Any experience, problems, buying used Canon 430ex II?

Started Jul 3, 2014 | Questions
bugbait
bugbait Senior Member • Posts: 1,386

Any experience including problems, buying used Canon 430ex II speedlights?

I have one new and it is awesome, but will need about four ultimately so I am wondering what the odds are that if I buy the rest used that the white balance or High speed sync etc would be off.

Not buying Yongnuo etc, need accurate color balance between the flashes at varying distances outside for birds etc.

Anyone care to share their experience buying this or other fairly recent Canon branded flashes used?

ANSWER:
ScratchDisk Veteran Member • Posts: 3,492
Re: Any experience, problems, buying used Canon 430ex II?

Hi, My wife thinks I own half the European stock of old 550Ex Speedlites - she is wrong, just. All but one, pre-owned & they have been great with Odins since Nov 2011.

I know I'm tempting fate, but I've had zero problems!

I did stay with pristine looking units - and with Ebay vendors where the vibe was that they were very keen to maintain their near 100% positive feedback. The photos had to be good enough to allow checking of the fresnel and the foot (plastic, on a 550Ex). But maybe I've used up all my luck!

ScratchDisk's gear list:ScratchDisk's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS M5
selected answer This post was selected as the answer by the original poster.
bugbait
OP bugbait Senior Member • Posts: 1,386

Thank you ScratchDisk,

That is helpful information. I checked and the 550ex has the similar functions including HSS that I will be using. I will follow your eBay guidance. Surprising how few sellers bother to photograph them powered up.

Perhaps a few others might chime in with their experience too.

ScratchDisk wrote:

Hi, My wife thinks I own half the European stock of old 550Ex Speedlites - she is wrong, just. All but one, pre-owned & they have been great with Odins since Nov 2011.

I know I'm tempting fate, but I've had zero problems!

I did stay with pristine looking units - and with Ebay vendors where the vibe was that they were very keen to maintain their near 100% positive feedback. The photos had to be good enough to allow checking of the fresnel and the foot (plastic, on a 550Ex). But maybe I've used up all my luck!

akin_t Veteran Member • Posts: 3,174

bugbait wrote:

Any experience including problems, buying used Canon 430ex II speedlights?

I have one new and it is awesome, but will need about four ultimately so I am wondering what the odds are that if I buy the rest used that the white balance or High speed sync etc would be off.

Not buying Yongnuo etc, need accurate color balance between the flashes at varying distances outside for birds etc.

Anyone care to share their experience buying this or other fairly recent Canon branded flashes used?

Only reason to buy Canon branded flashes are E-TTL, HSS, 2nd Curtain, (that's all I can think of), they're overpriced and offer very little value you can get the same feature set from any manual flash.

With that being said, flash color will always vary with power level, it will always vary with physical temperature (i.e. how hot the filament is at that point) this is physics. Doesn't matter if it's Canon, Leica, or YongNuo, the filaments in each flash are all bound by the same laws of physics. It's basic electronics; therefore, the bolded statement is really a moot point.

I guarantee you that your $500 Canon 600EX-RT has the same color variation (between shots) as the $70 YN-560 III (or any other manual flash on the market), they all use the same filaments and are bound by the same laws of physics.

It's your money, buy what you want. I own the 430EX II too, and it's not any better than any of the manual flashes I own, it's nice for E-TTL and rear curtain though.

akin_t's gear list:akin_t's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Carl Zeiss Touit 1.8/32 +2 more
bugbait

akin-t, I am glad you have had good experience with your Yongnuo.

Without the HSS Rear Curtain Sync etc your $70 flash would not do what I need and Yongnuo etc with those features are a lot closer to the Canon price.

No doubt your knowledge of basic and advanced physics is superior to mine. But still about your point about the filaments, I have to disagree. With the current state of metallurgy the tolerances of metal elements, heat-syncs, voltage & wattage regulation is far more controllable to very tight tolerances with top of the line materials. But  again perhaps I am wrong in that.

I just tried to find a particular user review but failed, even though I read it just a couple months ago. A user a tested a similar spec model of Canon and 2 sample units of Yongnuo speed-lights and found color differences. Enough to return one soon after receiving it. He then did a studio test with an X-Rite chart as the subject and observed the histograms after adding a colored slide on filter, yellow I think, one matched well and the other was close enough. But as the subject was moved further away from the flashes the more color variance difference he experienced between the Canon and the other flashes. He decided to keep the Yongnuo units but as a back up and continued to buy he Canon branded for his studio. But still marveled at the of the YN and how far they had come in matching strengths.

bugbait
Thank you for the input folks, I just bought the 1st of a few used 430ex II.

Thank you for the input folks, I just bought the 1st of a few used 430ex II.

After rereading ScratchDisk's reply and getting a response from my favorite bird photographer, Glenn Bartley (he owns almost all used units in his half dozen 430ex II. I felt quite comfortable going with used at $202.34 usd out the door from Roberts via eBay.

By the way here is his website. I bought his Post Processing and Tropical Nature Photography books last night and there is an astonishing array of amazing images in there.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads