Loss of GPS in the NEW A77II

Started Jun 24, 2014 | Discussions
TroyMich
TroyMich Regular Member • Posts: 123
Loss of GPS in the NEW A77II

I own the A77 and do not see the need obviously to upgrade. I surely would not if I had to sacrifice GPS for Wifi. GPS is a great feature for travel. For them to forego GPS for Wifi is a mistake. For me, the A77 is more valuable than the A77II.

They just updated the Sony RX100II with the RX100III which also does not have GPS. Now, this is probably one of the best small travel point and shoots on the planet and for Sony not to add this feature is a miss!

What's up with Sony and GPS?

-- hide signature --
 TroyMich's gear list:TroyMich's gear list
Sony RX100 III Sony SLT-A77 Sony a99 II Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM Sony 70-200mm F2.8 G SSM II +2 more
Sony RX100 Sony SLT-A77
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
headfirst
headfirst Contributing Member • Posts: 670
Re: Loss of GPS in the NEW A77II

There are parts of the world (like China, a major market) where GPS is not allowed. previously they had 2 SKUs with  the additional costs of that.

The A77 II battery life is already down on the original - what would it be with GPS enabled as well?

& that's before we've even discussed packaging, heat, cost etc.

headfirst's gear list:headfirst's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Sony SLT-A77 Sony Alpha DSLR-A580 Sony Alpha DSLR-A200 Konica Minolta Maxxum 7D +8 more
sybersitizen Veteran Member • Posts: 8,503
Re: Loss of GPS in the (name any new camera from Sony)

TroyMich wrote:

Simple, sad answer: It has been eliminated from all their recent cameras. They assume your smartphone will be the answer to all your GPS (and other) needs. That or some still-unannounced-and-unavailable GPS device that costs extra and has to sit on top of the new hot shoe.

SteveJnerChicago Regular Member • Posts: 384

How does one not know nor remember where they took a photograph? I turned my battery draining GPS off on my A77 after one day.

SteveJnerChicago's gear list:SteveJnerChicago's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Sony a77 II Sony 70-400mm F4-5.6 G SSM Sony 300mm F2.8 G +5 more
rio911
rio911 Contributing Member • Posts: 973

TroyMich wrote:

I own the A77 and do not see the need obviously to upgrade. I surely would not if I had to sacrifice GPS for Wifi. GPS is a great feature for travel. For them to forego GPS for Wifi is a mistake. For me, the A77 is more valuable than the A77II.

They just updated the Sony RX100II with the RX100III which also does not have GPS. Now, this is probably one of the best small travel point and shoots on the planet and for Sony not to add this feature is a miss!

I don't know about Sony, but for me I have the GPS in my A77 on all the time.

That being said, I still haven't found a proper use for the GPS data stored in my images.  I have done the gimmicks of looking at where some image has been taken, but it is nothing more than that, a gimmick.  The way I see it: it is a good thing to have, but it is not a "must", there is no added value behind it.

rio911's gear list:rio911's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony SLT-A77 Sony 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G SSM Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM Sony 50mm F1.4
vw671 Contributing Member • Posts: 539

Never used the GPS in my A77....don't miss it in my A77ii.

vw671's gear list:vw671's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony SLT-A57 Sony a77 II Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di USD +2 more
Jim Funston Senior Member • Posts: 1,698

Agreed.... never enabled GPS on any of my camera's...... Nor have I ever shot a video on a still camera either. If I want to shoot a video I'd buy a video camera.

J.R.M.
J.R.M. Contributing Member • Posts: 680

rio911 wrote:

TroyMich wrote:

I don't know about Sony, but for me I have the GPS in my A77 on all the time.

That being said, I still haven't found a proper use for the GPS data stored in my images. I have done the gimmicks of looking at where some image has been taken, but it is nothing more than that, a gimmick. The way I see it: it is a good thing to have, but it is not a "must", there is no added value behind it.

The only use for GPS is that others know where the picture was taken.

-- hide signature --

John

J.R.M.'s gear list:J.R.M.'s gear list
FinePix S1 Canon EOS 40D Sony SLT-A65 Sony 100mm F2.8 Macro Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM +4 more
VirtualMirage
VirtualMirage Veteran Member • Posts: 3,924

headfirst wrote:

There are parts of the world (like China, a major market) where GPS is not allowed. previously they had 2 SKUs with the additional costs of that.

The A77 II battery life is already down on the original - what would it be with GPS enabled as well?

& that's before we've even discussed packaging, heat, cost etc.

I agree with this thought.  Sony previously had to have two different models and SKUs for all cameras that had GPS as an option.  For those countries that GPS was permitted, the GPS option was sold and for those where it was not permitted, the model without GPS was sold.

To reduce manufacturing costs, simplify production runs, and to make these other countries happy Sony decided to nix the built in GPS.  This probably also helps Sony's strategy in becoming profitable again too by following their ultimate goal of slimming down, reduce redundancy, and becoming more efficient.

They probably also saw it as not a huge loss or hit against them being that none of the competition have built in GPS (they rely on third party or external accessories).  I'd imagine Sony will be going that direction too.

VirtualMirage's gear list:VirtualMirage's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony a77 II Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Tamron SP 70-200mm F/2.8 Di VC USD +18 more
K E Hoffman
K E Hoffman Senior Member • Posts: 5,101
In camera GPS convenient but incomplete

Camera GPS is a very lossy data system. You have the GPS, but it only encodes when an image is taken.

You are much better off GEOTAGGING with a device that captures the entire story. So when you open the log file in an application like Lightroom.. you get your path.. you can see how you got from point a to point b etc.    I have an A77.. with an GPS.. it was a check box feature.. I would rather Sony spend money on a better LCD, better focus, sensor improvements vs. tooling and inventory management of two versions of a camera.

I wrote this in another thread...

Use your Phone free apps galore.

There are a ton of free phone apps. (that will work on an used phone that is not even set up with a plan) they create a .GPX log that will track where you were. As long as you sync your phone and camera clock. It auto tags the photos and since it is logging all the time... you actually get path on the map of where you were which a camera GPS won't do.

Don't have smartphone.. don't want to run the battery down?

This ties voice notes to location..

http://www.amazon.com/Columbus-Bluetooth-Driverless-waypoints-Compatible/dp/B001JJRBU8/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1403375266&sr=8-12&keywords=gps+logger

Sony has not yet added a note taking feature like some camera have which would be useful.  This  + camera could be the perfect solution.  Geotagged images and voice notes.. like names etc.

cheaper tools

http://www.amazon.com/i-gotU-GT-120-Chipset-Software-Included/dp/B001IMJV0E/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1403375266&sr=8-9&keywords=gps+logger

http://www.amazon.com/Canmore-GT-730FL-S-Rechargeable-Waypoints-Compatible/dp/B002UWKUZQ/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1403375266&sr=8-7&keywords=gps+logger

How to use the log file

If you use Lightroom you can add tags to your images in the DB with included functions.

http://tv.adobe.com/watch/creative-suite-podcast-photographers/how-to-use-gpx-logs-to-geotag-your-photos-with-lightroom-4/

If you want the RAW tagged.. before Lightroom or other tool...

Free apps.

http://www.geotagphotos.net/user-guide#toc-supported-image-formats

http://www.dslrsoftware.com/gps_embedder.php

-- hide signature --

K.E.H. >> Shooting between raindrops in WA<<
Don't Panic!.. these are just opinions... go take some pictures..

K E Hoffman's gear list:K E Hoffman's gear list
Canon EOS 450D Nikon 1 J1 Sony a6500 Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony E 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 OSS +3 more
Keith Hanlan
Keith Hanlan Regular Member • Posts: 379
Re: In camera GPS convenient but incomplete

That's a great collection of links. I've bookmarked your post. Thank you.

Keith Hanlan's gear list:Keith Hanlan's gear list
Konica Minolta Maxxum 7D Sony Alpha DSLR-A580 Sony a77 II Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM Tamron SP AF 10-24mm F/3.5-4.5 Di II LD Aspherical (IF) +10 more
Lensmate
Lensmate Senior Member • Posts: 1,819

I've never ever had the need for GPS.....drain on the system. Good riddance....

Never used the movie feature either.....would like to see that gone and other features added that are more related to photography. [I have a camcorder, don't need extra...]

The Sony A77m2 took away the remote feature that was on the A77 and I miss that a lot........even though I have the cable trigger, I found the wireless remote more useful.

C'est la vie...

PS useful links and help there Ken~

Martin P

https://www.flickr.com/photos/photosauraus_rex/

K E Hoffman
K E Hoffman Senior Member • Posts: 5,101

Lensmate wrote:

Never used the movie feature either.....would like to see that gone and other features added that are more related to photography. [I have a camcorder, don't need extra...]

The Sony A77m2 took away the remote feature that was on the A77 and I miss that a lot........even though I have the cable trigger, I found the wireless remote more useful.

C'est la vie...

Martin P

Wireless trigger for wired cable..

http://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Shutter-Receiver-S1R-Fancierstudio/dp/B004HR2W4E/ref=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8&qid=1403667586&sr=8-15&keywords=sony+wireless+trigger+shutter+Minolta

I didn't use the remote much.. but that is a shame.  I guess I need to take that tablet with me for detailed control of the system.

-- hide signature --

K.E.H. >> Shooting between raindrops in WA<<
Don't Panic!.. these are just opinions... go take some pictures..

K E Hoffman's gear list:K E Hoffman's gear list
Canon EOS 450D Nikon 1 J1 Sony a6500 Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony E 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 OSS +3 more
eddiewood Contributing Member • Posts: 626

Lensmate wrote:

C'est la vie...

Martin P

"The Sony A77m2 took away the remote feature that was on the A77"

Are you sure?

eddiewood's gear list:eddiewood's gear list
Sony a77 II
MikeNannie
MikeNannie Regular Member • Posts: 443

eddiewood wrote:

Lensmate wrote:

C'est la vie...

Martin P

"The Sony A77m2 took away the remote feature that was on the A77"

Are you sure?

The remote control option is still there. It's on the setup menu, screen 3. I just looked at my camera. If I remember correctly, on my a580, it was on the drive menu, so maybe that is what is causing the confusion?

You can also use a wifi connection and your phone. My testing around the house however seemed to indicate a relatively short range. You have to use the Sony My Memories app on your phone for connectivity. Not sure if any other apps work, but it doubt it, it's probably a proprietary connection protocol.

MikeNannie's gear list:MikeNannie's gear list
Sony a77 II Sony DT 16-80mm F3.5-4.5 ZA Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di USD
eddiewood Contributing Member • Posts: 626

You had to go and spoil it!

eddiewood's gear list:eddiewood's gear list
Sony a77 II
MikeNannie
MikeNannie Regular Member • Posts: 443

eddiewood wrote:

You had to go and spoil it!

Sorry

Had me worried so I had to go check. I like that feature.

MikeNannie's gear list:MikeNannie's gear list
Sony a77 II Sony DT 16-80mm F3.5-4.5 ZA Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di USD
nandbytes Senior Member • Posts: 5,950

TroyMich wrote:

-- hide signature --

SLT (and mirrorless especially) already have less battery life than a traditional DSLR. So if I am on travel and need to conserve battery guess what gets turned off first. the GPS...

-- hide signature --

Focus on what you have, not on what you don't.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/nandbytes/

nandbytes's gear list:nandbytes's gear list
Sony RX100 III Sony Alpha a7 Sony Alpha a7R II Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS +5 more
tbcass
tbcass Forum Pro • Posts: 32,535

Probably due to cost and the fact that few people actually use the feature. I keep it turned off to extend battery life. Unfortunately it's one of those features where a small number of people get screwed because the market place doesn't want it.

-- hide signature --

Tom
Look at the picture, not the pixels
------------
Misuse of the ability to do 100% pixel peeping is the bane of digital photography because it causes people to fret over inconsequential issues.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/63683676@N07/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/25301400@N00/

tbcass's gear list:tbcass's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di USD Sony RX10 III +9 more
Claudio Galli Contributing Member • Posts: 551

tbcass wrote:

Probably due to cost and the fact that few people actually use the feature.

I think you are right

I keep it turned off to extend battery life

As it happens to me to travel around the world for tourism, the first thing I do when I buy a camera is to buy two additional batteries. Having the GPS on all day long has never been a problem. Why nobody suggests the simple solution of an additional battery? By the way, even with the GPS on, many times I arrive at the end of the day without the need to change the battery.

Unfortunately it's one of those features where a small number of people get screwed because the market place doesn't want it.

Unfortunately I am one of those! So for my RX100II I use the iPhone with gps4cam app.

Anyhow, thanks Tom for your always interesting comments on these forums, I rarely miss one!

Claudio

-- hide signature --

Tom
Look at the picture, not the pixels
------------
Misuse of the ability to do 100% pixel peeping is the bane of digital photography because it causes people to fret over inconsequential issues.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/63683676@N07/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/25301400@N00/

Claudio Galli's gear list:Claudio Galli's gear list
Sony RX100 II Olympus Tough TG-4 Panasonic FZ1000 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M5 II +3 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads