OM-D E-M1 pushing the upper limit of battery life: 4000+ shots on 1 battery

Started Jul 13, 2014 | Discussions
coroander Regular Member • Posts: 237
OM-D E-M1 pushing the upper limit of battery life: 4000+ shots on 1 battery

I've owned both an E-M5 and the E-M1 for some time, and so i was a bit concerned to shoot an indoor sporting event with the OM-1, given that I only had two batteries.

However, much to my surprise, I made 4270 exposures before i changed the battery. During this time, i reviewed probably about 1/2 the exposures on the back LCD and deleted about 500 photos. Elapsed time was about 3.5 hours.

I changed the battery before it completely ran out of power.

I was using the E-M1 with the 50-200mm f/2.8-3.5 lens, shooting in C-AF with the EVF on high frame rate, the release lag-time on short, IS enabled, review off, shooing RAW with a genuine Olympus battery.

I was more than a bit surprised, but on the previous day i had shot over 3000 but changed the battery when i changed the card and it was still going strong, so on the second day i left the battery in after changing cards.

Certainly supports the notion that battery life is more dependent on on-time than the number of exposures.

Olympus E-M1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ron_9
ron_9 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,710
Re: OM-D E-M1 pushing the upper limit of battery life: 4000+ shots on 1 battery

Hmmmm, "don't believe it"  ---ron s.

-- hide signature --

Keeping it sane in an insane world is an inconvenience at an inconvenient time!!
www.pbase.com/ron9ron

M Hamilton Contributing Member • Posts: 691

I'm sorry man, I want to believe you I really do, but if the EM1 could manage that they would have marketed THE CRAP out of that battery life.

EDIT: That being said, I have taken CONSIDERABLY more photos than normal on my GX7 in electronic shutter, reduced resolution, ultra fast mode. You said that you were capturing RAW?

M Hamilton's gear list:M Hamilton's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-TX5 Ricoh GR Digital IV Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS +4 more
drusus Contributing Member • Posts: 745

Certainly supports the notion that battery life is more dependent on on-time than the number of exposures.

Your claim, if accurate, would definitely support this statement. I do think it's plausible that the time when the LCD is on is what drains the battery much more than shutter actuations. But this would mean that you shot 4000+ shots in the time that it takes the average shooter to shoot 350 or so shots. You must have been taking one shot after another. How much time was your camera on?

Drusus

drusus's gear list:drusus's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +1 more
wansai Regular Member • Posts: 378

it's conceivable it may be due to on-time but i dont get anywhere near 4000 shots. the best i can manage is about 700-1000+ shots, just using the evf. i have auto review off and really dont use the lcd much.

i also switch off the camera betwren shots so it is never really on unless i am taking shots.

M Hamilton Contributing Member • Posts: 691

wansai wrote:

it's conceivable it may be due to on-time but i dont get anywhere near 4000 shots. the best i can manage is about 700-1000+ shots, just using the evf. i have auto review off and really dont use the lcd much.

i also switch off the camera betwren shots so it is never really on unless i am taking shots.

This has been my experience as well, far short of the claimed 4000.

M Hamilton's gear list:M Hamilton's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-TX5 Ricoh GR Digital IV Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS +4 more
Klarno
Klarno Veteran Member • Posts: 4,148

CIPA standards for battery life are quite specific in what they cover, trying to approach how a consumer would use a camera. The biggest power drain is the LCD and the live view feed: It's generally agreed that you can get about 3-4 hours of continuous usage out of a battery on mirrorless cameras in general.

-- hide signature --
 Klarno's gear list:Klarno's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PM2 A3000 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-54mm 1:2.8-3.5 II Olympus Zuiko Digital 11-22mm 1:2.8-3.5 +3 more
OP coroander Regular Member • Posts: 237

Camera was on about 95% of the time. The main issue was that i was also going to be quite short on memory, so i was stuck trying to create space by deleting obvious rubbish during the event. I should add that i was using SanDisk Extreme Pro 95mb/s cards. The first was a 64gb, the second a 32gb card. And i did run out of space, so the last 300 photos were taken on an old, slow, 8GB card. I changed batteries about 500 frames into the second (extreme pro) card.

My prior experience was the same, although i'm sure i never got more than 800 on a battery. Turns out if you shoot alot in burst mode (i had C-AF turned on between shots), that you can take massive numbers of exposures. I'm certain i could have broke 5000 on a single battery had i not spent so much time trying to delete photos.

Yes, i only shot RAW.

It's quite easy to test this yourself.

Use the settings below.

Place camera in Manual, only use the EVF. Shoot at 1/320 of a second. Shoot with the aperture of your lens wide open. Use the single centre autofocus point only. Use a monopod. Use burst mode a lot. Complete your 4000+ exposures in 3.5 hours or less. Shoot a single moving subject (i.e. focus can change from frame to frame, but not jump all over if you were shooting different subjects at different distances.)

Use the Olympus battery that came with your camera. Use SanDisk Extreme Pro 95mb/s cards.

Reset your OM-D E-M1, selecting "Full".

In Shooting Menu 1:

Set [<>] -> Still Picture -> RAW

In Shooting Menu 2:

Set Drive to L

Set Still-IS to S-I.S. 3 (if you are holding the camera in portrait mode, otherwise use S-I.S. 2).

In Custom Menu:

In A. AF/MF

Set AF Mode to C-AF

Set Reset Lens Off

Set MF Assist -> Magnify to Off and Peaking to Off

Set Home to centre single point

Set AF Illuminat. to Off

Set Face Priority to Off

Set Rls Priority C to On

Set L fps to 6fps

Set Release Lag-Time to Short

In D Disp/.../PC

Set Control Settings -> P/A/S/M to Live SCP only

Set Live View Boost to Off

Set Frame Rate to High

Set Flicker reduction Off

Set sound to Off

In E. Exp/../ISO

Set ISO 3200

in G. <>/Color/WB

Set WB to CWB (whatever temperature you like)

Set Color Space to Adobe RGB

In H. Record/Erase

Set Quick Erase to On

In J. Built-In EVF

Set EVF Auto Switch to Off

In Setup Menu:

Set Rec View to Off

Set Wi-Fi Settings -> Wi-Fi Connect Settings to Off.

luisflorit
luisflorit Veteran Member • Posts: 8,148
Cheat: Each burst counts aprox as a single exposure

coroander wrote:

I've owned both an E-M5 and the E-M1 for some time, and so i was a bit concerned to shoot an indoor sporting event with the OM-1, given that I only had two batteries.

However, much to my surprise, I made 4270 exposures before i changed the battery. During this time, i reviewed probably about 1/2 the exposures on the back LCD and deleted about 500 photos. Elapsed time was about 3.5 hours.

I changed the battery before it completely ran out of power.

I was using the E-M1 with the 50-200mm f/2.8-3.5 lens, shooting in C-AF with the EVF on high frame rate, the release lag-time on short, IS enabled, review off, shooing RAW with a genuine Olympus battery.

I was more than a bit surprised, but on the previous day i had shot over 3000 but changed the battery when i changed the card and it was still going strong, so on the second day i left the battery in after changing cards.

You shoot 1 picture each 3 seconds for 3.5 hours? And reviewing half of them with review off??? And even having time to delete some?????

Wow... that's an amazing achievement. Forget about the battery life.

Unless, of course, you shoot in drive mode (bursts). In that case, not sure how amazing either achievement is... Expect much longer battery life with bursts per picture (or, equivalently, consider each burst as a single exposure or a bit more).

Me, I never shoot bursts, and I only get 150 pictures with a single charge. But my batteries last more or less like your 3.5 hours.

L.

-- hide signature --
 luisflorit's gear list:luisflorit's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Olympus M.Zuiko 300mm F4 IS Pro Venus Laowa 7.5mm F2 MFT Olympus E-M1 +3 more
Re: Cheat: Each burst counts aprox as a single exposure

Yes, lots of bursts. Actually almost always bursts and not single shots. Sometimes bursts for 15+ seconds, maybe longer i'm not sure -- enough to fill up the buffer anyway with a 95mb/s card (which is a massively larger buffer than with a slow card.)

The two biggest problems of the E-M1 for indoor sports photography?

1) On Canon cameras, the single focus point is invariably shown in bright red while taking exposures -- since you have to keep that point on the moving target it's important. On the E-M1, unless i pulled my finger off the shutter the focus point wasn't shown during any continuous burst, or so seldom that it was effectively never shown. It wasn't until after the event i realised i should have searched for a better grid that would allow me to easier see the exact centre point when my attention was completely on the subject. Easy to see if there's a green square, not at all easy to see if it's just those really thin lines around the focus point.

2) The high frame rate is nice, but as soon as you half depress the shutter in C-AF, the frame rate drops to stupidly slow. A similar problem occurs during burst shooting. This isn't as annoying as 1, but it's not great and at times the subject slipped partly out of the frame because the delay makes it difficult to perfectly track a moving target. It's not terrible, but it's not quite as good as an OVF. No problems tracking with my finger off the shutter, in which case the EVF operates just as good as an OVF, it just doesn't keep to this performance at all times.

jackkurtz Veteran Member • Posts: 4,533

That's remarkable. I'm lucky to get 300 photos out of a battery, though I too see the 3.5 hour limit.

jackkurtz's gear list:jackkurtz's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P5 Olympus E-M5 II Olympus E-M1 II Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 +7 more
Re: Cheat: Each burst counts aprox as a single exposure

I've posted my settings elsewhere in this thread. A few notes;

1) i was using L (low speed) burst mode. I wanted the camera to focus between shots in burst.

2) The shutter still has to activate for exposures in burst mode, it's not like it switches to fully electronic shutter.

Promit Senior Member • Posts: 2,009

I ran an A77 out to 3500 ish exposures with a single charge, in about five hours. Basically running bursts constantly during a sporting event. It's impressive that the E-M1 held up, as my experience has been that the Olympus cams don't do all that well battery wise compared to Panasonic or Sony. But prolonged continuous bursting doesn't consume that much battery.

Promit's gear list:Promit's gear list
Sony a77 II Sony Alpha a7R II Sony a99 II Sony 24-70mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX +7 more
Brian Wadie
Brian Wadie Veteran Member • Posts: 8,957

I see no reason to disbelieve this figure looking at the settings you use.

For me its more typically in the 1000 - 1500+ range for my settings / style of short burst sequential shooting

-- hide signature --

So much to learn, so little time left to do it!

Brian Wadie's gear list:Brian Wadie's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Olympus 40-150mm F2.8 Pro Panasonic Leica 100-400mm F4.0-6.3 ASPH Olympus 12-100mm F4.0 +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads