Overnight Hiking/Camping Camera Bag Questions

Started Jul 17, 2014 | Discussions
Zapados New Member • Posts: 3
Overnight Hiking/Camping Camera Bag Questions

Hey everyone!

I'm planning a trip in the next couple of months to go to Glacier National Park. I'm planning on bringing my Canon 6D with a couple of lenses (probably a Tamron 16-28 and a Canon 70-300L). I have been looking for photo bags that can double as hiking/camping bags, and the Lowepro seems to fit the bill.

I'm mostly wondering if anyone has experience with this bag. If so, how much camping gear can it hold? Will it be able to hold enough gear to serve as an overnight bag, or will I need to step up to the Rover Pro bags (which would mean losing the quick access feature of the 30L)? Will the camera bag portion hold the two aforementioned lenses?

We are planning on mostly doing day hikes but may do an overnight or two and I just want to make sure I have the right tool for the task!

Thanks in advance.

Canon EOS 6D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Gary Martin
Gary Martin Veteran Member • Posts: 4,025
Re: Overnight Hiking/Camping Camera Bag Questions

I'm not sure what Lowepro bag you're referring too; I have a couple of Lowepro Flipside bags (200 and 400AW) and I'm very happy with them for urban use and casual outdoor hiking. But for backpacking and camping, consider getting a good, comfortable non-camera backpack, and purchase a separate camera insert for it. Since you're only bringing 1 body and a couple of lenses, this might be a better solution for you. Good luck with your decision!

Gary Martin's gear list:Gary Martin's gear list
Ricoh GR II Pentax K-5 IIs Olympus PEN-F Pentax K-1 Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited +13 more
9ck
9ck Senior Member • Posts: 1,005

If I had the possebility to choose without looking at the pricetag I'd be looking at bags from F-stop in this cattegory.

http://fstopgear.com

-- hide signature --

Regards 9ck

9ck's gear list:9ck's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Nikkor 105mm f/2D DC Nikon AF Nikkor 135mm f/2D DC +14 more
OP Zapados New Member • Posts: 3

I changed the title and left out the bag name like a fool. The bag I'm looking at is the Lowepro Photo Sport 30L.

Cingen Regular Member • Posts: 168

No camera bag can double as a hiking backpack / camera bag. If you put your camera in it you won't have the room for your camping gear unfortunately. I'd suggest looking in toploader style bags with lens cases you can attach to them, this also has the added benefit of keeping your camera within reach.

9ck
9ck Senior Member • Posts: 1,005

Cingen wrote:

No camera bag can double as a hiking backpack / camera bag. If you put your camera in it you won't have the room for your camping gear unfortunately. I'd suggest looking in toploader style bags with lens cases you can attach to them, this also has the added benefit of keeping your camera within reach.

Depending on your "camping gear" I belive the bags from F-stop mentioned above actually just do this

-- hide signature --

Regards 9ck

9ck's gear list:9ck's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Nikkor 105mm f/2D DC Nikon AF Nikkor 135mm f/2D DC +14 more
NancyP Veteran Member • Posts: 5,672

http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=e4537642f13154dff1562c65bc07a4e3&topic=21824.msg415899;topicseen#new

Here's another currently active discussion on this topic.

-- hide signature --

NancyP

NancyP's gear list:NancyP's gear list
Sigma DP3 Merrill

P.S. I use the Cotton Carrier vest to hold the DSLR and most-used lens at ready. The CC vest fits very well under backpack straps and backpack back frame panel.

Heavy-load packs - best find an ordinary 60-70 L technical pack that fits you well, and get a small case to fit inside the pack. Hang next-most-used lens in a lens case off the belt or other Molle strapping - lens case should be able to accommodate either the one kept on your SLR or the second lens. Keep a spare set of lens-back caps handy in your pocket. It might be nice to have a dual-access pack - I am looking for a top/side or front access pack with substantial side or front opening. So far, the Granite Gear and Deuter lines seem worth investigating.

F/Stop - These are fabulous and burly packs - IF they fit you.  They are "one-size-fits-average-to-long-torso". The access through the back panel and the anchored interchangeable camera inserts are the main distinguishing features. I have one, and I have had to adapt it (add shoulder pads) to deal with my smaller torso - the company said that they had originally designed the pack line for men. I will see if my new home-made adaptation works for a 35# load soon.

-- hide signature --

NancyP

Sigma DP3 Merrill
woodybrown
woodybrown Regular Member • Posts: 453

Check out the Mindshift Gear rotation 180 Pro.

Expensive, but built to the ultimate backpack specs and really comfortable loaded up for all day hiking. Camera and a few lenses in lower section which is essentially a belt pack that lives inside the lower portion of the large pack and rotates around for access to camera and lenses without removing the backpack. Has about as much room in the upper portion for camping gear as you could reasonably expect from any pack that also carries camera and lenses. Can also divvy up the upper section for more lenses/2nd camera if you choose. Tripod mount on back. Also has a compartment for a hydration pack with tube although I have fever used it. Several attachment points to strap on smaller cases/items.

If you find it is too big for day trips, they have a smaller model, the Panorama. I have used both but currently use the Panorama as I have not been overnighting.

woodybrown's gear list:woodybrown's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro +5 more

Alot also depends on your definition of hiking / backpacking. I've seen alot of users on this forum who see a daytrip, maximum 2 days, as a backpacking trip while in my vision that's just a daytrip in nature.

How long do you plan to be "out there" exactly?

OP Zapados New Member • Posts: 3

Thanks everyone for all of your input so far. My brother and I plan to do mostly long day hikes but would like to be able to do an overnight or two. He is an experienced hiker (currently hiking the AT) and he would be carrying some of our gear. I mostly just don't want to leave him having to carry everything just so that I can bring my camera gear.

The options right now seem to be the Lowepro Photo Sport 30L, Lowepro Rovers, or the F-Stop Loka (which looks like a beautiful bag but is significantly more expensive).

Zapados wrote:

Thanks everyone for all of your input so far. My brother and I plan to do mostly long day hikes but would like to be able to do an overnight or two. He is an experienced hiker (currently hiking the AT) and he would be carrying some of our gear. I mostly just don't want to leave him having to carry everything just so that I can bring my camera gear.

The options right now seem to be the Lowepro Photo Sport 30L, Lowepro Rovers, or the F-Stop Loka (which looks like a beautiful bag but is significantly more expensive).

For shorter hikes that is indeed the way to go For multiple days (5 or more) I'd really look into a Lowepro Toploader combined with a normal hiking backpack, the toploader can be carried in multiple ways spreading the load and making it easily accesible.

Cheap lens/body case that could be stowed inside a technical backpack:

Cabela's soft-sided fishing reel case, 10-reel economy size:

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Fishing/Rod-Reel-Storage/Fishing-Reel-Cases|/pc/104793480/c/104812380/sc/104527080/Cabelas-Advanced-Anglers8482-Pro-Series-Reel-Travel-Cases/703315.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Ffishing-reel-cases%2F_%2FN-1102358%2FNs-CATEGORY_SEQ_104527080%3FWTz_l%3DUnknown%253Bcat104793480%253Bcat104812380&WTz_l=Unknown%3Bcat104793480%3Bcat104812380%3Bcat104527080

Fixed center divider with 8 removable velcro-foam dividers that attach to middle divider and side of case. $30.00. Has small handle. Measures: 13-1/2"W x 10-1/2"L x 6"H.

-- hide signature --

NancyP

Sigma DP3 Merrill
rebel99 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,025

for long days shooting outdoors, i use cottoncarrier and i enjoy it a lot. so far, i haven't seen anything better that cottoncarrier vest for carrying my camera and lenses. although i do carry my canon 1Dx and some days my 1dmk4 but i think smaller cameras would fit perfectly and comfortably on cottoncarrier vest for long hikes!

cheerz.

There is a Cotton Carrier clip that fits on a backpack shoulder strap. That would be excellent for a small camera, but I think that the full size DSLR is better carried on the vest.

-- hide signature --

NancyP

Sigma DP3 Merrill
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads