Does D810 set minimum shutter speed for non-CPU lenses?

Started Jul 19, 2014 | Questions
digitalphotographer Contributing Member • Posts: 662
Does D810 set minimum shutter speed for non-CPU lenses?

One of the annoyances of my previous D800E was that it defaults shutter speed to 1/30 instead of raising ISO in A mode even if I have set the minimum shutter speed to "fast or faster" when a non-CPU lens was used. For a camera that requires high shutter speeds to get pixel perfect shots, going M was the only way to set the desired shutter speed that's either 1/FL or 1/2xFL.

My Df on the other hand, respects minimum shutter speed settings regardless of what lenses I use, as long as "non-CPU lens feature" is activated.

Has Nikon fixed this in D810? I can't find this mentioned anywhere.

digitalphotographer's gear list:digitalphotographer's gear list
Sony RX1R II Sony Alpha a7R III
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Nikon D810
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
OP digitalphotographer Contributing Member • Posts: 662
Re: Does D810 set minimum shutter speed for non-CPU lenses?

Sorry for digging tihs up, I have a few AIS lenses that I am wondering if they would be compatible with the new D810.

Maybe enough time has passed after release date existing owners would know the answers to this? Thanks in advance.

digitalphotographer's gear list:digitalphotographer's gear list
Sony RX1R II Sony Alpha a7R III
Adriel Victus Regular Member • Posts: 126

digitalphotographer wrote:

One of the annoyances of my previous D800E was that it defaults shutter speed to 1/30 instead of raising ISO in A mode even if I have set the minimum shutter speed to "fast or faster" when a non-CPU lens was used. For a camera that requires high shutter speeds to get pixel perfect shots, going M was the only way to set the desired shutter speed that's either 1/FL or 1/2xFL.

My Df on the other hand, respects minimum shutter speed settings regardless of what lenses I use, as long as "non-CPU lens feature" is activated.

Has Nikon fixed this in D810? I can't find this mentioned anywhere.

I have the D810 and I can confirm that auto iso shutter speed can work with non-CPU lens as long as you enter it correctly in the non-CPU lens menu (focal length and aperture). I use the D810 with my old 28mm f2.8 AIS, my 50mm f1.2 AIS, and I can set the auto iso shutter speed to 1/F or 1/2F if I want, the camera will read the focal length data from the "non-CPU lens" menu and automatically choose minimum shutter speed for me.

Adriel Victus's gear list:Adriel Victus's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R Phase One Capture One Pro +1 more
inasir1971
inasir1971 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,623

digitalphotographer wrote:

Sorry for digging tihs up, I have a few AIS lenses that I am wondering if they would be compatible with the new D810.

Maybe enough time has passed after release date existing owners would know the answers to this? Thanks in advance.

Yes, the D810 works just like the Df and the FL set in the selected Non-CPU Lens Data is used for minimum shutter speed.

I think this is the new (improved and sensible IMO) Nikon Auto-ISO behavior after the Df.

inasir1971's gear list:inasir1971's gear list
Sony RX1R II Nikon D4 Nikon D850
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads