RX100-III - Love it! But not impressed with bokeh(sample image)

Started Jul 1, 2014 | Discussions
Pepe-Lepue Senior Member • Posts: 1,942
RX100-III - Love it! But not impressed with bokeh(sample image)

I just received my RX100-III! And I am more than impressed! However everything must have compromises. And judging so far from my pedestrian shot the new RX100 has a bit of a busy background. Perhaps others are experiencing something better? Let me know.

-- hide signature --

'I am ze locksmith of love, no?'
Stephen Reed

Pepe-Lepue's gear list:Pepe-Lepue's gear list
Sony RX100 III Sony a6000 Sony E 30mm F3.5 Macro Sony Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* E 24mm F1.8 ZA Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS +5 more
Sony RX100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
h2odog
h2odog Senior Member • Posts: 1,225
Re: RX100-III - Love it! But not impressed with bokeh(sample image)

Pepe-Lepue wrote:

I just received my RX100-III! And I am more than impressed! However everything must have compromises. And judging so far from my pedestrian shot the new RX100 has a bit of a busy background. Perhaps others are experiencing something better? Let me know.

-- hide signature --

Stephen Reed

I don't have the III, but the II and if you just received it, give it a fair shot at varied shooting environments with many different setting applications. Shoot closeup, landscape, street, portraits, indoor with and without flash. Give it a chance. I think you will be very happy with it. Just one suggestion, if you use it indoors in low light, be aware of your ISO and shutter speed especially if you shoot telephoto so as not to incur blurred shots due to camera shake.

h2odog's gear list:h2odog's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Canon EOS Rebel SL2 Canon EF-S 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 IS STM Panasonic 20mm F1.7 II Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM +4 more
Wilx New Member • Posts: 3

For such a tiny camera, I'm impressed with the degree of shallow dof possible. Obviously it depends on subject distance, background distance & texture, composition etc. Green on green is never going to separate brilliantly.

David G. Sommers
David G. Sommers Contributing Member • Posts: 770

Well, I like what I'm getting . . .

From my wife's anniversary present.

I work with what the camera will do - sometimes that's good.

Bye.

David G. Sommers's gear list:David G. Sommers's gear list
Olympus Air
OP Pepe-Lepue Senior Member • Posts: 1,942

Well, I like what I'm getting . . .

From my wife's anniversary present.

I work with what the camera will do - sometimes that's good.

Bye.

I work with what the camera will do as well. But keep in mind that I have an a6000 with great prime lenses that produce far more pleasing bokeh. So now I'm focused on the limitations of the RX100 where my a6000 can take over if needed.

But DAMN I'm really liking this rx100!

-- hide signature --
Sony RX100 III Sony a6000 Sony E 30mm F3.5 Macro Sony Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* E 24mm F1.8 ZA Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS +5 more
chiane Veteran Member • Posts: 4,397

Mmmm, creamy as rocks!

dv312
dv312 Veteran Member • Posts: 7,337
tradeoff in life

Yes, these tiny sensors won't give you the butter smooth bokeh of say the FF , or the APSC, or even MFT sensors

I can only live with the bokeh from the MFT sensors or larger

It's one reason I sold my Mark I only after a few months of ownership

The DOF is just too aplenty , which is good for landscapes and macros but not other genres

If one buys a camera with a sensor that size one has to set the right expectations on DOF and bokeh

We cannot have it all

Saying so I'm still looking forward to the rumored LX8 but I won't bank on it that the bokeh will be better than that of the RX100 III

Cheers,

dv312's gear list:dv312's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS Fujifilm XF 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 R LM OIS WR Fujifilm XF 35mm F2 R WR +1 more
aaanouel
aaanouel Veteran Member • Posts: 5,107
EXIF?

For giving a valid opinion EXIF would be needed, which aperture did you use?

When overlapping camera performances, the differences between sensor sizes become evident: Bigger sensors produce better bokeh and swallower DOF than smaller ones, as expected.

-- hide signature --

aaanouel
Truth is a pathless land.
The dead past darkens the ever living present.
Corrections and critics are more than very welcome, desirables.

aaanouel's gear list:aaanouel's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-P73 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX100V Sony SLT-A65 Sony DT 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 Adobe Photoshop CS6 +21 more
phazelag
phazelag Veteran Member • Posts: 3,228
Re: EXIF?

aaanouel wrote:

For giving a valid opinion EXIF would be needed, which aperture did you use?

When overlapping camera performances, the differences between sensor sizes become evident: Bigger sensors produce better bokeh and swallower DOF than smaller ones, as expected.

-- hide signature --

aaanouel
Truth is a pathless land.
The dead past darkens the ever living present.
Corrections and critics are more than very welcome, desirables.

Agreed,

and getting closer to the flower would have created smoother bokeh.  The isnt the creamiest bokeh, but with the small sensor and not being able to focus close zoomed in to 70mm you not going to get alot of nice macro bokeh unless you can have your background a fair distance back.

phazelag's gear list:phazelag's gear list
Sony RX100 III Panasonic FZ1000 Canon G9 X II Canon EOS M50 Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM +2 more
John Gellings Senior Member • Posts: 3,710

1) Stop worrying about Bokeh so much.  I know its fashionable, but it's not the end product of a great photo.

2) You picked the wrong camera for "creamy" bokeh.

John Gellings's gear list:John Gellings's gear list
Fujifilm X100F Fujifilm X-T10 Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 +3 more
Stflbn Veteran Member • Posts: 3,352

Ya, I agree. When I saw his shot he posted I assume it's at a wide focal length and not even at the largest aperture.

Get close and have distance between your subject and the background. Bokeh 101

As soon as I get my rx100 iii that I just ordered I'll be putting it through it's paces compared to my :: gasp :: Full Frame Sony A99 and nice lenses.

and yes, I REALLY like bokeh.

-- hide signature --

Sony A99 | A77
Sigma 24-70 2.8 | 50 1.4 | 150 Macro
Tamron 70-200 2.8 USD
Sony 70-400 G
Vivitar 35 1.4 | 85 1.4

http://stufflebeanphotography.com

Stflbn's gear list:Stflbn's gear list
Sony RX100 V Sony RX10 IV Sony Alpha a7R II Sony FE 50mm F1.8 Sony FE 85mm F1.8 +2 more

John Gellings wrote:

1) Stop worrying about Bokeh so much. I know its fashionable, but it's not the end product of a great photo.

2) You picked the wrong camera for "creamy" bokeh.

I don't think I expressed too much concern over bokeh. But for some, this can be a real issue.

But see - I have an a6000 with bright Zeiss primes that solves my needs. And the RX100 III fleshes out my bag beautifully by adding a great compact zoom that surpasses any zoom currently available for the a6000.

But anyway; Nice bokeh is part of my preferences and my style (among others). And my message is intended for those who have such concern. Perhaps it's not good to suggest what is and isn't important for those who have different priorities than yours? And it's the right camera for me in the scope of my other gear and style. Just not as good for that one thing.

-- hide signature --

Stflbn wrote:

Ya, I agree. When I saw his shot he posted I assume it's at a wide focal length and not even at the largest aperture.

Get close and have distance between your subject and the background. Bokeh 101

As soon as I get my rx100 iii that I just ordered I'll be putting it through it's paces compared to my :: gasp :: Full Frame Sony A99 and nice lenses.

and yes, I love great bokeh!

Me too! And trust me that the RX100 III is a phenomenal addition to your bag! I'm one day in with mine and have been way impressed.

But yeah - It's not a camera that isolates it's subjects as well as our interchangeable lens solutions.

Shot with a6000 and SEL 50mm f1.8. JJust a pedestrian shot that I didn't have much time to compose (kids move quick)

-- hide signature --

Stephen Reed

http://www.pbase.com/domotang

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads