Can't get all the dust off my UV filter

Started Jun 24, 2014 | Questions
Nezhin Forum Member • Posts: 91
Can't get all the dust off my UV filter

I tried blowing on it, brushing it, and of course cleaning it with a lens cleaning fluid and a microfiber rug. The dust is still there, on this shot it is highlighted with a light source placed at an oblique angle.

I am worried that this dust might cause veiling flare. Is there a way to get rid of it? Or perhaps it doesn't matter that much?

ANSWER:
lambert4
lambert4 Senior Member • Posts: 2,209
Re: Can't get all the dust off my UV filter

Looks more loke lint from your cleaning rag.  try a different cloth, and I like a  white distilled vinegar  to remove water spots from my filters just a drop rubbed around with the same cloth, and then dried.

-- hide signature --

Here's to learning something new everyday, and remembering it the next.

lambert4's gear list:lambert4's gear list
Nikon D500 Sigma 10-20mm F3.5 EX DC HSM Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-80mm F2.8-4E ED VR +1 more
selected answer This post was selected as the answer by the original poster.
Skeeterbytes Forum Pro • Posts: 12,410

lambert4 wrote:

Looks more loke lint from your cleaning rag.  try a different cloth, and I like a  white distilled vinegar  to remove water spots from my filters just a drop rubbed around with the same cloth, and then dried.

-- hide signature --

This might be what is occurring. If your tap water isn't too hard (high mineral content) perhaps wash it with a little mild dish detergent, rinse it and dry it with a very clean, hopefully lint-free cloth, or lens tissue. That's what I do with stubborn dirt and smudges.

Have had filters delaminate, giving a pattern somewhat similar to this, but it's easy enough to see surface debris by looking at the reflection on the glass.

Rick

-- hide signature --

"Whiskey is for drinking, digicams are for fighting over."
—Mark Twain

OP Nezhin Forum Member • Posts: 91

lambert4 wrote:

Looks more loke lint from your cleaning rag. try a different cloth, and I like a white distilled vinegar to remove water spots from my filters just a drop rubbed around with the same cloth, and then dried.

-- hide signature --

Yes, I think this could be it. I'll get a new rag tomorrow, and I'll keep your vinegar tip in mind. Thanks!

Paulmorgan Veteran Member • Posts: 6,753

Nezhin wrote:

lambert4 wrote:

Looks more loke lint from your cleaning rag. try a different cloth, and I like a white distilled vinegar to remove water spots from my filters just a drop rubbed around with the same cloth, and then dried.

-- hide signature --

Yes, I think this could be it. I'll get a new rag tomorrow, and I'll keep your vinegar tip in mind. Thanks!

Something else that works well are those disposable spectacle wipes.

Michael L NYC 99
Michael L NYC 99 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,069

I use these wipes for my lenses.

http://www.amazon.com/Zeiss-Pre-Moistened-Lens-Cloths-Wipes/dp/B0030E4UIQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1403633598&sr=8-1&keywords=zeiss+lens+wipe

They dry in a few seconds, so there's no need to use a cloth afterwards. They're inexpensive as well.

Regards

Michael

-- hide signature --

See my Flickr photostream here Michael.Lee.Pics.NYC

Michael L NYC 99's gear list:Michael L NYC 99's gear list
Olympus E-M5 II Sony Alpha a7R II Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D Panasonic Leica D Summilux Asph 25mm F1.4 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS +15 more

Skeeterbytes wrote:

lambert4 wrote:

-- hide signature --

This might be what is occurring. If your tap water isn't too hard (high mineral content) perhaps wash it with a little mild dish detergent, rinse it and dry it with a very clean, hopefully lint-free cloth, or lens tissue. That's what I do with stubborn dirt and smudges.

Have had filters delaminate, giving a pattern somewhat similar to this, but it's easy enough to see surface debris by looking at the reflection on the glass.

Rick

-- hide signature --

—Mark Twain

This stuff seems to be moving around, so it's definitely not delamination. Thanks for another tip, I'll have to get a new microfiber cloth in the morning, and find out if this lint decides to be stubborn about staying or not.

jalywol
jalywol Veteran Member • Posts: 8,835

Michael L NYC 99 wrote:

I use these wipes for my lenses.

http://www.amazon.com/Zeiss-Pre-Moistened-Lens-Cloths-Wipes/dp/B0030E4UIQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1403633598&sr=8-1&keywords=zeiss+lens+wipe

They dry in a few seconds, so there's no need to use a cloth afterwards. They're inexpensive as well.

Regards

Michael

I use these also, they work great (my local WalMart has them in their optical department).

-J

ron_9
ron_9 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,705

that isn't dust but I'm gonna take a guess and say tree pollen which can be very sticky.  Using wipes and/or/plus a good screen cleaner should take care of it---also get several micro cloths to use.--Aren't ya glad you got it on the filter and not the lens     ----------ron s.

-- hide signature --

Keeping it sane in an insane world is an inconvenience at an inconvenient time!!
www.pbase.com/ron9ron

Chas2 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,424

for all optical cleaning, I use these.  I can get them from my local optometrist, also use them in the lab.

http://www.amazon.com/KIMWIPE-SM-280-PK/dp/B001D8XLKE

Chas2's gear list:Chas2's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 +9 more
PSCL1 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,681

To the OP:  If none of the above suggestions work, just buy a new filter.

PSCL1's gear list:PSCL1's gear list
Leica X1 Nikon D80 Olympus PEN E-PL1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 Sony Alpha NEX-3N +27 more
Solved -- Re: Can't get all the dust off my UV filter

Skeeterbytes wrote:

lambert4 wrote:

-- hide signature --

This might be what is occurring. If your tap water isn't too hard (high mineral content) perhaps wash it with a little mild dish detergent, rinse it and dry it with a very clean, hopefully lint-free cloth, or lens tissue. That's what I do with stubborn dirt and smudges.

Rick

-- hide signature --

—Mark Twain

A few dust particles remain, but I don't think they dispurse enough light to create a noticable flare.

I bought some single-use lens cleaning fiber paper from an optitian (thanks Paulmorgan for the idea), and cleaned the filter in the usual manner, by spraying it with a lens cleaning fluid first, and cleaning/drying it with the microfiber paper. I also put the filter under running tap water for a few seconds, just for good measure (before the previous step).

So it was it was loke lint, as ambert4 suggested. I bought the previous cloth in a reputable store, so this is a bit weird. I guess I'm now blacklisting the brand. Thanks for the help!

Skeeterbytes Forum Pro • Posts: 12,410
Re: Solved -- Re: Can't get all the dust off my UV filter

Success!

Thanks for following up. We all learned a little, I think.

Cheers,

Rick

-- hide signature --

—Mark Twain

Macintosh Sauce
Macintosh Sauce Contributing Member • Posts: 706
Sergey_Green
Sergey_Green Forum Pro • Posts: 10,520
You will not see it in your images.

So I would not bother too much. Wash it, wipe it off with silky cloth, and be done with it. What is there, will be there.

-- hide signature --

- sergey

Sergey_Green's gear list:Sergey_Green's gear list
Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads