please recommend point & shoot

Started Jul 22, 2014 | Discussions
S3Photo New Member • Posts: 22
please recommend point & shoot

A friend has asked for a camera recommendation.  I haven't bought a point & shoot for a while, so any help would be appreciated.

She wants something very simply (leave in A mode 100% of the time).  Will be used for taking landscapes for farm and ranch land to be sold (photos will be posted to a website).  Might shoot some video and some panos.  Need something with a high resolution, but... don't want to spend a lot.  I'm thinking $250 or less.

I realize this is a Canon forum, but any brand will do.

Thanks!

mcslsk Veteran Member • Posts: 3,165
Re: please recommend point & shoot

iPhone or Samsung phone??

mcslsk's gear list:mcslsk's gear list
Sony RX100 III Sony Alpha a7R II Sony a6500 Sony a7 III Canon EF 135mm F2L USM +49 more
OP S3Photo New Member • Posts: 22

mcslsk wrote:

iPhone or Samsung phone??

I thought a smartphone would work, but they want something more I guess.  Any suggestions?

gloaming Veteran Member • Posts: 3,733

An ELPH 330 should be had for maybe USD$160 if you shop around.  It has X10 zoom, and a 12 Mpix sensor and managing software that is getting strong reviews from users.  Leave it in P Mode and away you go.

Thanks for the suggestion on the 330, but I failed to mention another important point... she would like it to use AA batteries so they can pick up new ones anytime and not worry about charging.

Just need to toss that into the mix.

Thanks

brianj Forum Pro • Posts: 14,657

S3Photo wrote:

Thanks for the suggestion on the 330, but I failed to mention another important point... she would like it to use AA batteries so they can pick up new ones anytime and not worry about charging.

You need to point out that this is 2014, I don't think any modern camera will run off non rechargable AA batteries, they just cannot deliver enough current and if they have rechargable AA then they are back to having to charge the batteries.

I agree with gloaming, I have two ELPH 330 cameras and they are very good for such a small size.

Brian

brianj's gear list:brianj's gear list
Canon PowerShot ELPH 330 HS

brianj wrote:

S3Photo wrote:

You need to point out that this is 2014, I don't think any modern camera will run off non rechargable AA batteries, they just cannot deliver enough current and if they have rechargable AA then they are back to having to charge the batteries.

I agree with gloaming, I have two ELPH 330 cameras and they are very good for such a small size.

Brian

I agree with you and will point that out, but they seem pretty set on using AA batteries.

Thanks

mcslsk Veteran Member • Posts: 3,165

http://www.ephotozine.com/article/top-10-best-aa-battery-powered-digital-cameras-20942

and this is from Dec. 2012. The Canon sx160 is still available at amazon.

mcslsk's gear list:mcslsk's gear list
Sony RX100 III Sony Alpha a7R II Sony a6500 Sony a7 III Canon EF 135mm F2L USM +49 more
Soaks Forum Member • Posts: 52

Canon A1400 if you need AA batteries.

Soaks's gear list:Soaks's gear list
Canon G1 X II
OpticsEngineer Veteran Member • Posts: 6,287

The dpreview camera feature search tool includes being able to search for AA or AAA battery power source.   Lots of cameras still use those.

http://www.dpreview.com/products/search/cameras?utm_campaign=internal-link&utm_source=mainmenu&utm_medium=text&ref=mainmenu#criterias=SpecsBatteryNew&paramSpecsBatteryNew=AA%2CAAA

OpticsEngineer's gear list:OpticsEngineer's gear list
Fujifilm XF1 Olympus XZ-2 iHS Canon PowerShot G7 X Olympus Tough TG-4 Pentax *ist D +22 more
GeraldW Veteran Member • Posts: 8,182

My wife and I have a couple of older Canon cameras that use AA batteries.  Alkaline AA's don't last well at all and go flat in relatively few shots.  Rechargeable AA's will last longer; but they self discharge and then you have the bother of keeping them topped up.  The solution we use is to use Energizer Lithium Ion batteries which are non-rechargeable; but they do not self discharge and have amazing capacity.  About 5-600 shots in our cameras.  My wife keeps her camera in a very small bag along with a spare pair of batteries and a spare memory card.  She never has to worry about dead batteries.  I use almost the same camera with the same batteries to keep in my car.  It's always ready.  The downside of using Energizer Lithiums is that they cost about $10 for four batteries; but given their life (10 years on the shelf) and capacity and convenience, it's worth the cost for the occasional shooter.  I also use those batteries in my flashes, as I don't use them often.

Having said that, the current cameras using AA batteries are bottom rung in quality.  The better cameras these days all use proprietary rechargeable lithium batteries.  Between my wife and I, we have 7 cameras.  Only the two mentioned above use AA.  A solution might be to seek out one of the better older models, most likely used.  My wife's was bought new, mine was $45, used, in EX+ condition from KEH.

Does she need wide angle?  Most of the older Canon A series started at 35 mm, equivalent.  If 35 mm is wide enough, then the A710IS, A720IS, and A590IS come to mind.

If you can talk her into rechargeable batteries, then my recommendation is the Elph 330.

-- hide signature --

Jerry

GeraldW's gear list:GeraldW's gear list
Canon PowerShot S90 Olympus Stylus 1 Panasonic FZ1000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ300 Canon G7 X II
Sactojim Veteran Member • Posts: 6,541
Re: Oly SP820

It's a p&s with excellent image quality, crazy good zoom to 40X optical, easy menu, and takes AA batteries. It's a bit bulky, but will deliver the goods big time. $152. on groupon or $191. at Amazon. IQ gets a 4.5/5 rating which is almost unheard of on a sub $250. p&s camera

http://www.photographyblog.com/reviews/olympus_sp_820uz_review/

From mine below, view full size to see better detail.

racollins Contributing Member • Posts: 597

I heartily recommend the 330 HS as well. It's just a great camera, plain and simple. If AA batteries are a must however, the SX150 and SX160 are decent performers and fairly nice to handle; I personally like the image quality from the 150 better than that of the 160. If you don't mind an older camera and will be shooting mostly in daylight, some of the older A-series are excellent performers, like the A710 (35-210mm lens), A720 (same lens), and the A650 (same focal length as the other two), although the A650 has more noise in its images even at lower ISOs, but the pictures and very sharp and the detail it captures is amazing. It's a slightly larger sensor in the 650 and it shows. This one is usually a bit more expensive though. But try to convince them to get the 330 HS...it's an impressive little camera!

Andy

racollins's gear list:racollins's gear list
Canon PowerShot G11 Canon G7 X II Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III
stevenic Senior Member • Posts: 1,459

racollins wrote:

I heartily recommend the 330 HS as well. It's just a great camera, plain and simple. If AA batteries are a must however, the SX150 and SX160 are decent performers and fairly nice to handle; I personally like the image quality from the 150 better than that of the 160. If you don't mind an older camera and will be shooting mostly in daylight, some of the older A-series are excellent performers, like the A710 (35-210mm lens), A720 (same lens), and the A650 (same focal length as the other two), although the A650 has more noise in its images even at lower ISOs, but the pictures and very sharp and the detail it captures is amazing. It's a slightly larger sensor in the 650 and it shows. This one is usually a bit more expensive though. But try to convince them to get the 330 HS...it's an impressive little camera!

Andy

I also recommend the 330HS. In a choice review of about 40-50 camera's last year it got No 1 for image quality from cameras priced from around $150-$400. I bought two one for my father in law and one for our family. Its quite impressive in low light conditions (up to ISO1600) too and has some manual controls.

Cheers

Steve.

Sactojim wrote:

It's a p&s with excellent image quality, crazy good zoom to 40X optical, easy menu, and takes AA batteries. It's a bit bulky, but will deliver the goods big time. $152. on groupon or $191. at Amazon. IQ gets a 4.5/5 rating which is almost unheard of on a sub $250. p&s camera

I'm not familiar at all with this camera, but the images certainly look nice. How does it perform in low light?

Andy

Sactojim Veteran Member • Posts: 6,541

racollins wrote:

Sactojim wrote:

I'm not familiar at all with this camera, but the images certainly look nice. How does it perform in low light?

Andy

Hi Andy, I'm guessing it performs like most other small sensor cams in low light. I have not shot it in a dimly lit restaurant, indoor concert, etc., but this is larger sensor territory generally speaking. Search Flickr as there are probably images there to give you a better idea.

gloaming Veteran Member • Posts: 3,733

For comparison, here are some images taken with my 330HS:

justmeMN Veteran Member • Posts: 6,622
Re: please recommend point & shoot (silly reply)

A Smith and Wesson revolver. For low light shooting, you can add a Crimson Trace laser sight.

Sactojim wrote:

racollins wrote:

Sactojim wrote:

Andy

Hi Andy, I'm guessing it performs like most other small sensor cams in low light. I have not shot it in a dimly lit restaurant, indoor concert, etc., but this is larger sensor territory generally speaking. Search Flickr as there are probably images there to give you a better idea.

I will, thanks. It sounds like an interesting camera, worth exploring anyway.

Andy

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads