This is the camera I really want

Started Jul 8, 2014 | Discussions
DANdeMAN
DANdeMAN Senior Member • Posts: 1,001
Re: I want the opposite camera as yours

Craig wrote:

I can't believe how so many people here are so nit picky where you can't express an opinion without be personally bashed

free thinkers..

It's very simple, when you call people stupid because they don't think like you, you get what you get.

Craig wrote:

Why, because they cater to the stupidity of the consumers and its all about selling cameras so MORE MP.s is always better right?

Free thinker, really?

For those who don't know yet, a 36MP image is easier to fix/manipulate/work with than a lower MP one.

Print size is not everything...

-- hide signature --

D800E "The Monster" (07-2012)

DANdeMAN's gear list:DANdeMAN's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Samyang 14mm F2.8 IF ED MC Aspherical +10 more
brianric Veteran Member • Posts: 8,321
Re: This is the camera I really want

Craig wrote:

I know, I know its been said in many different ways but I am going to say it.

I am short for words so the rest can fill in the blanks.

I love my D3s but it weighs a ton with my nikor zoom lenses so I don't want another brick, like the D4 or D4s which is getting out of the ball park for expense even thought I could right it off.

So to me just give me the D4, or I would really like the D4s sensor in the 810 body.

Perfect upgrade from my 12MP plus a low noise sensor. But NO.......You need 36MP.s and you will like it.

16MP files are plenty big enough for anyones needs. So pros need less MP.s but amours need 3 times as many.. duh.

Why do they push this idea that more MP.s is what amateur photographers need?????

Its ludicrous to give 36 MP.s for people who may NEVER print larger than 11x14 maybe 16x20 on occassion since very few people ever print anymore. The majority of peoples pictures end up low rez FB size to share online. How many labs are hurting and going our of business today?

I left KM/Sony because of this very reason. They pushed high MP count cameras rather than working on the low noise ones. I bought the 12MP 700 and over 800 iso it stunk.

Why, because they cater to the stupidity of the consumers and its all about selling cameras so MORE MP.s is always better right?

I will probably end up getting the d810 since it should work fine but its not what I want.

I like the extra MPs for cropping capability. I shoot charity events, and there are time I'm optically limited or in order to grab a shot don't have time to zoom in. At a recent Relay for life I was able to grab a shot of eight teams racing in cardboard box cars about 75 feet across on a field, and get anywhere from two or four pictures out of one shot to enable close up of the participants.

brianric's gear list:brianric's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Sony RX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Nikon D810 Nikon D500 +32 more
axcentphoto
axcentphoto Senior Member • Posts: 1,392

If the D810 is not what you want...don't buy it! My standard print size is 24x36 and have on occasion printed up to 40x60! Per customer request...Brent

axcentphoto's gear list:axcentphoto's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8G IF-ED VR +2 more
bm bradley Veteran Member • Posts: 3,992

Craig wrote:

16MP files are plenty big enough for anyones needs. So pros need less MP.s but amours need 3 times as many.. duh.

Hi Craig, I'll decide how many MP I need... thanks!

-- hide signature --

'when I ask you what time it is, don't tell me how to build a watch'

bm bradley's gear list:bm bradley's gear list
Nikon D3X Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.4D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 200mm f/2G ED-IF VR +1 more
Jeff2013
Jeff2013 Senior Member • Posts: 2,656

If you ever shoot BIF or nature shots, whatever lens you use will likely never be long enough.  Having 36mp to allow for significant cropping can really make a difference in terms of increasing the number of usable, great shots.

Down-converting 36mp files to usable sizes for print or viewing on the monitor shrinks blur and yields effectively sharper images.  Roger Cicala, of Lens Rentals, has published a number of technical lens tests that conclusively prove this.  I can shoot the lowly Nikon 28-300mm on my D800E, and by the time I down-convert to a usable print size, I end up with images that look like I shot them with a $4,000 Zeiss lens.  Of course, if I am printing very large, I will need to use the premium glass that comes as close as possible to resolving the 36MP.

I have shot extensively with many cameras/brands from 12MP to 36MP and I am now so sold on 36MP, I now have three such cameras.  The D800E (and my A7R's) produce unparalleled overall IQ, in real-world shooting conditions, save for going to medium format cameras.

In short, 36MP cameras, although not necessary for high IQ, since great prints can be made from as little as 8MP, certainly provide for a lot of additional overall flexibility in shooting.  Further, I have found that the number of shots that people label as "stunning" or "3D" goes up dramatically with these high resolution monsters.

If you do not believe me, rent a 36MP camera and see for yourself, before pontificating about what a waste it is.

Jeff2013's gear list:Jeff2013's gear list
Sony RX1R II Sony a9 Sony a7R III Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 90mm F2.8 macro +16 more
Dan_168 Veteran Member • Posts: 8,705

Craig wrote:

My problem is I use two cameras at a time shooting weddings and family shoots. With 70-200a and 24-70 lenses

Let me tell you they get real heavy after a couple of hours.

I can't believe how so many people here are so nit picky where you can't express an opinion without be personally bashed

free thinkers..

Yeah, me too use 2 1- series shooting event all the time, with a good carrying system such as blackRapid double strap, it's really easy to manage, I also do long hike with my gears, they are not light by any mean but again easily manageable, actually preferable for me. I had Mirrorless but hardly touched it and ended in up in the closet all the time while my 1DS MK 3 and D800E are always with me. Same here, just expressing my personal preference.

turbsy
turbsy Contributing Member • Posts: 909

Dan_168 wrote:

Craig wrote:

My problem is I use two cameras at a time shooting weddings and family shoots. With 70-200a and 24-70 lenses

free thinkers..

Yeah, me too use 2 1- series shooting event all the time, with a good carrying system such as blackRapid double strap, it's really easy to manage, I also do long hike with my gears, they are not light by any mean but again easily manageable, actually preferable for me. I had Mirrorless but hardly touched it and ended in up in the closet all the time while my 1DS MK 3 and D800E are always with me. Same here, just expressing my personal preference.

I agree Ive never really understood the outcry for ever smaller bodies.  I try to use even my friends Canon SL-1 and find it too small.  I have handled the OMD em5 and think its a great camera but too small to be comfortable.

I would appreciate smaller lenses.  Maybe a set of smaller but slower primes.

turbsy's gear list:turbsy's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Nikon D50 Nikon D300 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF +11 more
AllOtherNamesTaken Veteran Member • Posts: 3,563
Nikon isn't in the custom camera business

coudet wrote:

Craig wrote:

Perfect upgrade from my 12MP plus a low noise sensor. But NO.......You need 36MP.s and you will like it.

Why do they push this idea that more MP.s is what amateur photographers need?????

Its ludicrous to give

What's really ludicrous is that you seem to genuinely believe you speak for everyone and that what you need is what everyone needs.

+1

The amount of people seemingly upset that Nikon isn't custom building them a camera is hilarious.

Comments like "16 MP files are big enough for anyone's needs" are completely absurd.  Maybe they are big enough for your needs, and that's great, however you can only speak for yourself, and there are thousands of photographers taking full advantage of 24 & 36MP daily.

Nikon has an absolutely spectacular lineup of cameras covering a wide range of specialties.  Hell, the D810 is 3 capable cameras in 1 with it's crop modes, which is incredible.

Who is forcing you to buy A D800/D810?

AllOtherNamesTaken Veteran Member • Posts: 3,563

Craig wrote:

free thinkers..

The problem is you didn't express your opinion so much as you made comments like "nobody needs more than 16 MP".  When you try to tell other people what they want, they are going to respond unfavorably.

OP Craig Veteran Member • Posts: 5,933

Jeff2013 wrote:

If you ever shoot BIF or nature shots, whatever lens you use will likely never be long enough. Having 36mp to allow for significant cropping can really make a difference in terms of increasing the number of usable, great shots.

Down-converting 36mp files to usable sizes for print or viewing on the monitor shrinks blur and yields effectively sharper images. Roger Cicala, of Lens Rentals, has published a number of technical lens tests that conclusively prove this. I can shoot the lowly Nikon 28-300mm on my D800E, and by the time I down-convert to a usable print size, I end up with images that look like I shot them with a $4,000 Zeiss lens. Of course, if I am printing very large, I will need to use the premium glass that comes as close as possible to resolving the 36MP.

I have shot extensively with many cameras/brands from 12MP to 36MP and I am now so sold on 36MP, I now have three such cameras. The D800E (and my A7R's) produce unparalleled overall IQ, in real-world shooting conditions, save for going to medium format cameras.

In short, 36MP cameras, although not necessary for high IQ, since great prints can be made from as little as 8MP, certainly provide for a lot of additional overall flexibility in shooting. Further, I have found that the number of shots that people label as "stunning" or "3D" goes up dramatically with these high resolution monsters.

If you do not believe me, rent a 36MP camera and see for yourself, before pontificating about what a waste it is.

I appreciate all the replies here and I am now seeing more of the advantages of the 810.

I should not have stated the 36MP.s are not needed by most.

I have always prized Hi ISO ability in a camera because I shoot a lot of no flash low light shots for candids at weddings. So the D4, D4s and the lowly 16MPs is sufficient for my needs. But I also like the idea of have video now. I really like my D3s for that reason.

I will probably end up getting the 810 and hoping that it will also have some decent low light abilities along with its other features and probably put my low shutter count D700 on ebay

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads