What's the point of this forum?

Started Jul 3, 2014 | Discussions
stromaroma Senior Member • Posts: 1,158
What's the point of this forum?

Nikon has clearly shown its customers that it doesn't care about wildlife photographers so there will be no D300 replacement. This forum will die a slow painful death.

-- hide signature --
 stromaroma's gear list:stromaroma's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D7000 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G +1 more
Nikon D300
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Nikonicon Contributing Member • Posts: 675
Re: What's the point of this forum?

BC

Its here because there will be a new bike out soon.

Roger

-- hide signature --

Nikonicon
ex Nikonover

Nikonicon's gear list:Nikonicon's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D5200 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 10-24mm f/3-5-4.5G ED Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR +2 more
rhlpetrus Forum Pro • Posts: 24,840

Nikonicon wrote:

BC

Roger

-- hide signature --

Nikonicon
ex Nikonover

The D7200.

-- hide signature --

Renato.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rhlpedrosa/
OnExposure member
http://www.onexposure.net/
Good shooting and good luck
(after Ed Murrow)

rhlpetrus's gear list:rhlpetrus's gear list
Leica D-Lux (Typ 109) Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D7000 Nikon 1 Nikkor 10mm f/2.8 Nikon AF Nikkor 35mm f/2D +4 more
Michael
Michael Senior Member • Posts: 1,012

rhlpetrus wrote:

Nikonicon wrote:

BC

Roger

-- hide signature --

Nikonicon
ex Nikonover

The D7200.

-- hide signature --

Renato.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rhlpedrosa/
OnExposure member
http://www.onexposure.net/
Good shooting and good luck
(after Ed Murrow)

...or The D9300

SmM Regular Member • Posts: 109

Because ... except for my D300s, other people's DXXX DX cameras still continue to take photos when asked to :).

SmM's gear list:SmM's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D7000 Nikon D5500 Nikon D300S +10 more
SteveCooper
SteveCooper Contributing Member • Posts: 569

it is here for me- I bought a used D300s and love it

SteveCooper's gear list:SteveCooper's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix S100fs Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Nikon D300S Nikon D7200 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +8 more
mistermejia Veteran Member • Posts: 3,340
This forum will be for "classic" DX cameas :-)

stromaroma wrote:

Nikon has clearly shown its customers that it doesn't care about wildlife photographers so there will be no D300 replacement. This forum will die a slow painful death.

-- hide signature --

The D300 (is) a really really good camera, it just doesn't have as much resolution as the newer ones, but it still is what it is. I don't own it, but my dad does and i personally like the color output of the D300. The skin tone output is also very very good and from what i see, it is still better than the newer cameras, IMHO. To me the newer nikon DX bodies have this ODD and weird looking plastic look.

I am not buying any existing camera from nikon (for portrait shooting.) To me the output of current nikon bodies is just nasty, for my taste. For anything other than skin tones they are fantastic, but not for my needs, that's why i haven't bought one, not the D7100, and probably not even the D7200, UNLESS nikon does come up with a complete new sensor or a whole new process that has or mimics the output of a D300 or previous older bodies, but much more perfected and with more resolution. Other than that, I am not buying another nikon ever

For all you nikon hard core fans and for all the ones that can't move to a different system because of lens issues, my recommendation is to just keep your D300, and then just complement it with a newer body, perhaps the next model coming up. If it ain't broken why fix it?

That's what i have personally done. No matter how much more resolution and sharpness my Fuji XE1 has, i still like and prefer my much older S5 Pro because it just has some qualities that are priceless to me and cannot be match even the newer cameras.

Yeah, your D300 is only 12MP, but I bet that some day you might regret getting rid of it. In another words, just stop complaining and keep it because they don't make things like they used to, and just pair it up with another newer body. Just keep buying newer and better software and better glass. Maybe that will work for you.

mistermejia's gear list:mistermejia's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix S5 Pro Fujifilm X-E1 Rokinon 85mm F1.4 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +6 more
Kerry Pierce
MOD Kerry Pierce Forum Pro • Posts: 19,757

stromaroma wrote:

What you say, may well be true, or it may not. We simply don't have sufficient information to make a final determination as to whether or not there will be a d300 replacement. There is probably nobody more disappointed than I, that a viable replacement hasn't yet arrived. We have to deal with the missing camera best we can.

As to your Subject line question, the point of this forum is to provide a place for for users to discuss the cameras listed. The d300 replacement has no bearing on that. Yes, the forum may eventually die, but that is the way things go sometimes. Hopefully, we'll all have something better by then.

Kerry

-- hide signature --

When is it "Okay" to be mean, petty or unethical?
-
my gallery of so-so photos
http://www.pbase.com/kerrypierce/root

Kerry Pierce's gear list:Kerry Pierce's gear list
Nikon AF Nikkor 105mm f/2D DC Nikon AF Nikkor 135mm f/2D DC Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Sigma 120-300mm F2.8 EX DG HSM Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR +17 more
Apollo18
Apollo18 Senior Member • Posts: 1,317

stromaroma wrote:

-- hide signature --

As a wildlife photograhper, I thank Nikon for the D800. Just saying...

Of course, if a D400 appeared, I'd buy it.

Apollo18's gear list:Apollo18's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 18-35mm f/3.5-4.5G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-85mm F3.5-4.5G ED VR +3 more
dylanear Veteran Member • Posts: 3,374
If not here, where...

...would everyone complain about the lack of a D400??!!! 

But seriously, even if a new camera is never added to this forum, there are thousands and thousands of D100, D200, D300 cameras out there. And they will get used by someone for many years to come. So perhaps traffic here will slow a lot, but it still serves an important function.

stromaroma wrote:

-- hide signature --
 dylanear's gear list:dylanear's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon D700 Nikon D300 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus PEN E-P5 +4 more
n057 Veteran Member • Posts: 6,843

stromaroma wrote:

-- hide signature --

This forum is described as the forum for D100, D200, D300. Do you mean those will stop working because there is no D300 replacement?

JC
Some cameras, some lenses, some computers

n057's gear list:n057's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 995 Nikon D200 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G ED-IF +7 more
VadymA Senior Member • Posts: 1,268
Re: This forum will be for "classic" DX cameas :-)

mistermejia wrote:

stromaroma wrote:

-- hide signature --

The D300 (is) a really really good camera, it just doesn't have as much resolution as the newer ones, but it still is what it is. I don't own it, but my dad does and i personally like the color output of the D300. The skin tone output is also very very good and from what i see, it is still better than the newer cameras, IMHO. To me the newer nikon DX bodies have this ODD and weird looking plastic look.

I am not buying any existing camera from nikon (for portrait shooting.) To me the output of current nikon bodies is just nasty, for my taste.

I have similar feeling about modern Nikon cameras, I'm glad I'm not alone. Only for me it is not necessarily about the skin tones, but rather about "richness of color" as I would describe it. I remember a few years ago I was completely blown away by the quality of color in photos from D3 and D700 with D300 coming very close as well. There was something different, unreal, and "magical" in those colors that other cameras and brands didn't replicate so well.  Every time I saw a photo with those colors I thought "This is probably D3 or D700" and in most cases I was right. But now when I look at photos from D800/D600 I don't see that; the photos look too ordinary, too real, too like everything else out there. Yes they are sharp, sometime freakishly sharp though, but the magic of colors is gone. Like everyone else I will have to upgrade to a higher resolution body but I will keep my D300 and maybe will get a D3 or D700 when they drop in price a bit more just for the sake of keeping memory of something  that made me "fall in love" with Nikon in the first place.

VadymA's gear list:VadymA's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon 1 J5 Nikon AF-Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.4D Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX +7 more
seahawk
seahawk Senior Member • Posts: 2,763
Why painful?

People just move on.

-- hide signature --

hobby aviation photographer

OP stromaroma Senior Member • Posts: 1,158

VadymA wrote:

mistermejia wrote:

stromaroma wrote:

-- hide signature --

I am not buying any existing camera from nikon (for portrait shooting.) To me the output of current nikon bodies is just nasty, for my taste.

I have similar feeling about modern Nikon cameras, I'm glad I'm not alone. Only for me it is not necessarily about the skin tones, but rather about "richness of color" as I would describe it. I remember a few years ago I was completely blown away by the quality of color in photos from D3 and D700 with D300 coming very close as well. There was something different, unreal, and "magical" in those colors that other cameras and brands didn't replicate so well. Every time I saw a photo with those colors I thought "This is probably D3 or D700" and in most cases I was right. But now when I look at photos from D800/D600 I don't see that; the photos look too ordinary, too real, too like everything else out there. Yes they are sharp, sometime freakishly sharp though, but the magic of colors is gone. Like everyone else I will have to upgrade to a higher resolution body but I will keep my D300 and maybe will get a D3 or D700 when they drop in price a bit more just for the sake of keeping memory of something that made me "fall in love" with Nikon in the first place.

Yeah I was partially kidding with the thread title although if no new D300 comes this forum could be amalgamated with the other DX forum.

My D300 is nice and I'll still use it for wildlife because of the buffer but I really notice the noise at (not even) high ISO, now after getting a D610 the other week.

Also, I was blown away by the purples on some flowers the other day with the D610. I thought there is no way the camera was going to replicate the vividness but it did. I remember taking something like this with my D40x and they all turned out totally blah.

This is basically OOC with Standard setting..

-- hide signature --

stromaroma wrote:

Yeah I was partially kidding with the thread title although if no new D300 comes this forum could be amalgamated with the other DX forum.

http://markbc.net/

But ... why? What would that change/improve/whatever?

JC

Nikon Coolpix 995 Nikon D200 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G ED-IF +7 more
OP stromaroma Senior Member • Posts: 1,158

n057 wrote:

stromaroma wrote:

JC

Well it would hard to call the remaining DX cameras "pro" when the performance of the other supposedly lesser D700x's is better except for build quality and buffer size.

-- hide signature --

stromaroma wrote:

n057 wrote:

stromaroma wrote:

JC

Well it would hard to call the remaining DX cameras "pro" when the performance of the other supposedly lesser D700x's is better except for build quality and buffer size.

-- hide signature --

... and also except for frame rate, and focusing, and handling ...

As a comparison, the Df is not a D4 in spite of the upgraded sensor. All the D7xxx series have is an upgraded sensor. It is a fine camera, but it is not in the same vein as what is called "DX Pro". If the term "Pro" shocks you, too bad.

JC

JusLookN Veteran Member • Posts: 4,262
Re: Why painful?

It really is actually very good to still have this forum.  As it was with the Sony Forum, when the optical viewfinder cameras stopped being produced, you ended up with mostly newer users with newer cameras. Some of us still visit the forum and give advice, but our A-700,A-900, and such cameras are hardly a topic as you have here.  We asked for a separate forum, but the majority(newer camera group) would always voice there opinion that the older forum members could help more with one forum.  Keep things as you have them here and enjoy as I do here!  If it is not in your interest as others have mentioned, just keep traveling and don't make a pit stop to agitate. I would buy a D-400 in a heartbeat! (just saying!)

-- hide signature --

Glenn
I'm kinda partial to video, but I'm hangin!

JusLookN's gear list:JusLookN's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A900 Nikon D3S Sony Alpha DSLR-A100 Sony a77 II Nikon D500 +1 more
Rexgig0 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,087
Re: What's the point of Kodak SLR Talk & Olympus SLR Talk?

If members still shoot these cameras, and wish to discuss them, the forum section is viable.

-- hide signature --

I wear a badge and pistol, and make evidentiary images at night, which incorporates elements of portrait, macro, still life, landscape, architecture, and PJ. I enjoy using both Canons and Nikons.

Rexgig0's gear list:Rexgig0's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF 135mm F2L USM Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED +30 more
David Lal Veteran Member • Posts: 9,752
Silly post ...

stromaroma wrote:

-- hide signature --

.. and emotional language.

I'm very happy with my D300 and would not expect to 'upgrade' it for many a year. Here are a couple from last weekend using a Nik 300/F4. Perfectly fine enough for me (C&C NOT required):

White tailed eagle flying in Kent, UK

Peregrine falcon in flight

David

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads