Quattro high-ISO shots - better to down-size or shoot in low res mode?

Started Jul 8, 2014 | Discussions
Scottelly
Scottelly Forum Pro • Posts: 14,914
Quattro high-ISO shots - better to down-size or shoot in low res mode?

Has anyone tried to shoot two identical shots at ISO 1600 or above with a Quattro in both normal raw and low-res modes? How about using SUPER-HIGH mode and THEN resizing down to a lower resolution, like 10 MP? What looks best?

Scottelly's gear list:Scottelly's gear list
Sony SLT-A65 Sigma SD1 Merrill Nikon D810 Sigma sd Quattro H Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM +23 more
Scottelly
OP Scottelly Forum Pro • Posts: 14,914
Re: Quattro high-ISO shots - better to down-size or shoot in low res mode?

Sorry. I meant to ask if anyone has shot two shots of the same scene and down-sized a normal raw to lower resolution JPG or TIFF after shooting it in both normal raw and low res mode . . . so the final images match in the number of pixels (width and height), just to see if the noise levels are better from the low-res image or the resized image.

I'd like to see the results of such a test (at full resolution and with raw files to play with, of course).

Sony SLT-A65 Sigma SD1 Merrill Nikon D810 Sigma sd Quattro H Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM +23 more
(unknown member) Senior Member • Posts: 1,857

Scottelly wrote:

How about using SUPER-HIGH mode and THEN resizing down to a lower resolution, like 10 MP? What looks best?

It doesn't make sense to upscale to super-high first and then downscale again. The super-high mode of quattro is nothing special. A "pro" tool like photozoom pro will always be better.

But using the normal 19.6MP file and then downscale might be the best way.

Scottelly

Can I delete this and start again?!? What I want to know is if the noise levels of images shot at high ISO levels, such as ISO 1600 and ISO 3200, make the images look better when shooting in normal raw and then downsizing or by shooting using the low res mode. I'd also like to see a down-sized SUPER-HIGH jpeg image too, just to see what the noise level would be from that image, compared to the other two.

Scottelly

maceoQ wrote:

Scottelly wrote:

How about using SUPER-HIGH mode and THEN resizing down to a lower resolution, like 10 MP? What looks best?

It doesn't make sense to upscale to super-high first and then downscale again. The super-high mode of quattro is nothing special. A "pro" tool like photozoom pro will always be better.

But using the normal 19.6MP file and then downscale might be the best way.

Thanks for your input. I'm still curious to see the results of such a process. I wonder what would happen to the noise of a high-ISO image, when downsizing from a 39 MP SUPER-HIGH mode jpeg to a 4.9 MP jpeg.

adegroot Veteran Member • Posts: 3,057

My Q should arrive tomorrow and I'm interested in doing such a test, as I am curious as well, as the SD1 gave me good low res results at 800-ISO, but I like to push the Q even to 3200, as you suggest.

Funny, as normally I never shoot above 200 ISO.

-- hide signature --

https://www.flickr.com/photos/88681310@N05/8092251359/
Shot with homemade 617 camera and 110mm Rodenstock lens

adegroot's gear list:adegroot's gear list
Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma DP2 Merrill Sigma DP3 Merrill Sigma dp0 Quattro Sigma SD15 +13 more
Johan Borg Senior Member • Posts: 2,981

There is very little difference between the low res / hi res / s-hi modes with regards to noise. I prefer the regular hi res version which has the most pleasing grain to me. At least for in-camera JPEGs, it feels a bit like s-hi is upsampled after noise reduction, so you don't gain anything.

Here are two ISO 1600 with basically everything default in SPP besides setting both chroma and luminance NR to 0, one low res the other regular/hi res:

Low-res ISO 1600

Hi-res ISO 1600

If anything, there is a hint of banding in the low res version and this repeated itself for ISO 3200. This might just be a coincidence, but I'll stick to full resolution for any ISO.

JPEGs are pretty good up to ISO 1250, after that you definitely want to shoot RAW. Here's a 1250 directly from the camera:

ISO 1250 OOC JPEG Quattro

...and the corresponding OOC JPEG from DP2 Merrill:

ISO 1250 OOC JPEG Merrill

Scottelly

I would have to say I agree with you. I prefer the way the larger images look, scaled down to fit my screen (by my computer). When I view them at 100% the grain doesn't appear to be any worse in the larger images, but there seems to be more detail in them. I noticed the raw shot at 1250 ISO (the last photo you posted) appears to be very blurred. I'm guessing this is a result of noise reduction. I actually like the way the JPEG looks. It seems to be more saturated and at a slightly different white balance setting.

Scottelly wrote:

I would have to say I agree with you. I prefer the way the larger images look, scaled down to fit my screen (by my computer). When I view them at 100% the grain doesn't appear to be any worse in the larger images, but there seems to be more detail in them. I noticed the raw shot at 1250 ISO (the last photo you posted) appears to be very blurred. I'm guessing this is a result of noise reduction. I actually like the way the JPEG looks. It seems to be more saturated and at a slightly different white balance setting.

To be clear: The very last shot isn't RAW, it's an out-of-camera JPEG from the DP2 Merrill. And yes, it is more blurred by noise reduction than out-of-camera JPEG from the DP2 Quattro. In fact, every JPEG from Merrill is more blurred than a JPEG from Quattro, the new JPEG engine is a huge improvement. The white balance of the Quattro is also usually better than in Merrill, but in this instance it overcompensated a bit, reality is somewhere in-between.

Aku Ankka
Aku Ankka Contributing Member • Posts: 591
The best way

Always shoot RAW in the native resolution (is it 19MP now?), then do noise reduction in a 3rd part software, like neat image. And then reducde the size to what ever you want the output size to be. After than slight sharpening is usually beneficial.

-- hide signature --

Quack!

Re: The best way

Aku Ankka wrote:

Always shoot RAW in the native resolution (is it 19MP now?)

With the Quattro one might argue that there are two native resolutions, one with 4:1:1 and one with 1:1:1 color layers, so I think it was worth testing even if I agree on the result.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads