A digital printer's "Bible"

Started Jul 22, 2014 | Discussions
gregbartgis
gregbartgis Regular Member • Posts: 262
A digital printer's "Bible"

Hi, all!

I'd like some advice. I would like to purchase a book covering all aspects of digital printing. I want something  which will cover it thoroughly touching on all aspects including settings, setup, editing tools, sizing, choosing papers, sizing charts - in other words a fairly encyclopedic text. Is t6hewre such a book? Will I need to purchase a library - or jus a couple of books? cI want print - I love to read BOOKS. I may be asking too basic a question, but iof any of you has a favorite, I'd like to know about it and why you like it. As you can tell, I'm new to digital printing, but fully expect to be able to do the same level prinmting I did when I was printing on sensitized media. Anything and everything. Nothing will be considered too basic or too complex. I want it all!

Thanks in advance!

`

-- hide signature --

Olympus is king where Inkon and Canon dropped the ball........

gregbartgis's gear list:gregbartgis's gear list
Voigtlander Nokton 17.5mm F0.95 Aspherical Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm F2.8 ASPH OIS +44 more
Hugowolf Forum Pro • Posts: 12,674
Re: A digital printer's "Bible"

The Digital Print, by Jeff Schewe, comes to mind.

Brian A

Howard Moftich Veteran Member • Posts: 8,777

you may want to check out the 'From Camera to Print' video series from Luminous Landscape

Don Forum Member • Posts: 54

I've found "Fine Art Printing for Photographers" by Steinmueller and Gulbins to be an excellent resource.

Don

(unknown member) Veteran Member • Posts: 4,585

Don wrote:

I've found "Fine Art Printing for Photographers" by Steinmueller and Gulbins to be an excellent resource.

Don

Same here. I also considered getting the Digital Print as well but settled on Fine Art since I looked at it some years back.

Anyway Fine Art Printing has everything you're asking for and more.

-- hide signature --

New to this forum, not to forums!

AusPic Regular Member • Posts: 331

Great question glad you asked it, and thanks to the posters, useful references - thanks

-- hide signature --

Andrew G

soloryb Senior Member • Posts: 2,343

gregbartgis wrote:

Hi, all!

I'd like some advice. I would like to purchase a book covering all aspects of digital printing. I want something which will cover it thoroughly touching on all aspects including settings, setup, editing tools, sizing, choosing papers, sizing charts - in other words a fairly encyclopedic text. Is t6hewre such a book? Will I need to purchase a library - or jus a couple of books? cI want print - I love to read BOOKS. I may be asking too basic a question, but iof any of you has a favorite, I'd like to know about it and why you like it. As you can tell, I'm new to digital printing, but fully expect to be able to do the same level prinmting I did when I was printing on sensitized media. Anything and everything. Nothing will be considered too basic or too complex. I want it all!

Thanks in advance!

`

Another vote for Jeff Schewe's The Digital Print. Even if you get other such books, this one is worth reading.

Something to look out for in your quest; books on digital printing can be very date sensitive because the technology changes so rapidly.

soloryb

soloryb's gear list:soloryb's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF Fisheye-Nikkor 16mm f/2.8D +9 more
gregbartgis
OP gregbartgis Regular Member • Posts: 262

Thanks to all for your input. I have a Canon Pixma Pro -1 and am slowly gearing up to print my cache of photos. As I am getting started so late and so slowly I'm very aware of how rapidly technology is changing. I'm banking on things slowing just a bit so that I may hop aboard. I lao have a huge collection of prints, negs and slides to digitize. I've got a long row to hoe........

Voigtlander Nokton 17.5mm F0.95 Aspherical Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm F2.8 ASPH OIS +44 more
gregbartgis

I've set aside both books and have picked out a few more on Amazon. One is "Digital Assets Management" (DAM). Another is Schewe's Digital negatives book (title escapes me. Another is the Vuescan bible. I have Vuescan and hope to get some use out of it. Have to wait 'til paychecks hit before pushing the nuke my checking account button.

-- hide signature --

Can’t speak for Jeff Schewe’s Digital Print, but I do have his "The Digital Negative" book, and though I haven’t completely gone through it, it does appear to be a pretty good book.

As for Uwe Steinmueller’s Fine Art Printing for photographers, this too is a pretty good book with lots of information including an appendix on various printers, papers, framing, etc. This is the third edition published in 2013 and does cover the most recent line of printers as well as Photoshop CS6.

I’m sure the other book (Digital Print) is good as well, but I can’t say what it does or doesn’t cover.

Good luck.

-- hide signature --

gregbartgis wrote:

I've set aside both books and have picked out a few more on Amazon. One is "Digital Assets Management" (DAM). Another is Schewe's Digital negatives book (title escapes me. Another is the Vuescan bible. I have Vuescan and hope to get some use out of it. Have to wait 'til paychecks hit before pushing the nuke my checking account button.

I have both of Schewe's books and they are good to have but I think The Digital Print is more in line with what you are looking for.

Schewe is rock solid. He tests out whatever he's advocating and has written numerous articles that you may want to access on-line.

May I ask what you are looking for in a DAM and in an editing program?

soloryb

Fujifilm FinePix X100 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF Fisheye-Nikkor 16mm f/2.8D +9 more
gregbartgis

With DAM I'm looking for insight into cataloguing and storage, mainly. I already have LR5 and Aperture. It seems Aperture is being discontinued and I'm wondering now  if I should even attempt to use it. I bought it in March this year. I've called Apple to request a refund, but - TOUGH!!!!!!! I can't wait to join THAT lawsuit!

At any rate, my needs for an editor seem to be in line with what LR offers. That's what I need to learn. A friend has offered a copy of PS3 which has enough tools and functionality to do most of what I might need. My focus is on my best images which I would like to show. I want to get more paid work, as well, so need the ability to edit and print to very high standards. I also wish to preserve my best indefinitely and printing seems to be the best way. As an old school film photographer I've always done everything myself. I'm in the midst of taking a great leap in technology and in my own understanding and am gathering all the tools I can to pave my way. Thanks for your input.

-- hide signature --

gregbartgis wrote:

A friend has offered a copy of PS3 which has enough tools and functionality to do most of what I might need.

Photoshop 3 or Photoshop CS3? There is a difference as PS3 is 1994, CS3 (version 10) is 2007.  Also, there were/are some compatibility issues with CS3 under Windows 7.  Can't speak on Macs. Adobe Photoshop version history

Just something to think about.

-- hide signature --

gregbartgis wrote:

With DAM I'm looking for insight into cataloguing and storage, mainly. I already have LR5 and Aperture. It seems Aperture is being discontinued and I'm wondering now if I should even attempt to use it. I bought it in March this year. I've called Apple to request a refund, but - TOUGH!!!!!!! I can't wait to join THAT lawsuit!

At any rate, my needs for an editor seem to be in line with what LR offers. That's what I need to learn. A friend has offered a copy of PS3 which has enough tools and functionality to do most of what I might need. My focus is on my best images which I would like to show. I want to get more paid work, as well, so need the ability to edit and print to very high standards. I also wish to preserve my best indefinitely and printing seems to be the best way. As an old school film photographer I've always done everything myself. I'm in the midst of taking a great leap in technology and in my own understanding and am gathering all the tools I can to pave my way. Thanks for your input.

You seem to be looking for a DAM and editing program oriented toward photographers. LR5 would fit the bill for you. I use it so much that I rarely have to open PS (cc), except for heavy edits that LR just isn't as well suited for. And, I print from LR5 in preference to anything else (see Jeff Schewe's writings on this).

Here are some suggestions for LR books:

Martin Evening's LR 5 Book: The best and most comprehensive one I've ever read.

Victoria Bampton's FAQ LR5 book: An essential reference that will answer just about any LR question you can think of (and many more you didn't even realize needed asking).

There are other good books out there but these are the ones I've found the most useful.

BTW, I come from film and wet darkroom days too.

Also: Have you considered subscribing to Adobe's cc? It will give you the latest PS and LR.

soloryb

gregbartgis

Thanks for the rec. I've just pulled the trigger on four new books. I'll keep your recommendations in mind for the next round as I can never have too many books. I have LR 5 and want to learn to use it well.
Again, thanks!

AusPic Regular Member • Posts: 331

soloryb wrote:

gregbartgis wrote:

With DAM I'm looking for insight into cataloguing and storage, mainly. I already have LR5 and Aperture. It seems Aperture is being discontinued and I'm wondering now if I should even attempt to use it. I bought it in March this year. I've called Apple to request a refund, but - TOUGH!!!!!!! I can't wait to join THAT lawsuit!

You seem to be looking for a DAM and editing program oriented toward photographers. LR5 would fit the bill for you. I use it so much that I rarely have to open PS (cc), except for heavy edits that LR just isn't as well suited for. And, I print from LR5 in preference to anything else (see Jeff Schewe's writings on this).

Victoria Bampton's FAQ LR5 book: An essential reference that will answer just about any LR question you can think of (and many more you didn't even realize needed asking).

There are other good books out there but these are the ones I've found the most useful.

Also: Have you considered subscribing to Adobe's cc? It will give you the latest PS and LR.

soloryb

That link to Victoria Brampton is a MUST read for  'english' speaking readers, makes other high profile Authors' books look and sound like a textbook for used car salesmen, slick, incomplete and misleading where Victoria is brief,  on target, on trigger and Bullseye! IMHO

Not my intention to offend, or generate tribal war.  I'm just old enough to know that the "You Can " brigade are full of wind, tinsel, tassels,  and no substance.

If you really need to use, and get real value from LR and want to know how to get things done that still elude you, without feeling that you don't understand or have a learning difficulty - read Victoria.

-- hide signature --

Andrew G

gregbartgis

Thank you Andrew! Absolutely the most convincing recommendation yet! Will comply! With a writing style like yours, I'd love to see your photography!  

-- hide signature --

AusPic wrote:

soloryb wrote:

gregbartgis wrote:

soloryb

That link to Victoria Brampton is a MUST read for 'english' speaking readers, makes other high profile Authors' books look and sound like a textbook for used car salesmen, slick, incomplete and misleading where Victoria is brief, on target, on trigger and Bullseye! IMHO

Her site (Lightroom Queen) is also a fantastic resource. She often answers questions herself.

Not my intention to offend, or generate tribal war. I'm just old enough to know that the "You Can " brigade are full of wind, tinsel, tassels, and no substance.

If you really need to use, and get real value from LR and want to know how to get things done that still elude you, without feeling that you don't understand or have a learning difficulty - read Victoria.

Her LR book pulled my rear end out of the fire on more than one occasion.

-- hide signature --

Andrew G

soloryb

gregbartgis

Got it! Check!

-- hide signature --

Olympus is king where Nikon and Canon dropped the ball - or, as the ad says, "Ditch the DSLR!".

gregbartgis wrote:

Got it! Check!

Be aware that the Martin Evening's books don't focus on printing like the other books do. While they cover printing, it's not as in-depth as a dedicated book on the subject.  Fine Art Printing for Photographers for example is very in-depth and covers all aspects concerning the subject - from color management to framing.

I have all 3 books - Martin Evening's Adobe Photoshop CS6, Adobe Photoshop LR4, and Uwe Steinmueller's Fine Art Printing so it's easy for me to compare, and the Fine Art Printing is much more in-depth.

Anyway I post this because you originally asked for a "A digital printer's "Bible".

Peace.

-- hide signature --

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads