85mm or thereabouts FE lens?

Started Jul 5, 2014 | Discussions
salla30
salla30 Senior Member • Posts: 2,596
85mm or thereabouts FE lens?

Hi,

I am curious to know whether there are plans for a fast Sony FE mount 85mm lens or similar portrait lens?

Thanks for any pointers

 salla30's gear list:salla30's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony RX1 Sony RX100 II Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony a5000 +1 more
Chrisd999
Chrisd999 Senior Member • Posts: 1,147
Re: 85mm or thereabouts FE lens?
1

There is the Samyang 85mm f/1.4, which is available as an e-mount. It is an excellent portrait lens for full frame, the only knock I have with it is the long minimum focus distance. It's MF only too, which is not a problem for me anyway. Can't beat it for the price.
--
http://www.flickr.com/photos/chrisd666
http://500px.com/Chrisd999

 Chrisd999's gear list:Chrisd999's gear list
Sony RX1R II Olympus E-M1 II Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 Samyang 7.5mm F3.5 UMC Fisheye MFT +10 more
salla30
OP salla30 Senior Member • Posts: 2,596
Re: 85mm or thereabouts FE lens?

thanks, this is an e mount lens, so crop frame on FE? ie down to around 10.5mp on the A7?

Ill check it for my NEX for sure, however...

 salla30's gear list:salla30's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony RX1 Sony RX100 II Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony a5000 +1 more
verybiglebowski
verybiglebowski Veteran Member • Posts: 3,978
Re: 85mm or thereabouts FE lens?

salla30 wrote:

thanks, this is an e mount lens, so crop frame on FE? ie down to around 10.5mp on the A7?

Ill check it for my NEX for sure, however...

There is no FE mount, only E-mount (for Sony MILC). Samyang85/1.4 is a full frame lens as the previous poster wrote.

-- hide signature --

Don't trust your eyes or mind, they might betray you! Trust only comments posted on the forums, because there is the absolute truth!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/viktor_viktor/
http://verybiglobo.blogspot.com/

 verybiglebowski's gear list:verybiglebowski's gear list
Sony a7R Sony a7R II Sony a7R III Zeiss Otus 1.4/55 Zeiss Otus 85mm F1.4 +2 more
Chrisd999
Chrisd999 Senior Member • Posts: 1,147
Re: 85mm or thereabouts FE lens?
 Chrisd999's gear list:Chrisd999's gear list
Sony RX1R II Olympus E-M1 II Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 Samyang 7.5mm F3.5 UMC Fisheye MFT +10 more
salla30
OP salla30 Senior Member • Posts: 2,596
Re: 85mm or thereabouts FE lens?

Chrisd999 wrote:

No, it's full frame on A7/r.
--
http://www.flickr.com/photos/chrisd666
http://500px.com/Chrisd999

Great!

Thanks for that. A worthwhile investment indeed for me.

 salla30's gear list:salla30's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony RX1 Sony RX100 II Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony a5000 +1 more
tukatu Junior Member • Posts: 27
Re: 85mm or thereabouts FE lens?

i bought the Rokinon 85mm f/1.4 Aspherical Lens@ $199 here http://www.ebay.com/itm/390876353495

No E-mount but i choose Canon mount as i can use with adapter for Sony A7 & E-M1. For A7, i'll be testing EOS Mount to Leica M mount on Voigtlander M to NEX Close Focus Adapter (Sony E Mount) so that i can do close focus.

since its a Manual lens...so might as well get something i can use on both camera.

Chrisd999
Chrisd999 Senior Member • Posts: 1,147
Re: 85mm or thereabouts FE lens?

Here are a couple samples shot with the Samyang 85mm native e-mount (FE) on the A7R shot wide open. I don't post family shots online, so have to settle for Maggie

Click on Original Size links, to fully understand the shallow DOF this lens is capable of.

 Chrisd999's gear list:Chrisd999's gear list
Sony RX1R II Olympus E-M1 II Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 Samyang 7.5mm F3.5 UMC Fisheye MFT +10 more
sean lancaster
sean lancaster Veteran Member • Posts: 7,326
Re: 85mm or thereabouts FE lens?
1

tukatu wrote:

i bought the Rokinon 85mm f/1.4 Aspherical Lens@ $199 here http://www.ebay.com/itm/390876353495

No E-mount but i choose Canon mount as i can use with adapter for Sony A7 & E-M1. For A7, i'll be testing EOS Mount to Leica M mount on Voigtlander M to NEX Close Focus Adapter (Sony E Mount) so that i can do close focus.

since its a Manual lens...so might as well get something i can use on both camera.

Adapters are notoriously bad at being perfectly level to the mount, so using 2 adapters for a lens just doesn't appeal to me at all. I'll look forward to seeing some of your results from the A7 using 2 mount adapters. Maybe you'll get lucky.

 sean lancaster's gear list:sean lancaster's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony a7R II Voigtlander 35mm F1.2 Nokton Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 28mm F2 +4 more
tukatu Junior Member • Posts: 27
Re: 85mm or thereabouts FE lens?

sean lancaster wrote:

tukatu wrote:

i bought the Rokinon 85mm f/1.4 Aspherical Lens@ $199 here http://www.ebay.com/itm/390876353495

No E-mount but i choose Canon mount as i can use with adapter for Sony A7 & E-M1. For A7, i'll be testing EOS Mount to Leica M mount on Voigtlander M to NEX Close Focus Adapter (Sony E Mount) so that i can do close focus.

since its a Manual lens...so might as well get something i can use on both camera.

Adapters are notoriously bad at being perfectly level to the mount, so using 2 adapters for a lens just doesn't appeal to me at all. I'll look forward to seeing some of your results from the A7 using 2 mount adapters. Maybe you'll get lucky.

yeah. will try it out. if it doesn't work, will use just one EOS to E mount adapter

captura Forum Pro • Posts: 25,957
Re: 85mm or thereabouts FE lens?

salla30 wrote:

thanks, this is an e mount lens, so crop frame on FE? ie down to around 10.5mp on the A7?

Ill check it for my NEX for sure, however...

No, it's a full-frame E-mount lens, so not a crop frame lens on A7.

Here's a review of a Nikon-mount AE version which should otherwise be the same as the E-mount version, for optical performance.

http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Samyang_Rokinon_85mm_f1-4_AE/

 captura's gear list:captura's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Canon EOS Rebel SL1 Sony a7 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM +3 more
salla30
OP salla30 Senior Member • Posts: 2,596
Re: 85mm or thereabouts FE lens?

Thanks for sharing. Looks pretty stunning! (and the lens quality too )

 salla30's gear list:salla30's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony RX1 Sony RX100 II Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony a5000 +1 more
sku New Member • Posts: 6
Re: 85mm or thereabouts FE lens?

I use the 55/1.8 on the A7, and instead of using the Nikkor 1.8/85mm (which is very good), I just bought an A6000. On that, the 55 becomes a 82mm, with AF and eye detection for portraits - happy with it.

Chrisd999
Chrisd999 Senior Member • Posts: 1,147
Re: 85mm or thereabouts FE lens?

salla30 wrote:

Thanks for sharing. Looks pretty stunning! (and the lens quality too )

Thanks David. By the way, I just noticed the Samyang 85mm f1.4 is on sale for $200 now - check the sonyalpharumors web site.

 Chrisd999's gear list:Chrisd999's gear list
Sony RX1R II Olympus E-M1 II Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 Samyang 7.5mm F3.5 UMC Fisheye MFT +10 more
salla30
OP salla30 Senior Member • Posts: 2,596
Re: 85mm or thereabouts FE lens?

Wow that is cheap. Ive checked here and its around double the price unfortunately (in Switz).

Still an interesting option. Maybe I can import one from the States.

 salla30's gear list:salla30's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony RX1 Sony RX100 II Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony a5000 +1 more
captura Forum Pro • Posts: 25,957
Re: 85mm or thereabouts FE lens?

I will probably be getting the classic Canon EF 85/1.8, after I finally decide on an adapter.

 captura's gear list:captura's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Canon EOS Rebel SL1 Sony a7 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM +3 more
dave
dave Senior Member • Posts: 1,415
Re: 85mm or thereabouts FE lens?

I just picked up a nice Nikon 85/2 AIS and it seem to be as good as my Nikon 105/2.5. It has seven blade aperture which is an improvement over the 85/1.8 Nikon AIS etc. It is no bigger then my Nikon 35/2.

-- hide signature --

Sony A7 Pentax K5ii Canon 5D

 dave's gear list:dave's gear list
Pentax K-5 II Sony a7R II Pentax smc DA 16-45mm F4 ED AL Rokinon 14mm F2.8 IF ED MC HD Pentax DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED WR +8 more
salla30
OP salla30 Senior Member • Posts: 2,596
Re: 85mm or thereabouts FE lens?

tempting also. Countering this choice is the obvious price differential and the fact that I would really like an 85mm full frame option as I can foresee an A7 purchase in the next year or 2. But it's tempting for sure.

I was really wondering if Sony had plans for an 85mm FE lens specifically. This would be a worth addition i feel. I would pay a premium as a longer term investment. With 35mm on the RX1 and a quality AF 85mm FE lens on an A7, I'd be really set for most eventualities.

 salla30's gear list:salla30's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony RX1 Sony RX100 II Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony a5000 +1 more
seachicken2000
seachicken2000 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,236
Re: 85mm or thereabouts FE lens?

salla30 wrote:

tempting also. Countering this choice is the obvious price differential and the fact that I would really like an 85mm full frame option as I can foresee an A7 purchase in the next year or 2. But it's tempting for sure.

I was really wondering if Sony had plans for an 85mm FE lens specifically. This would be a worth addition i feel. I would pay a premium as a longer term investment. With 35mm on the RX1 and a quality AF 85mm FE lens on an A7, I'd be really set for most eventualities.

My guess is yes, they do have plans for an 85mm FE lens in the near future. A medium telephoto lens was on old roadmaps dating back years, but was delayed, and has now vanished.

It's possible (a wild guess) that when Sony made the decision to go full frame, they decided a full frame 85mm lens made more sense for the system, rather than an APS-C only lens. So maybe the development of the APS-C lens was terminated, and development on a FF version started.

There's a wide aperture prime lens on this year's roadmap. I'm expecting it to be the long promised medium telephoto prime (draw your own conclusions, as the evidence here is pretty sparse).

The 85mm f/2.8 SAL lens isn't a bad option at this focal length. Even including the adapter the size isn't too unmanageable. I own this one, and like it a lot. It's sharp enough, and renders beautifully. ~$200 at the moment for the Samyang seems hard to beat though...

-- hide signature --

A rose by any other name is still a chicken.
http://500px.com/seachicken

 seachicken2000's gear list:seachicken2000's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Fujifilm FinePix S2 Pro Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony a7R +21 more
salla30
OP salla30 Senior Member • Posts: 2,596
Re: 85mm or thereabouts FE lens?

Thanks for reply.

I will "watch this space" as they say. Im not in a position to invest right now anyhow. The recent RX1 acquisition has cost me dear; but has opened up ideas.

Thanks again.

 salla30's gear list:salla30's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony RX1 Sony RX100 II Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony a5000 +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads