Vivitar 120-600mm f/5.6-8 Zoom Lens

Started Jul 20, 2014 | Discussions
shaolin95
shaolin95 Senior Member • Posts: 1,889
Vivitar 120-600mm f/5.6-8 Zoom Lens

Hello!
So since it is not a common lens or so it seems, I decided to post a few images here of how it looks. Except for the Moon images, all pictures were taken hand holding it.

Anything you want me to test, let me know and I will try my best.
I love big lenses so for me its a keeper since CA is surprisingly controlled but I guess since it is not that fast, that helps.

I added a 100% Crop of the moon image too.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lgabrielg/

shaolin95's gear list:shaolin95's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix 2650 Sony Alpha NEX-F3 Sony a6000 Sony a7R II Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS +17 more
osv Veteran Member • Posts: 9,970
Re: Vivitar 120-600mm f/5.6-8 Zoom Lens

was that bridal veil shot taken wide open? at 600mm?

it's weird how the bv sign is sharp, but as you look across diagonally, the picture falls apart pretty badly towards the bottom right-hand corner... looks like field curvature.

f8 vs. f10 would be interesting to see.

thx for the post.

-- hide signature --

dan

shaolin95
OP shaolin95 Senior Member • Posts: 1,889

I am pretty sure it was wide open and I was trying to make the sign more readable when I focused. Maybe the booster has something to do with it too or just me unable to keep it steady enough? Not sure .

Fujifilm FinePix 2650 Sony Alpha NEX-F3 Sony a6000 Sony a7R II Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS +17 more
jtr27
jtr27 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,324

Very nice! Impressive that you got these results handheld.

I have this lens too as you know. Mine is a Canon FD mount. A few entirely failed tries at handholding have convinced me that I need a tripod.

Here is one I shot a few weeks back. Wish I'd used a slightly faster shutter speed. But it was getting dusky.  Minor crop and a bit of sharpening in Topaz Detail 3.

shaolin95

Canon FD here too!
At /250 that is awesome you got it that good. No way I can go even close to that
The lens is a lot of fun and boy am I glad I go to the GYM 5 times a week cause my bicep workout it surely coming in handy with it LOL
I will start using my monopod more often for sure tough.

Thanks for sharing it!

you nailed the focus on the sign, it looks good, plus at 1/500th, it's probably not camera movement... your technique seems fine.

the left top corner 1/3rd of the picture is good, but it gets worse the further out you go.

it might be getting trashed by the booster, need to see it at 600mm, no booster, with a full-frame flat object, like that bv shot... no center-focused bird shots, they don't show what the sides look like.

-- hide signature --

dan

shaolin95

My main goal with is is birds, zoo photos like getting very close to animals etc so I am not too concerned about sides to be honest but I will try that without the adapter (which will make it much harder to hanhold of course as you can imagine due to the crop factor so probably will use a monopod this time.
Here is a wall from a school in front of me I usually use for taking pics of that metal plate on the center as a test. It was with the Booster so I will need to go shooting without it next.
Thanks!

jtr27

My daughter and I went camping at Baxter State Park, Maine, USA last weekend, and we were fortunate enough to spot this bull moose feeding on aquatic vegetation at Stump Pond.  We used the Vivitar 120-600 on an NEX-6 (on a sturdy tripod) to get a number of shots.  
I believe she took this one, at 600mm, or 900mm equivalent using a dumb adapter.  
Don't ask what aperture we were using.  Contrast and detail were low and there was some CA too. I did what I could with Photoshop Elements and Topaz Detail 3.  
Someday I'll own some really good long glass for wildlife... in the meantime, it's fun to play with this one, which does okay for the money, and at the moment it's the only way I can capture a subject at this distance.  
If you ever visit Baxter State Park, Stump Pond and Sandy Stream Pond are good bets for viewing moose.  As a bonus, there is an outstanding view of Mount Katahdin from Sandy Stream Pond.

that moose pic is cleaner on the sides than booster shot of the waterfall.

-- hide signature --

dan

shaolin95

jtr27 wrote:

My daughter and I went camping at Baxter State Park, Maine, USA last weekend, and we were fortunate enough to spot this bull moose feeding on aquatic vegetation at Stump Pond. We used the Vivitar 120-600 on an NEX-6 (on a sturdy tripod) to get a number of shots.
I believe she took this one, at 600mm, or 900mm equivalent using a dumb adapter.
Don't ask what aperture we were using. Contrast and detail were low and there was some CA too. I did what I could with Photoshop Elements and Topaz Detail 3.
Someday I'll own some really good long glass for wildlife... in the meantime, it's fun to play with this one, which does okay for the money, and at the moment it's the only way I can capture a subject at this distance.
If you ever visit Baxter State Park, Stump Pond and Sandy Stream Pond are good bets for viewing moose. As a bonus, there is an outstanding view of Mount Katahdin from Sandy Stream Pond.

Thanks for sharing amigo!

I had a good time with it the other day at the Rodeo. While it was not mean to be used for this when I bought it (for that I mainly use the FD 200mm 2.8 and 100mm F2.0), I gave it a shot and I was surprised with the results

jtr27

Terrific rodeo shots!  Hand holding?  The last one is my favorite.

shaolin95

jtr27 wrote:

Terrific rodeo shots! Hand holding? The last one is my favorite.

I was indeed surprise of the quality myself.
I actually had a monopod for those as it was a long event to keep holding it all day.
Thanks for the kind words amigo!

DieSkim New Member • Posts: 6

Nice lunar shot.

I just got my Vivitar 120-600 on monday, and couldn't believe the weight to it.

I managed to do some shots yesterday, with good light from the sunset.

Also did a lunar shot with my 2x tele-converter attached.

I was very happy with the results.

All shots are handheld.

DieSkim's gear list:DieSkim's gear list
Canon EOS 300D Canon EOS 400D Canon EF 28-105mm f/4.0-5.6 USM +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads