This board is nurturing, friendly, articulate, educating, and a true pleasure to participate in.

Started Jul 17, 2014 | Discussions
(unknown member) Contributing Member • Posts: 853
This board is nurturing, friendly, articulate, educating, and a true pleasure to participate in.

I have been a user of the DPreview boards for the last 4 years, first the Canon Compact and DSLR boards, then starting about 3 years ago the Sony NEX, Micro 4/3 and Panasonic Compact boards, with occasional interactions on a few others.

For me, the Panasonic Board is many, many millimeters (bad pun) superior to any of the other boards thanks to the thoughtful, kind, intelligent, supportive participants here. Your love of photography clearly shines thru, and I can't imagine a better place to be, other than out taking photographs.

I should have written this many months ago, but better late than never.

Thank you all, your presence makes all the difference.

Joel

kkardster
kkardster Veteran Member • Posts: 8,684
Re: This board is nurturing, friendly, articulate, educating, and a true pleasure to participate in.

I agree Joel. And thanks for your contributions as well. I've heard horror stories about some of the other forums and like it here

Most of the non-vendor-specific forums are are also quite friendly and helpful but the Open Talk forum can get a bit pretentious.

-- hide signature --

Bruce
You learn something new every time you press the shutter

kkardster's gear list:kkardster's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LZ7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Panasonic ZS100 +5 more
Jerrich
Jerrich Senior Member • Posts: 2,697
Re: This board is nurturing, friendly, articulate, educating, and a true pleasure to participate in.

I've noticed this too.  I used to haunt a few of the other forums and you really need a thick skin to stick around there.  I saw one member even get banned from the site.  I like it here too.

JR

-- hide signature --

Panny FZ200, ZS25, ZS40

Jerrich's gear list:Jerrich's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS25 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS40 (TZ60) Canon PowerShot G7 X
csa2
csa2 Contributing Member • Posts: 692

Joel, I agree.  On this forum members are more interested in helping others, sharing their experiences & images rather than attacking their fellow members.  A very pleasant experience!

-- hide signature --

Carol
Proud owner of FZ40 and FZ70.

carl english
carl english Veteran Member • Posts: 9,182

Agree 100% just popped in today as have bought a new (for me) FZ200 and the first post I read from "Hatstand" was about photographing at an Airshow, excellent images but more important to me was he posted all the settings which is appreciated.

Carl

carl english's gear list:carl english's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ150 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Panasonic FZ1000 +1 more
Briansdad1
Briansdad1 Senior Member • Posts: 2,977

Ditto, so glad that this forum is as it is. Hope that never changes.

Bill

-- hide signature --

I'm not a pro. Images I post are unrestricted. Copy, edit, re-post here as part of the tread or elsewhere. C&C always welcome and encouraged - I'm not touchy about the negatives.

Briansdad1's gear list:Briansdad1's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ70 Panasonic FZ1000 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G +9 more
rolandb
rolandb Senior Member • Posts: 2,291

Here, Here,, couldn't agree more,, the help,, info,, advice given to me over my time here has been fantastic,, long may it continue,,

Roland.     http://www.flickr.com/photos/rolandb52/

Erik Ohlson
Erik Ohlson Forum Pro • Posts: 19,870

Fully agree - it's so great to be back!

This is my second post since I just returned from a bit over a month in Sweden & the UK, and I had several "PM"s waiting and all th regulat posts - it's almost like family  

-- hide signature --

"Measure wealth not by things you have but by things for which you would not take money"
www.flickr.com/ohlsonmh/ ohlsonmh@yahoo.com

kkardster
kkardster Veteran Member • Posts: 8,684

Erik Ohlson wrote:

This is my second post since I just returned from a bit over a month in Sweden & the UK, and I had several "PM"s waiting and all th regulat posts - it's almost like family

Welcome back Erik - it's been a bit quieter without you!  I assume you had a good trip and glad you made it back safely.

-- hide signature --

Bruce

kkardster's gear list:kkardster's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LZ7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Panasonic ZS100 +5 more
Lisetta1 Senior Member • Posts: 1,462

Coming from another board, I thought this title was a joke! Congratulations to you all that it isn't!

Wish you'd spread the love--some of the other forums here really need it.

Lisetta

kcdogger Senior Member • Posts: 2,057

Joel - That is why I stay on this forum.  People are friendly and helpful - in contrast to some other forums where it can get snarky real fast.  People here - for the most part - actually care about each other and have a common sense approach to photography.  Glad you posted your thoughts.

Peace.

John

kcdogger's gear list:kcdogger's gear list
Olympus Tough TG-4 Olympus XZ-2 iHS Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Canon PowerShot S100 Olympus OM-D E-M10 +9 more
Timj351
Timj351 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,165

joel artino wrote:

I have been a user of the DPreview boards for the last 4 years, first the Canon Compact and DSLR boards, then starting about 3 years ago the Sony NEX, Micro 4/3 and Panasonic Compact boards, with occasional interactions on a few others.

For me, the Panasonic Board is many, many millimeters (bad pun) superior to any of the other boards thanks to the thoughtful, kind, intelligent, supportive participants here. Your love of photography clearly shines thru, and I can't imagine a better place to be, other than out taking photographs.

Joel

Oh shut up! Couldn't resist and couldn't agree more with you.

-Tim

Timj351's gear list:Timj351's gear list
Panasonic FZ1000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ150 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FP8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 +5 more
kcdogger Senior Member • Posts: 2,057

Erik -  Welcome back.  I hope your trip was fantastic and everything you had hoped for.  Did you end up taking the ZS25 or the Casio XR700, or both?  You unintentionally caused quite a stir with your comments about the Casio XR700, and at least four of us have now purchased one based upon only that.  Very interesting camera.  Any pictures of Sweden?  I know.  Silly question.

Peace.

John

kcdogger's gear list:kcdogger's gear list
Olympus Tough TG-4 Olympus XZ-2 iHS Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Canon PowerShot S100 Olympus OM-D E-M10 +9 more
OP (unknown member) Contributing Member • Posts: 853

Timj351 wrote:

joel artino wrote:

Joel

-Tim

Oh sweet rudeness, more please, more! 

Joel

sherman_levine
sherman_levine Forum Pro • Posts: 11,021

Timj351 wrote:

joel artino wrote:

Joel

-Tim

Tim

I agree with you. It's comments like Joel's that make me wish I were more fluent in Snark.

sherman_levine's gear list:sherman_levine's gear list
Panasonic FZ1000 Nikon Coolpix P900 Panasonic FZ80/FZ82
Marla
Marla Veteran Member • Posts: 8,994
Re: This forum is exceptional!

I've also moved around the DP forums depending on the different camera purchases through the years. When owning Panasonic, I always found this forum the most welcoming and friendly.

Personally I haven't had problems with people on my threads/posts but others have, and sometimes it is a challenge reading through some threads. I do wonder why there is such diversity in the way people respond to each other, and why people on some forums are friendlier than on others.

I think part of it may be that some forums are more "focused" on gear and this can become competitive. Sometimes I think it would be a good idea to have a forum just for posting photos and and sharing our thoughts - regardless of the brand of camera you're shooting with.

The GOOD NEWS today...........I just purchased another GF1 (after selling 2 previously). This one I WILL KEEP! I purchased it as a 2nd camera to my EM5.

Although the GF1 is not a compact, I've posted my previous GF1 photos here frequently - and was always made to feel welcome! I still have some friends around!

-- hide signature --

Maria

Marla's gear list:Marla's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Olympus PEN-F Panasonic Leica D Summilux Asph 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS +1 more
treedood
treedood Regular Member • Posts: 248

I "lurked" for quite a while before getting up the nerve to post my first picture here (in the old B&W weekly).  I considered myself a rank amateur (still do) so was worried about what kind of comments I would get.  I needn't have worried.  *Everyone* has been nothing but helpful and gracious over the time I have participated.  You guys have taught me a lot.  One of my favorite "hangouts".

-- hide signature --

Max

treedood's gear list:treedood's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ150 Canon PowerShot A590 IS Adobe Photoshop Elements 10 Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5 Topaz Adjust +9 more
OP (unknown member) Contributing Member • Posts: 853

Erik Ohlson wrote:

-- hide signature --

"Measure wealth not by things you have but by things for which you would not take money"
www.flickr.com/ohlsonmh/ ohlsonmh@yahoo.com

Erik,

Welcome home.  Looking forward to see what "gifts" you brought us!

Joel

Briansdad1
Briansdad1 Senior Member • Posts: 2,977

kkardster wrote:

Erik Ohlson wrote:

Welcome back Erik - it's been a bit quieter without you! I assume you had a good trip and glad you made it back safely.

-- hide signature --

Bruce

Yes, Erik, really good to have you back I expect you'll have a lot of great photos to share with us - so, start posting 

Bill

-- hide signature --

I'm not a pro. Images I post are unrestricted. Copy, edit, re-post here as part of the tread or elsewhere. C&C always welcome and encouraged - I'm not touchy about the negatives.

Briansdad1's gear list:Briansdad1's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ70 Panasonic FZ1000 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G +9 more
Timj351
Timj351 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,165

Briansdad1 wrote:

kkardster wrote:

Erik Ohlson wrote:

Welcome back Erik - it's been a bit quieter without you! I assume you had a good trip and glad you made it back safely.

-- hide signature --

Bruce

Yes, Erik, really good to have you back I expect you'll have a lot of great photos to share with us - so, start posting

Bill

-- hide signature --

Yah Erik come on start posting, lets see the pics. Oh, welcome back, I hope you had a great time. Now where are the pics?

-Tim

Timj351's gear list:Timj351's gear list
Panasonic FZ1000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ150 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FP8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 +5 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads