Nikon 300mm ƒ4 ED with teleconverter?

Started Jul 7, 2014 | Questions
crPhotographer New Member • Posts: 5
Nikon 300mm ƒ4 ED with teleconverter?

Hello,

I have a older nikon 300mm ƒ4 ED (has camera driven autofocus) I was wondering if there is a teleconverter (1.4 times) that would work on this lens. I am mainly interested in wildlife photography, so the extra reach would be nice. I don't think that there would be any nikon converters that would fit onto the lens and still autofocus. What would be the best option? Has anyone had any experience with this lens and a teleconverter? I have read about kenkos but was not sure of the image quality and ability to autofocus.

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

Joe

crPhotographer's gear list:crPhotographer's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D7100 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +1 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Michael Benveniste
Michael Benveniste Veteran Member • Posts: 3,317
Re: Nikon 300mm ƒ4 ED with teleconverter?

This one is your best bet:
http://thkphoto.com/kenko/products/teleplusdgxdg/telepluspro300af14xdgx/

I have the older DG version and I'm satisfied with the image quality. Autofocus works but it's a bit slower than the bare lens, and at least on the bodies I've owned the bare lens isn't particularly quick to start with.

-- hide signature --

Such commentary has become ubiquitous on the Internet and is widely perceived to carry no indicium of reliability and little weight. (Digital Media News v. Escape Media Group, May 2014).

Michael Benveniste's gear list:Michael Benveniste's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 995 Nikon D200 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G ED-IF +33 more
OP crPhotographer New Member • Posts: 5

Thanks very much! I will look at it.

Joe

crPhotographer's gear list:crPhotographer's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D7100 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +1 more
PHXAZCRAIG
PHXAZCRAIG Forum Pro • Posts: 13,434

I've tested the 300F4 AF-S with the Kenko 1.4 Pro TC, and it was fine.   The Nikon 1.4TC-EII seems marginally better, mostly in the corners (where it tends not to be needed as much since you are often still cropping when shooting wildlife).

Get the best of the Kenko 1.4 TC's, and you should be fine.

-- hide signature --

Craig
www.cjcphoto.net

PHXAZCRAIG's gear list:PHXAZCRAIG's gear list
Nikon D80 Nikon D200 Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon 1 V1 +35 more
Duncan Glendinning Regular Member • Posts: 266

PHXAZCRAIG wrote:

I've tested the 300F4 AF-S with the Kenko 1.4 Pro TC, and it was fine. The Nikon 1.4TC-EII seems marginally better, mostly in the corners (where it tends not to be needed as much since you are often still cropping when shooting wildlife).

Get the best of the Kenko 1.4 TC's, and you should be fine.

-- hide signature --

Craig
www.cjcphoto.net

Unless you want to use manual focus, I don't think the TC-14 will be much use on the screw drive version of the Nikon 300mm f/4 lens

-- hide signature --

Equipment in profile

Duncan Glendinning's gear list:Duncan Glendinning's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 Nikon D90 Canon EOS M Nikon D600
Leonard Shepherd
Leonard Shepherd Forum Pro • Posts: 13,244
Re: Just to clarify

Just to clarify the Nikon TC14e does not fit or AF with 300 f4 prior to the recent Nikon AF-s version.

The Kenko TC 1.4 x does fit and AF with the old 300 f4 AF.

-- hide signature --

Leonard Shepherd
Producing good quality photographs, or being good at sport or art, involves a little more than buying appropriate equipment. Practice, some learning and perhaps natural talent often play a bigger role than the equipment in your hands.

Leonard Shepherd's gear list:Leonard Shepherd's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon D7200 Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED VR +20 more
afoton
afoton Senior Member • Posts: 1,364
Re: Just to clarify

Leonard Shepherd wrote:

Just to clarify the Nikon TC14e does not fit or AF with 300 f4 prior to the recent Nikon AF-s version.

It is an easy task with a Dremel to modify the mount on the teleconverter so the old AF-lens will mount. I have done it and despite it is only manual focus, I doubt that I will ever use the Kenko 1.4x ever again with this lens.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads