A6000 cannot recognise pz16-50. Any ideas as to possible cause/solution?

Started Jul 19, 2014 | Questions
Oldroadster Junior Member • Posts: 49
A6000 cannot recognise pz16-50. Any ideas as to possible cause/solution?

I have cleaned contacts on lens and camera, tested camera with Sony 50mm f1.8 (no problem), changed battery and memory card and completed a soft reset. Are there any other checks to carry out before I contact Sony? I go on holiday in two weeks and the thought of having to send camera and lens to Sony service is not very apealing. I would appreciate any advice that might enable me to solve this myself. Thank you in anticipation, Ian.

ANSWER:
Sony a6000 Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
W5JCK
W5JCK Senior Member • Posts: 2,753
Re: A6000 cannot recognise pz16-50. Any ideas as to possible cause/solution?

If understand you correctly and you tested a 50mm lens with the a6000 and the a6000 correctly recognizes that lens, then I would think the issue lies with the PZ 16-50mm lens. I wouldn't send the camera back to Sony, just the lens, if necessary. You might go to a camera store and ask them to test your PZ 16-50mm lens on another a6000 just to be sure, and also test another PZ 16-50mm lens from the store on your a6000 to see if it gets recognized.

-- hide signature --

An astrophotography hobbyist and amateur radio instructor and examiner. Sony a7, Canon EOS 60D, and Canon Powershot G1 X. https://www.flickr.com/photos/jackswinden/

W5JCK's gear list:W5JCK's gear list
Sony RX100 III Sony Alpha a7 Sony a6000 Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM +15 more
selected answer This post was selected as the answer by the original poster.
W5JCK
W5JCK Senior Member • Posts: 2,753

Also, I think the PZ 16-50mm lens has electronics of its own, including FW. You might research to see if there is a way to reset the lens itself. I suspect that could correct a lot of issues.

-- hide signature --

An astrophotography hobbyist and amateur radio instructor and examiner. Sony a7, Canon EOS 60D, and Canon Powershot G1 X. https://www.flickr.com/photos/jackswinden/

W5JCK's gear list:W5JCK's gear list
Sony RX100 III Sony Alpha a7 Sony a6000 Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM +15 more
weathersealed Contributing Member • Posts: 682

do you have the menu item release without lens disabled?

nevercat Veteran Member • Posts: 3,193

Does the lens works correctly? In that case I would not risk to send it if for repair befor your vacation. The one thing you vould do is go to the store where you got the camera from and show them the problem and tell them about your vacation. Maybe they can give you an other lens, as it looks like there is something wrong with the lens.

Whenthe lens is not working correctly and you bought the damera online, you can contact the store and tell them your story, maybe they can help. You could also xontact Sony directly and tell them about your problem.maybe they can help you quickly.

piticoto Regular Member • Posts: 289

Oldroadster wrote:

I have cleaned contacts on lens and camera, tested camera with Sony 50mm f1.8 (no problem), changed battery and memory card and completed a soft reset. Are there any other checks to carry out before I contact Sony? I go on holiday in two weeks and the thought of having to send camera and lens to Sony service is not very apealing. I would appreciate any advice that might enable me to solve this myself. Thank you in anticipation, Ian.

Did you turn on the camera while the lens extending was blocked? It happened to me once, I could see image on the LCD, but the camera didn't recognize the f number. What more specific symptoms do you have? I panicked and don't recall exactly what I did, but went through swapping lenses, pulling out battery, and doing it again until eventually it worked.

OP Oldroadster Junior Member • Posts: 49

Thank you for your replies. Some good advice there and I think a visit to the camera shop where I bought the kit from is on the cards for Monday. Testing the lens on another camera is definitely the way to go. If it comes down to it I still have a Lumix G3 and 14-42 kit lens that has not yet been sold that I could use instead of the 16-50 so if the lens had tho go off to Sony all would not be lost.

Thank you again.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads