Sony A7 w Minolta MD Rokkor 50mm 1.4

Started Jul 13, 2014 | Discussions
captura Forum Pro • Posts: 25,244
Re: Sony A7 w Minolta MD Rokkor 50mm 1.4
 captura's gear list:captura's gear list
Sony Alpha a7 Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 STM
123Mike Veteran Member • Posts: 4,643

Those are nice shots, the kind I take as well. This shows what flash-less is all about. It's totally worth pursuing the really bright lenses, allowing you to achieve decent quality in bare natural lighting. A flash totally destroys that natural setting.

Jokica
Jokica Senior Member • Posts: 1,383

Dkaplan74 wrote:

Has anyone used this combo and what are your conclusions.

I have used it on NEX-5N, great lens!

I am finding I am getting sharp images in good light (outdoor daylight), but indoors under lower light it is hard to get a sharp picture without pumping the ISO which can get a bit noisy.

Sorry for my answer, but this is normal for every lens. By raising the ISO you will avoid blur images, but also, you will get some noise.

Is the problem that the lens just isn't that sharp?

The lens is very sharp, unless you got bad copy.

I love manual focusing.

Me too

Would I have better results w a Voigtlander or Zeiss M mount? Thanks!!

Dunno!

MD Rokkor 1.4/50 (55) @2.0

-- hide signature --

www.TaraMountain.com
www.PlaninaTara.rs

Jokica's gear list:Jokica's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony a77 II Sony a7 III Samyang 85mm F1.4 Aspherical IF Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM +4 more
Jefenator
Jefenator Senior Member • Posts: 2,830

captura wrote:

Congrats! I've been saying the same about my MD 50 /2.0 for years. It is sharp right from f2, wide open. Very compact, well-made with modern coatings; it has good flare protection, warm colors and nice bokeh.

I have you in part to thank for turning me on to that lens. (I almost decided not to bother, after trying out so many other budget 50mm's and seeing the same thing - marginally usable wide open - time after time after time.)

Jefenator's gear list:Jefenator's gear list
Sony Alpha a7 Canon EF-M 11-22mm f/4-5.6 IS STM Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 90mm F2.8 macro Sony Alpha NEX-7 +8 more
sunnylee New Member • Posts: 7

narenek wrote:

I'm guessing you had the lens wide open the lower light shots. most lenses with this high an F stop tend to be a little soft wide open and this one is no exception. So unless you spend big bucks it's not so much a characteristic of that lens but that particular type of lens.

Of the minolta 50mm lenses probably the f2 is the best for sharpness wide open.

why don't you use flash...I always use flash to get beautiful image indoor or even out door.

sunnylee's gear list:sunnylee's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-F3 A3000 Sony Alpha a7R Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS +3 more
captura Forum Pro • Posts: 25,244

Jefenator wrote:

captura wrote:

Congrats! I've been saying the same about my MD 50 /2.0 for years. It is sharp right from f2, wide open. Very compact, well-made with modern coatings; it has good flare protection, warm colors and nice bokeh.

I have you in part to thank for turning me on to that lens. (I almost decided not to bother, after trying out so many other budget 50mm's and seeing the same thing - marginally usable wide open - time after time after time.)

I'm glad it worked for you.

captura's gear list:captura's gear list
Sony Alpha a7 Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 STM
Jokica
Jokica Senior Member • Posts: 1,383
This may help...

Dkaplan74 wrote:

Has anyone used this combo and what are your conclusions. I am finding I am getting sharp images in good light (outdoor daylight), but indoors under lower light it is hard to get a sharp picture without pumping the ISO which can get a bit noisy. Is the problem that the lens just isn't that sharp? I love manual focusing. Would I have better results w a Voigtlander or Zeiss M mount? Thanks!!

I have just find out that DxO is investigating this phenomenon , witch can help you find the answer. Some useful stuff here and here .

-- hide signature --

www.TaraMountain.com
www.PlaninaTara.rs

Jokica's gear list:Jokica's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony a77 II Sony a7 III Samyang 85mm F1.4 Aspherical IF Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM +4 more
vratnik Junior Member • Posts: 26
Re: This may help...

As a former Fuji user, i was not too impressed by Sony A7II image output. Images were not that sharp (despite higher res) on Sony as they were on Fuji. After getting the Minolta MD Rokkor 50mm f/1.4, i found out that the problem was Sony's 28-70 sh!t kit lens. Upon having stopped the rokkor's aperture to 4-5, the image quality is absolutely INSANE, ultra-sharp across entire frame, no optical issues, no fringing, glowing, CA, nothing. A bit of distortion, but DON'T FIX THAT IN POSTPROCESS or you lose some sharpness. Never fix distortion unless it's really necessary. When shooting with fully open 1.4 aperture, images are a bit soft, but not defocused: they are kind of foggy, like applying a "soft focus" effect in those mobile apps for selfies. The colors are noticably warmer and more saturated on this aperture, but I like this look, it's very appealing, beautiful. Bright parts are a little "glowing", like a "glamour glow" filter. Absolutely gorgeous lens for portraits or where critical sharpness is needed. I remember the same sharpness from Canon 50mm 1.8 @f4.5-8 (used on 5dII) or Fuji 35 1.4 @f4-8.

To sum up: I am never again using Sony lenses, their quality is a total crap. Selling immediately.

vratnik's gear list:vratnik's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Sony Alpha a7R II Fujifilm XC 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 OIS Sony FE 28mm F2 Sony FE 50mm F1.8 +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads