Tamron 150-600

Started Jun 27, 2014 | Discussions
SirSeth
SirSeth Veteran Member • Posts: 9,945
Re: Tamron 150-600

paulkienitz wrote:

Tom Lusk wrote:

by 600mm the lens isn't especially sharp at all

That statement plus the ample supply of PF noted, is enough to turn me off this lens.

A quality xmm-400mm zoom lens with a matched TC would possibly do better.

But note that this "isn't especially sharp" performance is still good enough to equal the Bigmos at 500mm, and therefore presumably the Bigma as well. I doubt it's possible to get a better 600mm under $3000.

The Pentax 600mm f5.6 is commonly less than $3000 used and surely better if one can live without AF.

That 600mm f5.6 and the Pentax 400mm f2.8 are on my dream lens list.  (as is the Nikkor 400mm f3.5--makes me want to get one for my Olympus E-1 since that body works really well for MF).

Cheers,

Seth

-- hide signature --

"A good photograph is knowing where to stand." -- Ansel

-- hide signature --

What if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about?
--
wallygoots.smugmug.com
wallygoots.blogspot.com

SirSeth's gear list:SirSeth's gear list
Olympus E-1 Sony Alpha a7 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Olympus Zuiko Digital 11-22mm 1:2.8-3.5 Sony FE 28-70mm F3.5-5.6 OSS +4 more
Tom Lusk Senior Member • Posts: 1,552

That photo could have been great using a better quality lens.

As it is, I would not consider it a keeper unless someone more skilled than me could process it to an acceptable level.

Different photographers have different standards, though. Whoever took this shot might be quite satisfied with it.

solarider Veteran Member • Posts: 4,639
Tamron: Are you guys asleep or awake?

I'm sure that Tamron is not unaware of the K5II/IIs and K3 as terrific cameras, especially now that K3 has pumped it up to 24MP. Just a matter of do they think enough Pentax shooters are out there and that we'll buy one.

Geez, if anything, this is the one lens we'd buy big time. Tamron, are you guys asleep-zzzzzzzzzz or awake?

yesman12 wrote:

I see that DP and others have excellent reviews of the Tamron 150-600. I also was shooting birds at a nearby sanctuary (with ironically my newly acquired Tamron 400 f4 adaptall 2) and another person had the 150-600 on a Nikon D7100. I was pretty impressed with what I saw and liked better than my shots (I was using the K5 so might have been resolution difference).

I wish Tamron would support K mount.

-- hide signature --

A picture is worth a thousand words but talk is cheap.
Best regards
Nick

-- hide signature --

The intuitive mind is a sacred gift, the rational mind is a faithful servant.
We have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift. - Albert Einstein

When? hell if I know, but a zoom>400mm Pentax lens is-coming.

Tom Lusk wrote:

by 600mm the lens isn't especially sharp at all

That statement plus the ample supply of PF noted, is enough to turn me off this lens.

A quality xmm-400mm zoom lens with a matched TC would possibly do better.

-- hide signature --

We have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift. - Albert Einstein

DAVID MANZE Veteran Member • Posts: 4,976

SirSeth wrote;

The Pentax 600mm f5.6 is commonly less than $3000 used and surely better if one can live without AF.

That 600mm f5.6 and the Pentax 400mm f2.8 are on my dream lens list. (as is the Nikkor 400mm f3.5--makes me want to get one for my Olympus E-1 since that body works really well for MF).

Cheers,

Seth

-- hide signature --

If one can live without AF?  that makes for a limited usage lens, birds on branches and other stationary subjects and for only nearly two grand more. The Tamron, a versatile zoom "reality lens" taking birds in flight photos and others at a variety of focal lengths instead of one's you are dreaming about!

Dave's clichés

DAVID MANZE's gear list:DAVID MANZE's gear list
Nikon D750 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF Nikkor 24mm f/2.8D Nikon AF Nikkor 28mm f/2.8D +16 more
"Everything looked soft"

In a nutshell & paraphrased: "With the Tamron, everything looked soft... as opposed to the 400mm/+1.4tc everything was sharp".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fmMG5jgDwk#t=670

-- hide signature --

jeanphilippe Goube Senior Member • Posts: 1,868
Re: Tamron: Are you guys asleep or awake?

Even if Tamron doesn't support K mount for this lens, if this lens is so good, Sigma will not sell any bigma or 150-500 lens, as the extra 100 mm at the long end will certainly seduce most customers. You can be sure that there will be a response from Sigma, with a new lens that will be competitive with this one, and this lens will be available in Pentax mount

-- hide signature --

jpgoube

jeanphilippe Goube's gear list:jeanphilippe Goube's gear list
Nikon AF-S Nikkor 800mm f/5.6E FL ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 400mm f/2.8E FL ED VR Pentax Q Nikon D500 Nikon D850 +12 more
Petroglyph
Petroglyph Veteran Member • Posts: 6,049

jeanphilippe Goube wrote:

Even if Tamron doesn't support K mount for this lens, if this lens is so good, Sigma will not sell any bigma or 150-500 lens, as the extra 100 mm at the long end will certainly seduce most customers. You can be sure that there will be a response from Sigma, with a new lens that will be competitive with this one, and this lens will be available in Pentax mount

-- hide signature --

jpgoube

We can't really be sure of that but it is a good thought.  Sigma could also think K mount users are trapped to buy the "Bigma" since Tamron don't offer their consumer grade 500 or 600 zoom in K-mount, so Sigma don't have to make a new one in K for Sigma brand either.

Cheers.

Petroglyph's gear list:Petroglyph's gear list
Sony Alpha a7R II Sony FE 90mm F2.8 macro Rokinon 135mm F2.0 Samyang 20mm F1.8
jay_akita Regular Member • Posts: 252

-- hide signature --

jpgoube

Sigma did drop the price on their 150-500 after the Tamron was released, not sure if they did the same to the Bigma or not?

awaldram
awaldram Forum Pro • Posts: 13,146

Petroglyph wrote:

-- hide signature --

jpgoube

We can't really be sure of that but it is a good thought. Sigma could also think K mount users are trapped to buy the "Bigma" since Tamron don't offer their consumer grade 500 or 600 zoom in K-mount, so Sigma don't have to make a new one in K for Sigma brand either.

Cheers.

Having looked at the tamron in to 500-600 range I think it barley competes with the 150-500 Sigma but not the Bigma.

The Bigma is noticeably sharper with higher contrast and centre resolution  @500 than the Tarmon so much so I'm confident the Bigma digitaly zoomed to 600mm would still have better acuity than the Tamron

The Tamron seems able to produce above average results up to around 400mm and then goes downhill rapidly, The 'examples' posted here extolling the Tamrons virtues wide open @600mm seem to be doing the opposite confirming its relatively weak (even in it price range) performance at the long end.

Even considering it's extended zoom range there appears better options for all focal ranges this lens covers at equivalent price point in PK

I see no reason for Tamron to consider a PK mount version nor Sigma to react with any changes to the current Bigma

awaldram's gear list:awaldram's gear list
Pentax K-x Pentax Q Olympus PEN E-PM2 Pentax Q7 Pentax K-3 +17 more
Unexpresivecanvas Senior Member • Posts: 1,158

awaldram wrote:

Having looked at the tamron in to 500-600 range I think it barley competes with the 150-500 Sigma but not the Bigma.

The Bigma is noticeably sharper with higher contrast and centre resolution @500 than the Tarmon so much so I'm confident the Bigma digitaly zoomed to 600mm would still have better acuity than the Tamron

I understand your opinion comes from first hand experience with both lenses. Do you mind sharing the images taken by yourself that support your conclusions?  Or is this couch internet testing?

awaldram wrote:

Petroglyph wrote:

-- hide signature --

jpgoube

We can't really be sure of that but it is a good thought. Sigma could also think K mount users are trapped to buy the "Bigma" since Tamron don't offer their consumer grade 500 or 600 zoom in K-mount, so Sigma don't have to make a new one in K for Sigma brand either.

Cheers.

The Bigma is noticeably sharper with higher contrast and centre resolution @500 than the Tarmon so much so I'm confident the Bigma digitaly zoomed to 600mm would still have better acuity than the Tamron

The Tamron seems able to produce above average results up to around 400mm and then goes downhill rapidly, The 'examples' posted here extolling the Tamrons virtues wide open @600mm seem to be doing the opposite confirming its relatively weak (even in it price range) performance at the long end.

Even considering it's extended zoom range there appears better options for all focal ranges this lens covers at equivalent price point in PK

I see no reason for Tamron to consider a PK mount version nor Sigma to react with any changes to the current Bigma

-- hide signature --

Hi Awaldram,

I have had the Sigma 50-500mm APO F4/6.3 EX (S/H) non HSM lens for a few weeks now which according to general opinion and LensTip is a slightly better performer than the 150-500mm version. I find it pretty sharp @500mm from F8-11, enough to make A3 prints, providing you don't do too much cropping.

LensTip has also reviewed the Tamron 150-600mm just recently and according to their comparison the Tamron is the sharper lens and by a decent margin, however they do say (like I find with my Sigma) it is a bit soft fully open at the long end. The photo posted here of the colourful bird on the orange fruited branch was taken at F6.3 and therefore is showing the lens in it's worst light.

This link; http://www.sumeetmoghe.com/2014/02/field-testing-bigron-aka-tamron-150.html

shows the lens in a far better light and looking at the images posted there to me it beats the my Sigma and as LensTip says, by some margin.

I assume what people are calling the Bigma here is the Sigma 500 F4.5 which is by all accounts is a very desirable and sharp but expensive lens, not being a zoom and having an aperture of F4.5 it is at a considerable advantage over the two Sigma zooms mentioned.

The bottom line is that there is not exactly a huge choice of lenses that cover that focal zoom range in Canikon and the ones that are there are way more expensive often being beyond the means of many photographers, ( let's hope that it comes out in the Pentax mount) .  So I feel it is better to welcome the little that we photographers are offered with open arms than to be too critical especially when it betters the price/performance wise what is out there at the moment.

Dave's clichés

Nikon D750 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF Nikkor 24mm f/2.8D Nikon AF Nikkor 28mm f/2.8D +16 more
Ian Stuart Forsyth
Ian Stuart Forsyth Veteran Member • Posts: 3,198

DAVID MANZE wrote:

awaldram wrote:

Petroglyph wrote:

-- hide signature --

jpgoube

Cheers.

-- hide signature --

Hi Awaldram,

I have had the Sigma 50-500mm APO F4/6.3 EX (S/H) non HSM lens for a few weeks now which according to general opinion and LensTip is a slightly better performer than the 150-500mm version. I find it pretty sharp @500mm from F8-11, enough to make A3 prints, providing you don't do too much cropping.

LensTip has also reviewed the Tamron 150-600mm just recently and according to their comparison the Tamron is the sharper lens and by a decent margin, however they do say (like I find with my Sigma) it is a bit soft fully open at the long end. The photo posted here of the colourful bird on the orange fruited branch was taken at F6.3 and therefore is showing the lens in it's worst light.

Here you can see how nice this lens even performs when compared to the sigma's

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/ISO-12233-Sample-Crops.aspx?Lens=929&Camera=453&Sample=0&FLI=4&API=0&LensComp=939&CameraComp=453&SampleComp=0&FLIComp=7&APIComp=1

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/ISO-12233-Sample-Crops.aspx?Lens=929&Camera=453&Sample=0&FLI=4&API=0&LensComp=683&CameraComp=453&SampleComp=0&FLIComp=5&APIComp=0

This link; http://www.sumeetmoghe.com/2014/02/field-testing-bigron-aka-tamron-150.html

shows the lens in a far better light and looking at the images posted there to me it beats the my Sigma and as LensTip says, by some margin.

I assume what people are calling the Bigma here is the Sigma 500 F4.5 which is by all accounts is a very desirable and sharp but expensive lens, not being a zoom and having an aperture of F4.5 it is at a considerable advantage over the two Sigma zooms mentioned.

The bottom line is that there is not exactly a huge choice of lenses that cover that focal zoom range in Canikon and the ones that are there are way more expensive often being beyond the means of many photographers, ( let's hope that it comes out in the Pentax mount) . So I feel it is better to welcome the little that we photographers are offered with open arms than to be too critical especially when it betters the price/performance wise what is out there at the moment.

Dave's clichés

-- hide signature --

The Camera is only a tool, photography is deciding how to use it.
The hardest part about capturing wildlife is not the photographing portion; it’s getting them to sign a model release

Ian Stuart Forsyth's gear list:Ian Stuart Forsyth's gear list
Nikon PC-E Nikkor 45mm f/2.8D ED Pentax *ist DS Pentax K10D Pentax K20D Pentax K-7 +24 more
Petroglyph
Petroglyph Veteran Member • Posts: 6,049

DAVID MANZE wrote:

-- hide signature --

Hi Awaldram,

I think they refer to the 50-500 as the "Bigma" but maybe I was wrong all along.  Yes, from everything I've read the Sigma 500mm f/4.5 is the K-mount 500 you want if you've got the bucks, muscles etc.

The bottom line is that there is not exactly a huge choice of lenses that cover that focal zoom range in Canikon and the ones that are there are way more expensive often being beyond the means of many photographers, ( let's hope that it comes out in the Pentax mount) . So I feel it is better to welcome the little that we photographers are offered with open arms than to be too critical especially when it betters the price/performance wise what is out there at the moment.

Dave's clichés

Petroglyph's gear list:Petroglyph's gear list
Sony Alpha a7R II Sony FE 90mm F2.8 macro Rokinon 135mm F2.0 Samyang 20mm F1.8

Ian Stuart Forsyth wrote:

DAVID MANZE wrote:

awaldram wrote:

Petroglyph wrote:

-- hide signature --

jpgoube

Cheers.

-- hide signature --

Hi Awaldram,

Here you can see how nice this lens even performs when compared to the sigma's

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/ISO-12233-Sample-Crops.aspx?Lens=929&Camera=453&Sample=0&FLI=4&API=0&LensComp=939&CameraComp=453&SampleComp=0&FLIComp=7&APIComp=1

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/ISO-12233-Sample-Crops.aspx?Lens=929&Camera=453&Sample=0&FLI=4&API=0&LensComp=683&CameraComp=453&SampleComp=0&FLIComp=5&APIComp=0

Dave's clichés

-- hide signature --

The Camera is only a tool, photography is deciding how to use it.
The hardest part about capturing wildlife is not the photographing portion; it’s getting them to sign a model release

-- hide signature --

I can't get your links to show anything other than 500mm@ F6.3 on Canon FF, will try again later.

However LensTip Link;

http://www.lenstip.com/403.4-Lens_review-Tamron_SP_150-600_mm_f_5-6.3_Di_VC_USD_Image_resolution.html

this shows the Tamron to be sharper@ 600mm  than the Sigma 50-500 @500, sorry you would have to manually look up the Sigma 50-500 at Lentip.

Dave's clichés

paulkienitz
paulkienitz Veteran Member • Posts: 5,281

paulkienitz wrote:

Me too, I'd buy this lens instantaneously if it were in K-mount.

I just ordered a Sigma 150-500.  Sorry, Tamron, you could have had my $900.

paulkienitz's gear list:paulkienitz's gear list
Pentax Q Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED Pentax smc DA* 300mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Samyang 8mm F3.5 Aspherical IF MC Fisheye +4 more
SirSeth

What do you think could have been better with a better lens Tom? Contrast and sharpness look good. What else is the domain of the lens?

Best,

Seth

-- hide signature --

--
wallygoots.smugmug.com
wallygoots.blogspot.com

Olympus E-1 Sony Alpha a7 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Olympus Zuiko Digital 11-22mm 1:2.8-3.5 Sony FE 28-70mm F3.5-5.6 OSS +4 more
SirSeth
Reality Lens

I'm not sure what you mean by "reality lens" being that the ones I mentioned actually fit a Pentax camera. I've never owned a very long auto-focus lens. I'd like to, but the ones I dream about (the 400mm and 600mm) might be closer to my price range due to the lack of AF and currently my longest lens I make do with. Here are a few with my Tamron SP 300mm f2.8. Would I get better shots with a modern AF lens? Probably. But I definitely can't afford the Pentax 560mm f5.6.

-- hide signature --

--
wallygoots.smugmug.com
wallygoots.blogspot.com

Tom Lusk Senior Member • Posts: 1,552

Hi Seth:

On my monitor the shot shows as very soft overall.

If it is a major crop (60-70%), it might be all right. But if it is anywhere near full frame, it would be disappointing - to me.

SirSeth

Thanks Tom,

It does look like a crop because the loup doesn't really do much enlargement, but I'm not sure exactly how the photographer downsized or cropped when posting.

On my monitor, it looks very acceptably sharp. It's not sharp so as to say "wow, that's sharp!" at first blush, but neither did I notice lack of sharpness right off... even with pixel peeping I don't think it's mushy, or unsharp. I do wonder what sharpening the photographer did on the image and what I would say if I saw it on your screen.

Best,

Seth

-- hide signature --

--
wallygoots.smugmug.com
wallygoots.blogspot.com

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads