Eucalytus flower macro with A7r. 23 photos stacked.

Started Jul 23, 2014 | Discussions
OvinceZ
OvinceZ Senior Member • Posts: 2,714
Eucalytus flower macro with A7r. 23 photos stacked.

First time in 25 years I have seen this flower on a tree outside my place in Sydney. It is the middle of our so-called winter but flowers still bloom here. So out comes the tripod and 100 Canon macro lens. Used a segmented plastic clamp attached to the tripod and gripped the branch just a bit to the left of the photo. Using focus peaking I took 23 photos and then stacked them with Zerene Stack. Did a beautiful job right away with Pmax.

Edited in Photoshop Camera Raw then Perfect Effects. Very pleased with the detail and depth of field. Photos were at f/5.6 and 1/15 of a second. ISO 100.

Click on the bottom to see the original full size photo. Not many people post full size photos on this site. I honestly didn't want to post it here but it demonstrates a lot about the Sony A7r. Without focus stacking I doubt I could have done this photo. Maybe using a rail. I never used magnified view.

Vince

Zerene stack of 23 photos  f/5.6  1/15 sec  ISO 100

OvinceZ's gear list:OvinceZ's gear list
Sigma DP3 Merrill Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 60D Sony Alpha a7R II Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM +14 more
Sony Alpha a7R
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
RonFrank
RonFrank Senior Member • Posts: 2,130
Re: Eucalytus flower macro with A7r. 23 photos stacked.

Very nice! Not the lovely jewel like many flowers, but the execution is well done.

RonFrank's gear list:RonFrank's gear list
Nikon D1X Nikon D200 Nikon D300S Sony a6000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED VR +7 more
lightgrabber Contributing Member • Posts: 738
Re: Eucalytus flower macro with A7r. 23 photos stacked.

OvinceZ wrote:

First time in 25 years I have seen this flower on a tree outside my place in Sydney. It is the middle of our so-called winter but flowers still bloom here. So out comes the tripod and 100 Canon macro lens. Used a segmented plastic clamp attached to the tripod and gripped the branch just a bit to the left of the photo. Using focus peaking I took 23 photos and then stacked them with Zerene Stack. Did a beautiful job right away with Pmax.

Edited in Photoshop Camera Raw then Perfect Effects. Very pleased with the detail and depth of field. Photos were at f/5.6 and 1/15 of a second. ISO 100.

Click on the bottom to see the original full size photo. Not many people post full size photos on this site. I honestly didn't want to post it here but it demonstrates a lot about the Sony A7r. Without focus stacking I doubt I could have done this photo. Maybe using a rail. I never used magnified view.

Vince

Zerene stack of 23 photos f/5.6 1/15 sec ISO 100

Nice detailed shot.

I've done focus stacking on flowers, but never with that many images , more like 8 or 10 usually but this flower is a very deep one with a lot of levels so I'm guess you needed a lot of images to get all the parts in sharp.

Mike Fewster Veteran Member • Posts: 6,320
Re: I think it is a Hakea, not a Eucalypt, however..

OvinceZ wrote:

Vince

Zerene stack of 23 photos f/5.6 1/15 sec ISO 100

That's a very nice image. I am going to have to try that technique. Thanks for sharing.

I have two of those trees (slightly different colour flower variety) in my garden in Adelaide.

-- hide signature --

Mike Fewster
Adelaide Australia

Mike Fewster's gear list:Mike Fewster's gear list
Sony RX1 Sony Alpha a7R II
philip pj Senior Member • Posts: 1,608
Re: I think it is a Hakea, not a Eucalypt, however..

The flowers in Australia are a bit like the people, Ron

Marti58
MOD Marti58 Forum Pro • Posts: 23,645
Very nice

Did you ever made a Photo of it with Sigma DP3 Merrill  or can you make a comparison shot ?

rgds Marti

-- hide signature --

*All my Post Processing is done with Capture NX2*
Flickr Photo's
Galleries on DPR

Marti58's gear list:Marti58's gear list
Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Nikon 1 Nikkor 10mm f/2.8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS1 Canon PowerShot S95 Nikon Coolpix P500 +37 more
Mike Fewster Veteran Member • Posts: 6,320
Re: Zerene

I just checked out the software you used. That is very cool stuff. Not sure that I want it sufficiently to pay that much for it, bit if macro photography is your bag, it looks to be quite a program. Thanks for the heads up as well as the shot.

-- hide signature --

Mike Fewster
Adelaide Australia

Mike Fewster's gear list:Mike Fewster's gear list
Sony RX1 Sony Alpha a7R II
OvinceZ
OP OvinceZ Senior Member • Posts: 2,714
Hakea it is.

Hakea is part of the Grevillea family or whatever the classification is..

thanks,

Vince

Sigma DP3 Merrill Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 60D Sony Alpha a7R II Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM +14 more
OvinceZ
Re: Very nice

Marti58 wrote:

Did you ever made a Photo of it with Sigma DP3 Merrill or can you make a comparison shot ?

rgds Marti

-- hide signature --

*All my Post Processing is done with Capture NX2*
Flickr Photo's
Galleries on DPR

The Sigma is outstanding for flowers. However it is not so easy to stack photos using manual focusing.

Focus peaking on the Sony makes stacking a breeze.

OvinceZ
Re: Zerene stacking

Mike Fewster wrote:

I just checked out the software you used. That is very cool stuff. Not sure that I want it sufficiently to pay that much for it, bit if macro photography is your bag, it looks to be quite a program. Thanks for the heads up as well as the shot.

-- hide signature --

Mike Fewster
Adelaide Australia

Thanks, Mike. You can stack photos using Photoshop. You use Bridge to select the photos, then go to options and select add in layers in Photoshop.  Then in Photoshop you select all layers and open edit and align all layers. Next in edit you blend all layers.   Works okay some of the time.

Zerene is much more sophisticated and works with more files.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads