Photography amateur

Started Jul 16, 2014 | Discussions
pxlmatt
pxlmatt New Member • Posts: 6
Photography amateur

Hello, im new to the site and I just started photography as well. Just wanted to share a few photos with the right people, feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Koala Shoot

https://www.flickr.com/photos/125371498@N04/

Leonard Migliore
Leonard Migliore Forum Pro • Posts: 16,339
Re: Photography amateur

The image looks pretty dark on my monitor; I would lighten it up. Also, the koala is right in the center of the picture. I would crop it some to get a more interesting composition.

The file you used is kind of small so I can't tell if the picture is sharp or not but  I would expect some blurring at the shutter speed you used (1/10 second).

-- hide signature --

Leonard Migliore

Leonard Migliore's gear list:Leonard Migliore's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Sony RX100 III Nikon D300 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +12 more
Jim Cassatt Veteran Member • Posts: 4,872

Not bad, however, one important "rule" of composition is that the subject has to stand out from the background.  In the picture as shown, the subject blends right in.

-- hide signature --
 Jim Cassatt's gear list:Jim Cassatt's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Sony RX100 VI Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS 300D Fujifilm X-E1 +18 more
pxlmatt
OP pxlmatt New Member • Posts: 6

Oh ok. I understand and I will definitely improve on whats being taken in the picture. I shouldnt even had used that koala pic as an example lol.

But i grabbed the picture before posting and resized it for the forum, full size images are on my flickr account i posted.

I rather use this post as an example lol. you guys pointed out the obvious that i didnt even see in the first place.

Flickr: PXLMatt

-- hide signature --

Flashing Lights

CreeDo Senior Member • Posts: 1,619

I like what I see on your flickr, loads of contrast and color. Good postprocessing mostly, maybe a little heavy on some. I like the koala even, it takes up so much of the frame that I don't think it's a big deal that it's not super separated from the background.

I do notice a few shots have just a hair of shutter shake. It's so small it almost isn't there. You maybe cut it close due to the lack of light. But if you have a minimum speed you like to use for handheld shots, I would suggest moving it up one or two clicks.

You seem like you're already working on branding. If you think you want to be a professional then that's a good thing. On the other hand if you see this as an enjoyable hobby, then the text on the photos is a lil distracting and I think they'd be better without.

CreeDo's gear list:CreeDo's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Canon EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro USM Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Rokinon 14mm F2.8 IF ED MC +4 more
pxlmatt
OP pxlmatt New Member • Posts: 6

CreeDo wrote:

I like what I see on your flickr, loads of contrast and color. Good postprocessing mostly, maybe a little heavy on some. I like the koala even, it takes up so much of the frame that I don't think it's a big deal that it's not super separated from the background.

I do notice a few shots have just a hair of shutter shake. It's so small it almost isn't there. You maybe cut it close due to the lack of light. But if you have a minimum speed you like to use for handheld shots, I would suggest moving it up one or two clicks.

You seem like you're already working on branding. If you think you want to be a professional then that's a good thing. On the other hand if you see this as an enjoyable hobby, then the text on the photos is a lil distracting and I think they'd be better without.

I really appreciate that strong advice bro. You definitely sound like you've been around the block with the camera lol. Do you have any type of instant message app by any chance? If its ok with you I'd like to have you as a guidance in a way lol just so I can show you pics and help me discuss whats needed for me to improve, i would really appreciate it!

-- hide signature --

Flashing Lights

CreeDo Senior Member • Posts: 1,619

Hey thanks! To be honest I'm an amateur at this, I've owned my camera exactly 2 months and it's my first DSLR. But I feel like I'm picking it up fast. If you want to bounce anything off me feel free, just keep in mind I'm no expert. Most of what I've learned has been from super helpful people on this forum.

I don't have AIM or anything but if you wanna talk photography I'm on facebook under Matthew Lala, you'll know it's me because the profile pic features me looking through a big lens.

CreeDo's gear list:CreeDo's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Canon EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro USM Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Rokinon 14mm F2.8 IF ED MC +4 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads