anybody tried both zeiss touit 12mm and samyang 12mm?

Started Jun 24, 2014 | Discussions
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
narddogg81 Senior Member • Posts: 1,029
anybody tried both zeiss touit 12mm and samyang 12mm?

Trying to decide if the Zeiss is any better optically. The only side by side ive seen anywhere suggests that the samyang may actually be sharper and better in the corners.  Hard to find good data on this lens.  anybody here used both?

http://petapixel.com/2014/06/04/review-rokinon-12mm-f2-0-great-option-astrophotogs-budget/

manual focus is no big deal this wide, dont care about the name on the lens.

TriniArt2 Regular Member • Posts: 440
Re: anybody tried both zeiss touit 12mm and samyang 12mm?

Difficult to imagine someone having both lenses (unless they rent one to try).

I have the Rokinon and can't imagine the Zeiss being better at F4, 5.6, F8 because

my copy is excellent at those f-stops. I would expect the Zeiss to have the edge in CA etc, but not sharpness.

As manual focus is not an issue, I'd just get the Samyang/Rokinon...also due to price.

See my posts for some samples.

Hope this helps.

 TriniArt2's gear list:TriniArt2's gear list
Canon EOS 550D Sony Alpha 7R Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Rokinon 35mm F1.4 +11 more
wb2trf Senior Member • Posts: 2,409
Re: anybody tried both zeiss touit 12mm and samyang 12mm?

Since that review seemed fairly carefully done and comprehensive, it looks like you're just having difficulty believing it.  I own the Rok (only) and don't find it surprising.  It is very sharp, very good IQ and overall a lovely, compact, high quality lens.

I would say it comes down to MF vs price, maybe f stop but less likely that for most people.  While dof is huge at this focal length, that does not equal being able to ignore the need to think about focus.  If I could have it AF for free I would take it, but the MF is not challenging the way it can be for a long lens. The images are great.

Michael Everett Senior Member • Posts: 1,929
Re: anybody tried both zeiss touit 12mm and samyang 12mm?
3

I also have the Rokinon (same as Samyang) and find it a superb lens optically.  It is also very well built.  I like having an f2.0 lens for interiors.  As far as AF I see no need for it at this FL.  It is not a problem focusing manually and once you get to f4 or so you can almost set it and forget it unless you are focusing on something quite close.

It's hard to imagine that the Touit would give any advantage, and I have the Touit 32.

My advice save your money and with the difference buy another lens, or maybe something for your wife, if you are married.  That would do more to help your photography than anything else.

Michael

federra New Member • Posts: 20
Re: anybody tried both zeiss touit 12mm and samyang 12mm?
1

What af provides other than convenience is the exif data recording and easier lens correction in LR if you do any PP.

 federra's gear list:federra's gear list
Canon EOS 50D Sony a6000 Nikon D810 Sony Alpha 7 II Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM +10 more
Michael Everett Senior Member • Posts: 1,929
Re: anybody tried both zeiss touit 12mm and samyang 12mm?

federra wrote:

What af provides other than convenience is the exif data recording and easier lens correction in LR if you do any PP.

Good points.  Because of the distinctive look it gives, I know when I have used the lens, but of course it won't record f-stops.  For this lens it's not a big deal for me.  Profile correction is of course another matter.  I guess it depends on how much that is worth to you.

Michael

narddogg81 OP Senior Member • Posts: 1,029
Re: anybody tried both zeiss touit 12mm and samyang 12mm?

wb2trf wrote:

Since that review seemed fairly carefully done and comprehensive, it looks like you're just having difficulty believing it. I own the Rok (only) and don't find it surprising. It is very sharp, very good IQ and overall a lovely, compact, high quality lens.

I would say it comes down to MF vs price, maybe f stop but less likely that for most people. While dof is huge at this focal length, that does not equal being able to ignore the need to think about focus. If I could have it AF for free I would take it, but the MF is not challenging the way it can be for a long lens. The images are great.

its more a matter of is that a good copy of the samyang and a bad copy of the zeiss or something.  money is not really an issue, im interested in resolution and the best IQ i can get, as i print big landscapes alot, and shitty corners are a distraction on large landscape prints.  lack of sharpness across the frame is not really something you can fix with processing.  Im pretty much convinced i want the samyang regardless now, as it would be a fantastic night photography lens if nothing else.  im also thinking of maybe getting one of those canon ef to emount smart adapters and picking up a canon 10-18 stm .  From what i read, that thing is the tits, optically speaking, despite being a cheap all plastic affair.  i like the idea of the zoom for versatility and the prime for absolute quality and night shots.

viking79
viking79 Forum Pro • Posts: 14,137
Re: anybody tried both zeiss touit 12mm and samyang 12mm?

narddogg81 wrote:

wb2trf wrote:

Since that review seemed fairly carefully done and comprehensive, it looks like you're just having difficulty believing it. I own the Rok (only) and don't find it surprising. It is very sharp, very good IQ and overall a lovely, compact, high quality lens.

I would say it comes down to MF vs price, maybe f stop but less likely that for most people. While dof is huge at this focal length, that does not equal being able to ignore the need to think about focus. If I could have it AF for free I would take it, but the MF is not challenging the way it can be for a long lens. The images are great.

its more a matter of is that a good copy of the samyang and a bad copy of the zeiss or something. money is not really an issue, im interested in resolution and the best IQ i can get, as i print big landscapes alot, and shitty corners are a distraction on large landscape prints. lack of sharpness across the frame is not really something you can fix with processing. Im pretty much convinced i want the samyang regardless now, as it would be a fantastic night photography lens if nothing else. im also thinking of maybe getting one of those canon ef to emount smart adapters and picking up a canon 10-18 stm . From what i read, that thing is the tits, optically speaking, despite being a cheap all plastic affair. i like the idea of the zoom for versatility and the prime for absolute quality and night shots.

For 12mm the manual focus will be nice for night shots.  Otherwise I like AF (quick and hard to tell if it is actually in focus or not manually unless you zoom way in, but often I am setting on infinity and leaving it, where the MF lens is better).

I haven't used the Rokinon yet, but would like to. The ZEISS is great as well. The ZEISS produces nice star bursts, but is also susceptible to flare for just out of frame light sources. I don't know how the Rokinon does.

Here is my review of the ZEISS on Fuji: http://erphotoreview.com/wordpress/?p=3835

If you can still get the ZEISS 32 and 12mm combined for $920, that deal would tempt me a lot. I imagine the f/2 is really only going to be useful for astro photos, etc. Honestly I shoot most ultra wide lenses at f/7.1 most of the time.

Eric

 viking79's gear list:viking79's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R Samsung NX1 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 85mm F1.4 ED SSA Samsung NX 60mm F2.8 Macro ED OIS SSA +5 more
Waardij Forum Member • Posts: 68
Re: anybody tried both zeiss touit 12mm and samyang 12mm?

To me the comparison shown is faulty. if you look at the top examples for the center, there is clear and sharp noise in the shadows. in the example of the Zeiss lens nothing is sharp, also the noise is vague and cloudy. the Samyang results look like sharpened RAW files, the Zeiss results look like poor jpeg. nothing to do with the lens.

MrT-Man Senior Member • Posts: 1,168
Re: anybody tried both zeiss touit 12mm and samyang 12mm?

One thing I haven't seen is a comparison of color/contrast between the Touit and the Samyang. That's often an area where Zeiss lenses stand out, though that may or may not be the case here (relative to the Samyang).

 MrT-Man's gear list:MrT-Man's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R II Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 35mm F1.4 Zeiss Batis 25mm F2 Zeiss Batis 85mm F1.8 +4 more
alang12 New Member • Posts: 1
Re: anybody tried both zeiss touit 12mm and samyang 12mm?

MrT-Man wrote:

One thing I haven't seen is a comparison of color/contrast between the Touit and the Samyang. That's often an area where Zeiss lenses stand out, though that may or may not be the case here (relative to the Samyang).

I bought the Rokinion, shot a quite a few pictures with it and was really disappointed. Optically is was blurry. To double check, I took a series of photos at different f stops and didn't get a sharp image until above F8. Maybe I got a bad one, but I returned the lens and bought the Zeiss. The Zeiss is fantastic. It's sharp all the way open and no distortion and the contrast is amazing. Generally, you get what you pay for.

Ionlab Forum Member • Posts: 89
Re: anybody tried both zeiss touit 12mm and samyang 12mm?
2

Are we jumping to generalisations are we!!!! You get what you pay for?....Optically blurry? Did you use the guide on the ring to focus? Because that is the only way a non defective lens could be blurry. Generally you focus at the hyperfocal distance (3,61m) and everything from 1,8m - inf is in focus.

I get that you are trying to justify that the price that you paid for the Zeiss is really worth it but you 'd be better choosing another aspect to compare like maybe CA, microcontrast, colors? But sharpness when it is well established that this is one of the sharpest lenses!!! And not only that but other MF Samyang lenses as well.

You could have asked for a replacement before jumping to conclusions

 Ionlab's gear list:Ionlab's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-P200 Sony a6000 Sony Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* E 24mm F1.8 ZA Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS +9 more
mcslsk Senior Member • Posts: 2,169
Re: anybody tried both zeiss touit 12mm and samyang 12mm?

My copy of the Samyang has excellent sharpness.

 mcslsk's gear list:mcslsk's gear list
Sony RX100 III Sony Alpha 7R II Canon EF 70-200mm f/4.0L USM Sony 85mm F2.8 SAM Voigtlander 15mm F4.5 Super Wide Heliar +24 more
AdVeen
AdVeen Contributing Member • Posts: 604
Re: anybody tried both zeiss touit 12mm and samyang 12mm?

I have the Touit 12 and I am really happy with it. At the time I bought it I just saved up for the Samyang/Rok 12, but saw a halfprice deal at an internet store (took about 20 minutes to being sold out). Price difference being just 130 euro then, I went for the Zeiss.

 AdVeen's gear list:AdVeen's gear list
Sony a5000 Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Carl Zeiss Touit 2.8/12 +2 more
Euell Senior Member • Posts: 1,942
Re: anybody tried both zeiss touit 12mm and samyang 12mm?

The Rokinon seems like a very interesting lens. It is faster than the Zeiss, but has no autofocus. I have the Zeiss and I think you would be satisfied with the image quality, even if the Rokinon may be somewhat sharper wide open.  If MF is ok for your applications, the price difference also suggests the Rokinon. However, AF can be darn handy and I wouldn't swap my Zeiss for the Rokinon.

 Euell's gear list:Euell's gear list
Sony RX100 Canon EOS 7D Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony a6000 +15 more
mcslsk Senior Member • Posts: 2,169
Re: anybody tried both zeiss touit 12mm and samyang 12mm?

There is a profile in LR.

 mcslsk's gear list:mcslsk's gear list
Sony RX100 III Sony Alpha 7R II Canon EF 70-200mm f/4.0L USM Sony 85mm F2.8 SAM Voigtlander 15mm F4.5 Super Wide Heliar +24 more
rayrik Regular Member • Posts: 224
Re: anybody tried both zeiss touit 12mm and samyang 12mm?

Euell wrote:

The Rokinon seems like a very interesting lens. It is faster than the Zeiss, but has no autofocus. I have the Zeiss and I think you would be satisfied with the image quality, even if the Rokinon may be somewhat sharper wide open. If MF is ok for your applications, the price difference also suggests the Rokinon. However, AF can be darn handy and I wouldn't swap my Zeiss for the Rokinon.

I like my Samyang 12mm but definitely do not miss AF, @12mm is hardly needed. Anything longer is another story but on ultra wide can live without AF. What Ido  miss is "The Zeiss thing" - the colour, contrast and all that highly addictive Zeiss-stuff. Once get some spare cash will definitely upgrade to Zeiss.

 rayrik's gear list:rayrik's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony E 20mm F2.8 Carl Zeiss Touit 1.8/32 Samyang 12mm F2 NCS CS Phase One Capture One Pro +3 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads