This is the camera I really want

Started Jul 8, 2014 | Discussions
Craig Veteran Member • Posts: 5,916
This is the camera I really want
2

I know, I know its been said in many different ways but I am going to say it.

I am short for words so the rest can fill in the blanks.

I love my D3s but it weighs a ton with my nikor zoom lenses so I don't want another brick, like the D4 or D4s which is getting out of the ball park for expense even thought I could right it off.

So to me just give me the D4, or I would really like the D4s sensor in the 810 body.

Perfect upgrade from my 12MP plus a low noise sensor. But NO.......You need 36MP.s and you will like it.

16MP files are plenty big enough for anyones needs. So pros need less MP.s but amours need 3 times as many.. duh.

Why do they push this idea that more MP.s is what amateur photographers need?????

Its ludicrous to give 36 MP.s for people who may NEVER print larger than 11x14 maybe 16x20 on occassion since very few people ever print anymore. The majority of peoples pictures end up low rez FB size to share online. How many labs are hurting and going our of business today?

I left KM/Sony because of this very reason. They pushed high MP count cameras rather than working on the low noise ones. I bought the 12MP 700 and over 800 iso it stunk.

Why, because they cater to the stupidity of the consumers and its all about selling cameras so MORE MP.s is always better right?

I will probably end up getting the d810 since it should work fine but its not what I want.

Airbus5466 Regular Member • Posts: 184
Re: This is the camera I really want

As I understand it you get better DR in the D800 as well, not only a matter of MP. A lot of pros are using the D800, so I don't really see the pro vs amateur thing. D4 is about getting journalists a fast and relaible tool where IQ isn't the highest priority.

Jay Paul H Regular Member • Posts: 362
Re: This is the camera I really want
1

Df?

 Jay Paul H's gear list:Jay Paul H's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Nikon 1 V1 Nikon 1 J1 Nikon D800 Canon EOS 5D +43 more
OP Craig Veteran Member • Posts: 5,916
Re: This is the camera I really want

Jay Paul H wrote:

Df?

I want the better AF system along with video of the 810

When I shoot weddings I include video clips when I made a slide show. Its a nice plus.

coudet Veteran Member • Posts: 3,998
Re: This is the camera I really want
5

Craig wrote:

Perfect upgrade from my 12MP plus a low noise sensor. But NO.......You need 36MP.s and you will like it.

16MP files are plenty big enough for anyones needs. So pros need less MP.s but amours need 3 times as many.. duh.

Why do they push this idea that more MP.s is what amateur photographers need?????

Its ludicrous to give

What's really ludicrous is that you seem to genuinely believe you speak for everyone and that what you need is what everyone needs.

Michael Firstlight Veteran Member • Posts: 3,324
Who needs the extra MP - I do
1

I do commercial indoor multi-gigapixel panoramas (typically in the 2-5 GP range for 240-300ppi printing viewing at relatively close distances (I do 12x30 foot and larger ones regularly for places like visitor centers and other commercial indoor applications). I appreciate having to use fewer frames in the large arrays I have to assemble - and the 36MPs of my D800 are mighty welcome - heck, I'd prefer 50MP+. Also, I definitely get higher DR from the D800. So I guess that blows your assertion that no one needs more MPs.

Mike

 Michael Firstlight's gear list:Michael Firstlight's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR Sigma 10-20mm F3.5 EX DC HSM +19 more
OP Craig Veteran Member • Posts: 5,916
Re: Who needs the extra MP - I do

Michael Firstlight wrote:

I do commercial indoor multi-gigapixel panoramas (typically in the 2-5 GP range for 240-300ppi printing viewing at relatively close distances (I do 12x30 foot and larger ones regularly for places like visitor centers and other commercial indoor applications). I appreciate having to use fewer frames in the large arrays I have to assemble - and the 36MPs of my D800 are mighty welcome - heck, I'd prefer 50MP+. Also, I definitely get higher DR from the D800. So I guess that blows your assertion that no one needs more MPs.

Mike

OK I guess I should have said most don't really need 36 MP.s

Or I should of said, NIKON please build me a camera just for me, whatever.

inasir1971
inasir1971 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,623
Re: This is the camera I really want

If you're unhappy with what is available from Nikon, why on earth would you even consider buying the D810?

Isn't the obvious solution to buy something else, like the Canon 5DIII?

 inasir1971's gear list:inasir1971's gear list
Sony RX1R II Nikon D4 Nikon D850
ScottRH
ScottRH Senior Member • Posts: 1,741
Re: This is the camera I really want

Craig wrote:

I know, I know its been said in many different ways but I am going to say it.

I am short for words so the rest can fill in the blanks.

I love my D3s but it weighs a ton with my nikor zoom lenses so I don't want another brick, like the D4 or D4s which is getting out of the ball park for expense even thought I could right it off.

So to me just give me the D4, or I would really like the D4s sensor in the 810 body.

Perfect upgrade from my 12MP plus a low noise sensor. But NO.......You need 36MP.s and you will like it.

16MP files are plenty big enough for anyones needs. So pros need less MP.s but amours need 3 times as many.. duh.

Why do they push this idea that more MP.s is what amateur photographers need?????

Its ludicrous to give 36 MP.s for people who may NEVER print larger than 11x14 maybe 16x20 on occassion since very few people ever print anymore. The majority of peoples pictures end up low rez FB size to share online. How many labs are hurting and going our of business today?

I left KM/Sony because of this very reason. They pushed high MP count cameras rather than working on the low noise ones. I bought the 12MP 700 and over 800 iso it stunk.

Why, because they cater to the stupidity of the consumers and its all about selling cameras so MORE MP.s is always better right?

I will probably end up getting the d810 since it should work fine but its not what I want.

Sounds like you want a D710.

Foolish Nikon not making it.

OP Craig Veteran Member • Posts: 5,916
Re: This is the camera I really want
2

inasir1971 wrote:

If you're unhappy with what is available from Nikon, why on earth would you even consider buying the D810?

Isn't the obvious solution to buy something else, like the Canon 5DIII?

10K in lenses for one thing.

Hey wait a minute, my D700 and D3s still produce great pictures. I guess I don't need a new camera.. thanks!

Michael Firstlight Veteran Member • Posts: 3,324
Re: Who needs the extra MP - I do
1

I do get your point  - you are correct, few people really need that many MPs, even 24MP is overkill for the vast majority.  Imagine what a 12MP modern sensor could do with huge photosites.  Plus, those big files require big processing power - I have a rig that would have been considered a supercomputer not that long ago....it does get ridiculous. However, with the much higher MPs the AA filters are finally coming off and the risk or moire declines just like it did for MF sensors- so I guess it become a pick your poison proposition.

Regards,
Mike

 Michael Firstlight's gear list:Michael Firstlight's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR Sigma 10-20mm F3.5 EX DC HSM +19 more
turbsy
turbsy Contributing Member • Posts: 894
Re: This is the camera I really want

Craig wrote:

I know, I know its been said in many different ways but I am going to say it.

I am short for words so the rest can fill in the blanks.

I love my D3s but it weighs a ton with my nikor zoom lenses so I don't want another brick, like the D4 or D4s which is getting out of the ball park for expense even thought I could right it off.

So to me just give me the D4, or I would really like the D4s sensor in the 810 body.

Perfect upgrade from my 12MP plus a low noise sensor. But NO.......You need 36MP.s and you will like it.

16MP files are plenty big enough for anyones needs. So pros need less MP.s but amours need 3 times as many.. duh.

Why do they push this idea that more MP.s is what amateur photographers need?????

Its ludicrous to give 36 MP.s for people who may NEVER print larger than 11x14 maybe 16x20 on occassion since very few people ever print anymore. The majority of peoples pictures end up low rez FB size to share online. How many labs are hurting and going our of business today?

I left KM/Sony because of this very reason. They pushed high MP count cameras rather than working on the low noise ones. I bought the 12MP 700 and over 800 iso it stunk.

Why, because they cater to the stupidity of the consumers and its all about selling cameras so MORE MP.s is always better right?

I will probably end up getting the d810 since it should work fine but its not what I want.

What an arrogant post.

Why do you presume you know what other people want or need?

 turbsy's gear list:turbsy's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Nikon D800 Nikon D300 Nikon D50 Sigma 24-70mm F2.8 EX DG Macro +11 more
thomas2279f
thomas2279f Senior Member • Posts: 2,846
Re: This is the camera I really want
1

Wished Nikon followed Sony's example on the A7/s/r model.   Get a D800 and do 4 models; one with the D4 Sensor, one with the D610 24mp, one with the 36mp and one design as a Video Line - 4k.   doesn't matter if it affects the D4 sales as Nikon would make the money in sales of Lenses, Flash guns and accessories...

-- hide signature --

David Thomas

 thomas2279f's gear list:thomas2279f's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon D850 Apple iPad WiFi +1 more
larrywilson
larrywilson Veteran Member • Posts: 6,280
Re: This is the camera I really want

Yes I agree, pretty narrow minded post!!!!  I just sold my d4 several months ago not because it was a brick, in fact best handling camera I have ever had.  I sold it because I need to crop most of the time in shooting birds in the wild and still get a reasonable size print.

I bought a used d800e to take the d4 place and will use the extra money that I got out of my d4 sales to buy the d810.  If the d810 works out, especially if it has an improved auto focus, then I will sell my d800e so that I am not out any money between selling the d4 and d800e.

Larry

 larrywilson's gear list:larrywilson's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon D500 Zeiss Milvus 50mm F2 Macro Tokina AT-X 70-200mm F4 PRO FX VCM-S Nikon AF-S Nikkor 500mm F4E FL ED VR +6 more
Dan_168 Veteran Member • Posts: 7,645
I want the opposite camera as yours

Craig wrote:

I love my D3s but it weighs a ton with my nikor zoom lenses so I don't want another brick, like the D4 or D4s which is getting out of the ball park for expense even thought I could right it off.

So to me just give me the D4, or I would really like the D4s sensor in the 810 body.

Funny thing is I am looking for exactly opposite, as a current 3 Canon 1-Series and D800E owner and previously D3 owner, now about to add a second D800E, the only thing I was hoping for is a D810 sensor in a D4 body and I will be all set for a while. One of the problem I have with my D800E is the body, I have to add the vertical grip to it not just so I can use the bigger battery and make it faster or what, it's just to make it more comfortable to shoot with, and even with the VG, it still feels pretty horrible when compare to my 1DS MK III and old D3 in terms of handling. So all I am dreaming about is the "D4X" with 810 sensor, I will even cut down my other expense to save up for that. LOL, if I really really need a smaller one, there is already a A7R out there which offers great image quality. By the way, I will never go back to lower resolution camera, I have plenty of those and don't need another one.

ormdig
ormdig Senior Member • Posts: 2,016
Re: This is the camera I really want
1

thomas2279f wrote:

Wished Nikon followed Sony's example on the A7/s/r model. Get a D800 and do 4 models; one with the D4 Sensor, one with the D610 24mp, one with the 36mp and one design as a Video Line - 4k. doesn't matter if it affects the D4 sales as Nikon would make the money in sales of Lenses, Flash guns and accessories...

-- hide signature --

David Thomas

Hi David, if Nikon did this then people would gripe because these features aren't all in one camera,

-- hide signature --

Pete

 ormdig's gear list:ormdig's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S 105mm F1.4E ED +7 more
OP Craig Veteran Member • Posts: 5,916
Re: I want the opposite camera as yours

My problem is I use two cameras at a time shooting weddings and family shoots. With 70-200a and 24-70 lenses

Let me tell you they get real heavy after a couple of hours.

I can't believe how so many people here are so nit picky where you can't express an opinion without be personally bashed

free thinkers..

Robin Casady Forum Pro • Posts: 12,898
Re: This is the camera I really want

thomas2279f wrote:

Wished Nikon followed Sony's example on the A7/s/r model. Get a D800 and do 4 models; one with the D4 Sensor, one with the D610 24mp, one with the 36mp and one design as a Video Line - 4k. doesn't matter if it affects the D4 sales as Nikon would make the money in sales of Lenses, Flash guns and accessories...

Your scenario would probably be less profitable for Nikon than the one model D810. Four models would cost significantly more $$ to develop, market, and distribute than one model. They would also confuse many customers. Of those who need a new camera, most will adapt to what Nikon has available with the D610, D810, and D4S. The number that go to another brand over megapixel phobia will likely be small. Adding three more models would probably be more expensive than the loss of that small group of customers.

Some may delay purchase, but will eventually get used to the idea of high mp counts and eventually buy Nikon. The slow acceptance of high mp counts can be seen in the D710 threads over the last two years. It started out with most saying they want no more than 12mp. Then it started edging up to 16mp. Later, 24mp began showing up.

There is more value to high mp counts than just resolution for large prints. Around the time of the D800 release there were a number of discussions on whether fewer large photosites produced better IQ than more small photosites. I believe it was Bobn2 and others who explained the technical reasons why, contrary to current mythology, more small photosites were better.

-- hide signature --

Robin Casady
http://www.robincasady.com/Photo/index.html
"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please."
—Mark Twain

Robin Casady Forum Pro • Posts: 12,898
Re: I want the opposite camera as yours
1

Craig wrote:

I can't believe how so many people here are so nit picky where you can't express an opinion without be personally bashed

I am amazed that a few people feel compelled to post the same #$%& thread over and over and over again.

-- hide signature --

Robin Casady
http://www.robincasady.com/Photo/index.html
"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please."
—Mark Twain

joeybob Contributing Member • Posts: 627
Re: I want the opposite camera as yours

Dan_168 wrote:

So all I am dreaming about is the "D4X" with 810 sensor, I will even cut down my other expense to save up for that.

The above is spot on with what I'd like to shoot with...

 joeybob's gear list:joeybob's gear list
Nikon D3S Nikon D300 Nikon D200 Nikon D800 Nikon D600 +42 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads