Why I'm moving from the Sony A7 to Fuji X-T1

Started Jul 17, 2014 | Discussions
juvx
juvx Senior Member • Posts: 1,536
Why I'm moving from the Sony A7 to Fuji X-T1

TL/DR. Lenses

Hi i currently have the A7 and am considering going back to fuji. Granted i never owned the X-T1 but the Iv owned X-E1.

Here are some things I like about the Sony A7:

• Great Grip, feels good in the hand. I don't use a strap and i never feel like i could drop it.
  • Great construction. It is weather resistant, iv got it wet many times with no issues. Body feels solid.
  • The FE lenses available are pretty good. The Ziess 35mm and 55mm and 70-200 are all very sharp.
  • The RAW files the A7 produces are very good and clean. They can be heavily edited in lightroom and bring out the details in the shadows.
  • Color rendition is pretty good, there is a certain POP to the images mainly on the Ziess lenses that have their own personality in my opinion. Some people dont like it (purists) but i love it.
  • The wi-fi and NFC actually works pretty well and i use it all the time to send pictures to my phone and post to social media.
  • Image quality as a whole is amazing.
  • Autofocus is not as bad as the initial reviews suggested. Only in very dim light does it struggle to lock on.
  • The face detection autofocus is by FAR the best iv ever seen implemented on any camera.
  • The menu system is actually pretty well done. It has a lot of options but its fairly easy to figure out and highly customizable. Also has 2 memorie modes are very very useful. I use one for moving subjects like kids in shutter prio, continuous autofocus and speed priority FPS. Works really well outside and gets 70-80% of the shots in focus.
  • You can adapt all kinds of lenses to it. Sony alpha and Canon even offer autofocus adaptors. but any full frame lens will work in manual focus. Its great if you have old lenses. I dont...
  • Overall I'm happy with the camera. I would highly recommend it to someone looking to move up from APSC.

Things I don't like and why im switching to fuji in a month:

• JPEG ooc quality is pretty bad. If you shoot only JPEG stick to Fuji. the A7 is a RAW shooters camera only !This is one of the reasons im switching. Although i mostly shoot raw i love the fuji film filters and JPEG quality. I want the option.
  • Native Lenses are very few and expensive for their speed. I really want a telephoto lens and the only option is the 70-200.. at 1500$. I do not want to adapt any lenses because it defeats the purpose of the small camera.
  • Fast lenses will be HUGE even when the do make them. they are full frame...
  • I love the fuji look and controls.. the A7 isnt as sexy.
  • I really like the 23 1.4 and 56 1.2 and 55-200... Im mainly moving because Sony doesn't have anything close to those.
  • I love the colors and image quality FUJI offers for PEOPLE. Skin tones to be exact.
  • I'm hoping autofocus will be even better than the A7 which isnt bad. and more FPS cant hurt either.
  • The e-viewfinder is amazing on the X-T1. Although its not bad on the A7 it doesnt blow you away either
 juvx's gear list:juvx's gear list
Sony Alpha a7R II Sony a6500 Sony a9 Sony E PZ 18-105mm F4 G OSS Sony FE 35mm F1.4 +4 more
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T1 Sony Alpha a7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
HPS3 Regular Member • Posts: 496
Re: Why I'm moving from the Sony A7 to Fuji X-T1

I went from the XT1 to the A7 now back to the XT1. I find the Fuji just a more enjoyable camera. I thought the A7 AF was sluggish and just didn't track my kids and puppies at all. I find the XT1 with the 55-200 to be great at tracking them running and riding bikes and such. I also love the Fuji lenses and they're smaller.

The Fuji also seems to nail the WB and skin tones look great. Is the XT1 as good at high ISO,  no,  but i usually stay under 6400 so it's pretty close.

HPS3's gear list:HPS3's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2
Astrophotographer 10 Veteran Member • Posts: 9,624

You've summed it up very well. I have XT1 and A7r. I like them both but agree with your assessment.

The tracking AF is one of the big pluses of the XT1 plus Fuji colours are generally speaking very good.

I presume its the same with A7 but one of the biggest differences with A7r and XT1 is a bit more dynamic range with the A7r which is handy -no cyan skies.

I personally think these are the 2 most interesting and high performing cameras on the market.

Greg.

Astrophotographer 10's gear list:Astrophotographer 10's gear list
Sony Alpha a7R II Fujifilm X-T2 Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Fujifilm XF 50-140mm F2.8 Fujifilm 16-55mm F2.8R LM WR +7 more
Polariser Regular Member • Posts: 403
Torn - Sony A7 to Fuji X-T1

I'm torn between these two.. and finding it extremely hard to decide. I was also considering the EM1 but gone off that idea because of the dodgy EVF problems peope are reporting.

I have an EM5 but fear going to APS-C wont be such a massively visible upgrade. But lens selection on the Sony isnt that great ...

What i would really like is a 36mp sensor in an EM1 body with Fuji lenses ..

Polariser's gear list:Polariser's gear list
Sony RX100 Olympus PEN E-P2 Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 +9 more
SaltLakeGuy
SaltLakeGuy Forum Pro • Posts: 13,589
Re: Torn - Sony A7 to Fuji X-T1

Although I've already changed once again, I happened to have an EM1 when it first came out. Last February got a X-T1 to try out next to it. The EM1 went on the Buy and Sell forum pretty quick. The Fuji colors are better and the low noise performance of the Fuji is intoxicating. Nothing but noise on the mft stuff especially in the sky at ALL Iso's. So the move to the fuji would be a good move to you and YES you WILL see some significant improvements.

-- hide signature --

Sony A77MkII SLT Body, 16-50 f2.8 Sony Lens, 70-300G Sony Lens
Picturecode PhotoNinja, LightZone, Adobe Lightroom 5.4

SaltLakeGuy's gear list:SaltLakeGuy's gear list
Sony RX10 IV Epson Stylus Pro 3880 +8 more
juvx
OP juvx Senior Member • Posts: 1,536

Polariser wrote:

I'm torn between these two.. and finding it extremely hard to decide. I was also considering the EM1 but gone off that idea because of the dodgy EVF problems peope are reporting.

I have an EM5 but fear going to APS-C wont be such a massively visible upgrade. But lens selection on the Sony isnt that great ...

What i would really like is a 36mp sensor in an EM1 body with Fuji lenses ..

Yeah the EM1 seems to be an amazing camera. However, for pure image quality i would stick to A7 or X-T1. I check flickr all the time and the images there at least to me...feel better from the sony and fuji.

I wish they had that camera too. Would be amazing, Maybe one day... then again Sony improves their tech so fast i wouldn't be surprised if they next A7 will be a slam dunk. Same goes for Fuji. I cant wait to see what the xpro2 and x200 are like.

Sony Alpha a7R II Sony a6500 Sony a9 Sony E PZ 18-105mm F4 G OSS Sony FE 35mm F1.4 +4 more
juvx

SaltLakeGuy wrote:

Although I've already changed once again, I happened to have an EM1 when it first came out. Last February got a X-T1 to try out next to it. The EM1 went on the Buy and Sell forum pretty quick. The Fuji colors are better and the low noise performance of the Fuji is intoxicating. Nothing but noise on the mft stuff especially in the sky at ALL Iso's. So the move to the fuji would be a good move to you and YES you WILL see some significant improvements.

-- hide signature --

Iv noticed that too from m4/3. People love the camera so much they overlook it but even with the most expensive lenses, quality is still not as good as fuji or A7/A7r

SaltLakeGuy

You can massage physics but you for darn sure can NOT change the Laws of  Physics.

-- hide signature --

Chad Hardy
Chad Hardy Senior Member • Posts: 1,192

juvx wrote:

TL/DR. Lenses

Hi i currently have the A7 and am considering going back to fuji. Granted i never owned the X-T1 but the Iv owned X-E1.

• Great Grip, feels good in the hand. I don't use a strap and i never feel like i could drop it.
  • Great construction. It is weather resistant, iv got it wet many times with no issues. Body feels solid.
  • The FE lenses available are pretty good. The Ziess 35mm and 55mm and 70-200 are all very sharp.
  • The RAW files the A7 produces are very good and clean. They can be heavily edited in lightroom and bring out the details in the shadows.
  • Color rendition is pretty good, there is a certain POP to the images mainly on the Ziess lenses that have their own personality in my opinion. Some people dont like it (purists) but i love it.
  • The wi-fi and NFC actually works pretty well and i use it all the time to send pictures to my phone and post to social media.
  • Autofocus is not as bad as the initial reviews suggested. Only in very dim light does it struggle to lock on.
  • The face detection autofocus is by FAR the best iv ever seen implemented on any camera.
  • The menu system is actually pretty well done. It has a lot of options but its fairly easy to figure out and highly customizable. Also has 2 memorie modes are very very useful. I use one for moving subjects like kids in shutter prio, continuous autofocus and speed priority FPS. Works really well outside and gets 70-80% of the shots in focus.
  • You can adapt all kinds of lenses to it. Sony alpha and Canon even offer autofocus adaptors. but any full frame lens will work in manual focus. Its great if you have old lenses. I dont...
  • Overall I'm happy with the camera. I would highly recommend it to someone looking to move up from APSC.

• JPEG ooc quality is pretty bad. If you shoot only JPEG stick to Fuji. the A7 is a RAW shooters camera only !This is one of the reasons im switching. Although i mostly shoot raw i love the fuji film filters and JPEG quality. I want the option.
  • Native Lenses are very few and expensive for their speed. I really want a telephoto lens and the only option is the 70-200.. at 1500$. I do not want to adapt any lenses because it defeats the purpose of the small camera.
  • I really like the 23 1.4 and 56 1.2 and 55-200... Im mainly moving because Sony doesn't have anything close to those.
  • I love the colors and image quality FUJI offers for PEOPLE. Skin tones to be exact.
  • I'm hoping autofocus will be even better than the A7 which isnt bad. and more FPS cant hurt either.
  • The e-viewfinder is amazing on the X-T1. Although its not bad on the A7 it doesnt blow you away either

I have the A7R and the X-T1.  Really there are 2 reasons I almost always use the X-T1 aside from landscapes.  Lens selection and controls.

Chad Hardy's gear list:Chad Hardy's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R Sony RX100 III Olympus E-M1 +16 more
juvx

I have the A7R and the X-T1. Really there are 2 reasons I almost always use the X-T1 aside from landscapes. Lens selection and controls.

Yeah those are my main two reasons for considering this change. Also the autofocus. I wonder just how much better it is than an A7?

Duane H Forum Member • Posts: 83

juvx wrote:

TL/DR. Lenses

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/54044086

Check this link out, I am also looking at the A7 and X-T1, this shows some dramatic differences between the two.

-- hide signature --

dhemi58

Duane H's gear list:Duane H's gear list
Sony Alpha a7 Sony FE 35mm F2.8 Sony FE 28-70mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Phase One Capture One Pro DxO Optics Pro Elite +1 more
Polariser Regular Member • Posts: 403

Duane H wrote:

juvx wrote:

TL/DR. Lenses

Check this link out, I am also looking at the A7 and X-T1, this shows some dramatic differences between the two.

-- hide signature --

dhemi58

My eyes may be wonky (they are) but I prefer the Sony

Polariser's gear list:Polariser's gear list
Sony RX100 Olympus PEN E-P2 Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 +9 more
spencerda Senior Member • Posts: 1,279

Chad Hardy wrote:

I have the A7R and the X-T1. Really there are 2 reasons I almost always use the X-T1 aside from landscapes. Lens selection and controls.

Question why do you not use the XT-1 for landscapes?

I'm considering the XT-1 and would want to use it for both travel and landscape pictures.

Coming from a Canon 40D, so looking for a bit lighter and higher quality than my aging Canon and also a camera that might excite me.

Dave

-- hide signature --

take it slow

spencerda's gear list:spencerda's gear list
Canon PowerShot G10 Canon PowerShot S90 Sony RX100 II Canon EOS 40D Fujifilm X-T1 +5 more
alan brown Contributing Member • Posts: 560

Duane H wrote:

juvx wrote:

TL/DR. Lenses

-- hide signature --

dhemi58

I have also noticed on several sites that the Fuji strands examples seem softer than the competition.  Yet so many photographers sang the praises of the Fuji.  Apart from the always present fanboyism, I was confused.  Ultimately I bought the x100s because of it's other attributes but still a little concerned about IQ.  I need not have been concerned as the IQ is marvelous.

I informally tested it against my nex 7 with the sigma 30mm and found them to be very close to being equal with the x100s usually slightly better.

I don't understand why the xtrans cameras seem softer than their competition on sites like this one and IR when my real world experience is quite the opposite.

So, I would encourage anyone concerned about this apparent disparity to rent one before scratching it off the list.  The IQ is excellent and, for me at least, the printed images just have a special look that I love.

-- hide signature --

alan brown

RicksAstro
RicksAstro Veteran Member • Posts: 3,647

alan brown wrote:

Duane H wrote:

juvx wrote:

TL/DR. Lenses

-- hide signature --

dhemi58

I have also noticed on several sites that the Fuji strands examples seem softer than the competition. Yet so many photographers sang the praises of the Fuji. Apart from the always present fanboyism, I was confused. Ultimately I bought the x100s because of it's other attributes but still a little concerned about IQ. I need not have been concerned as the IQ is marvelous.

I informally tested it against my nex 7 with the sigma 30mm and found them to be very close to being equal with the x100s usually slightly better.

I don't understand why the xtrans cameras seem softer than their competition on sites like this one and IR when my real world experience is quite the opposite.

So, I would encourage anyone concerned about this apparent disparity to rent one before scratching it off the list. The IQ is excellent and, for me at least, the printed images just have a special look that I love.

-- hide signature --

alan brown

In that specific example, it compared raw using ACR, which is more an indictment of ACR than the xtrans sensor.

-- hide signature --
SaltLakeGuy

If I hadn't come across the MkII 'd still have the Fuji or sure. It is a great camera indeed.

-- hide signature --

Matz03 Regular Member • Posts: 186

juvx wrote:

TL/DR. Lenses

maybe we need to do a swap, I'm having a hard time bonding with my X-T1.  I'm looking to move to an A7.

Chad Hardy

spencerda wrote:

Chad Hardy wrote:

Question why do you not use the XT-1 for landscapes?

I'm considering the XT-1 and would want to use it for both travel and landscape pictures.

Coming from a Canon 40D, so looking for a bit lighter and higher quality than my aging Canon and also a camera that might excite me.

Dave

-- hide signature --

take it slow

I do use it for landscapes, don't get me wrong.  However the A7R is a 36MP non AA file that responds incredibly well to post.  I just get more detail out of it.  It isn't a ton and to be honest I have shots I like better from the X-T1.  However this is one of the few scenarios where I use the A7R.

Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R Sony RX100 III Olympus E-M1 +16 more
Chad Hardy

juvx wrote:

Yeah those are my main two reasons for considering this change. Also the autofocus. I wonder just how much better it is than an A7?

The A7R is much better than the A7 for detail IMO.  I rank them A7R, X-T1, A7 simply because the A7 has an AA filter.  I own or have owned all 3.  The A7 is a great all around camera and I really can't knock it.  If it is the only camera you own it would be a great one.  Now the lens selection on the FE....not so much.  In fact Sony outright sucks in this department.  I really left Sony as my main system for this reason.  Their lens lineup is garbage in my opinion.

Mike in Kansas
Mike in Kansas Contributing Member • Posts: 794

SaltLakeGuy wrote:

If I hadn't come across the MkII 'd still have the Fuji or sure. It is a great camera indeed.

-- hide signature --

So you got yet another new love, eh?  Are you telling everyone over on the Sony forum how it beats the pants off the X-T1 and 56mm?

Mike in Kansas's gear list:Mike in Kansas's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T20 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads