Kind of impressed with Rokinon 14mm

Started Jul 16, 2014 | Discussions
ppires85 Regular Member • Posts: 445
Kind of impressed with Rokinon 14mm

i know it is not enough yet, but I took some pictures with a Rokinon 14mm with my eos 6d. The pictures are available here and they are just 3 for tests. I can upload more for the album.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/122640384@N04/sets/72157645317571458/

Compared to what I had with the Tokina, this is much better. The lens seems to be much less prone to flare and the suns and stars are free of that cursed rainbow. Despite that, I still feel like buying the 16-35mm F4 L next year. But for now and just for fun, I feel like this one will certainly do. This one doesn't seem to have that much of decentering issues... none that I've realized until now.

ppires85's gear list:ppires85's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM Rokinon 14mm F2.8 IF ED MC
Keith Z Leonard Veteran Member • Posts: 6,062
Re: Kind of impressed with Rokinon 14mm

Glad that you are happy!  I've contemplated the Rokinon, no question, I look forward to seeing your night shots.

Keith Z Leonard's gear list:Keith Z Leonard's gear list
Canon EF 70-200mm F4L USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Canon EOS 400D +16 more
Dan_168 Veteran Member • Posts: 7,974

ppires85 wrote:

i know it is not enough yet, but I took some pictures with a Rokinon 14mm with my eos 6d. The pictures are available here and they are just 3 for tests. I can upload more for the album.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/122640384@N04/sets/72157645317571458/

Compared to what I had with the Tokina, this is much better. The lens seems to be much less prone to flare and the suns and stars are free of that cursed rainbow. Despite that, I still feel like buying the 16-35mm F4 L next year. But for now and just for fun, I feel like this one will certainly do. This one doesn't seem to have that much of decentering issues... none that I've realized until now.

Well, wait until you compare that to the $2300 Canon 14L you will impress even more. This Samyang is really really nice and can compete with all those big boys and wins in many areas, I have quite a few of those ultra wide angle lenses cost 4 or 5 times more  but I regularly going back to this inexpensive Samyang, especially if you do Astrophotography, you would appreciate how low ( or I should even say lack of) Coma Aberration this lens has when compare to those big boys. And the wide open performane of this lens is so much better than the 14L, i didn't belive what I saw and had to go back to exchange for another 14L just to make sure it was not the copy I rent that has problem, someone may tell you who use wide open for super wide landscape lens, well, I do, all the time, when I shoot stars and Milky way stuffs.

OP ppires85 Regular Member • Posts: 445

Hey, ye all !

Well, the Rokinon is indeed full mechanical. The mount for canon is all metal and has no connectors. So the best bet is to 1. know well how to estimate distance. 2. use live view as much as you can ifyou want to do portrait.

Keith, I surely will be doing nightshots with it. One of the reasons why I returned the tokina was that it couldn't be used by night with the crazy rainbows all over.

Dan, I think that's a challenging lens. The first impression when I was fiddling around with it was "argh I'm going to return it." But then I insisted. And that's the type of lens that teaches you. It forces you to think of distance and using other resources. I have a couple of poor images besides the three in the album before I took a better approach. I'm also looking after better ways to deal with focus specially in live view, because under intense sun it is almost impossible to see anything with the eos 6d.

Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM Rokinon 14mm F2.8 IF ED MC
Djaaf Regular Member • Posts: 152

Yes, the lens is quite remarkable. Especially considering its price (something like 280€ new in France).

For night shots, it's just the best lens i've ever used (and i've used a few, from the Tokina 11-16 to the tamron 17-50, Sigma 10-20, Voigtlander 20mm, etc..). It's sharp, almost no coma or astigmatism and all that wide open. Truly remarkable. (an example here :tiny northern lights on a 6D)

For the focusing issue, you can always glue a chip on the barrel of the lens. You can find some on ebay for something like 12€-20€ (look for dandelion chips). It doesn't make the lens autofocus, don't dream. But it'll allow the DSLR to confirm focus (and you can program your Exifs on the chip

The calibration of the focus confirm is a bit of a pain (well, if you have any experience with AFMA, it's pretty much the same process) and if you're as good as me with your hands (which is to say : totally incapable of driving a nail in a wall without hitting his thumb...:) the chip installation can take around half an hour. But after that, it's all good and it's reliable (even in the semi-darkness of the Nazaride palace : Inside the Nazaride palace).

Only thing to be watchful for is that the 6D isn't really at ease with focus confirm when you're at f/8 and above on the lens. That said, at f/8 your DOF is so wide that missing the shot is difficult.

Only issue i got with it was the aperture that stopped working after 2 weeks. Since the dealer's guarantee would have taken 5 weeks and i needed the lens 2 weeks after, I opened the lens. The aperture ring is connected to the iris by 2 slim cables and one of those was loose. I just put its end loop back where it belonged and the lens is working fine ever since (6 months and counting.

Djaaf.

Djaaf's gear list:Djaaf's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di VC USD Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Voigtlander 20mm F3.5 Color Skopar SL II +2 more

ppires85 wrote:

Dan, I think that's a challenging lens. The first impression when I was fiddling around with it was "argh I'm going to return it." But then I insisted. And that's the type of lens that teaches you. It forces you to think of distance and using other resources. I have a couple of poor images besides the three in the album before I took a better approach. I'm also looking after better ways to deal with focus specially in live view, because under intense sun it is almost impossible to see anything with the eos 6d.

Yes focusing can be a little bit challenging on manual focus lens, it will take some time to get used to, I haven't tried it on 6D specifically but shoot the Samyang 14 regularly on my 1DS3 and 1ds2 and d800e (with stock focusing screen), mostly on tripod and LV focus, that's how I normally shoot landscape anyway, and focusing is never an issue, well on the 1DS2 there is no LV so I am using VF, again, never have issue with focus, few things  I want to mention is the focus distance mark on the lens and focus confirmation green dot, both totally useless in my opinion,  it's never accurate on most lenses and camera bodies (except on Zeiss lens the hard Infinite stop is pretty accurate for far for me), you can try it by carefully move the focusing ring and you will see there is quite some play there before the green dot goes off, so I never rely on that green dot. if you really want to have some aids for focusing, any after market focusing screen is much more reliable and easier than the green dot. I have those screen on all camera that I can find, I don't have one on my current D800E but I actually don't find the urgent need for it and I mainly use Zeiss and Samyang primes on this camera and put on manual focus mode when I am actually using AF lenses, live view makes MF super easy, even as crappy as the D800E LV implementation I still found it really easy. I think the key is just need to spend some time to practice a little more, after a while, manual focus wil become really easy as long as you are not shooting fast moving target, I mean the DOF of the 14mm makes it very hard to get out of focus shots.

RobBobW Contributing Member • Posts: 766

It is one of my favorite lenses.  Focus in daylight is not an issue.  Set the lens to f11 or f16 and the focus ring to 10 ft and everything is in focus!  Great for night shots as well.  Very sharp lens and a great value.

Dinosaur Provincial Park, Alberta Canada

RobBobW's gear list:RobBobW's gear list
Samyang 14mm F2.8 IF ED MC Aspherical Samyang 24mm f/1.4 ED AS UMC
24Peter
24Peter Veteran Member • Posts: 3,158

Got one today. Very preliminary (less than 30 shots) but there seems to be some "drag" on the focus ring thing? That is, you have go/turn past the spot you will eventually settle on in terms of focus and then come/turn back to it? Could just be me, but it is definitely a sharp lens like everyone is saying even wide open.

Curious about maybe some architectural work with this lens:

(Not sure but I think this was F8? Either that or F2.8. 1/100th ISO 400)

Out of camera

Corrected. I started with the profile I downloaded to Photoshop/ACR using the Adobe Lens Profile downloader, but it wasn't enough. Definitely needed some additional tweaking to get the moustache bulge out of the center of the image. Also vignetting is pretty heavy, esp @ 2.8 on my 5DII. (This image also needed the perspective corrected but that could have been any lens. And yes, my ceiling is uneven )

gipper51 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,631

Got one today. Very preliminary (less than 30 shots) but there seems to be some "drag" on the focus ring thing? That is, you have go/turn past the spot you will eventually settle on in terms of focus and then come/turn back to it? Could just be me, but it is definitely a sharp lens like everyone is saying even wide open.

Curious about maybe some architectural work with this lens:

(Not sure but I think this was F8? Either that or F2.8. 1/100th ISO 400)

Out of camera

Corrected. I started with the profile I downloaded to Photoshop/ACR using the Adobe Lens Profile downloader, but it wasn't enough. Definitely needed some additional tweaking to get the moustache bulge out of the center of the image. Also vignetting is pretty heavy, esp @ 2.8 on my 5DII. (This image also needed the perspective corrected but that could have been any lens. And yes, my ceiling is uneven )

How did you remove the distortion? I'm interested in this lens also for architectural work, but have yet to find a usable profile. I tried the D700 profile from the Adobe database but it it's not even close...

If I can find a distortion solution I'll probably buy this lens. Thanks.
--
My sites:
http://www.gipperich-photography.com
http://www.pbase.com/gipper51/portraits

gipper51's gear list:gipper51's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Sony Alpha a7R Canon EOS 7D Mark II Sigma 12-24mm F4.5-5.6 II DG HSM Canon EF-S 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 IS STM +7 more
24Peter
24Peter Veteran Member • Posts: 3,158

gipper51 wrote:

How did you remove the distortion? I'm interested in this lens also for architectural work, but have yet to find a usable profile. I tried the D700 profile from the Adobe database but it it's not even close...

If I can find a distortion solution I'll probably buy this lens. Thanks.
--
My sites:
http://www.gipperich-photography.com
http://www.pbase.com/gipper51/portraits

Well like I said I downloaded and installed the Adobe Lens Profile downloader and then selected the only Samyang 14 profile I could find. It's not perfect but it is a good start. I'm guessing there is a way to save a custom profile that you can use. When I have more time I'll do a more controlled setup and see if I can create my own.

yodermk Senior Member • Posts: 1,275
lensfun

I do not (yet) have this lens, but I see it is in the open source "lensfun" database. That means some open source software like the Gimp should be able to correct for it.  Here is its profile:

<lens>
<maker>Samyang</maker>
<model>Samyang 14mm f/2.8 ED AS IF UMC</model>
<mount>Canon EF</mount>
<cropfactor>1.0</cropfactor>
<calibration>
<distortion model="ptlens" focal="14" a="0.04015" b="-0.07043" c="-0.05466" />
<tca model="poly3" focal="14" br="0.0000198" vr="0.9999690" bb="-0.0001334" vb="1.0003226" />
</calibration>
</lens>

Anyway, I'm intrigued by this lens and will likely buy it at some point. Maybe soon, maybe next year. I suppose it will be a nice ultra-ultrawide complement to the new 16-35, which I plan to buy early next year.

-- hide signature --

If it's a *Single* Lens Reflex, why do I need so many lenses?

yodermk's gear list:yodermk's gear list
Canon EOS 80D Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM Canon MP-E 65mm f/2.5 1-5x Macro +12 more

Dan_168 wrote:

ppires85 wrote:

Yes focusing can be a little bit challenging on manual focus lens, it will take some time to get used to, I haven't tried it on 6D specifically but shoot the Samyang 14 regularly on my 1DS3 and 1ds2 and d800e (with stock focusing screen), mostly on tripod and LV focus, that's how I normally shoot landscape anyway, and focusing is never an issue, well on the 1DS2 there is no LV so I am using VF, again, never have issue with focus, few things I want to mention is the focus distance mark on the lens and focus confirmation green dot, both totally useless in my opinion, it's never accurate on most lenses and camera bodies (except on Zeiss lens the hard Infinite stop is pretty accurate for far for me), you can try it by carefully move the focusing ring and you will see there is quite some play there before the green dot goes off, so I never rely on that green dot. if you really want to have some aids for focusing, any after market focusing screen is much more reliable and easier than the green dot. I have those screen on all camera that I can find, I don't have one on my current D800E but I actually don't find the urgent need for it and I mainly use Zeiss and Samyang primes on this camera and put on manual focus mode when I am actually using AF lenses, live view makes MF super easy, even as crappy as the D800E LV implementation I still found it really easy. I think the key is just need to spend some time to practice a little more, after a while, manual focus wil become really easy as long as you are not shooting fast moving target, I mean the DOF of the 14mm makes it very hard to get out of focus shots.

Yes, but I guess you are talking about the focus confirmation on nikon that has the chip right? It's still interesting to know that the chip is not accurate though.

Re: lensfun

yodermk wrote:

I do not (yet) have this lens, but I see it is in the open source "lensfun" database. That means some open source software like the Gimp should be able to correct for it. Here is its profile:

<lens>
<maker>Samyang</maker>
<mount>Canon EF</mount>
<calibration>
<tca model="poly3" focal="14" br="0.0000198" vr="0.9999690" bb="-0.0001334" vb="1.0003226" />
</calibration>
</lens>

Anyway, I'm intrigued by this lens and will likely buy it at some point. Maybe soon, maybe next year. I suppose it will be a nice ultra-ultrawide complement to the new 16-35, which I plan to buy early next year.

I see that lens much as a complement to the 16-35mm. They work on different focal lengths and serve to different purposes and circumstances. Using rokinon for perspective portrait might be tricky for example. BTW I saw some people talking about PTLenses for correction.

ppires85 wrote:

Dan_168 wrote:

ppires85 wrote:

Yes focusing can be a little bit challenging on manual focus lens, it will take some time to get used to, I haven't tried it on 6D specifically but shoot the Samyang 14 regularly on my 1DS3 and 1ds2 and d800e (with stock focusing screen), mostly on tripod and LV focus, that's how I normally shoot landscape anyway, and focusing is never an issue, well on the 1DS2 there is no LV so I am using VF, again, never have issue with focus, few things I want to mention is the focus distance mark on the lens and focus confirmation green dot, both totally useless in my opinion, it's never accurate on most lenses and camera bodies (except on Zeiss lens the hard Infinite stop is pretty accurate for far for me), you can try it by carefully move the focusing ring and you will see there is quite some play there before the green dot goes off, so I never rely on that green dot. if you really want to have some aids for focusing, any after market focusing screen is much more reliable and easier than the green dot. I have those screen on all camera that I can find, I don't have one on my current D800E but I actually don't find the urgent need for it and I mainly use Zeiss and Samyang primes on this camera and put on manual focus mode when I am actually using AF lenses, live view makes MF super easy, even as crappy as the D800E LV implementation I still found it really easy. I think the key is just need to spend some time to practice a little more, after a while, manual focus wil become really easy as long as you are not shooting fast moving target, I mean the DOF of the 14mm makes it very hard to get out of focus shots.

Yes, but I guess you are talking about the focus confirmation on nikon that has the chip right? It's still interesting to know that the chip is not accurate though.

I am talking about in general, yes i do have both Nikon and Canon mount, and I also tried using the Nikon mount 14mm Samyang on Canon with the lens adapter with focus confirmation chip, all pretty useless as far as green dot confirmation 's concern,  my personal experience on all manual focus lenses including the Zeiss ZE, ZF.ZF2 which are all so called 'CPU lenses" dedicate for Canon, or Nikon system, while the Zeiss is a little bit "closer" than say Samyang with the better hard stop but that Green Dot focus confirmation still pretty far from what I will call it "accurate", it's just the way I use the lens kind of "mask" the problem, I typically shoot at F8 tio F11 for my landscape stuffs so i don't normally have issue, but when I shoot aMilkyway and stars, if I simply rely on that green dot, every single shot would be out of focus because I am using F2.8 or even 1.4 (with the samyang 24 F1.4) aperture, and focus becomes super critical.

RobBobW Contributing Member • Posts: 766
Re: lensfun

ppires85 wrote:

yodermk wrote:

I do not (yet) have this lens, but I see it is in the open source "lensfun" database. That means some open source software like the Gimp should be able to correct for it. Here is its profile:

<lens>
<maker>Samyang</maker>
<mount>Canon EF</mount>
<calibration>
</calibration>
</lens>

I see that lens much as a complement to the 16-35mm. They work on different focal lengths and serve to different purposes and circumstances. Using rokinon for perspective portrait might be tricky for example. BTW I saw some people talking about PTLenses for correction.

Yes, PTLens works very well for correcting the distortions in this lens.  Very easy to use as well.

RobBobW's gear list:RobBobW's gear list
Samyang 14mm F2.8 IF ED MC Aspherical Samyang 24mm f/1.4 ED AS UMC
Aaaand a little bit concerned...

So I took a couple of pictures of flowers , which is more challenging and a weird blur showed up. I don't think it is DOF. Shouldn't be that much about focus. I don't discard the idea that I might be doing something wrong. I started taking my pictures this year more seriously so might be my flaw, not the lens'... I know one is a little bit underexposed, the first is f11 and the second is f16. Any tips on what might be happening?

fwampler Senior Member • Posts: 1,754
Re: Aaaand a little bit concerned...

I think that is a somewhat creative use of the lens. Take a picture of a face at the same distance and you will see what I mean. You can get some neat creative shots with the right subjects and perspectives. Can be a lot of fun. I think the lens is doing what it was designed to do. Have fun experimenting.

-- hide signature --

Fred

fwampler's gear list:fwampler's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS M3 Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM +15 more
Re: Aaaand a little bit concerned...

I think that is a somewhat creative use of the lens. Take a picture of a face at the same distance and you will see what I mean. You can get some neat creative shots with the right subjects and perspectives. Can be a lot of fun. I think the lens is doing what it was designed to do. Have fun experimenting.

Do you mean the blurry is bokeh even being at such high apertures ? Oh and thanks for the advice!

Peter Kwok
Peter Kwok Senior Member • Posts: 2,420
Great for indoor architecture shots

The Lightroom profile obtained from Adobe Lens Profile Downloader does a pretty good job in correcting the "bulb" shape distortion. It is good enough for non-critical architecture photos.

5-frame HDR 1.5 EVs apart

For more samples and a mini-review, please click here.

-- hide signature --

Peter Kwok
Click here for my PBase gallery
WYSIWYG - If you don't like what you get, try to see differently.

Peter Kwok's gear list:Peter Kwok's gear list
Canon EOS M Canon EOS 5DS Canon EF 70-200mm F4L IS USM Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM Canon EOS M6 +5 more
Re: Great for indoor architecture shots

BTW, do you feel like the light metering goes a little bit wild with this lens?

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads