Rainy Days and Macros

Started Jul 2, 2014 | User reviews
AdamT
AdamT Forum Pro • Posts: 60,768
Rainy Days and Macros

This is one of those lenses which ought to have been stellar given the original price and the size of it , in fact when it was first mentioned, no one could believe it was a cripplingly slow F6.3 at the 50mm end . the weird Powerzoom / manual zoom thing didn`t gain too many friends either, especially as those who shoot Video in anger would be using a Panasonic anyway not an Oly so where does it sit now ? ....

Well, these can be picked up for a bit over £100 on the used market, a fraction of the price it debuted at so a viable option for those wanting a lens for Rainy days and Macros where the lens excels . it`s the only weathersealed Power zoom lens so ideal for GH4 owners to shoot wide angle to short telephoto Vids in the rain from a tripod (Panny make nothing like this) or EM1/5 owners after a long ranging all weather lens to take anywhere... the Macro mode gets real close and is fixed at about 40mm (longer than they usually are) .

Performance wise, this will never be a resolution king but it has one major thing in its armoury - Consistency , even at F3.5 12mm the edges are as good as the centre , only the very extreme Corners are soft when converted in RAW with no distortion correction (this is best done manually in PT lens anyway as it gives you an effective 22mm FOV and mess-less edges but a narrower than 4:3 ratio) , the long end is even edge to edge too wideopen and pretty sharp which is a godsend for a system where Diffraction starts at F5.6 .

Resolution wise, it`s OK - no worse than the Panny 14-42 Mk1 & less distorted at the wide end and a lot better at 42mm, the wide end of the Oly 14-42-II MSC_R is better but not as wide and the long end of the 14-42 R lens hasn`t a good rep for sharpness . so Yup, it won`t break records for sharpness but it`s consistent and you won`t be sorry you left it on when the sun comes out .

So to Summarise .Probably the best all weather lens for GH4 Toting Video fans as it`s the perfect size, sealed and power zoom (freaky as its an Oly lens) but for those of us with Weatherproof OMDs , a lens for Rainy days and Macros which is now priced low enough to buy just for that on the used market ...

-- hide signature --

** Please ignore the Typos, I'm the world's worst Typist **

AdamT's gear list:AdamT's gear list
Sony RX10 III Nikon D610 Nikon D850 Panasonic Lumix DC-GX9
Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ
Zoom lens • Micro Four Thirds • V314040BU000
Announced: Dec 14, 2011
AdamT's score
Average community score
Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Ollie 2 Senior Member • Posts: 1,563
Re: Rainy Days and Macros

....always get me dooooooooown.

Yes, it's really not a good lens.

Ollie 2's gear list:Ollie 2's gear list
Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma DP2 Merrill Sigma DP3 Merrill Olympus PEN E-P2 Fujifilm X-Pro1 +20 more
richarddd
richarddd Veteran Member • Posts: 3,321

I think it's a perfectly decent lens, but not great. Shoot a comparison shot with a better lens (e.g., 12-40) and look closely and the difference is obvious. I wonder how many non-photographers looking under normal conditions (and not comparing to another lens) at a picture shot with it would notice its flaws.

-- hide signature --
 richarddd's gear list:richarddd's gear list
Sony RX100 III Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm F4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 +4 more
lambert4
lambert4 Senior Member • Posts: 2,335

I really liked this lens, the internal focus the macro/close-up ability the weather sealing and all around durability and feel.  The only complaint I had was clearly printed on the barrel, the slow aperture given that it was my go to in less than perfect weather, it came up too short for my uses.  I think it would be one of the better kit lens options and certainly the only one other than the high end weather sealed Lumix or Pro Olympus to compliment the weather sealed bodies available.

nice write up on an under appreciated lens, even I fell victim to since my primes were so spectacular.

-- hide signature --

Here's to learning something new everyday, and remembering it the next.

lambert4's gear list:lambert4's gear list
Nikon D500 Sigma 10-20mm F3.5 EX DC HSM Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm F4G ED VR Tamron SP 150-600mm F/5-6.3 Di VC USD Nikon 35mm F1.8G ED +3 more
AdamT
OP AdamT Forum Pro • Posts: 60,768

I think it's a perfectly decent lens, but not great. Shoot a comparison shot with a better lens (e.g., 12-40) and look closely and the difference is obvious.

Yep, agreed . it`s that its a Consistent lens across the frame and end to end which makes it Do-able , I hate those optics which are ultrasharp in the centre wideopen but the edges never get sharp even at F8 (usually one decentered edge taking up 1/4 of the frame) , the canon F2.8 16-35L is like that even on APS-C let alone FF - Give me consistency anyday  .

It`s good to have a weathersealed lens at this price, especially that you`d not regret using . even if it`s only used in the Rain and for Macros (which it does very well) it`s worth the £125 they can be had for , especially in the UK where it rains most of the time .

-- hide signature --

AdamT
OP AdamT Forum Pro • Posts: 60,768

around durability and feel. The only complaint I had was clearly printed on the barrel, the slow aperture

I was hoping it`d be F5.6 at 42mm negating the complaints versus the kit lenses (so the extra 8mm being a free bonus) but it`s not sadly , but then the 14-42-IIR isn`t sharp at 42mm by all accounts wideopen so maybe that should have been F6.3 ? .

nice write up on an under appreciated lens, even I fell victim to since my primes were so spectacular.

Thanks .

The title I thought summed its strengths and uses which no other kit lens (or any other lens period for M43 ) can match , even the fast expensive 12-40 area F2.8-ers are shorter & don`t do macro like that and the Panny isn`t sealed

-- hide signature --

Diane B Forum Pro • Posts: 20,700

Exactly.  I carry it as an extra in my small day bag just for circumstances like that and find it fine for those purposes.

-

Diane B
http://www.pbase.com/picnic
http://www.flickr.com/photos/38647240@N00/

Diane B's gear list:Diane B's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Apple iPhone XS Max +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads