panasonic gx7 or olympus e-m10 for a 1,000 budget?

Started Jul 17, 2014 | Discussions
OP Yeyo Forum Member • Posts: 96
Re: panasonic gx7 or olympus e-m10 for a 1,000 budget?

I want to thank everyone for the information provided. I have a question very important which camera has live exposure preview what i mean is which camera shows you the actual changes you are making (like changing aperture or shutter speed) before taking the picture?

Andrew Butterfield Senior Member • Posts: 2,458
Re: panasonic gx7 or olympus e-m10 for a 1,000 budget?

Yeyo wrote:

I want to thank everyone for the information provided. I have a question very important which camera has live exposure preview what i mean is which camera shows you the actual changes you are making (like changing aperture or shutter speed) before taking the picture?

The E-M10 shows you this I suppose but you really need to look at the histogram (which you can have 'live' in the viewfinder) because these cameras 'gain up' in low light and don't always give you a totally accurate representation of the photo you will get. Like on an SLR you have to select depth of field preview to see what you're getting in terms of differential focus. Compact cameras do this naturally in live view. I presume the GX7 is the same.--

Androo
http://Androo.smugmug.com

 Andrew Butterfield's gear list:Andrew Butterfield's gear list
Sony RX100 III Olympus E-M5 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm F1.8 +4 more
MarkyM Senior Member • Posts: 1,006
Re: panasonic gx7 or olympus e-m10 for a 1,000 budget?

I have had both and kept the EM-10.

Regarding exposure warnings, the GX-7 can have the live histogram displayed simultaneously with the level indicator and other displays during live view. This gets pretty cluttered with everything at once but a simpler display is just a button press away. I don't think you can have live blinkies on the GX-7 - I'm pretty sure you have to go to playback mode to see blinkies.

The EM-10 can show the live blinkies in live view but can't show them, the histogram or level indicators all together. You have to press the INFO button to switch between separate screens. It can however be set to show the horizontal level display at the bottom of the EVF during half-press of the shutter in EVF Modes 1 or 2.

I had the GX-7 since November but could never get comfortable with the EVF. Not because of any rainbows or tearing, it just was not comfortable for my eyesight with glasses. Even though it has more resolution, I could never judge focus with it. I don't know if it is just too small for me or if it was the optics in front of it or what but when I received the EM-10 and looked through the EVF, it was a huge relief for me. I like the central location better too. I did like the tilting feature (needed it because I am a left-eye shooter to avoid hitting the touchscreen with my nose and changing the focus point) and do miss it at times but the tilting LCD is fine.

I also miss the fully electronic shutter for its complete silence. Shutter shock is no longer an issue on the OM-D's because of the new 0 Sec. Anti-Shock which activates a first-curtain electronic shutter. I leave that on all the time and have seen no ill effects from it. The mechanical shutter is not that loud on the EM-10.

As for video, the GX-7 is superior but I do not shoot video that much. When I do, the 24mb/s full HD mode at 30p is just fine for me. For anything more, I'll grab my Panasonic camcorder.

IQ-wise, they are pretty much equivalent to my eye.

I do also like that if you shoot in 3:2 RAW mode on the EM-10, Lightroom still gives you the option to crop out to the full 4:3 image or adjust your 3:2 crop. It did not with the GX-7.

 MarkyM's gear list:MarkyM's gear list
Olympus E-M5 II Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro Rokinon 7.5mm F3.5 UMC Fisheye CS +3 more
gugarci Senior Member • Posts: 1,563
Re: panasonic gx7 or olympus e-m10 for a 1,000 budget?
1

Robert Snow wrote:

I have lost most of the sight in my right eye, so I have to use a viewfinder using the left eye.

bob snow

I feel your pain although in my case I can't see well out of my left eye it's very hazy all the time. Before this happened I was using a D300 and had trained myself to start using the right eye instead so my nose wouldn't rub the LCD. Who knew this was going to happen.

But good point. If you are a left eye shooter the EVF on the left side of the body is not ideal. I just picked up my GX7 and tried it. If was a left eye shooter I would of bought the E-M10 or E-M1. And I was considering both these bodies but the GX7 spoke to me the loudest. The Panasonic bodies, GH4, GH3, G6 & GX7 fit my hand like a tailor glove.

 gugarci's gear list:gugarci's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Sony a6000 Sigma 19mm F2.8 EX DN Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sigma 30mm F2.8 DN | A +3 more
clemcam Contributing Member • Posts: 603
Can you rent?

I recently made the same choice between the EM-10 and the GX7.   As in your case, I had no stores within a reasonable distance.  So I rented each successively from lensrentals.com.  These two cameras are equally "good", but each fit my hands, my face, and my aesthetic preferences very differently.  These issues are so personal that I don't think your choice should be made without handling the cameras.

 clemcam's gear list:clemcam's gear list
Olympus XZ-2 iHS Olympus E-M5 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 +6 more
jeffharris
jeffharris Veteran Member • Posts: 8,681
Re: panasonic gx7 or olympus e-m10 for a 1,000 budget?

Advent1sam wrote:

GX7 silent shutter is very addictive, it is an incredible differentiator from every other interchangeable lens camera, can be used anywhere? Add in twin axis is for non is primes and the incredible tilt evf and there is not much wrong with GX7.

Exactly. Silent Mode is a game changer. I can take shots virtually anywhere, unnoticed. The streamlined, hump less body of the GX7 makes it much more subtle and less noticeable, too.

For instance, my girlfriend and I were recently in Ghent, Belgium. We went to see Van Eijk's Ghent Altarpiece and I was itching to get some shots of it. Unfortunately, there were "No Photo" signs. Hmmpfh! Couple my GX7, Voigtländer 17.5mm @ f5.6, zone focus and my NYC stealth shooting techniques…

Van Eijk's Ghent Altarpiece … GX7 with Voigtländer 17.5mm in Silent Mode.

Other major differences between the GX7 and EM10 are the superior out-of-the-box handling, ergonomics and interface of the GX7. When I tried an EM10 it struck me as being way too small, with cramped controls. Even adding an external grip wouldn't help the control issues.

 jeffharris's gear list:jeffharris's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Voigtlander Nokton 25mm F0.95 Voigtlander Nokton 42.5mm F0.95 Voigtlander Nokton 17.5mm F0.95 Aspherical +28 more
OP Yeyo Forum Member • Posts: 96
Re: panasonic gx7 or olympus e-m10 for a 1,000 budget?

I have had both and kept the EM-10.

Regarding exposure warnings, the GX-7 can have the live histogram displayed simultaneously with the level indicator and other displays during live view. This gets pretty cluttered with everything at once but a simpler display is just a button press away. I don't think you can have live blinkies on the GX-7 - I'm pretty sure you have to go to playback mode to see blinkies.

The EM-10 can show the live blinkies in live view but can't show them, the histogram or level indicators all together. You have to press the INFO button to switch between separate screens. It can however be set to show the horizontal level display at the bottom of the EVF during half-press of the shutter in EVF Modes 1 or 2.

I had the GX-7 since November but could never get comfortable with the EVF. Not because of any rainbows or tearing, it just was not comfortable for my eyesight with glasses. Even though it has more resolution, I could never judge focus with it. I don't know if it is just too small for me or if it was the optics in front of it or what but when I received the EM-10 and looked through the EVF, it was a huge relief for me. I like the central location better too. I did like the tilting feature (needed it because I am a left-eye shooter to avoid hitting the touchscreen with my nose and changing the focus point) and do miss it at times but the tilting LCD is fine.

I also miss the fully electronic shutter for its complete silence. Shutter shock is no longer an issue on the OM-D's because of the new 0 Sec. Anti-Shock which activates a first-curtain electronic shutter. I leave that on all the time and have seen no ill effects from it. The mechanical shutter is not that loud on the EM-10.

As for video, the GX-7 is superior but I do not shoot video that much. When I do, the 24mb/s full HD mode at 30p is just fine for me. For anything more, I'll grab my Panasonic camcorder.

IQ-wise, they are pretty much equivalent to my eye.

I do also like that if you shoot in 3:2 RAW mode on the EM-10, Lightroom still gives you the option to crop out to the full 4:3 image or adjust your 3:2 crop. It did not with the GX-7.

Thank you so much for the info!

jennajenna Senior Member • Posts: 1,466
Re: panasonic gx7 or olympus e-m10 for a 1,000 budget?

Yeyo wrote:

Hey people which one do you recommend between panasonic gx7 and olympus e-m10 for a 1,000 budget?

I think you are making a mistake not considering a quality used e-m5; can be found for around $550 now.

Advent1sam
Advent1sam Senior Member • Posts: 5,021
Re: panasonic gx7 or olympus e-m10 for a 1,000 budget?

jennajenna wrote:

Yeyo wrote:

Hey people which one do you recommend between panasonic gx7 and olympus e-m10 for a 1,000 budget?

I think you are making a mistake not considering a quality used e-m5; can be found for around $550 now.

I'd be very nervous of the em-5, on reflection mine suffered very badly with shutter shock and yes I liked it better than the EM-1, but I would be apprehensive about getting another. The 0 shutter shock mode on the 1 and 10 definitely help, however, the GX7 in silent mode is something else for a MILC.

Advent1sam
Advent1sam Senior Member • Posts: 5,021
Re: panasonic gx7 or olympus e-m10 for a 1,000 budget?

jeffharris wrote:

Advent1sam wrote:

GX7 silent shutter is very addictive, it is an incredible differentiator from every other interchangeable lens camera, can be used anywhere? Add in twin axis is for non is primes and the incredible tilt evf and there is not much wrong with GX7.

Exactly. Silent Mode is a game changer. I can take shots virtually anywhere, unnoticed. The streamlined, hump less body of the GX7 makes it much more subtle and less noticeable, too.

For instance, my girlfriend and I were recently in Ghent, Belgium. We went to see Van Eijk's Ghent Altarpiece and I was itching to get some shots of it. Unfortunately, there were "No Photo" signs. Hmmpfh! Couple my GX7, Voigtländer 17.5mm @ f5.6, zone focus and my NYC stealth shooting techniques…

Van Eijk's Ghent Altarpiece … GX7 with Voigtländer 17.5mm in Silent Mode.

Other major differences between the GX7 and EM10 are the superior out-of-the-box handling, ergonomics and interface of the GX7. When I tried an EM10 it struck me as being way too small, with cramped controls. Even adding an external grip wouldn't help the control issues.

I took my EM-1 to Paris recently and was in a similar situation, but have no image to show ;(

jennajenna Senior Member • Posts: 1,466
Re: panasonic gx7 or olympus e-m10 for a 1,000 budget?

Advent1sam wrote:

jennajenna wrote:

Yeyo wrote:

Hey people which one do you recommend between panasonic gx7 and olympus e-m10 for a 1,000 budget?

I think you are making a mistake not considering a quality used e-m5; can be found for around $550 now.

I'd be very nervous of the em-5, on reflection mine suffered very badly with shutter shock and yes I liked it better than the EM-1, but I would be apprehensive about getting another. The 0 shutter shock mode on the 1 and 10 definitely help, however, the GX7 in silent mode is something else for a MILC.

You know I've read about the shutter shock issue and I guess I'm lucky but never experienced it. Also my brother owns an e-m5 too and his has been well behaved as well. I agree on the silent mode. Lovely feature but if you don't really plan to use it....

OP Yeyo Forum Member • Posts: 96
Re: panasonic gx7 or olympus e-m10 for a 1,000 budget?

Advent1sam wrote:

jennajenna wrote:

Yeyo wrote:

Hey people which one do you recommend between panasonic gx7 and olympus e-m10 for a 1,000 budget?

I think you are making a mistake not considering a quality used e-m5; can be found for around $550 now.

I'd be very nervous of the em-5, on reflection mine suffered very badly with shutter shock and yes I liked it better than the EM-1, but I would be apprehensive about getting another. The 0 shutter shock mode on the 1 and 10 definitely help, however, the GX7 in silent mode is something else for a MILC.

You know I've read about the shutter shock issue and I guess I'm lucky but never experienced it. Also my brother owns an e-m5 too and his has been well behaved as well. I agree on the silent mode. Lovely feature but if you don't really plan to use it....

Leaning a bit more to the em10 and 5 because of the viewfinder center location im more used to the dslt center location i used a nex6 in christmas and didnt get used to the viewfinder location. But i dont know because i been reading the em10 video is lacking and i like sometimes to do a little video. Any opinion on video on em10 or em5?

jennajenna Senior Member • Posts: 1,466
Re: panasonic gx7 or olympus e-m10 for a 1,000 budget?

Yeyo wrote:

Advent1sam wrote:

jennajenna wrote:

Yeyo wrote:

Hey people which one do you recommend between panasonic gx7 and olympus e-m10 for a 1,000 budget?

I think you are making a mistake not considering a quality used e-m5; can be found for around $550 now.

I'd be very nervous of the em-5, on reflection mine suffered very badly with shutter shock and yes I liked it better than the EM-1, but I would be apprehensive about getting another. The 0 shutter shock mode on the 1 and 10 definitely help, however, the GX7 in silent mode is something else for a MILC.

You know I've read about the shutter shock issue and I guess I'm lucky but never experienced it. Also my brother owns an e-m5 too and his has been well behaved as well. I agree on the silent mode. Lovely feature but if you don't really plan to use it....

Leaning a bit more to the em10 and 5 because of the viewfinder center location im more used to the dslt center location i used a nex6 in christmas and didnt get used to the viewfinder location. But i dont know because i been reading the em10 video is lacking and i like sometimes to do a little video. Any opinion on video on em10 or em5?

That's a tough one. The gx7 clearly has a superior codec (higher bitrate). BUT your vids will "appear" better due to the inbody video stabilization of the olympus. I have a gh3 and e-m5 and to be honest the e-m5 looks better when I don't use a tripod or use a stabilized lens. And if you want to go somewhere where "small" is important then the olympus is your best choice.

OP Yeyo Forum Member • Posts: 96
Re: panasonic gx7 or olympus e-m10 for a 1,000 budget?

Yeyo wrote:

Advent1sam wrote:

jennajenna wrote:

Yeyo wrote:

Hey people which one do you recommend between panasonic gx7 and olympus e-m10 for a 1,000 budget?

I think you are making a mistake not considering a quality used e-m5; can be found for around $550 now.

I'd be very nervous of the em-5, on reflection mine suffered very badly with shutter shock and yes I liked it better than the EM-1, but I would be apprehensive about getting another. The 0 shutter shock mode on the 1 and 10 definitely help, however, the GX7 in silent mode is something else for a MILC.

You know I've read about the shutter shock issue and I guess I'm lucky but never experienced it. Also my brother owns an e-m5 too and his has been well behaved as well. I agree on the silent mode. Lovely feature but if you don't really plan to use it....

Leaning a bit more to the em10 and 5 because of the viewfinder center location im more used to the dslt center location i used a nex6 in christmas and didnt get used to the viewfinder location. But i dont know because i been reading the em10 video is lacking and i like sometimes to do a little video. Any opinion on video on em10 or em5?

That's a tough one. The gx7 clearly has a superior codec (higher bitrate). BUT your vids will "appear" better due to the inbody video stabilization of the olympus. I have a gh3 and e-m5 and to be honest the e-m5 looks better when I don't use a tripod or use a stabilized lens. And if you want to go somewhere where "small" is important then the olympus is your best choice.

Thanks Jenna!

PC Wheeler
PC Wheeler Forum Pro • Posts: 17,843
Re: panasonic gx7 or olympus e-m10 for a 1,000 budget?

I'm a Panasonic fan and do not like the Oly menu system. But I recently purchased a GX7 and returned it after a day. I didn't care for the EVF nor the handling. The EVF issue seemed to relate to my glasses, but no such issues with the GH line, so not sure. Great IQ from the GX7, though.

So, gulp, in this case I have to recommend the E-M10. I'd buy that (or an E-M1) as a second m4/3 body, but the Oly menus have always frustrated me.

-- hide signature --

Phil

 PC Wheeler's gear list:PC Wheeler's gear list
Panasonic ZS100 Canon PowerShot ELPH 330 HS Sony RX10 IV
OP Yeyo Forum Member • Posts: 96
Re: panasonic gx7 or olympus e-m10 for a 1,000 budget?

I'm a Panasonic fan and do not like the Oly menu system. But I recently purchased a GX7 and returned it after a day. I didn't care for the EVF nor the handling. The EVF issue seemed to relate to my glasses, but no such issues with the GH line, so not sure. Great IQ from the GX7, though.

So, gulp, in this case I have to recommend the E-M10. I'd buy that (or an E-M1) as a second m4/3 body, but the Oly menus have always frustrated me.

-- hide signature --

Phil

Why did you returned it? It wasnt what you were expecting? Or didnt bring what you needed?

Advent1sam
Advent1sam Senior Member • Posts: 5,021
Re: panasonic gx7 or olympus e-m10 for a 1,000 budget?

jennajenna wrote:

Advent1sam wrote:

jennajenna wrote:

Yeyo wrote:

Hey people which one do you recommend between panasonic gx7 and olympus e-m10 for a 1,000 budget?

I think you are making a mistake not considering a quality used e-m5; can be found for around $550 now.

I'd be very nervous of the em-5, on reflection mine suffered very badly with shutter shock and yes I liked it better than the EM-1, but I would be apprehensive about getting another. The 0 shutter shock mode on the 1 and 10 definitely help, however, the GX7 in silent mode is something else for a MILC.

You know I've read about the shutter shock issue and I guess I'm lucky but never experienced it. Also my brother owns an e-m5 too and his has been well behaved as well. I agree on the silent mode. Lovely feature but if you don't really plan to use it....

Why wouldn't you plan to use it all the time? it's silent and zero vibration, what's not to like.

Advent1sam
Advent1sam Senior Member • Posts: 5,021
Re: panasonic gx7 or olympus e-m10 for a 1,000 budget?

Yeyo wrote:

Yeyo wrote:

Advent1sam wrote:

jennajenna wrote:

Yeyo wrote:

Hey people which one do you recommend between panasonic gx7 and olympus e-m10 for a 1,000 budget?

I think you are making a mistake not considering a quality used e-m5; can be found for around $550 now.

I'd be very nervous of the em-5, on reflection mine suffered very badly with shutter shock and yes I liked it better than the EM-1, but I would be apprehensive about getting another. The 0 shutter shock mode on the 1 and 10 definitely help, however, the GX7 in silent mode is something else for a MILC.

You know I've read about the shutter shock issue and I guess I'm lucky but never experienced it. Also my brother owns an e-m5 too and his has been well behaved as well. I agree on the silent mode. Lovely feature but if you don't really plan to use it....

Leaning a bit more to the em10 and 5 because of the viewfinder center location im more used to the dslt center location i used a nex6 in christmas and didnt get used to the viewfinder location. But i dont know because i been reading the em10 video is lacking and i like sometimes to do a little video. Any opinion on video on em10 or em5?

That's a tough one. The gx7 clearly has a superior codec (higher bitrate). BUT your vids will "appear" better due to the inbody video stabilization of the olympus. I have a gh3 and e-m5 and to be honest the e-m5 looks better when I don't use a tripod or use a stabilized lens. And if you want to go somewhere where "small" is important then the olympus is your best choice.

Thanks Jenna!

1080/50 or 60, 24p all std codecs on the Gx7, em-5 actually had better video to me than the EM-1 and the 5 axis seemed more fluid in video, I could not get to grips with the EM-1 video. Don't discount the Gx7 corner evf, its clearly superior to both the em-5 and em-10 and I actually preferred it to the EM-1 and the Sony A6000 by quite a bit.

OP Yeyo Forum Member • Posts: 96
Re: panasonic gx7 or olympus e-m10 for a 1,000 budget?

Yeyo wrote:

Yeyo wrote:

Advent1sam wrote:

jennajenna wrote:

Yeyo wrote:

Hey people which one do you recommend between panasonic gx7 and olympus e-m10 for a 1,000 budget?

I think you are making a mistake not considering a quality used e-m5; can be found for around $550 now.

I'd be very nervous of the em-5, on reflection mine suffered very badly with shutter shock and yes I liked it better than the EM-1, but I would be apprehensive about getting another. The 0 shutter shock mode on the 1 and 10 definitely help, however, the GX7 in silent mode is something else for a MILC.

You know I've read about the shutter shock issue and I guess I'm lucky but never experienced it. Also my brother owns an e-m5 too and his has been well behaved as well. I agree on the silent mode. Lovely feature but if you don't really plan to use it....

Leaning a bit more to the em10 and 5 because of the viewfinder center location im more used to the dslt center location i used a nex6 in christmas and didnt get used to the viewfinder location. But i dont know because i been reading the em10 video is lacking and i like sometimes to do a little video. Any opinion on video on em10 or em5?

That's a tough one. The gx7 clearly has a superior codec (higher bitrate). BUT your vids will "appear" better due to the inbody video stabilization of the olympus. I have a gh3 and e-m5 and to be honest the e-m5 looks better when I don't use a tripod or use a stabilized lens. And if you want to go somewhere where "small" is important then the olympus is your best choice.

Thanks Jenna!

1080/50 or 60, 24p all std codecs on the Gx7, em-5 actually had better video to me than the EM-1 and the 5 axis seemed more fluid in video, I could not get to grips with the EM-1 video. Don't discount the Gx7 corner evf, its clearly superior to both the em-5 and em-10 and I actually preferred it to the EM-1 and the Sony A6000 by quite a bit.

Jum decisions decisions not eliminating the gx7 yet. Still thinking about which one would be the best choice.

Jim Mohundro Contributing Member • Posts: 667
Re: The Ghent Image
1

Re making images where "no photo" signs are posted, is there a forum here that discusses the ethics of such photography? I disagree with the poster who captured images in Ghent where photography was prohibited as to the ethics of such photography. I suspect that I'm not alone (but I might still be in a small minority) that respects prohibitions involving photography, but I certainly don't want to hijack this very polite (so far--unlike far too many DPR discussions) E-10 v GX7 thread for that purpose.

-- hide signature --

Jim Mohundro

 Jim Mohundro's gear list:Jim Mohundro's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 Nikon D750 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Nikon AF Nikkor 180mm f/2.8D ED-IF Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 +7 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads