Measured Rolling-Shutter Speed of Many Common Video Cameras...

Started Jul 3, 2014 | Discussions
LingoDingo Senior Member • Posts: 1,743
Measured Rolling-Shutter Speed of Many Common Video Cameras...

Measuring Rolling Shutter: Put a Number on This Issue!

05.0 ms : Film

13.7 ms : Pansonic GH4 1080p

14.0 ms : RED Scarlet

14.0 ms : Sony F65

14.8 ms : Panasonic AF100

14.8 ms : Sony RX10

15.0 ms : Sony FS100

15.5 ms : Pansonic GH3

16.0 ms : Canon C300

16.6 ms : RED One MX

17.8 ms : Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera

20.5 ms : Canon 5D Mk3

21.0 ms : Canon 7D

22.4 ms : Nikon D5200

22.5 ms : Pansonic GH4 4K/UHD

25.0 ms : Blackmagic Camera

25.0 ms : Panasonic GH1

25.9 ms : Canon 5D Mk2

29.4 ms : Sony NEX-5N

30.5 ms : Sony A7s FF 1080p

33.0 ms : Nikon D90

LingoDingo's gear list:LingoDingo's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Panasonic GH5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 +23 more
Sean Nelson
Sean Nelson Forum Pro • Posts: 15,783
Re: Measured Rolling-Shutter Speed of Many Common Video Cameras...

LingoDingo wrote:

Interesting list, thanks for posting!

I've found rolling shutter on my GH3 videos to be less of an issue than I had feared.   I've recently been doing a number of train shots, and even with the train moving horizontally across the frame at a speed at which I though could cause trouble, it really wasn't noticeable.  Measurable, certainly, but not noticeable unless you're really looking for it.

So far the only place rolling shutter been an issue for me is when I have unintended rapid camera motion (and that's really my fault, not the camera's).   I stupidly bumped my tripod during one shot and I'm unable to fix it in post with simple software stabilization because the movement was so rapid that it caused a jello-like effect.  But even without the jello I would have had problems due to motion blur in the bumped frames.  So I'm either going to have to re-shoot (a big pain) or maybe I can get a little more creative...

Vesku Senior Member • Posts: 2,964

LingoDingo wrote:

I wonder if this is true. In my experience the difference is bigger.

With GH3 rolling shutter and jello is very visible when shooting 1080 at 300mm ex-tele handheld. With GH4 it is much less noticeable.

lancespring Veteran Member • Posts: 3,974
It is a non issue

People are lining up for the Sony A7s.   They cannot wait to get their hands on it.

lancespring's gear list:lancespring's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Nikon D600 +1 more
OP LingoDingo Senior Member • Posts: 1,743

Vesku wrote:

LingoDingo wrote:

I wonder if this is true. In my experience the difference is bigger.

With GH3 rolling shutter and jello is very visible when shooting 1080 at 300mm ex-tele handheld. With GH4 it is much less noticeable.

Samuel ( the author of the list ) has been collecting this info for a long time, and has posted instructions on how you can confirm his results in some of his many posts.

I suspect that any difference you see between the GH3 and GH4 with long lenses ( especially Lumix lenses ) stems from the more powerful electronics package in the GH4. Cameras have to do a lot of processing to obtain the finished recorded image, which is why Panasonic has been pushing it's expertise in 4K in-camera recording, an area where they currently have an edge over their competition. ( Canon and Nikon are going to need new faster camera processors to support in-camera 4K recording )

Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Panasonic GH5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 +23 more
Re: It is a non issue

lancespring wrote:

People are lining up for the Sony A7s. They cannot wait to get their hands on it.

Samuel ( the author of this rolling-shutter list ) expects to receive his own Sony A7S camera any day now. He has stated that he doesn't care if the A7S has one of the slowest rolling-shutter speeds, as his main concern is dynamic range where the A7S seems to hold the top spot.

I expect to see a dozen or more GH4 vs A7S reviews within the next month, which should help to clarify the pros and cons of each camera. Right now it looks like the A7S will be king of the hill for dynamic range and low-light shooting, while the GH4 is the front runner for maximum image detail, low rolling-shutter effects, very long battery life, and the ability to shoot 4K in-camera.

I already owned a bunch of GHx cameras, so the GH4 upgrade was a no-brainer for me, but I also own a five very good Nikon AI-S FF lenses ( and I'm adding two more lenses at the end of the month ) so I might pick-up an AS7 body to use with my legacy Nikon glass. I shoot commercially, so adding another body is not a big deal.

Vesku Senior Member • Posts: 2,964

LingoDingo wrote:

05.0 ms : Film

14.0 ms : RED Scarlet

14.0 ms : Sony F65

14.8 ms : Panasonic AF100

14.8 ms : Sony RX10

15.0 ms : Sony FS100

16.0 ms : Canon C300

16.6 ms : RED One MX

17.8 ms : Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera

20.5 ms : Canon 5D Mk3

21.0 ms : Canon 7D

22.4 ms : Nikon D5200

22.5 ms : Pansonic GH4 4K/UHD

25.0 ms : Blackmagic Camera

25.0 ms : Panasonic GH1

25.9 ms : Canon 5D Mk2

29.4 ms : Sony NEX-5N

30.5 ms : Sony A7s FF 1080p

33.0 ms : Nikon D90

By the way Nikon V1 has so fast sensor that it is almost impossible to get any rolling shutter with video or with photos by electronic shutter.

dixiewxgeek New Member • Posts: 7

Many thanks for posting the table of measured rolling shutter speeds.  Now with the newer version of Sony's RX-10 mk2, which does much faster video than the mk1, I am wondering if you have heard anything about what the mk2's rolling shutter speed is.

I haven't heard anything with regards to the RX10 Mk2, but all non-cine cameras show a fair bit of rolling-shutter distortion when shooting 4K, in some cases it's more than double the RS when shooting 1080p video.

Bernard Carns Senior Member • Posts: 1,228
Great list....really old.....

Do you have a newer one?

BC

Bernard Carns's gear list:Bernard Carns's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Canon EF-S 10-22mm F3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Nikon AF Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8D +3 more
Steven-T
Steven-T Veteran Member • Posts: 3,422
Re: Great list.... An updated version? Sony A7* series? /nt

Bernard Carns wrote:

Do you have a newer one?

BC

Steven-T's gear list:Steven-T's gear list
Leica M9 Sony a7R II +7 more
KrisAK Contributing Member • Posts: 841
Cinema5D also publishes RS tests....

Cinema5D routinely publishes comparisons, but you have to search for them under individual reviews.

(I do wish they'd keep a centralized database, and simply updated the list as new cameras are tested.)

Anyway, here's one for the A7R II:

https://www.cinema5d.com/sony-a7rii-rolling-shutter/

And the A7s:

https://www.cinema5d.com/rolling-shutter-sony-a7s-vs-arri-amira-canon-c300-5d-mark-iii-1dc-panasonic-gh4/

Re: Great list....really old.....

Bernard Carns wrote:

Do you have a newer one?

It's not my list, but it is updated from time to time. Near the top of my original post is a link to access the latest version of this list. Here's that link again...

Bernard Carns Senior Member • Posts: 1,228
Thx

BC

Bernard Carns's gear list:Bernard Carns's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Canon EF-S 10-22mm F3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Nikon AF Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8D +3 more
Jefbak
Jefbak Forum Member • Posts: 55

Do you think the rolling shutter for the c300 and c100mk1 or the same? I can't find a measurement for the c100 mk1 anywhere and I need it for SteadXP device calibration...

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads