeness, protest, rebellion ? - are lacking. The male looks to me like an out of place mannequin.

It was an outdoor free class in a hot day. I could not expect to shoot in the best conditions. As your comment about the male dancer, I do not think that's relevant to photography.

To make the subject "popping out" 35 mm - specially on FF A99 - may not be the best choice, in my opinion - not only for the lack of shallow DFO. The use of longer FL provides closeness and intimacy for the image.

I beg to differ on the usage of 35mm with FF, I think it is quite a superb combo. DOF is only part of the equation. For environmental portrait and street photography, I think the 35mm is far superior in versatility to 50 mm.

Then I might be riding on a quite different wave in the feel for photography then the OP, who seems to prefer putting subjects in the center (see the gallery). That may not work well in a dance pose, where movement - space to move into ? - is essential.

It depends. I think the 2/3 rd rule is not quite right when shooting people, but sometime it works fine. But no, I don't necessarily shoot my subject in the middle.

Doing the Tango, I would attempt to get a close up, while showing most of the bodies, providing also detail on the facial expression of the performers, showing emotion, an essential part of Tango - and photography.

It is all about experimentation, sometime it works, sometime it does not. I get different feedback from every source, and it tends to help how to tackle subsequent shooting sessions.

Thanks for your input.

Moimoi

Chimere

-- hide signature --

Chimere

Yes, you confirm well that we are on different pages with regard to photography, which should give fertile ground for beneficial discussions. Finally, we do this - CC's ? - perhaps to learn from each other, but at least accomplish understanding ?

If the condition of the male dancer - the central eye catching topic in the image - is of no importance to the image, what is ?

The A99 and the Rokinon 35 mm may be a terrific combo, yes, for street photography. But surely not for all situations. In my opinion, not for this one - if it is dance: "Tango". Dance is an intimate "thing", needs expression of closeness. Difficult to do with a WA. To lift the performers off the background, limited DOF is needed. Detail - facial expressions ? - are hard to capture with it.

Finally, the problem then with your image may be the title indicating the story it is supposed to tell.

What have others to say to the topic ?

Chimere

moimoi

Chimere wrote:

Yes, you confirm well that we are on different pages with regard to photography, which should give fertile ground for beneficial discussions. Finally, we do this - CC's ? - perhaps to learn from each other, but at least accomplish understanding ?

Not necessarily. I do this to get feedback, and I got some, then I move on, and decide what to do and what not to do next. It seems to be the general feeling on this board, but I got quite some different feedback somewhere else. It is actually quite interesting to get both sides, it is in fact instructive.

If the condition of the male dancer - the central eye catching topic in the image - is of no importance to the image, what is ?

You said "The male looks to me like an out of place mannequin". Tell me how it is relevant in photography. Whether he is a good looking chap or not has absolutely no relevance in what the photograph is about.

What I can tell you is that this guy was probably a MUCH better dancer than most of us.

The A99 and the Rokinon 35 mm may be a terrific combo, yes, for street photography. But surely not for all situations. In my opinion, not for this one - if it is dance: "Tango". Dance is an intimate "thing", needs expression of closeness. Difficult to do with a WA. To lift the performers off the background, limited DOF is needed. Detail - facial expressions ? - are hard to capture with it.

I think it is more a style than anything else. I typically don't follow rules, and follow more my instinct, and it seems to work best for me. My best shots are generally those that break the golden rules.

Finally, the problem then with your image may be the title indicating the story it is supposed to tell.

It is just some Tango, nothing else, nothing more.

What have others to say to the topic ?

Chimere

-- hide signature --

Chimere

moimoi wrote:

If the condition of the male dancer - the central eye catching topic in the image - is of no importance to the image, what is then ?

You said "The male looks to me like an out of place mannequin". Tell me how it is relevant in photography. Whether he is a good looking chap or not has absolutely no relevance in what the photograph is about.

What I can tell you is that this guy was probably a MUCH better dancer than most of us.

The male might be a good dancer, and we are not interested if he is handsome, or not. The camera caught him in an very unfortunate pose. Specially for "Tango". "Tango" is a closed formation dance (see pic below: courtesy of Wikipedia), and no jumping. My opinion, but perhaps confirmed with previous post (see "cut out", much better than "mannequin").

Granted, timing is difficult with fast dance action. I would have gone in rapid shoot mode, and select the best suited frame to fit the title and my taste.

I think it is more a style than anything else. I typically don't follow rules, and follow more my instinct, and it seems to work best for me. My best shots are generally those that break the golden rules.

Yes, rules. They are there not by accident. Breaking them can create special effects. Which one would that be in that "Tango" picture ? I looked at your portfolio, perhaps mostly at the architecture collection though. From there it appears to me that you are in love with breaking that rule of the thirds. Your style, that is fine. However, breaking rules just because they can be broken does not create better results.

A rule which to follow would have been of benefit for your picture, is the concept of having always more than one, best limited to two, obvious subjects in one image. The idea being that the eye of the viewer will scan back and forth while taking in the story. In the Tango picture than I would have arranged for an observer (head and shoulder pic from behind) grossly out of focus, to the left 1/3, with the dancers to the right top third. It would give the picture depth, puts the viewer into the position of the observer.

Placing the dancers into one third, alone, would have made the people sitting on the bench behind the second subject - a much better image, in my opinion.

To confirm that your instincts are right, put the image into the challenge "my best shot of the week" and see which placement it gets. If you think it does not matter if your images touch the audience, but must please yourself first, asking for feed back is of no good purpose.

Just my opinion and experiences, no lecturing intended.

No bad feelings, eh ?

Changed my mind: included also one of my "Tango" shots, street photography.

Chimere

moimoi

Chimere wrote:

Do you think it is a good shot?

-- hide signature --

Chimere

Nothing special, a keeper, but have done worse, the best I could make of the given the situation, showing the fun and emotion of dance.

What do you find on bad in it ?

Chimere

moimoi

Chimere wrote:

Nothing special, a keeper, but have done worse, the best I could make of the given the situation, showing the fun and emotion of dance.

Chimere

Here is one that breaks all rules.  most likely a 35 mm lens, subject is centered, disturbing background (barn), and 1:1 ratio sky:ground....  I don't see any rules in this shot, but it is a pretty darn good shot.

-- hide signature --

Chimere

moimoi wrote:

Chimere wrote:

Chimere

Here is one that breaks all rules. most likely a 35 mm lens, subject is centered, disturbing background (barn), and 1:1 ratio sky:ground.... I don't see any rules in this shot, but it is a pretty darn good shot.

-- hide signature --

No rules ? I see plenty, half of them broken. Two subjects, the main in the middle, horizon in the middle (granted, positive breaks). One more not broken rule: diagonal lines leading to the main subject.

Nice picture, but just good enough to illustrate the magic of Pink Floyd.

You do not respond to previous topics / signing off.

Chimere

moimoi

You see plenty but half broken.

Time to get a drink....
--

Ari Aikomus
Ari Aikomus Veteran Member • Posts: 9,331
I think it's a pretty nice shot for my taste!...n/t
-- hide signature --

- Ari Aikomus -
'Why should I feel lonely ? is not our planet in the Milky way?'

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads