Pentax inn need of the big next step

Started Jul 19, 2014 | Discussions
OP Holger Bargen Veteran Member • Posts: 4,230
Re: It can be the opposite

Zvonimir Tosic wrote:

Holger Bargen wrote:

Dear all,

I have Pentax Equipment since more than 30 years. I like my K5 but I am worried about the future of Pentax/Ricoh.

The reason is an Observation of the ebay offers the last months. I follow the offers of Pentax lenses on ebay since years and during the last weeks in Germany there are numerous offers of not just kit lenses which came with cameras during the last decades but also a lot of prime lenses - often entire Equipments with a lot of very nice lenses.

I can't offer any statistics but my impression is that many people ..

The impression can be quite the contrary. There could be more Pentax cameras all around available, and more lenses too. That means, people are selling / changing old to get new Pentax cameras and some better lenses. Or they are getting rid of two mediocre lenses to get one new better lens.

Yes, this could be true. There were alway Pentax lenses available - but most time kit lenses. I think often it was from grandpa who had them in his camera bag since years and now nobody Needs them anymore. Most time these offers were no indication of changing a System. But currently there are a lot of high end lenses available. No one who wants to go on with the Pentax System would sell them.

The only reason for selling These lenses would be an upgrade to the new series of primes with rounded aperture blades and better lens coating.

It is ridiculous to analyse market just in one possible way of explaining something. Myself, if I had a K10 / K20/ K7 / Kx / K-r etc and even the K5, and some kit or mediocre lenses, I would be interested to step up my choices when buying a K5II or a K3. Cameras like K5II or K3 show every fault of mediocre lenses and to use kit lenses on them is sacrilege.

And how would I try to get rid of old kits and be happy even with a modest price obtained for them? Obviously, sell them on the eBay.

A. To new users of K30 / K50 / K500 plus kits lenses, that offer of mine would be uninteresting because they get their gear brand new and with a warranty. The Prices of new K50 etc are so low people pay less for brand new than I could viably ask for for my used equipment.

B. Then to many who have similar kits and lenses as I do, that offer would be uninteresting too.

So to whom I could possibly sell my second-hand gear when cameras as good as K50 are priced dirt cheap? That is the trouble of the entire second-hand market and in fact means Pentax production is well established that it can offer new gear for such a low price that makes my eBay offer irrelevant.

Yes, you can get kit lenses very cheap with a new camera. When I bought the K5 with the 18-55 WR lens I sold my 18-55 lens that came with my K10D. I got not much Money for ist - but it does not Need space in my house anymore and so I was glad to get rid of it.

But if you want very good lenses like primes - eeven very old ones - most time you have to pay a Price that is near or even above the Price of a new lens.

If you want to get a very cheap prime you have to buy one wiht obvious Problem where you think that you can fix them on your own. Otherwise I would buy them as new.

Best regards

Holger

-- hide signature --

Madamina, il catalogo è questo; Delle belle che amò il padron mio; un catalogo egli è che ho fatt'io; Osservate, leggete con me.

Holger Bargen's gear list:Holger Bargen's gear list
Pentax K-5 Pentax K-S1 Pentax K-1 Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED Sigma 70mm F2.8 EX DG Macro +7 more
Re: Pentax inn need of the big next step

Alex Sarbu wrote:

Holger Bargen wrote:

Dear all,

I have Pentax Equipment since more than 30 years. I like my K5 but I am worried about the future of Pentax/Ricoh.

Yawn. Ricoh Imaging reported increased sales.

That is good News. Thank yiu for your information.

Alex

Pentax K-5 Pentax K-S1 Pentax K-1 Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED Sigma 70mm F2.8 EX DG Macro +7 more
Re: Pentax only needs stop treating K-mount as the 645-mount

Zvonimir Tosic wrote:

The reason is an Observation of the ebay offers the last months. I follow the offers of Pentax lenses on ebay since years and during the last weeks in Germany there are numerous offers of not just kit lenses which came with cameras during the last decades but also a lot of prime lenses - often entire Equipments with a lot of very nice lenses.

I can't offer any statistics but my impression is that many people leave the Pentax system for other systems right now.

I am waiting for a follow up model of the K3. The K3 is an interesting camera but the mirror flop problem should be solved and I think that there are innovations in the filed of photography which could be added to a follow up model. Even a K3ii or K3 super would be ice - please with articulated Screen.

Regarding the lenses offered on ebay: there is some motivation to make a bid for them - but to be honest: there are also thoughts about leaving the system and start something new.

And that is all.

Which means, not issue one really good camera in 4 years, and then leave it alone. Since K5 in 2010, we have had a K3 only that is really good and exciting. And now is mid-2014. The K3 is not the most versatile camera in the world either; it is a bit bigger and heavier than the K5.

The K3 startet with problems - many people had problems with Focus and sharpness of the Pictures. I still think of our old forum moderator who had big problems and left the Pentax System and this forum. Now many people have problems with the flapping mirror and do not take this camera for serious events where they have to deliver good photos reliably.

The price or the K3 is in a range where I would buy it - but I do hope for a follow up model with an articulated Screen as if you are doing a lot of macro work - most time near the ground - this is a Feature that would be a great one and a reason to buy this camera - even if it would add nothing else to the satandard of my K5.

You get a camera with articulated screen for most Systems. And for most Systems you find more lenses - new or old ones.

Best regards

Holger

Instead of such an approach, a bit more flavour / diversity in the offer within the K-mount would be more interesting for many. For example, a really small DSLR camera like the Canon's own SL1 would be appreciated.

-- hide signature --

Madamina, il catalogo è questo; Delle belle che amò il padron mio; un catalogo egli è che ho fatt'io; Osservate, leggete con me.

Petroglyph wrote:

Asahi Kogaku Goshi Kaisha, November 1919 = spectacle manufacturer (still makes them today)

Asahi optical = 1938 - 2002 (AsahiFlex introduced 1952)

Pentax corp. = 2002 - 2007

Hoya = 2007-2011 (Closed Japan factory and moved camera/lens operations to SE Asia)

Ricoh = 2011 - present (Bought camera division Hoya kept medical devices)

Pentax was only more than a brand name for 5-years in the early digital era. If Ricoh finds the K-mount profitable they'll keep it going.

Yes, Petroglyph - absolutely correct. But actually there is still the name Pentax on DSLR lenses - and even there would be a new K-mount camera with the name "Ricoh" on it - it would be my new "Pentax" if I would buy it.

Best regards

Holger

sfa1966
sfa1966 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,474

Holger Bargen wrote:

The K3 startet with problems - many people had problems with Focus and sharpness of the Pictures. I still think of our old forum moderator who had big problems and left the Pentax System and this forum. Now many people have problems with the flapping mirror and do not take this camera for serious events where they have to deliver good photos reliably.

The price or the K3 is in a range where I would buy it - but I do hope for a follow up model with an articulated Screen as if you are doing a lot of macro work - most time near the ground - this is a Feature that would be a great one and a reason to buy this camera - even if it would add nothing else to the satandard of my K5.

You get a camera with articulated screen for most Systems. And for most Systems you find more lenses - new or old ones.

I think the release of the Pentax Flu-card has ended my hopes of a future articulated screen. It pretty much allows you to do what you have just described for macro shots ...

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
sfa

sfa1966's gear list:sfa1966's gear list
Sigma DP1 Sigma DP2 Merrill Pentax K-3 Pentax K-1 Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited +11 more
Kenntak Junior Member • Posts: 43
Re: yep, articulated Screen....

That's funny. One reason I bought a Pentax camera was because I did not want an articulated screen. Not everyone is the same.

Alex Sarbu Forum Pro • Posts: 11,728

petreluk wrote:

Alex Sarbu wrote:

petreluk wrote:

Alex Sarbu wrote:

Holger Bargen wrote:

Dear all,

Yawn. Ricoh Imaging reported increased sales.

Alex

Could well be but could you supply the reference for increased sales of cameras as distinct from the performance generally of their imaging division? I'm thinking this division might include more than cameras and that the figure aren't broken out, though perhaps they are.

You won't find any such figures. All there is - they're talking about "increase in sales of digital cameras".

Note that industrial cameras & surveillance are in a different division. Ricoh Imaging is just Pentax and Ricoh's camera division combined - and it's grouped into Other, together with their lease and financing business.

Second, while it's good news if Ricoh are indeed increasing the sales of their cameras, it doesn't make a great deal of difference to an individual buyer, or to a market segment of buyers, if the increased activity is in an area of part of the world which holds no interest for them. If Pentax increased the sales of their bridge cameras and P&S ones by 300 per cent, just for example, but let their support at the K3 and Limited lens level go fallow, then most of those posting on this board would be off elsewhere.

Huh? Do you know what cameras they launched? How on Earth would they increase "the sales of their bridge cameras and P&S ones by 300 per cent", and that's in a free falling market?

Second-hand prices on Ebay do seem pretty soft as others in this thread have suggested. That's not a great sign really.

Yeah, the sky is falling. I keep hearing this story for decades.

Alex

Hmmn, talk without figures is just self-promotion, although I'd be surprised if the figures weren't better since Ricoh have put a great deal into sorting out the business.

"Self-promotion"???

Ricoh Imaging is simply too small to be put into their own group, instead of "Other". Though, from time to time we do have figures - for example, Ricoh investing about 4.3 billion yen for "increase production of digital cameras, etc." in this fiscal year.

But if you read my post I said "just for example". I guess that doesn't fit with your plan ...

My plan? What are you talking about?

Or, to put it another way, Ricoh are free to decide that the future of their camera division lies in re-orienting the business to cater to markets in Asia and the Far East much more than has been the case so far. This would very likely influence the mix in their portfolio of products and might make them a less attractive brand to the majority who post on this forum.

Is this another "the sky is falling" scenario?

Despite their efforts into strengthening their position on fast growth Asian markets, the products remain suitable for non-Asians. Except for the Q line and perhaps the GR's chosen focal length; but we're on the Pentax SLR forum here which means K-mount and 645. Those are better than ever, so what is the problem?

Note that Ricoh Imaging, with the launch of the 645Z, made sure to introduce their full line of lenses in the U.S.

It's hardly a contentious idea, in fact not even a surprising one were Ricoh to feel that they can make better headway against their competitors in countries outside the the West where Canon, Nikon and co are so entrenched. The world changes all the time; why should folks not expect Ricoh to change too?

Ricoh is changing, and acquiring Pentax Imaging Systems is part of that change. With Ricoh Imaging they transformed a money-losing hobby division into a profitable business, one which can grow to be an important part of the whole. They're also using Pentax technologies in non-consumer areas, e.g. factory automation and surveillance.

Alex

Alex Sarbu's gear list:Alex Sarbu's gear list
Ricoh GR III Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax K-1 II Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax smc DA 70mm F2.4 AL Limited +8 more
jamesm007 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,663

Model Mike wrote:

jamesm007 wrote:
Never seen so many new people buying Pentax on this forum.

Hmmm... it seems a little quiet to me.

No more breathless unboxing videos. No clamouring to replace K-5 II's...

dSLRs just don't create, well, the same excitement as they once did. People snort at Nikon, and yawn at Canon, which can't be good for the overall market. I see fewer new Pentax users on DPR. dSLR's are so darned good, fewer people need to switch brands, or buy into the next point upgrade.

In my own case, I now use a GR for the majority of my shooting, especially street shooting, for convenience, discretion, and - yes - IQ. It's noticable that fewer people carry dSLR's in London, even tourists, so carrying one marks you out as a 'photog' more than it did.

Still love the K-5 II, but I don't use it for everything as I used to.

What I see is new users posting. I don't see as many old users as you or me posting "look what UPS dropped off today" posts. Even older models like the K-5 are so good why switch. The K-3 is enough for me to upgrade to it when I can. But newbies would be very tempted to buy K-5II(s) or K-5 used models. Because if you look at DXO or reviews or pics there is not much difference. Yea the K-3 gives a lot more cropping room but newbies may not even care about that, they just want a dSLR.

The internet is making the world seem small. But when we shut off the PC we are thousands of miles apart and part of a different culture and minds. I just don't see mirrorless systems here in MI. For most in the USA if your going to spend $1000 on a system it had better look like $1000 worth of photography gear. "Image is everything" here. So many people grew up wanting SLR the cameras they would see the PROs using and still do, and high IQ and now can get it. But they don't want a small camera that looks like a P/S camera that can change lens. That's here in the USA. Not speaking for anyone else and not putting down mirrorless.

DPR is not a gauge. They are trying to push mirrorless so hard its turning people away. Here in the USA its dSLRs or cellphones. No mirrorless. That may be why Canon and Nikon don't push mirrorless and why Pentax focuses on dSLRs more than mirrorless. Ricoh can focus on mirrorless. This is a huge world with billions of people and more than enough different people to support different systems.

Did you buy a brand or a camera system. That means most people bought Pentax for its superb value all weather bodies. They leave little to desire. What more could a person want than the K-3. If you want less Pentax has it. If you want something else look elsewhere. Pentax basic systems have not changed,

1. Pentax is smaller than average dSLRs
  2. Pentax is tougher than average dSLRs
  3. Pentax is great OVF
  4. Pentax is all weather gear that is recognized as equal to top PRO models
  5. Pentax is expanding their consumer (low cost great performance) level WR lens like the DA55-300mm WR.
  6. Pentax is always on or near the top (equal and better at high ISO) of APS IQ and high ISO performance. Or more realistic IQ. The K10D had just a tad more detail than the others.
  7. Pentax has at the least as good as it gets custom menu setup, like ISO in their bodies.
  8. Pentax is great ergonomics. Its why I went with Pentax K10D (GX10) versus Sony A100 in my hands not even close. It felt like a tank compared to the others yet was a bit smaller, very nice! Just pick up a K-3, K-5II, K-5, K-7, K20D and or a K10D and you might not want to let go!
  9. Pentax offers something different than Canon, Nikon, Sony and Oly.
  10. Pentax has some great lens, more than I can afford at one time. So there is always a body like the K-3 and lens that I want.

What I just wrote is true. To my heart its true. I bought a system, I did not know the name. I thought Sony was the better name. The review here for the Sony A100 was a bit better. No "just" because of soft jpegs stuff. I ended up with Pentax because of the above. Not the name.

When it came time to go hold them which use to be one of the main criteria's of buying a camera Pentax won.

What's better about the Fuji? It feels small and light compared to the K-3. If your want an APS sensor the telephoto lens are always going to be a certain size. So with Fuji most westerners need one of the handgrips. So why not just buy the Pentax K-3? Its a much more complete camera. Moreover you can get a low cost good performing weather resistant lens to go with it and really use it in rain storms no problems or snow storms.

It doesn't even have a built in flash! Pentax could cut that off the K-3 and make it smaller, no?

Money makes the world turn. Manufactures will make a higher profit with mirrorless as they are less complicated to manufacture. But they might not be the best overall system for a lot of users.

Oh the next big step comes when the next best sensor comes, which it will. The K-3 is highly competitive. And you can be sure Pentax now has the resources to be working on it next bodies to go around that sensor; and what bodies they have! The K-3 is outstanding!

Pentax keep doing what you do!

jamesm007's gear list:jamesm007's gear list
Pentax K20D Pentax K-5 Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM Pentax smc DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL WR +12 more
PhotoHawk Contributing Member • Posts: 841
Very well put James!

I think your post shows a remarkable amount of insight.

jamesm007 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,663
Re: Very well put James!

That's the most flattering reply anyone has ever given me. Thanks PhotoHawk. All I can say is your Fall Sun tree with its glowing yellows and never ending hues should have been in first place. Well again thank you. And this is true - I noticed in full screen it was tack sharp corner to corner. When I looked at the lens I was stunned. Some reviews don't tell the whole story do they. Same when I bought the DA50-200mm WR. Some reviews give a great technical analysis, but does not tell the whole end user experience with the picture quality in real world use. I don't fault those reviewers. I get into numbers as well at times (or more ) and am still learning real world pics are the best review.

Thank You

jamesm007's gear list:jamesm007's gear list
Pentax K20D Pentax K-5 Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM Pentax smc DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL WR +12 more

sfa1966 wrote:

Holger Bargen wrote:

The K3 startet with problems - many people had problems with Focus and sharpness of the Pictures. I still think of our old forum moderator who had big problems and left the Pentax System and this forum. Now many people have problems with the flapping mirror and do not take this camera for serious events where they have to deliver good photos reliably.

I think the release of the Pentax Flu-card has ended my hopes of a future articulated screen. It pretty much allows you to do what you have just described for macro shots ...

It's simple if you have a smartphone. I do not own one and I have no intention to buy one. Or does anyone know if the FluCard would work with a simple smartphone without any SIM card?

Best regards

Holger

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
sfa

Philnw2 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,683

Holger Bargen wrote:

sfa1966 wrote:

Holger Bargen wrote:

It's simple if you have a smartphone. I do not own one and I have no intention to buy one. Or does anyone know if the FluCard would work with a simple smartphone without any SIM card?

Best regards

Holger

Love my K3 - AF is to die for.  But because Pentax abandoned the K01 without a follow-up, i went off and bought 2 Nex cameras eventually.  When you buy into a two system arena, you get an appreciation for what's out there and what's good on each system.

But what i miss on the K3 and K5 is the tilting or articulated screen.  My nex cameras have the tilting screens and i use them quite often.  There is a high probablity they will be on the next pentax dslr.  Reason:  they put it on the 645Z.

I like mirrorless cameras and EVF.  I think the softness of the ebay for old lenses, may in some small part, be due to a drop in sales of DSLRs, about 18% for the first 5 months of 2014, while IIRC, mirrorless cameras increased in unit sales by about 13%.  In Japan, mirrorless unit sales are about 60% of DSLRs.  I don't know where this is going to end up, but its something for Canon, Nikon and Pentax to think about, and i'm sure they are.

Just looking at the Most Popular Camera list, and 8 out of the 10 cameras are mirrorless.

Mirrorless and DSLRs will probably coexist for years at some level, but its interesting to watch.

-- hide signature --

Phil B
Pentax K-3(Best APS Camera) Nex 6, 5n, Epson R3000, 3880

Philnw2's gear list:Philnw2's gear list
Sony a7R II Canon EF 85mm F1.8 USM Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Canon EF 100mm f/2.0 USM Canon EF 135mm F2L USM +4 more
PhotoHawk Contributing Member • Posts: 841
Re: Very well put James!

jamesm007 wrote:

That's the most flattering reply anyone has ever given me. Thanks PhotoHawk. All I can say is your Fall Sun tree with its glowing yellows and never ending hues should have been in first place. Well again thank you. And this is true - I noticed in full screen it was tack sharp corner to corner. When I looked at the lens I was stunned. Some reviews don't tell the whole story do they. Same when I bought the DA50-200mm WR. Some reviews give a great technical analysis, but does not tell the whole end user experience with the picture quality in real world use. I don't fault those reviewers. I get into numbers as well at times (or more ) and am still learning real world pics are the best review.

Thank You

Thanks James.  I think the 18-135 is an under appreciated lens.  But I think P....Forums analysis is pretty close although my copy might even be a bit sharper than what they found.  It does get softer as it gets longer, past 100mm though.

Ari Aikomus
Ari Aikomus Veteran Member • Posts: 9,433
Re: yep, articulated Screen....

Kenntak wrote:

That's funny. One reason I bought a Pentax camera was because I did not want an articulated screen. Not everyone is the same.

Exactly. For this reason Pentax/Ricoh need to offer alternatives! Many of us want Pentax DSLR with articulated screen. Now we have only many models without it!

-- hide signature --

- Ari Aikomus -
'Why should I feel lonely ? is not our planet in the Milky way?'

Ari Aikomus
Ari Aikomus Veteran Member • Posts: 9,433

britcam wrote:

Ari Aikomus wrote:

britcam wrote:

jamesm007 wrote:

britcam wrote:Then in the evening, I used my Fuji X-E2 with 35mm f1.4. Does Pentax have anything that can compete with the XF 35 f1.4 for low light indoor work..?

Of course...Their great & legendary Pentax SMC-FA 31mm f/1.8 AL Limited!!

Of course - and I used to have one! I'm not that sure that Pentax IQ at 6400 could compete with the Fuji though ... even with that magnificent piece of glass.

Well, I'm not sure that High ISO differences are so significant in practice - at all.

-- hide signature --

Regards
Rich S (britcam)

-- hide signature --

- Ari Aikomus -
'Why should I feel lonely ? is not our planet in the Milky way?'

debo Senior Member • Posts: 2,615

Also from my "limited" informal test, the Zeiss 32/1.8 renders better than my FA31 (although I know one day the FA31 will get its soul back when I get a A7 body or a Pentax FF body!)

debo's gear list:debo's gear list
Sony RX1 Fujifilm X100V Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm GFX 50R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +5 more
Uluru Contributing Member • Posts: 749
Just connect the dots

sfa1966
sfa1966 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,474
Re: Just connect the dots

Uluru wrote:

I see four dots, counting the one in the letter "i".

When I connect them, they make the shape of a wheelie-bin / trash-box.

Do I win a prize?

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
sfa

sfa1966's gear list:sfa1966's gear list
Sigma DP1 Sigma DP2 Merrill Pentax K-3 Pentax K-1 Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited +11 more
moving_comfort
moving_comfort Veteran Member • Posts: 8,242

Nice set of images.

-- hide signature --

Here are a few of my favorite things...
---> http://www.flickr.com/photos/95095968@N00/sets/72157626171532197/

moving_comfort's gear list:moving_comfort's gear list
Pentax K20D Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF Nikkor 20mm f/2.8D +10 more
leggeron Senior Member • Posts: 1,077

I am one of the newcomers to the wonderful world of Pentax. Bought a K30 in May and liked it so much that I bought a K5iis (didn't get the k3 because I find 16mp to be a sweet spot for my needs and I prefer switches to buttons -focusing and metering) within weeks and now my small pentax system includes the da50 1.8, da18-135, da*16-50, da*50-135 and m 50 1.4, I'm starting to look into limiteds.
And without going into details - I couldn't be happier. The k5iis is probably all I ever wanted out of camera and I feel as though Pentax built it especially for me. I also bought a Q for fun.

I really hope Pentax will persevere as it puts out fantastic no nonsense gear. but I also feel that Pentax/Ricoh should make a more serious effort into mirrorless for diversification (in my mind, I believe that mirrorless is the future for non professional/sports use at least) The Q, while a brilliant tactile experience, doesn't cut it and K-mount mirrorless negates one of the biggest lures of mirrorless - size and weight.

So here's me hoping it will all be well at the end of the day.
--
http://www.flickr.com/photos/leggeron/
Just so you know how good/bad I am at this.

leggeron's gear list:leggeron's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS50 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ300 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 +14 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads