Used 6D: what is a decent price and shutter count?

Started Jul 3, 2014 | Discussions
gossamer88
gossamer88 Regular Member • Posts: 268
Used 6D: what is a decent price and shutter count?

I want to go FF but $1699+ is out of my budget.

I've been scouring for a used 6D. One person on CL has one with 4000 shutter count and is asking for $1400.

What would you pay for a used 6D?

 gossamer88's gear list:gossamer88's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Tamron SP 70-200 F2.8 G2 Canon G9 X Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 35mm F2 IS USM +4 more
Canon EOS 6D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
stratobill Senior Member • Posts: 2,023
Re: Used 6D: what is a decent price and shutter count?

gossamer88 wrote:

I want to go FF but $1699+ is out of my budget.

I've been scouring for a used 6D. One person on CL has one with 4000 shutter count and is asking for $1400.

What would you pay for a used 6D?

Well, that is a nice low shutter count. Still I'd offer a bit less. If it were me.

 stratobill's gear list:stratobill's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS Rebel SL2 Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM +4 more
Jonathan Brady
Jonathan Brady Veteran Member • Posts: 6,314
Re: Used 6D: what is a decent price and shutter count?
1

I want to go FF but $1699+ is out of my budget.

I've been scouring for a used 6D. One person on CL has one with 4000 shutter count and is asking for $1400.

What would you pay for a used 6D?

They're sold out currently but will likely be restocked soon... You can get a refurb for $1291 plus tax from Canon which includes a good-as-new warranty for a year. So, same price (or less) than that CL offering but with a warranty. So, I expect used items to be cheaper than refurbs.
--
QUOTE: "Another conclusion: After having read a few hundred instances of “fanboy” references during research for this article, it’s clear to me that the word has lost whatever potency it might once have had as an insult. It’s too much of a cliché, too inappropriately dismissive, too likely to be tossed in as an ad hominem attack by someone who shows signs of extreme fanboyism himself."

In other words - takes one to know one. And you lack creativity.
http://gizmodo.com/5540818/the-fascinating-origin-of-the-word-fanboy

 Jonathan Brady's gear list:Jonathan Brady's gear list
Sony a9 Zeiss Batis 25mm F2 Zeiss Batis 85mm F1.8 Sony FE 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G OSS Sony FE 100mm F2.8 GM +2 more
whvick Veteran Member • Posts: 5,618
Re: Used 6D: what is a decent price and shutter count?
2

You should ck out the canon loyalty program!

They trade refurbs at even better prices for broken canon cameras. Any broken camera
Will do at
Least in the past
As a courtesy to the readership, here's Canon's Loyalty Program phone number: (866)-443-8002. It's toll free too.

 whvick's gear list:whvick's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 30D Canon EOS 50D Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5 USM +9 more
gossamer88
OP gossamer88 Regular Member • Posts: 268
Re: Used 6D: what is a decent price and shutter count?

Jonathan Brady wrote:

They're sold out currently but will likely be restocked soon... You can get a refurb for $1291 plus tax from Canon which includes a good-as-new warranty for a year. So, same price (or less) than that CL offering but with a warranty. So, I expect used items to be cheaper than refurbs.

I have checked the refurb, but will keep checking for sure. Thanks. Funny that they have an option to send a notification on other cameras, but not the 6D.

 gossamer88's gear list:gossamer88's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Tamron SP 70-200 F2.8 G2 Canon G9 X Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 35mm F2 IS USM +4 more
gossamer88
OP gossamer88 Regular Member • Posts: 268
Re: Used 6D: what is a decent price and shutter count?
1

whvick wrote:

You should ck out the canon loyalty program!

They trade refurbs at even better prices for broken canon cameras. Any broken camera
Will do at
Least in the past
As a courtesy to the readership, here's Canon's Loyalty Program phone number: (866)-443-8002. It's toll free too.

Will call for sure. Great idea! I believe I still have my Canon Digital Elph 400s somewhere...

 gossamer88's gear list:gossamer88's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Tamron SP 70-200 F2.8 G2 Canon G9 X Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 35mm F2 IS USM +4 more
Jonathan Brady
Jonathan Brady Veteran Member • Posts: 6,314
Re: Used 6D: what is a decent price and shutter count?

gossamer88 wrote:

Jonathan Brady wrote:

They're sold out currently but will likely be restocked soon... You can get a refurb for $1291 plus tax from Canon which includes a good-as-new warranty for a year. So, same price (or less) than that CL offering but with a warranty. So, I expect used items to be cheaper than refurbs.

I have checked the refurb, but will keep checking for sure. Thanks. Funny that they have an option to send a notification on other cameras, but not the 6D.

Here's your workaround

http://www.canonpricewatch.com/product/04039/Canon-EOS-6D-price.html

Click on "notify" and you can set your price threshold (for new and/or refurbished) below which, you'll receive an email notification that the product is in stock.  I've never seen the 6D more than 20% off of the refurb price  so if you set it too low, you'll never get notified!  lol  The current refurb price is $1291.32 including a 15% discount so I'd recommend setting the 6D refurb notification at $1300 if you want a 15% discount or set it at $1220 if you want a 20% discount (price would be $1215.36).  Obviously the 15% discounts come around more frequently so if you set it at 20% it may be a while before you get that email.  My suggestion is to set it at $1300 and if you're ready to buy when you get the email, go for it regardless of whether it's 15 or 20%.  It's only a difference of $75 which, over the life of the product, isn't very much.

Good luck!

-- hide signature --

QUOTE: "Another conclusion: After having read a few hundred instances of “fanboy” references during research for this article, it’s clear to me that the word has lost whatever potency it might once have had as an insult. It’s too much of a cliché, too inappropriately dismissive, too likely to be tossed in as an ad hominem attack by someone who shows signs of extreme fanboyism himself."
In other words - takes one to know one. And you lack creativity.
http://gizmodo.com/5540818/the-fascinating-origin-of-the-word-fanboy

 Jonathan Brady's gear list:Jonathan Brady's gear list
Sony a9 Zeiss Batis 25mm F2 Zeiss Batis 85mm F1.8 Sony FE 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G OSS Sony FE 100mm F2.8 GM +2 more
gossamer88
OP gossamer88 Regular Member • Posts: 268
Re: Used 6D: what is a decent price and shutter count?

Jonathan Brady wrote:

gossamer88 wrote:

Jonathan Brady wrote:

They're sold out currently but will likely be restocked soon... You can get a refurb for $1291 plus tax from Canon which includes a good-as-new warranty for a year. So, same price (or less) than that CL offering but with a warranty. So, I expect used items to be cheaper than refurbs.

I have checked the refurb, but will keep checking for sure. Thanks. Funny that they have an option to send a notification on other cameras, but not the 6D.

Here's your workaround

http://www.canonpricewatch.com/product/04039/Canon-EOS-6D-price.html

Click on "notify" and you can set your price threshold (for new and/or refurbished) below which, you'll receive an email notification that the product is in stock. I've never seen the 6D more than 20% off of the refurb price so if you set it too low, you'll never get notified! lol The current refurb price is $1291.32 including a 15% discount so I'd recommend setting the 6D refurb notification at $1300 if you want a 15% discount or set it at $1220 if you want a 20% discount (price would be $1215.36). Obviously the 15% discounts come around more frequently so if you set it at 20% it may be a while before you get that email. My suggestion is to set it at $1300 and if you're ready to buy when you get the email, go for it regardless of whether it's 15 or 20%. It's only a difference of $75 which, over the life of the product, isn't very much.

Good luck!

Thanks for the link. I also bookmarked the Canon 6D refurb site and will check daily.

 gossamer88's gear list:gossamer88's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Tamron SP 70-200 F2.8 G2 Canon G9 X Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 35mm F2 IS USM +4 more
l_d_allan
l_d_allan Veteran Member • Posts: 5,070
Re: Used 6D: what is a decent price and shutter count?

Jonathan Brady wrote:
They're sold out currently but will likely be restocked soon... You can get a refurb for ...

If you can be patient, we aren't that far from end-of-the-year / Black Friday specials.

There were some great prices on the 6d back in Nov/Dec 2013 when I got my 6d. I haven't seen better prices since, even though the camera has been out that much longer.

When I'm in the market for a Canon DSLR, I watch CanonRumors.com on a regular basis.

 l_d_allan's gear list:l_d_allan's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ47 Canon PowerShot S110 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 600D +28 more
gossamer88
OP gossamer88 Regular Member • Posts: 268
Re: Used 6D: what is a decent price and shutter count?

Being cautious, I found this app in the Mac App Store.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/eos-inspector/id835719094?mt=12

It has mostly positive reviews and I tested it with my T4i. Shows just over 2K actuations. Good tool to have if you're buying from CL for example. I would now bring my MBP with me to verify to actuations.

Does anyone use another shutter counter? Preferably Mac.

 gossamer88's gear list:gossamer88's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Tamron SP 70-200 F2.8 G2 Canon G9 X Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 35mm F2 IS USM +4 more
l_d_allan
l_d_allan Veteran Member • Posts: 5,070
Re: Used 6D: what is a decent price and shutter count?

gossamer88 wrote:
Does anyone use another shutter counter? Preferably Mac.

MagicLantern shows shutter activations, but I'd guess a seller would be unenthusiastic about installing ML.

I did use EosCount on older Digic-4 cameras, but I think it was Windows only. Or not?

 l_d_allan's gear list:l_d_allan's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ47 Canon PowerShot S110 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 600D +28 more
gossamer88
OP gossamer88 Regular Member • Posts: 268
Re: Used 6D: what is a decent price and shutter count?
1

So I pulled the trigger on a 6D!!

Went to B&H on my lunch break and my wallet became $2249 lighter!

I went with the kit lens (24-105mm f/4 L) and they threw a few accessories (SD card, monopod, bag and an extra battery). The website has the same extras but for $2499. If you go to the store it shows up $2249 in their system. With the current $200 rebate offer it comes out to $2049!

Needless to say I am totally stoked!!

 gossamer88's gear list:gossamer88's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Tamron SP 70-200 F2.8 G2 Canon G9 X Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 35mm F2 IS USM +4 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads