Canon EOS 5D Mark III: Is there any disadvantage?

Started Jul 17, 2014 | Discussions
M Stewart Contributing Member • Posts: 544
Re: Canon EOS 5D Mark III: Is there any disadvantage?

BPina wrote:

But i couldn't find many with the disadvantages of it.

Will you like the viewfinder?

All of my Canon DSLRs (from 10D to 1D Mk IV) have the traditional viewfinder with red LEDs indicating focus point.   I've now got a 7D with its LCD viewfinder, and it's taken me a long time getting used to it.  I expect the next version of the 5D (if it ever materialises) will have an LCD viewfinder.  So my suggestion is to try living with a body with the LCD viewfinder before you decide.

-- hide signature --

M. Stewart
Milton Keynes, UK

M Stewart's gear list:M Stewart's gear list
Canon EOS M Canon EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye Canon EF 20mm f/2.8 USM Canon EF 24mm f/2.8 Canon EF 35mm F2.0 +15 more
Sebastian Beres Forum Member • Posts: 83

Biggest disadvantage for 5D Mark III could be the 10 inches behind it

Other than that great camera now and for some future

Sebastian Beres's gear list:Sebastian Beres's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM
OP BPina Forum Member • Posts: 79

Unexpresivecanvas wrote:

One big disadvantage is that if you buy it, you will be tempted to go over the almost 600 pages of almost all great pictures in the POTN 5D-iii thread:

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1294447&page=578

And other disadvantage is that the AF system is so advanced, it will take some time and some sweating to master it.

I would love to take my time to master that massive auto-focus system. I know it's not an one-hour task, as i am still having problems with auto-focus with lesser systems, but this one is actually an advantage to me.

BPina's gear list:BPina's gear list
Canon EOS 70D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Sigma 18-35mm F1.8 DC HSM Art Canon EOS 350D Canon EF 35mm F2.0 +2 more
bhollis
bhollis Veteran Member • Posts: 3,427

BPina wrote:

bhollis wrote:

BPina wrote:

So, we all know the beauty of this camera, and how it may improve many types of photography. I love to shoot wide and indoors (low light), so i am considering to build cash to buy a shiny new 5D Mark IV when it comes out (have to build cash from now to be able to buy it).

The point is... There are many sites and threads on foruns that talk about how capable is this camera. But i couldn't find many with the disadvantages of it.

So, for you, owners, what do you complain about the Canon EOS 5D Mark III? I really want to cover all variables before spending that much money on this camera.

It's a great all-round camera and I love mine, but . . .

A lot of landscape photographers would like a sensor with higher resolution and/or greater dynamic range.

A lot of action photographers would like a faster burst rate.

A lot of low-light photographers would like illuminated AF points.

Wow... The dynamic range is not good enough on 5D M3? It's one thing i kinda expected to be impecable to, like, 99% of photographers. You know, for a mid-range pro equipment.

Whether the 5D3's dynamic range is "good enough" is really a matter of personal choice.  I've generally found it to be good enough for my style of shooting.  But some folks prefer the greater dynamic range provided by Sony's Exmor sensors.

Charles Wass Regular Member • Posts: 230

Wow... The dynamic range is not good enough on 5D M3? It's one thing i kinda expected to be impecable to, like, 99% of photographers. You know, for a mid-range pro equipment.

Higher dynamic range is certainly valued by many landscape photographers and higher dynamic range is provided by models of comparable cost from Nikon and Sony. I stress that I have always been a Canon user and have never used either of the other two makes.

Charlie

AHWest Forum Member • Posts: 69

I thought the main advantages of the 5D3 is its access to Canon lenses, good but not class leading sensor, good flexibility and control, and perhaps most importantly, good AF for moving objects. One disadvantage to gaining access to Canon full frame lenses is that most are large, heavy, and expensive. But it's the same for other full frame systems.

I've heard that Nikon has a better ultrawide lens than Canon currently offers, though i've seen early praise for Canon's new 16-35 f4 IS lens, possibly challenging that perception. Since wide indoor stills, presumably with low light, is your main interest, and Nikon might offer a better sensor/lens combination catering to that use. On the other hand, if you were looking for low light action using a longer lens, I'd say a 5D3 with 70-200 IS II lens appears the winner for that use.

AHWest's gear list:AHWest's gear list
Sony RX100 II Canon EOS 450D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM +4 more
Dan_168 Veteran Member • Posts: 7,123

Yes there is, at least to me there is. It depends on how you are going to use the camera, it's a nice "all around" camera but not necessary best in every single area, actually I didn't find any "best" in this particular model, but again it's a pretty well balanced "all around" model camera, For example, it's lacking behind D800/D800E pretty far in sensor resolution, Dynamic range, shadow noise, if you intend to use it mainly as a landscape camera, I own multiple systems so I can see the huge difference between the two sensor, so better try some different camera before you settle on one that you like, sometimes talking to people only have personal experience on one particular brand/model doesn't give you the whole picture, whatever they own is normally all perfect, LOL. When I was looking for a landscape camera, I compare multiple options myself, not just reading review on internet, I rent, tried friends camera, combined that with my personal experience on all the gears I have myself and came to the conclusion there is huge disadvantage in this area for me, can it produce great shot? of course it can if I do my part, it's just there is other camera out there with better sensor technologies which makes it easier for the specific job that I am using this camera for. Well, there is "gear doesn't matter, it's only the one behind that makes the difference....." school, so if you go by that, then there is absolutely no advantage or disadvantage, on any gears, not just 5D MK III, no point of coming to a gear forum either. LOL.

Keith Z Leonard Veteran Member • Posts: 5,999

The 5D3 has the LCD viewfinder, in fact.

Keith Z Leonard's gear list:Keith Z Leonard's gear list
Canon EF 70-200mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Canon EOS 400D +16 more
qianp2k Forum Pro • Posts: 10,350

Keith Z Leonard wrote:

The 5D3 has the LCD viewfinder, in fact.

You mean back LCD?  That is not really a VF as your eyes watch through, and would be difficult under bright sunlight.

No, what I mean is LCD viewfinder, which is what I said, though I can see the confusion, it's LCD overlay, the 5d3 and 1dx both have LCD overlay viewfinders just like the 7D, which is what was being discussed.

http://m.learn.usa.canon.com/resources/articles/2013/eos1dx_intelligent_viewfinder_display.mshtml

Canon EF 70-200mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Canon EOS 400D +16 more
bhollis

Keith Z Leonard wrote:

No, what I mean is LCD viewfinder, which is what I said, though I can see the confusion, it's LCD overlay, the 5d3 and 1dx both have LCD overlay viewfinders just like the 7D, which is what was being discussed.

http://m.learn.usa.canon.com/resources/articles/2013/eos1dx_intelligent_viewfinder_display.mshtml

And the primary criticism of the LCD overlay is that it doesn't provide illuminated AF points for low-light shooting.

Hasn't been much of a problem for me, but some folks have complained bitterly about it.  A partial firmware fix was provided for the 1DX, but so far nothing for the 5D3.

I expect this will be rectified in the 5D4.

bhollis wrote:

Keith Z Leonard wrote:

And the primary criticism of the LCD overlay is that it doesn't provide illuminated AF points for low-light shooting.

Hasn't been much of a problem for me, but some folks have complained bitterly about it. A partial firmware fix was provided for the 1DX, but so far nothing for the 5D3.

I expect this will be rectified in the 5D4.

Yeah, it hasn't been a big deal for me either, and it would seem that you could easily patch the firmware of the 5d3 to eliminate this issue, but Canon has chosen not to do so.

paulbysea Contributing Member • Posts: 526

Any camera is a compromise of price v performance v weight v system.  For me the 5D3 gives me access to Canon lenses and design philosophy which is important.

Ideally I would like the 5D3 to be the same cost as a 6D.

I do miss the crop factor of my 7D but in most instances I am OK without it.

I like being back with a full frame, having grown up with 35mm film getting my first SLR in 1977.

I would like it to weigh 500gs and still be as solids and tough as it is, an impossible wish.

I would like to be able to use all the functions more fluididly, without the steep learning curve I am having to go through.  Yet as I get more competent and master it I wonder why I found it so difficult.

None of these things I like are big enough disadvantages to stop me loving my 5D3.  For me the advantages totally out weigh the minor complaints above.  I think the sensor size is about right, the Nikon 800 sensor means the pixel density is around crop sensor density, so in my mind negates many of the advantages of going full frame.  Nikon is going after a niche market and wanting to attract gear heads rather than photographers I think.

Each of us needs to make our own choices about whether the compromises of the 5D3 match what we want or not.  When I sold my 7D for the 5D3 I did consider keeping the 7D and getting a 6D but the 6D did not fit my wish list.   I am very happy with my choice.

paulbysea's gear list:paulbysea's gear list
Pentax Optio W80 Nikon Coolpix A Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EF 20mm f/2.8 USM +8 more
Dan_168 Veteran Member • Posts: 7,123

paulbysea wrote:

...... the Nikon 800 sensor means the pixel density is around crop sensor density, so in my mind negates many of the advantages of going full frame. Nikon is going after a niche market and wanting to attract gear heads rather than photographers I think.

So 5D MK III is for "real" photographer and Nikon D800 is for gear head, OK, I got it, now, can I have some those stuffs you are smoking? LOL

bhollis

paulbysea wrote:

the Nikon 800 sensor means the pixel density is around crop sensor density, so in my mind negates many of the advantages of going full frame. Nikon is going after a niche market and wanting to attract gear heads rather than photographers I think.

In what way does the Nikon D800's pixel density "negate many of the advantages of going full frame?" What advantages does it negate?

Fact is, the Nikon D800's Exmor sensor manages to provide similar high ISO performance to Canon's full frame sensors, while at the same time providing both substantially higher resolution and substantially greater dynamic range.

fcimbar
fcimbar Regular Member • Posts: 357
Jack of all trades but master of none

is the truth.

fcimbar's gear list:fcimbar's gear list
Nikon D90 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR II Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Adobe Photoshop CS6 ACDSee Photo Editor 2008 +2 more
bhollis
Re: Jack of all trades but master of none

fcimbar wrote:

is the truth.

IMHO, it's a master of AF.  AF is the 5D3's strong suit.  It's the first DSLR I've owned where I really feel confident in the AF.

marksp2011 New Member • Posts: 1
Re: Jack of all trades but master of none

I have a 5D 3 and a 7D. I use them both and either is a significantly better camera than I am a photographer

I like the 7D for burst sports and for the reach from the cropped sensor. 7D + 1.4 extender saves a lot of money and probably my marriage.  I seem to take much better portraits with the 5D and still lifes/landscapes with the 5D.

The 5D 3  AF is amazing. I expect every shot to be in focus even when i have no right to expect it

yodermk Senior Member • Posts: 1,155
illuminated AF points

I don't know if I'm on drugs or if my 5D3 is special, but I have illuminated AF points. Or is it not referring to what I think it's referring to?  I know when I AF in low light, the used points blink red.

-- hide signature --

If it's a *Single* Lens Reflex, why do I need so many lenses?

yodermk's gear list:yodermk's gear list
Canon EOS 80D Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM +11 more
bhollis
Re: illuminated AF points

yodermk wrote:

I don't know if I'm on drugs or if my 5D3 is special, but I have illuminated AF points. Or is it not referring to what I think it's referring to? I know when I AF in low light, the used points blink red.

-- hide signature --

If it's a *Single* Lens Reflex, why do I need so many lenses?

Well, unless your 5D3 is very special, it only blinks red when you change focus points or lock focus. What a lot of folks would like is for the AF point(s) to remain illuminated (as they were with the 5D2), so that they can see where the AF point is and position it accordingly before locking focus.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads