Need advice

Started Jun 24, 2014 | Questions
riman Senior Member • Posts: 1,137
Need advice

I need some advice... I want a super  zoom  18-200 but I was not impressed with the Nikon version.. I was thinking of either Tameron or Sigma..any thoughts?
Thanks.

riman's gear list:riman's gear list
Nikon D750 Nikon D500 Nikon AF Nikkor 35mm f/2D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/4G ED VR +1 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Phathom
Phathom Senior Member • Posts: 1,111
Re: Need advice

I really like the Sigma 18-250 (newest version). It still has all the typical problems with softness and distortion that are common with most superzooms, but it is light and versatile. With proper editing software you can easily correct a majority of the issues.

Phathom's gear list:Phathom's gear list
Sony RX100 III Nikon D810 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +3 more
PSCL1 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,681

There are dozens of threads on this topic.   Right now, the new 18-250 Sigma is best regarded in popular magazines.  Next month it will probably be a different lens.  I would suggest you do a search hear and on the Third Party Lens Talk forum.

PSCL1's gear list:PSCL1's gear list
Leica X1 Nikon D80 Olympus PEN E-PL1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 Sony Alpha NEX-3N +27 more
philharris
philharris Contributing Member • Posts: 528

If you are not happy with the Nikon 18-200 maybe you should ask if any superzoom is the answer?

It's asking an awful lot of a lens to perform over that sort of range and while one might be slightly better than another in one or other aspect, it's always going to be a huge compromise.

I think it might be worth trying to adapt to a shorter range zoom or even prime that gives the sort of IQ that makes the extra effort worthwhile.

-- hide signature --
 philharris's gear list:philharris's gear list
Sony RX100 Leica Q Nikon Df Nikon D750 Nikon D500 +25 more
romfordbluenose Senior Member • Posts: 2,958

I don't think you'll get much out of an 18-200 as you already have the 18-140, I wouldn't bother with that as you can easily crop and the difference between 140 and 200 is not actually that much.

Whichever lens you get in this range will be a compromise.

I'd consider the 18-300, which is heavier but maybe what you are looking for.

romfordbluenose's gear list:romfordbluenose's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS30 Nikon D800 Nikon D5300 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +11 more
OP riman Senior Member • Posts: 1,137

One more thing..I am thinking of going from a D 7100 to the Fuji XT1 system...not sure if I will get better low light performance..

anything else anyone can tell me that might be helpful?

riman's gear list:riman's gear list
Nikon D750 Nikon D500 Nikon AF Nikkor 35mm f/2D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/4G ED VR +1 more
Windancer
Windancer Veteran Member • Posts: 5,477

philharris wrote:

If you are not happy with the Nikon 18-200 maybe you should ask if any superzoom is the answer?

+1

Terry

-- hide signature --

Graham Fine Art Photography
http://www.pbase.com/windancer
Remember, it's not the CPU that's in your camera that makes great images, it's the one located about 4" behind the viewfinder that does.
Disclaimer: This e-mail is intended to impart a sense of humor. Given e-mail's inability to carry inflections, tone and facial expressions it may fail miserably in its intent. The sender acknowledges the limitations of the technology and assigns to the software in which this message was composed any ill feelings that may arise.

Windancer's gear list:Windancer's gear list
Nikon D70 Nikon D100 Nikon D200 Nikon D300 Nikon D700 +21 more
paulski66
paulski66 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,115

riman wrote:

One more thing..I am thinking of going from a D 7100 to the Fuji XT1 system...not sure if I will get better low light performance..

anything else anyone can tell me that might be helpful?

Yes...sit down and figure out what your needs are, and then proceed from there.

paulski66's gear list:paulski66's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G +2 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads