Should the new Sony FF E-mount forum include RX1?

Started Jun 24, 2014 | Discussions
sgoldswo
sgoldswo Veteran Member • Posts: 5,717
Breaking the rules

Jabba23 wrote:

Call the new forum Full Frame mirrorless and it makes sense. Call it Full Frame e-mount and no having the RX-1 in there breaks all the rules. They would have to make a Full Frame cyber shot forum just for those people.
--
Darren Krusi

There are already cameras that break the rules in terms of which forum they are in. Take the Nikon FX DSLR forum, which includes the D1 and D2, both APS-C (or should I say DX?) cameras...

In honesty though, the right comparison would be the Fujifilm forum - it made a lot of sense for the X100/S to be discussed in the same forum as the X-mount cameras.

As to what the Cybershot forum would say, why doesn't someone ask them?

 sgoldswo's gear list:sgoldswo's gear list
Leica Q Leica M Typ 240 Nikon Df Nikon D810 Nikon D750 +1 more
Section10
Section10 Senior Member • Posts: 1,518
Re: Should the new Sony FF E-mound forum include RX1?
1

My choice weighed heavily between the A7 and the Rx1r. Being an "RX'...or 'cybershot' is more a marketing decision than a reality. It practically sits alone in that forum...

The likely take is:

Yes because their both Sony mirrorless Full Frame

No because it's not an e-mount, it might 'clutter' our precious A7 opinions.

....My prediction is that Rx1 owners will want to be in the same forum more-so than A7 owners want Rx1's in 'their' forum.

 Section10's gear list:Section10's gear list
Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Nikon D4 Sony a9 Zeiss Otus 1.4/55 Zeiss Batis 25mm F2 +3 more
OP captura Forum Pro • Posts: 24,944
Re: Breaking the rules

sgoldswo wrote:

Jabba23 wrote:

Call the new forum Full Frame mirrorless and it makes sense. Call it Full Frame e-mount and no having the RX-1 in there breaks all the rules. They would have to make a Full Frame cyber shot forum just for those people.
--
Darren Krusi

There are already cameras that break the rules in terms of which forum they are in. Take the Nikon FX DSLR forum, which includes the D1 and D2, both APS-C (or should I say DX?) cameras...

In honesty though, the right comparison would be the Fujifilm forum - it made a lot of sense for the X100/S to be discussed in the same forum as the X-mount cameras.

As to what the Cybershot forum would say, why doesn't someone ask them?

Hah! I dare you....

 captura's gear list:captura's gear list
Sony Alpha a7 Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 STM
pixelpushing
pixelpushing Senior Member • Posts: 3,229
Re: Should the new Sony FF E-mound forum include RX1?
3

Section10 wrote:

My choice weighed heavily between the A7 and the Rx1r. Being an "RX'...or 'cybershot' is more a marketing decision than a reality. It practically sits alone in that forum...

The likely take is:

Yes because their both Sony mirrorless Full Frame

No because it's not an e-mount, it might 'clutter' our precious A7 opinions.

The snark is unnecessary and non-conducive to cohabitation.

....My prediction is that Rx1 owners will want to be in the same forum more-so than A7 owners want Rx1's in 'their' forum.

If we can take a break from the distorted logic rants and contrary, combative attitude, I'd say the RX1 would be a welcome addition.

 pixelpushing's gear list:pixelpushing's gear list
Sigma DP3 Merrill Sony Alpha a7 II Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apple iPad Air
sean lancaster
sean lancaster Veteran Member • Posts: 7,286
Re: Should the new Sony FF E-mound forum include RX1?
4

Section10 wrote:

....My prediction is that Rx1 owners will want to be in the same forum more-so than A7 owners want Rx1's in 'their' forum.

I doubt that's a good prediction. But I can only speak for myself and I am an A7 shooter who would love to have the RX1 in the same forum. I'd love to add an RX1, though.

 sean lancaster's gear list:sean lancaster's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha a7R II Voigtlander 35mm F1.2 Nokton Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 28mm F2 +4 more
OP captura Forum Pro • Posts: 24,944
Re: Should the new Sony FF E-mound forum include RX1?

sean lancaster wrote:

Section10 wrote:

....My prediction is that Rx1 owners will want to be in the same forum more-so than A7 owners want Rx1's in 'their' forum.

I doubt that's a good prediction. But I can only speak for myself and I am an A7 shooter who would love to have the RX1 in the same forum. I'd love to add an RX1, though.

I predict they will fight tooth and nail to keep it in Cyber-shot. Inconceivable after all this time, to them.

 captura's gear list:captura's gear list
Sony Alpha a7 Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 STM
GaryW Veteran Member • Posts: 8,617
Re: Breaking the rules

sgoldswo wrote:

Jabba23 wrote:

Call the new forum Full Frame mirrorless and it makes sense. Call it Full Frame e-mount and no having the RX-1 in there breaks all the rules. They would have to make a Full Frame cyber shot forum just for those people.

Seems logical to have a FF Cybershot forum.

There are already cameras that break the rules in terms of which forum they are in. Take the Nikon FX DSLR forum, which includes the D1 and D2, both APS-C (or should I say DX?) cameras...

In honesty though, the right comparison would be the Fujifilm forum - it made a lot of sense for the X100/S to be discussed in the same forum as the X-mount cameras.

Maybe the Fujis should be added to this forum, since they are mentioned so often over here.  

As to what the Cybershot forum would say, why doesn't someone ask them?

Yeah, I don't think the rule should be, "Several people in the Nex, er, Sony FE, forum wanted the RX-1, so we're switching it."  

 GaryW's gear list:GaryW's gear list
Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony E PZ 18-105mm F4 G OSS Sony Cyber-shot DSC-V3 Sony Alpha DSLR-A100 Sony Alpha NEX-5 +8 more
steelhead3 Veteran Member • Posts: 7,403
Re: Should the new Sony FF E-mound forum include RX1?

Would the new medium format camera be included in what forum?

 steelhead3's gear list:steelhead3's gear list
Sony a77 II
OP captura Forum Pro • Posts: 24,944
Re: Breaking the rules

GaryW wrote:

sgoldswo wrote:

Jabba23 wrote:

Call the new forum Full Frame mirrorless and it makes sense. Call it Full Frame e-mount and no having the RX-1 in there breaks all the rules. They would have to make a Full Frame cyber shot forum just for those people.

Seems logical to have a FF Cybershot forum.

There are already cameras that break the rules in terms of which forum they are in. Take the Nikon FX DSLR forum, which includes the D1 and D2, both APS-C (or should I say DX?) cameras...

In honesty though, the right comparison would be the Fujifilm forum - it made a lot of sense for the X100/S to be discussed in the same forum as the X-mount cameras.

Maybe the Fujis should be added to this forum, since they are mentioned so often over here.

As to what the Cybershot forum would say, why doesn't someone ask them?

Yeah, I don't think the rule should be, "Several people in the Nex, er, Sony FE, forum wanted the RX-1, so we're switching it."

Funny how nobody ever mentions Samsung. One story is that Sammy came first, with their NX line. So when Sony introduced their new competing line, they just stuck an 'E' in the middle of NX, stealing the idea with NEX. Believe that?

 captura's gear list:captura's gear list
Sony Alpha a7 Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 STM
philip pj Senior Member • Posts: 1,608
Re: Breaking the rules
1

Yes.
Same target audience, same sensor, same post processing, same design approach, same format, RX1 was the prototype for a7/r/s products, similar EVF, and so on.

A high level of convergence that will continue with future cameras. Will enrich discussions as more 35mm lenses come along in FE.

philip pj Senior Member • Posts: 1,608
Re: Breaking the rules

'Maybe the Fujis should be added to this forum'

Please say you were joking.

OP captura Forum Pro • Posts: 24,944
Re: Breaking the rules

philip pj wrote:

Yes.
Same target audience, same sensor, same post processing, same design approach, same format, RX1 was the prototype for a7/r/s products, similar EVF, and so on.

A high level of convergence that will continue with future cameras. Will enrich discussions as more 35mm lenses come along in FE.

Yes, I agree with that. But the counter-argument to that is that the Cyber-shot forum pre-existed the RX1. Then when Sony introduced the RX1 they named it a Cyber-shot. So DPR quite naturally plonked it down into the Cyber-shot forum, where it resides to this date.

 captura's gear list:captura's gear list
Sony Alpha a7 Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 STM
OP captura Forum Pro • Posts: 24,944
Re: Should the new Sony FF E-mound forum include RX1?

steelhead3 wrote:

Would the new medium format camera be included in what forum?

How about the Sony Medium Format forum?

 captura's gear list:captura's gear list
Sony Alpha a7 Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 STM
sgoldswo
sgoldswo Veteran Member • Posts: 5,717
Re: Should the new Sony FF E-mound forum include RX1?

captura wrote:

sean lancaster wrote:

Section10 wrote:

....My prediction is that Rx1 owners will want to be in the same forum more-so than A7 owners want Rx1's in 'their' forum.

I doubt that's a good prediction. But I can only speak for myself and I am an A7 shooter who would love to have the RX1 in the same forum. I'd love to add an RX1, though.

I predict they will fight tooth and nail to keep it in Cyber-shot. Inconceivable after all this time, to them.

Really?! I admit, I've never posted in that forum a lot (I do own an RX1R), but its always felt to me that the RX1 is the proverbial sore thumb in that forum. All I can say is that it would be welcome to have discussions around both the RX1/R and A7 in the same place as I use them interchangeably.

 sgoldswo's gear list:sgoldswo's gear list
Leica Q Leica M Typ 240 Nikon Df Nikon D810 Nikon D750 +1 more
sean lancaster
sean lancaster Veteran Member • Posts: 7,286
Re: Should the new Sony FF E-mound forum include RX1?

captura wrote:

steelhead3 wrote:

Would the new medium format camera be included in what forum?

How about the Sony Medium Format forum?

I doubt the 12 people in the world who buy it would even be members here. 

 sean lancaster's gear list:sean lancaster's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha a7R II Voigtlander 35mm F1.2 Nokton Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 28mm F2 +4 more
quezra Veteran Member • Posts: 3,915
Re: Should the new Sony FF E-mound forum include RX1?

sean lancaster wrote:

captura wrote:

steelhead3 wrote:

Would the new medium format camera be included in what forum?

How about the Sony Medium Format forum?

I doubt the 12 people in the world who buy it would even be members here.

Yeah but the 3 trolls at DPR who'd put it in their "I had it" list would

 quezra's gear list:quezra's gear list
Sony Alpha a7 Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony Vario-Tessar T* FE 16-35mm F4 ZA OSS Sony Alpha NEX-5N Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 +10 more
Section10
Section10 Senior Member • Posts: 1,518
Re: Should the new Sony FF E-mound forum include RX1?
3

pixelpushing wrote:

Section10 wrote:

My choice weighed heavily between the A7 and the Rx1r. Being an "RX'...or 'cybershot' is more a marketing decision than a reality. It practically sits alone in that forum...

The likely take is:

Yes because their both Sony mirrorless Full Frame

No because it's not an e-mount, it might 'clutter' our precious A7 opinions.

The snark is unnecessary and non-conducive to cohabitation.

If this is 'snark' to you perhaps we need a separate forum for the overly sensitive. I listed 2 likely opinions. Find some hole to crawl in and blame it for being insensitive.

....My prediction is that Rx1 owners will want to be in the same forum more-so than A7 owners want Rx1's in 'their' forum.

If we can take a break from the distorted logic rants and contrary, combative attitude, I'd say the RX1 would be a welcome addition.

How about taking a break from having to respond to my every post instead of whining. My prediction is based on the same notion that some members are heavily biased towards their own opinion. This proved to be true. I remember you complaining about the results so no pretending like it never happened. http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3684157

In case you haven't heard, they're splitting the forums.

As i recall, you also critiqued people that didn't own an A7 having an opinion as to which forum they should be on. How's your Rx1?

 Section10's gear list:Section10's gear list
Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Nikon D4 Sony a9 Zeiss Otus 1.4/55 Zeiss Batis 25mm F2 +3 more
Section10
Section10 Senior Member • Posts: 1,518
Re: Should the new Sony FF E-mound forum include RX1?

sgoldswo wrote:

captura wrote:

sean lancaster wrote:

Section10 wrote:

....My prediction is that Rx1 owners will want to be in the same forum more-so than A7 owners want Rx1's in 'their' forum.

I doubt that's a good prediction. But I can only speak for myself and I am an A7 shooter who would love to have the RX1 in the same forum. I'd love to add an RX1, though.

I predict they will fight tooth and nail to keep it in Cyber-shot. Inconceivable after all this time, to them.

Really?! I admit, I've never posted in that forum a lot (I do own an RX1R), but its always felt to me that the RX1 is the proverbial sore thumb in that forum. All I can say is that it would be welcome to have discussions around both the RX1/R and A7 in the same place as I use them interchangeably.

I don't know, Look at the front page of the Cybershot forum. How many posts (out of 60) do you see related to Rx1. I see 3. 3/60. Nearly everyone is related to rx100, the rest is random cybershots.

I would post things about rx1 and days later essentially get a teenager complaining his W800 button is sticking.

I share a lot more knowledge with A7, rx1, NEX members of the forum. I don't know why other rx1 members would want to keep it there, every comparison/question would most likely be answered by those in the e-mount forum. Tough call.

 Section10's gear list:Section10's gear list
Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Nikon D4 Sony a9 Zeiss Otus 1.4/55 Zeiss Batis 25mm F2 +3 more
OP captura Forum Pro • Posts: 24,944
Re: Should the new Sony FF E-mound forum include RX1?

sgoldswo wrote:

captura wrote:

sean lancaster wrote:

Section10 wrote:

....My prediction is that Rx1 owners will want to be in the same forum more-so than A7 owners want Rx1's in 'their' forum.

I doubt that's a good prediction. But I can only speak for myself and I am an A7 shooter who would love to have the RX1 in the same forum. I'd love to add an RX1, though.

I predict they will fight tooth and nail to keep it in Cyber-shot. Inconceivable after all this time, to them.

Really?! I admit, I've never posted in that forum a lot (I do own an RX1R), but its always felt to me that the RX1 is the proverbial sore thumb in that forum. All I can say is that it would be welcome to have discussions around both the RX1/R and A7 in the same place as I use them interchangeably.

Let's put the shoe on the other foot, for the moment. Can you imagine the uproar amongst the fine burgers who inhabit this Sony forum if management suddenly announced that they were planning to remove, let's say the A3000 model, from the forum? Even though the forum has few A3000 adherents, this announcement would result in the mightiest hue and cry, heard throughout the length and breadth of forumland!

 captura's gear list:captura's gear list
Sony Alpha a7 Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 STM
Section10
Section10 Senior Member • Posts: 1,518
Re: Should the new Sony FF E-mound forum include RX1?

captura wrote:

sgoldswo wrote:

captura wrote:

sean lancaster wrote:

Section10 wrote:

....My prediction is that Rx1 owners will want to be in the same forum more-so than A7 owners want Rx1's in 'their' forum.

I doubt that's a good prediction. But I can only speak for myself and I am an A7 shooter who would love to have the RX1 in the same forum. I'd love to add an RX1, though.

I predict they will fight tooth and nail to keep it in Cyber-shot. Inconceivable after all this time, to them.

Really?! I admit, I've never posted in that forum a lot (I do own an RX1R), but its always felt to me that the RX1 is the proverbial sore thumb in that forum. All I can say is that it would be welcome to have discussions around both the RX1/R and A7 in the same place as I use them interchangeably.

Let's put the shoe on the other foot, for the moment. Can you imagine the uproar amongst the fine burgers who inhabit this Sony forum if management suddenly announced that they were planning to remove, let's say the A3000 model, from the forum? Even though the forum has few A3000 adherents, this announcement would result in the mightiest hue and cry, heard throughout the length and breadth of forumland!

Yep. And to further their logic, imagine where A7s owners want their own forum to talk strictly about 4k video and better low light capabilities. To use the same logic, they will claim.."do you own a A7s? then who are you to tell us which forum we should be in".... Its the same example as 'only caring about themselves"...sure it makes sense to them. But a forum includes everybody 'related'...its that r word we're debating about. There is always going to be the snobbery here, doesn't mean they should get the top bunk...there should understanding and compromise but theres a certain group whos found to be bias that is far more unwilling to work with others.

 Section10's gear list:Section10's gear list
Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Nikon D4 Sony a9 Zeiss Otus 1.4/55 Zeiss Batis 25mm F2 +3 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads