Discoloration with Nikon D7100 and Hoya NDx400 daytime long exposure

Started Jul 7, 2014 | Questions
remyremyr3m
remyremyr3m New Member • Posts: 3
Discoloration with Nikon D7100 and Hoya NDx400 daytime long exposure

Hi everyone.

This is my first post, so I hope I'm posting in a decent spot. I tried to find a resolution to this problem before posting, but I couldn't seem to find anything and there are so dang many threads in here!

Anyway, I've been using my Hoya NDx400 neutral density filter for a while now with my D5200 with no problems, but yesterday I used it for the first time with my new D7100.

The exposures came back with a long, discolored streak across them. I'm not that new to photography that I'm using screwy settings or anything, but I'm wondering if anyone's experienced something like this before?

Help me, please!

Thanks.

Here's a sample image...

Downtown Honolulu. 15s, f/18 (probably should've gone lower), ISO 100, 17mm, RAW, Daytime WB

remyremyr3m's gear list:remyremyr3m's gear list
Nikon D5200 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM | C
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Nikon D7100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Leonard Migliore
Leonard Migliore Forum Pro • Posts: 17,214
Re: Discoloration with Nikon D7100 and Hoya NDx400 daytime long exposure

Did you cover the viewfinder window? You can get light leaks from there.

-- hide signature --

Leonard Migliore

Leonard Migliore's gear list:Leonard Migliore's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Sony RX100 III Nikon D300 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +12 more
Mark Scott Abeln
Mark Scott Abeln Forum Pro • Posts: 13,678

A light leak through the viewfinder sounds like a good explanation, and perhaps there is some lens flare.

How hot was it that day? How many photos were you taking before this one? I know that some of my Nikons will generate a localized magenta color cast with long exposures when the camera is hot, so much as to ruin the photos.

Mark Scott Abeln's gear list:Mark Scott Abeln's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D7000 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +2 more
Mark Scott Abeln
Mark Scott Abeln Forum Pro • Posts: 13,678
Viewfinder light leak
 Mark Scott Abeln's gear list:Mark Scott Abeln's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D7000 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +2 more
stephang
stephang Regular Member • Posts: 149
+1 for the uncovered viewfinder (N/T)

No text

stephang's gear list:stephang's gear list
Fujifilm X20 Fujifilm X-E1 Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 50mm F1.8 II Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG Macro HSM II +12 more
remyremyr3m
OP remyremyr3m New Member • Posts: 3

Wow, ok, sounds like the light leak may be the most likely culprit. I never really covered it up with my D5200 because it wasn't ever a problem, but I'll try covering it up for the D7100 to see if that solves it.

And I hadn't been shooting before this, so the heat wasn't an issue. Probably 70s out anyway.

Thanks!

Nikon D5200 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM | C
l_d_allan
l_d_allan Veteran Member • Posts: 5,087

remyremyr3m wrote:
Wow, ok, sounds like the light leak may be the most likely culprit. I never really covered it up with my D5200 because it wasn't ever a problem, but I'll try covering it up for the D7100 to see if that solves it.

Interesting. I hope we hear back from the OP whether this resolved the issue.

However, I'm wondering why having a ND filter would make a difference.  I realize the exposure would be significantly longer. Does this suggest his D7100 has a problem? Or intermittent? The provided image almost looked like a flash sync issue with curtain problem.

I do a lot of exposures on tripod without worrying about covering up the viewfinder. Canon 6d with and without LiveView. Short exposures, long exposures, and very long exposures. Pretty much all combinations.

I'm aware that I should be using the provided rubber OVF cover on the strap when my eye isn't near the OVF, but I never do. IIRC, I thought this was more to not confuse the exposure meter.

I suppose I should check if I am once again "shooting myself in the foot" by ignoring the OVF cover?

l_d_allan's gear list:l_d_allan's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ47 Canon PowerShot S110 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 600D +27 more
Leonard Migliore

l_d_allan wrote:

remyremyr3m wrote:

Interesting. I hope we hear back from the OP whether this resolved the issue.

However, I'm wondering why having a ND filter would make a difference. I realize the exposure would be significantly longer. Does this suggest his D7100 has a problem? Or intermittent? The provided image almost looked like a flash sync issue with curtain problem.

The ND filter makes a difference because it allows much less light through the lens than is normal. So any light leaks from elsewhere are more evident.

I do a lot of exposures on tripod without worrying about covering up the viewfinder. Canon 6d with and without LiveView. Short exposures, long exposures, and very long exposures. Pretty much all combinations.

Your camera's mirror may do a better job of sealing off the light from the viewfinder; that isn't the mirror's primary job and the 7100 may just not make a light-tight joint.

I'm aware that I should be using the provided rubber OVF cover on the strap when my eye isn't near the OVF, but I never do. IIRC, I thought this was more to not confuse the exposure meter.

That's probably the main reason.

I suppose I should check if I am once again "shooting myself in the foot" by ignoring the OVF cover?

Try a long exposure with the lens cap on.

-- hide signature --

Leonard Migliore

Canon PowerShot G12 Sony RX100 III Nikon D300 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +12 more
l_d_allan
l_d_allan Veteran Member • Posts: 5,087

Leonard Migliore wrote:

Thanks. I'll give that a try. The lens cap should certainly be a strong ND

I infer you are suggesting the test being during daylight as the most rigorous test? Couple seconds or so? With and without the OVF rubber cover?

l_d_allan's gear list:l_d_allan's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ47 Canon PowerShot S110 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 600D +27 more
Leonard Migliore

l_d_allan wrote:

Leonard Migliore wrote:

Thanks. I'll give that a try. The lens cap should certainly be a strong ND

I infer you are suggesting the test being during daylight as the most rigorous test? Couple seconds or so? With and without the OVF rubber cover?

Play it by ear. See what 30 seconds in daylight does.

-- hide signature --

Leonard Migliore

remyremyr3m
OP remyremyr3m New Member • Posts: 3

Covering the OVF solved it. It was just a light leak issue. Thanks, everyone!

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads