Trouble in trusting Cameras and Parts.com! With any camera with a collapsible lens.

Started Jul 5, 2014 | Discussions
foggy
foggy Regular Member • Posts: 369
Trouble in trusting Cameras and Parts.com! With any camera with a collapsible lens.

I teach a small class in photography. I’ve been enjoying the craft since early 1972. In my class I have this very nice lady. She is very passionate about the craft, and practices on her granddaughter as she grows up. About 8 to 9 months ago she came to me with a lens that would not focus in one direction nor fold in on shutdown. In looking around we felt that she would pay as much as her G 11 was worth to send into Canon. So in Googling around I found this obscure forum with a lot of recommendations for Cameras and Parts.com. It looked like an inexpensive and affordable solution to repair her camera. So she bundled it off and sent it to them and we waited and waited and waited..! after about a month and a half she started contacting them to no avail. Parts were on back order, they had a lot of cameras ahead of hers she was in line for repair. Finally after about 4 months she ask them to just send her camera back to her. She was told by e-mail it was shipped on May 8th. She was told that she would get a tracking confirmation..! So she waited and waited…! And is still waiting..!

This is either a case of nonprofessional handling of loosing a camera. With no attempt to make it right with the customer. Or her camera having been repaired is now residing with it’s new owner sold as used somewhere on the web market with the proceeds going to Cameras and Parts.com. So the question is do you want to trust your camera to them, and get like service..? The reference number for her camera repair is Y5262 If anybody can verify or look into the E-mail trail. This is just a heads up to inform how you might be treated.

Foggy

foggy's gear list:foggy's gear list
Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma DP2 Merrill Sigma DP3 Merrill Canon EOS 60D Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM +7 more
Corkcampbell
Corkcampbell Forum Pro • Posts: 18,043
You should help her with a new camera.

You should buy her a new camera; not that you owe it, but out of courtesy and compassion, and because she's lost four months. She probably wouldn't accept it so offer to go half on a replacement.

"Googling around" is not acceptable. Neither is "obscure." What was their situation on reselleratings? Surely you checked there; if they weren't listed four months ago that might have been a clue...I just checked - took ten seconds; two complaints about G12 cameras, maybe posted after your "lady" sent hers in, but lack of comments is as bad as negative comments. Not sure if it's the same place that you are referencing, of course and not sure the website that I found with that name...a website with a bunch of testimonials without dates but with similar grammar; yet, none of these "testimonials" ended up on RR. Again, perhaps these are not the same website and RR page for your place.

I taught university-level media, but I sent my students to solid stores - new, used, and repair services - that were also recommended by the other teachers and that we knew were frequented by professionals, such as wedding photographers. We always gave a choice of stores. We did no googling; it was all from personal experience. The students, or their parents, ended up choosing the actual store and product purchased.

-- hide signature --

"Knowledge is good." Emil Faber

Corkcampbell's gear list:Corkcampbell's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Sony RX100 III Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 +5 more
foggy
OP foggy Regular Member • Posts: 369
Re: You should help her with a new camera.

You made some good points..! At the time it was her last option and she did sent it in knowing it was broken and not usable or sellable. For her it would become a paperweight. Still she had hope. She knew I had no experience with this company. I'm trying with this thread to make others aware of her treatment so they know up front.

Foggy

foggy's gear list:foggy's gear list
Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma DP2 Merrill Sigma DP3 Merrill Canon EOS 60D Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM +7 more
tko Forum Pro • Posts: 12,576
Re: Trouble in trusting Cameras and Parts.com! With any camera with a collapsible lens.

A sad story. You were just trying to help, and she had no other options. Interesting outfit, they appear to be a major scam outfit, not just an incompetent repair site:

"BBB rating is based on 16 factors. Get the details about the factors considered.

Factors that lowered Cameras and Parts.com's rating include:

• Length of time business has been operating.
  • 37 complaints filed against business
  • Failure to respond to 7 complaints filed against business.
  • 2 complaints filed against business that were not resolved.
  • Business has failed to resolve underlying cause(s) of a pattern of complaints.
  • One serious complaint filed against business.

- See more at: http://www.bbb.org/elpaso/business-reviews/electronic-service-and-repair/cameras-and-partscom-in-el-paso-tx-99131342#sthash.8MdP8CkH.dpuf"

As a note to everyone: don't trust the 1st reviews you find on the web. Dig deeper, as reviews are easy to fake.

"http://cbrainard.blogspot.com/2014/01/reviews-and-feedback-re-cameras-and.html

If you read my earlier blog, you will know that I lost my camera and money in an internet scam. I sent my camera (Canon G12) and $89 payment to Cameras and Parts or CamerasAndParts.com last September, and despite repeated phone calls and emails, I never got my camera back.

Before dealing with them, I had checked the internet and found a lot of "positive" reviews/feedback about them, which made me trust them. Now I realize their employee(s) posted these positive reviews about CamerasAndParts.com in various sites and discussion groups. The accurate negative reviews are diluted by their false positive comments.

I've gathered some customers' complaints about Cameras and Parts so readers can consider more clearly what these people do to customers and be properly warned.

Their information, as listed in the Better Business Bureau, El Paso, TX, is:
Cameras and Parts.com
915-239-6199
1605 George Dieter, PO Box 574
El Paso, TX 79936

http://www.camerasandparts.com/ind.html#sthash.Y3Ux024f.dpuf http://www.camerasandparts.com/ind.html#sthash.Y3Ux024f.dpuf http://www.camerasandparts.com/ind.html#sthash.Y3Ux024f.dpuf http://www.camerasandparts.com

If you've already lost your camera and money to Cameras and Parts.com, file complaints to the Better Business Bureau of El Paso, TX, the US Postal Inspection Service, the Internet Crime Complaint Center, the Federal Trade Commission, call and report them to the El Paso, Texas Police Department, 1-915-832-4436, among others."

-- hide signature --

professional cynic and contrarian: don't take it personally

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads