Tamron SP 90mm F/2.5 52BB: which adapter for NEX-5T?

Started Jul 7, 2014 | Discussions
herbert68
herbert68 Forum Member • Posts: 93
Tamron SP 90mm F/2.5 52BB: which adapter for NEX-5T?

I'm a photo enthusiast since long, but new to mirrorless and interchangeable lenses, trying to read up as much as I can as fast as I can.

I always liked macro photography and many here seem to like the Tamron SP 90mm F/2.5 Macro 52B0r 52BB lens. I understand I'll need an adapter for my NEX-5T, and after some extensive search I found the options below.

Can you experts please help me decide if any these combinations work on my camera? Thank you!

52B:

key.com: $89, used, shipped

EbaEbay US: $108, used, shipped.

Ebay Japan: $140, used, shipped from Ebay Japan.

52BB (better option, lighter?):

Ebay US: $171 used, shipped

Adapter:

Amazon.com: $26, new, shipped

SONY LA-EA1: $103, Ebay, new, shipped

NEX-5T Sony Alpha NEX-5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
mkylau Regular Member • Posts: 102
Re: Tamron SP 90mm F/2.5 52BB: which adapter for NEX-5T?

I recently acquired a copy of the Tamron SP 90mm F/2.5 (52B) along with the the matching 1:1 teleconverter. As my first dedicated macro lens, I haven't yet mastered the narrow DOF and my marco shots haven't been up to par thus far. Though as a portraiture lens, the IQ is excellent.

My copy came with the adaptall II to Minolta MD mount adapter, so I'm using my existing Minolta MD to e-mount adapter. RainbowImaging sells various lens adapters and shipping is extremely fast to here in Canada (usually in just a couple days).

http://stores.ebay.ca/RainbowImaging/Lens-Adapter-/_i.html?_nkw=sony+nex&_fsub=1396706011&_sid=887351901&_trksid=p4634.c0.m322

mkylau's gear list:mkylau's gear list
NEX5R Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sony DT 55-300mm F4.5-5.6 SAM Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sigma 19mm F2.8 EX DN +4 more
SimonOL Senior Member • Posts: 1,670

I've got the later 52BB model and it works really well on my NEX. This later model uses more plastic in it's construction so is a little lighter than the 52B though it seems a bit more bulky. Some claim the 52BB is optically better.

Both suffer from a blue spot problem in certain situations - typically shooting backlit subjects at smaller apertures - caused by light reflecting off the sensor on to the rear element.

The beauty of the Adaptall system is that it uses an interchangeable mount and is often supplied with a common mount such as Canon FD, Nikon F, Minolta MD etc. If you already use any legacy lenses you could use an adapter you already have if you get the right Adaptall mount for that adapter.

If this is likely to be your only MF legacy lens, the Adaptall to NEX adapter makes sense.

The Sony LA-EA1 would only be useful with a later autofocus lens in Sony A-mount.

SimonOL's gear list:SimonOL's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha a7 II Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony FE 28-70mm F3.5-5.6 OSS +1 more
herbert68
OP herbert68 Forum Member • Posts: 93

Thank you both for your help! Just one more question please:

I am trying to understand which adapter I should order to fit a Tamron SP 90mm f2.5 Macro Lens Adaptall 2 for Nikon on my NEX-5T.

Is this adapter the right one to fit my camera? Or do I need this Nikon specific one instead? In other words, does this lens come with a Nikon specific adapter I could remove and replace it with the generic Adaptall to Nex one? Or do I add an additional Nikon to Nex adapter to make this lens fit?

Thank you!

-Herbert

osv Veteran Member • Posts: 8,416

herbert68 wrote:

I am trying to understand which adapter I should order to fit a Tamron SP 90mm f2.5 Macro Lens Adaptall 2 for Nikon on my NEX-5T.

is that the lens that you bought? it appears to have the removable adaptall 2 nikon adapter mounted on it, so you could use either an adaptall --> nex, or nikon --> nex.

i would get a nikon --> nex adapter that has a tripod mount on it, similar to this:

http://www.amazon.com/DSLRKIT-Nikon-Mount-Adapter-Tripod/dp/B007LGB89S

-- hide signature --

dan

herbert68

Thanks Dan. Yes that's the lens I just bought. What's still not clear to me is this: does it matter if I put two adapters or just one, does that distance difference not influence the lens optics?

As I said earlier I'm new to interchangeable lenses ...  

-Herbert

fotowbert
fotowbert Senior Member • Posts: 2,529
Adapting Tamron SP 90mm F/2.5 52BB to NEX

herbert68 wrote:

I am trying to understand which adapter I should order to fit a Tamron SP 90mm f2.5 Macro Lens Adaptall 2 for Nikon on my NEX-5T.

Is this adapter the right one to fit my camera?

To use this adapter to fit the lens on your NEX you must first remove the Nikon Adaptall mount from the rear of the lens.

Or do I need this Nikon specific one instead?

With this adapter you leave the Nikon Adaptall mount on the lens. A Nikon "G" type to NEX adapter isn't necessary for this Tamron lens or any Nikon lens which has an aperture control ring. However using a "G" type adapter when the lens already has an aperture ring allows "preset" style aperture control allowing you go quickly go from wide open to any set F value by turning the aperture control on the adapter.

In other words, does this lens come with a Nikon specific adapter I could remove and replace it with the generic Adaptall to Nex one? Or do I add an additional Nikon to Nex adapter to make this lens fit?

The image definitely shows the lens fitted with a Nikon Adaptall mount with coupling fork. The listing says for Nikon so IMO it is reasonable to assume the lens will be shipped with the Nikon Adaptall mount attached. Try contacting the seller for an answer because to assume something always carries the risk of making an a$$ out of u and me.

As I explained above either adapter can be used. Which one depends upon if you expect to add more legacy lens and whether you want one adapter per lens or plan to share the adapters. Long term the Nikon "G" to NEX adapter would have more potential IMO.

I would not be concerned with the Nikon Adaptall mount introducing any significant focusing error. Any infinity focus issue would be due to the NEX adapter. Over the long run of these Adaptall lenses I don't recall seeing reports of infinity focus problem as is now commonly reported for the typical low cost NEX adapters.

• John
 fotowbert's gear list:fotowbert's gear list
Canon PowerShot A20 Canon PowerShot SD870 IS Fujifilm FinePix F31fd Panasonic Lumix DMC-LZ8 Canon PowerShot S95 +15 more
herbert68
Re: Adapting Tamron SP 90mm F/2.5 52BB to NEX

Awesome answer, thank you John. Now I get it, or at least I think I do, we'll see once the items arrive later this week.

This forum is truly great, couldn't do without it!    )

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads