Zeiss Distagon 15 / 2.8 ZM on A7

Started Jul 15, 2014 | Questions
kasimodem
kasimodem Junior Member • Posts: 28
Zeiss Distagon 15 / 2.8 ZM on A7

Hello,

I'm looking for a wide angle to complete my lenses and I wonder if someone had already tried the so expensive Zeiss Distagon 15 / 2.8 ZM on an A7/ R / S model in full frame mode. Because of it's price, you have to think twice before buying such thing, so any advice, samples, personal experience would be appreciated, thanks

ANSWER:
Carl Zeiss Distagon T* 2,8/15 ZM Sony a7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
verybiglebowski
verybiglebowski Veteran Member • Posts: 4,455
Re: Zeiss Distagon 15 / 2.8 ZM on A7

kasimodem wrote:

Hello,

I'm looking for a wide angle to complete my lenses and I wonder if someone had already tried the so expensive Zeiss Distagon 15 / 2.8 ZM on an A7/ R / S model in full frame mode. Because of it's price, you have to think twice before buying such thing, so any advice, samples, personal experience would be appreciated, thanks

I don't know if you have seen this great comparison - http://3d-kraft.com/index.php%3Foption%3Dcom_content%26view%3Darticle%26id%3D127:uwa-comparison%26catid%3D40:camerasandlenses%26Itemid%3D2

Test was performed on Nikon D800E (and NEX7) that have similar sensor like A7r, but in my experience somewhat better corner performance. It is good indication of lens performance (Zeiss 15/2.8) though.

-- hide signature --

Don't trust your eyes or mind, they might betray you! Trust only comments posted on the forums, because there is the absolute truth!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/viktor_viktor/
http://verybiglobo.blogspot.com/

verybiglebowski's gear list:verybiglebowski's gear list
Sony a7R Sony a7R II Sony a7R III Sony a7R IV Zeiss Otus 55mm F1.4 +3 more
Tuloom
Tuloom Veteran Member • Posts: 4,141

He's referring to the ZM. I can't imagine it working well enough to buy specifically for the camera. Some early tests I recall of the ZM18 were not all that good, at least not good for landscape at distances and wide open performance. But I cannot recall seeing any samples from the ZM15. Would be interesting to see.

Edit: Now I know why there aren't many samples. I thought the price was similar to the other ZM's. Not so much. It's $4600.

verybiglebowski
verybiglebowski Veteran Member • Posts: 4,455
Sorry, I haven't seen "ZM"

Tuloom wrote:

He's referring to the ZM. I can't imagine it working well enough to buy specifically for the camera. Some early tests I recall of the ZM18 were not all that good, at least not good for landscape at distances and wide open performance. But I cannot recall seeing any samples from the ZM15. Would be interesting to see.

Edit: Now I know why there aren't many samples. I thought the price was similar to the other ZM's. Not so much. It's $4600.

Looks nice and pricey

-- hide signature --

Don't trust your eyes or mind, they might betray you! Trust only comments posted on the forums, because there is the absolute truth!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/viktor_viktor/
http://verybiglobo.blogspot.com/

verybiglebowski's gear list:verybiglebowski's gear list
Sony a7R Sony a7R II Sony a7R III Sony a7R IV Zeiss Otus 55mm F1.4 +3 more
kasimodem
OP kasimodem Junior Member • Posts: 28

In some few sample images I could see, it seems excellent in ZM, ZF or ZE version, so it looks like a top lens to have. More important, it's quality seems to make it good on the so difficult A7R camera.

The ZF and ZE versions are bigger and heavier than the ZM which better fit on the A7 serie, but quality and spécifications remain the same I think, except the Leica ZM version is quite more expensive.

Hope someone will have informations to share with us on this lens 

Tuloom
Tuloom Veteran Member • Posts: 4,141
!

kasimodem wrote:

In some few sample images I could see, it seems excellent in ZM, ZF or ZE version, so it looks like a top lens to have. More important, it's quality seems to make it good on the so difficult A7R camera.

The ZF and ZE versions are bigger and heavier than the ZM which better fit on the A7 serie, but quality and spécifications remain the same I think, except the Leica ZM version is quite more expensive.

Hope someone will have informations to share with us on this lens

I'd like to see too.

The ZM and ZF/E are different designs and have different mtf's. The chart for the former looks silly good, and the ZM15 is one of the few still made in Germany rather than Cosina or wherever else they're made (nothing against Cosina, of course).

Someone has got have a few lying around they can pop on their A7/R.

hiepphotog Regular Member • Posts: 304
Zeiss ZM 15/2.8 on A7R

I found this guy (Alex Woo) on Flickr with an extensive collection of M lenses (including the ZM 15). Here is his opinion on the ZM 15 performance:

"Hi Amarate, I don't know how well this lens (ZM15) will perform on a7, since it is a7R I'm using, and I believe there's something different in between the two models other than just resolution.

However, if you're asking for how well this ZM15 will perform on - comparing a7R and the Leica Ms (M240 and M9P) regarding the picture quality, here are my thoughts in general:

- when shooting JPG: a7R wins, followed by M240, then M9P
- when shooting RAW: M9P marginal wins, a7R and M240 draw

To me, this ZM15 is one great lens with excellent optical performance, and performs very well on all the three bodies I mentioned above (great on M8.2 too but that is history), very satisfactory. If 15mm or ultra-wide on M is what you're looking for, you won't regret to own this lens regardless of which body you're planning/going to put it on (I'm quite certain there will be a8R, a9R... and M360, M720... coming on its way). Of all the M lenses I currently own, this ZM15 is always my second favorite - my first is 11874.

Hope this help."

https://www.flickr.com/photos/littlepillow/10967568165/in/set-72157637738173684

I have the CV 15, but I am saving up to get this lens. The corners sharpnesss of this lens on the A7R is much much better than what I could get with my CV.

This lens is, unfortunately, not as good as the ZE/ZF version across the frame (much more distortion, much higher vignette, higher TCA and astigmatism). But I know I would enjoy it more due to the much smaller size and weight. If 15 is the focal length that one wants to shoot often, I don't think Zeiss would be able to come out with a better option any time soon, especially this coming Photokina.

hiepphotog's gear list:hiepphotog's gear list
Sony a7S Sony a7R II Sony a9 Canon EOS R Leica Summicron-M 28mm f/2 ASPH +12 more
kasimodem
OP kasimodem Junior Member • Posts: 28

Hello again,

So after a few months of use of this lens I have to say I'm quite happy with it.

This Zeiss Distagon 2.8/15 ZM mounted on my A7 with the Voigtlander VM-E Close Focus Adapter is really good in any aperture and light conditions. All I can say is that if you want a very good UWA don't hesitate if you have the budget.

I have few post-treatment to apply on it in Lightroom, but I heard there was a little more post work combined with the A7R, but not so awful.

I posted some samples on Flickr. If you have questions or want specific samples I can help

selected answer This post was selected as the answer by the original poster.
Robin Kalfat New Member • Posts: 13

I'm contemplating using the ZEISS Distagon 15mm f/2.8 ZF.2 (nikon F-mount) on the Sony A7Rii/A7Riii. I heard there were some compatibility issues to do with smearing in the corners and distortion? Does anyone have any experience using this combination or foresee any issues?

hiepphotog Regular Member • Posts: 304

Robin Kalfat wrote:

I'm contemplating using the ZEISS Distagon 15mm f/2.8 ZF.2 (nikon F-mount) on the Sony A7Rii/A7Riii. I heard there were some compatibility issues to do with smearing in the corners and distortion? Does anyone have any experience using this combination or foresee any issues?

Get the Laowa 15/2. It's superior than the ZF 15 in term of resolution. Smearing should not occur with the ZF if you get a good adapter, which gives you infinity at infinity hard stop. This is critical since the ZF has floating element that the performance will degrade visibly if the flange distance is off. You won't see any additional distortion or color cast.

hiepphotog's gear list:hiepphotog's gear list
Sony a7S Sony a7R II Sony a9 Canon EOS R Leica Summicron-M 28mm f/2 ASPH +12 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads