Can not select Aperture with my new XE2 and zoom lenses.

Started Jul 17, 2014 | Discussions
skutters Contributing Member • Posts: 587
Can not select Aperture with my new XE2 and zoom lenses.

Hi,

I have picked up my new system today XE2 with 14mm, 56mm and 18-55, 55-200 i am going through the manual learning my new camera one thing that i can not figure is that the camera wont let me use Aperture Priority.  In the menu for setting Aperture function it is grayed out so i cant set anything so can not change aperture with the wheel.

Any ideas what is going on am i missing something?.

Regards Kev.

skutters's gear list:skutters's gear list
Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R Fujifilm X100S +4 more
Fujifilm X-E2
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Mike in Kansas
Mike in Kansas Contributing Member • Posts: 794
Re: Can not select Aperture with my new XE2 and zoom lenses.

For lenses with an aperture ring, you MUST use the aperture ring on the lens.  The wheel is only used for lenses without a ring (the XC lenses and the 27mm).

Mike in Kansas's gear list:Mike in Kansas's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T20 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 +1 more
Menneisyys Senior Member • Posts: 1,458

Did you try switching the "A" switch on the lens itself from the default red "A" to the depicted aperture? It's there on all non-XC-series lens (and IIRC the 27mm also lacks it). It'll enable the A mode.

OP skutters Contributing Member • Posts: 587

Menneisyys wrote:

Did you try switching the "A" switch on the lens itself from the default red "A" to the depicted aperture? It's there on all non-XC-series lens (and IIRC the 27mm also lacks it). It'll enable the A mode.

Yes i have the switch set to the blades and dial to A, i am not on about the two lenses with Aperture rings it is the 18-55 and 55-200.

Kev.

Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R Fujifilm X100S +4 more
ryan2007 Forum Pro • Posts: 12,001

Be sure the lens is mounted correctly on the camera body, typically you get a click and you know it is attached.

All of these lenses should would by moving the aperture ring.

Be sure the battery is charged, memory card inserted and formatted, turn on the camera.

I can not think of a custom setting that would change that and some other fuji lenses with no aperture ring use the rear dial of the camera, sort of what a DSLR does in controlling aperture.

If this happens with every lens after trying and calling the camera store where you bought this it could be a defective camera or lens, but I doubt every lens is a problem.

The only other thing is to return and replace the XE-2 body while still under the return policy of the camera store.

ryan2007 wrote:

Be sure the lens is mounted correctly on the camera body, typically you get a click and you know it is attached.

All of these lenses should would by moving the aperture ring.

Be sure the battery is charged, memory card inserted and formatted, turn on the camera.

I can not think of a custom setting that would change that and some other fuji lenses with no aperture ring use the rear dial of the camera, sort of what a DSLR does in controlling aperture.

If this happens with every lens after trying and calling the camera store where you bought this it could be a defective camera or lens, but I doubt every lens is a problem.

The only other thing is to return and replace the XE-2 body while still under the return policy of the camera store.

Everything is as should be but i can not get it to work in Aperture Priority.  So it's back to the shop tomorrow, this is a Major disapointment i thought i was buying into a good system. (gutted).

Kev.

prometheus10 Forum Member • Posts: 52

skutters wrote:

Menneisyys wrote:

Yes i have the switch set to the blades and dial to A, i am not on about the two lenses with Aperture rings it is the 18-55 and 55-200.

Kev.

The 18-55 and 55-200 both have aperture rings too, the stops just aren't printed on because they vary based on zoom level.  For the zooms make sure the switch is set to the blades not A on the lens and then turn the aperture ring on the base of the lens.  You should see the f stop change in the camera's display.

prometheus10 wrote:

skutters wrote:

Menneisyys wrote:

Kev.

The 18-55 and 55-200 both have aperture rings too, the stops just aren't printed on because they vary based on zoom level. For the zooms make sure the switch is set to the blades not A on the lens and then turn the aperture ring on the base of the lens. You should see the f stop change in the camera's display.

Jeez thanks man what a plonker i should have checked the lens manual and i would have seen it had an Aperture ring.  It's something i have never come across before a Aperture ring with no Numbers.

Cheers, all is well in the world again Lol.

Mike in Kansas
Mike in Kansas Contributing Member • Posts: 794

skutters wrote:

prometheus10 wrote:

skutters wrote:

Menneisyys wrote:

Kev.

The 18-55 and 55-200 both have aperture rings too, the stops just aren't printed on because they vary based on zoom level. For the zooms make sure the switch is set to the blades not A on the lens and then turn the aperture ring on the base of the lens. You should see the f stop change in the camera's display.

Jeez thanks man what a plonker i should have checked the lens manual and i would have seen it had an Aperture ring. It's something i have never come across before a Aperture ring with no Numbers.

Cheers, all is well in the world again Lol.

So I guess my post where I mentioned that you have to use the aperture ring on all the lenses except the XC lenses and the 27mm wasn't helpful??  

Mike in Kansas's gear list:Mike in Kansas's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T20 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 +1 more
Mike Guffin
Mike Guffin Regular Member • Posts: 495

skutters wrote:

Everything is as should be but i can not get it to work in Aperture Priority. So it's back to the shop tomorrow, this is a Major disapointment i thought i was buying into a good system. (gutted).

Kev.

So it was operator error... you should publicly retract this statement. You did buy a good system.

Mike Guffin's gear list:Mike Guffin's gear list
Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R Fujifilm XF 50-140mm F2.8 Fujifilm 16-55mm F2.8R LM WR Fujifilm XF 35mm F2 R WR
(unknown member) Veteran Member • Posts: 4,084
RTFM

Very strange indeed

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads