Okay camera but...

Started Jun 24, 2014 | User reviews
pheanix Regular Member • Posts: 211
Okay camera but...

First the bad.  Slow response time in waking up or tuning on. This is even with f/w v1.07.  Battery stamina isn't that great to begin with, but setting a longer timeout before sleep drains it more.  Noise is quite evident beginning at ISO400.  Big downer because sometimes to keep the shutter speed up, ISO needs to be increased.  Biggest downer - slideshow effect and lag just doesn't work for fast paced action.  Period.  These issues are inherent with SLT and because of my shooting style, are unnacceptable to me.  I did get lucky and pull off a few shots, but my fast action keeper rate was below that of my previously owned 6fps A700.

Now the good.  For everything else (other than low light w/o flash), this camera does very well.  I've taken some sharp, detailed macros shots with the A77 that comes close to the my Nikon.  In good light, still life pictures are full of color and detail.  Good glass really brings out the best for these types of shooting with the A77.  Speaking of good glass, there's a ton of Minolta G and F2 lenses out there to be had for reasonable prices.  Some of the older cheaper glass rivals the newer Sony glass IMO.  The camera has a good build quality and I like the grip (helps with the battery stamina and easy access to BOTH batteries). Overall, it's a good camera, but not for everyone.

-- hide signature --

'Shoot first (pictures that is); ask questions later'
Keith

pheanix's gear list:pheanix's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A100 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +5 more
Sony SLT-A77
24 megapixels • 3 screen • APS-C sensor
Announced: Aug 24, 2011
pheanix's score
Average community score
bad for good for
Kids / pets
good
Action / sports
mediocre
Landscapes / scenery
good
Portraits
unrated
Low light (without flash)
weak
Flash photography (social)
okay
Studio / still life
great
= community average
Nikon 1 V1 Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Sony SLT-A77
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
K E Hoffman
K E Hoffman Senior Member • Posts: 5,101
Re: Okay camera but...

Did you just recently get the camera?

How are you PP images?

I find in actual usage the ISO is clean upto ISO 1200 and I can get very usable shots with minimal PP at ISO 1600.  But you can't judge it as 1:1 .. its 24MP that will lead to too much NR or a seeing of more noise than a print or even full screen web version..

Also a lot of people have adapted to the "slide show effect" as it in reality is only a small fraction of the normal human response rate... IE to even shoot an OVF you are compensating for .2 to .3 seconds of human reaction time delay.  Slide show should only be adding .06 to .1 to this.

IT is different though

Thanks for sharing your review..

-- hide signature --

K.E.H. >> Shooting between raindrops in WA<<
Don't Panic!.. these are just opinions... go take some pictures..

K E Hoffman's gear list:K E Hoffman's gear list
Canon EOS 450D Nikon 1 J1 Sony a6500 Sony E 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 OSS Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS +3 more
garykohs
garykohs Veteran Member • Posts: 4,517

pheanix wrote:

Biggest downer - slideshow effect and lag just doesn't work for fast paced action. Period. These issues are inherent with SLT and because of my shooting style, are unnacceptable to me. I did get lucky and pull off a few shots, but my fast action keeper rate was below that of my previously owned 6fps A700.

-- hide signature --

Keith

You get to decide what is unacceptable to you. And anyone buying an A77 for sports should know that the slide show effect is a fact of life. (I'll add that it's much reduced in the A77-2.) It takes some time to get used to the camera's behavior in order to shoot sports in the 8 or 12 fps mode. However, it is just an adjustment.

I would agree that shooting sports in burst mode is more difficult with the A77 than with an OVF camera but I've done it successfully for several years.

Finally, a note that the max frame rate on the A700, which I used for years also, is 5 fps.

garykohs's gear list:garykohs's gear list
Konica Minolta Maxxum 7D Canon EOS-1D X Sony a99 II Sony a9 Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM +16 more
OP pheanix Regular Member • Posts: 211

The last thing I wanted was for this review to show up here.   Didn't know that would happen and maybe it'll get buried quickly.  I was a little bored, read one about a Fuji and decided to write one for the A77 since I still have it.

To answer your question, I've had the A77 for over 2 years and use CS6 with ACR8.3 (whatever the last version is) mostly.  The slideshow effect and I just don't get along.  Maybe it's the fact of continuously seeing the fast subject in the past then trying to see that same subject again in real time (12 times in 1 second, back and forth) that just throws me off.  Seeing black is much more easier for me to handle.  If some are truly used to it and can track with it just as well, then I'm glad for their success.

-- hide signature --

Keith

Sony Alpha DSLR-A100 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +5 more
tbcass
tbcass Forum Pro • Posts: 32,270

Sounds to me that you need to get used to the camera. The slide show effect takes getting used to but once I did my keeper rate for sports was very high and I actually no longer notice it.

As far as high ISO noise, if you reduce the files size to match your old A700 the A77 is much better in that regard. I use my A77 up to ISO 1600-3200 with no problem.
--
Tom

Look at the picture, not the pixels
------------
Misuse of the ability to do 100% pixel peeping is the bane of digital photography because it causes people to fret over inconsequential issues.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/63683676@N07/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/25301400@N00/

tbcass's gear list:tbcass's gear list
Sony RX100 Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di USD Sony RX10 III +9 more
K E Hoffman

pheanix wrote:

The last thing I wanted was for this review to show up here. Didn't know that would happen and maybe it'll get buried quickly. I was a little bored, read one about a Fuji and decided to write one for the A77 since I still have it.

To answer your question, I've had the A77 for over 2 years and use CS6 with ACR8.3 (whatever the last version is) mostly. The slideshow effect and I just don't get along. Maybe it's the fact of continuously seeing the fast subject in the past then trying to see that same subject again in real time (12 times in 1 second, back and forth) that just throws me off. Seeing black is much more easier for me to handle. If some are truly used to it and can track with it just as well, then I'm glad for their success.

-- hide signature --

Keith

Product reviews get put in the forum..of the product.. So yes it is here..

But in general you have complaints where others have.   I would suggest looking at LR its better with noise than I have found PS..

And yes of course some people can't adapt was well.. people are different..

Like I said.. thanks for sharing...

-- hide signature --

Canon EOS 450D Nikon 1 J1 Sony a6500 Sony E 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 OSS Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS +3 more
digititus Senior Member • Posts: 1,560

tbcass wrote:

Sounds to me that you need to get used to the camera. The slide show effect takes getting used to but once I did my keeper rate for sports was very high and I actually no longer notice it.

As far as high ISO noise, if you reduce the files size to match your old A700 the A77 is much better in that regard. I use my A77 up to ISO 1600-3200 with no problem.
--
Tom

------------
Misuse of the ability to do 100% pixel peeping is the bane of digital photography because it causes people to fret over inconsequential issues.

Are you going to start this argument all over again?  Do you really believe you know how every the eyes and brains of every human being work together to perceive things?  Well, you do NOT know!  So get off your soap box let this issue rest.

K E Hoffman

digititus wrote:

tbcass wrote:

--
Tom

------------

Are you going to start this argument all over again? Do you really believe you know how every the eyes and brains of every human being work together to perceive things? Well, you do NOT know! So get off your soap box let this issue rest.

TBcass shared his tips and personal experience to someone he though might be newer.

The only attack dog on this thread so far is YOU.. are you going to drag this thread into the gutter again?

-- hide signature --

tbcass wrote:

Sounds to me that you need to get used to the camera.

Sorry Tom, but I don't need to get used to anything.  Mainly because there are plenty of options that don't have this effect, and will be for quite some time AFAIK.  No camera will force me into something that I don't like or want.  That being said, the A77 is great for other things, that's why I didn't sell it.  Also, your and my idea panning and shooting are very different.  We've already gone though that though.

-- hide signature --

Keith

tbcass

Who rattled your cage? I'd say your rude, mean spirited response to my personal experience is totally unwarranted.
--
Tom

------------

Sony RX100 Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di USD Sony RX10 III +9 more
tbcass

Sorry I didn't realize I'd been through this with you before. BTW, how many different ways are there to pan?
--
Tom

------------

tbcass wrote:

Sorry I didn't realize I'd been through this with you before. BTW, how many different ways are there to pan?

Two.  Fast and slow.

-- hide signature --

Keith

tqlla Veteran Member • Posts: 3,883

K E Hoffman wrote:

pheanix wrote:

The last thing I wanted was for this review to show up here. Didn't know that would happen and maybe it'll get buried quickly. I was a little bored, read one about a Fuji and decided to write one for the A77 since I still have it.

To answer your question, I've had the A77 for over 2 years and use CS6 with ACR8.3 (whatever the last version is) mostly. The slideshow effect and I just don't get along. Maybe it's the fact of continuously seeing the fast subject in the past then trying to see that same subject again in real time (12 times in 1 second, back and forth) that just throws me off. Seeing black is much more easier for me to handle. If some are truly used to it and can track with it just as well, then I'm glad for their success.

-- hide signature --

Keith

Product reviews get put in the forum..of the product.. So yes it is here..

But in general you have complaints where others have. I would suggest looking at LR its better with noise than I have found PS..

And yes of course some people can't adapt was well.. people are different..

Like I said.. thanks for sharing...

-- hide signature --

Yikes that sucks. I wouldnt want to have to defend all of my reviews.

tqlla's gear list:tqlla's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A850 Sony Alpha a99 Sony a99 II Sony 16-35mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Sony 24-70mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* +9 more
Jim Funston Senior Member • Posts: 1,698

I noticed the slide show effect on my old a33 but going to the a77 when it was first released I honestly barely ever realize it is there anymore and my a77 is primarily used for my wildlife/BIF shots.

Last summer before I bought my a99 a friend gave me his D800e and three lenses to use for a week. Great camera and excellent resolution but for continuous fire I found the large mirror movement, noise, and blackouts far more distracting. I was offered a Pro Plan pricing on a Nikon and lenses but decided to get the a99 instead. One of the main reasons was no EVF and the issues with mirror's I noticed immediately ... after shooting SLT for awhile.

I am told everyone is different in the way their eye's and brain process the view with continuous exposures and EVF's. I must be one of the lucky ones because it is a very rare situation where I even see the slideshow effect when doing BIF shots anymore. Personally I will never buy a camera without EVF again.

I do question your comment about not wanting this review to show up on this forum....... why write one at all if you are sensitive to who may read it? I have had cameras that I have not been totally happy with every aspect(the a77 noise issue is one of them but admittedly I am anal about noise... thankfully DXO9 Pro Prime Noise reductions has made higher iso usage less of a issue) but I have never written a review and probably never would because one man's junk is another man's treasure. If asked my opinion I may give it but I see no need to do a review because I am not qualified as I am a user and not a reviewer. Looking at your A mount lens list where most are screwdrive old Minolta glass of 210mm and under I must wonder what sports or action shooting you expected to do with these..... Your Nikon selection of glass is far better suited for action sports.

It would be really tough today to even find one bad camera from the top 10 camera manufacturers and the difference between a good and a great photo rarely ever is due to the gear that was used but more what was happening in the 12" behind the camera.

tbcass

Depending on subject I do both and everything in between.
--
Tom

------------

Jim Funston wrote:

I noticed the slide show effect on my old a33 but going to the a77 when it was first released I honestly barely ever realize it is there anymore and my a77 is primarily used for my wildlife/BIF shots.

Last summer before I bought my a99 a friend gave me his D800e and three lenses to use for a week. Great camera and excellent resolution but for continuous fire I found the large mirror movement, noise, and blackouts far more distracting. I was offered a Pro Plan pricing on a Nikon and lenses but decided to get the a99 instead. One of the main reasons was no EVF and the issues with mirror's I noticed immediately ... after shooting SLT for awhile.

Fine. Good for you   I totally disagree though and went from SLT to D800E because itdidn't have an EVF (among other things), and mean every word of my review.

I am told everyone is different in the way their eye's and brain process the view with continuous exposures and EVF's. I must be one of the lucky ones because it is a very rare situation where I even see the slideshow effect when doing BIF shots anymore.

Yes, I guess you are one of them.

I do question your comment about not wanting this review to show up on this forum....... why write one at all if you are sensitive to who may read it? I have had cameras that I have not been totally happy with every aspect(the a77 noise issue is one of them but admittedly I am anal about noise... thankfully DXO9 Pro Prime Noise reductions has made higher iso usage less of a issue) but I have never written a review and probably never would because one man's junk is another man's treasure. If asked my opinion I may give it but I see no need to do a review because I am not qualified as I am a user and not a reviewer.

Because, Jim, it has been discussed here TO DEATH.  Let me help you understand.  Just for S & G's, and after reading the Fuji review, I listed A77's for sale on Ebay to get an idea of how much they may be worth.  There are 66 of them for sale, 56 of which are new.  Somebody will buy them.  Dpreview ranks high in Google for camera gear.  If I can help someone to see the other side of the story (which does exist, but some are in denial about) instead of only the rosey one, then I will.  So question all you want Jim, but this review was meant to be for them potentially, not for anyone in this forum.

It would be really tough today to even find one bad camera from the top 10 camera manufacturers and the difference between a good and a great photo rarely ever is due to the gear that was used but more what was happening in the 12" behind the camera.

Words that you live up to... I mean live by, I'm sure

-- hide signature --

Keith

Keith wouldn't it be boring if we all agreed and there truly was only one great camera and it only spit out outstanding photographs.

The web is full of original a77 reviews Keith starting all the way back when they were introduced in the USA in October 2011 when I bought mine. To review a 3 year old camera when a new updated model was just released this month is sort of old news, don't you think?

As far as living up to my 12" behind the camera is what makes the difference comment... I took a image taken at Herring Point with a lowly original 14mp NEX 5 two years ago after listening to club members expounding about how great this or that camera was and entered it in one of their monthly projected image competition at your locations biggest and oldest Photo Society. It took first place that month and came in second place for that clubs projected image of the year competition at the end of that year. It was the only competition I have ever entered since starting photography way back in the 60's. Competitons are not my thing and in my opinion mean absolutely nothingbut I think my 12" can do OK when compared against those from this countries oldest photographic society's members images and proved the gear one uses meant nothing

Maybe we will see one another at Bombay Hook, Prime Hook, or along the DE Seashore sometime and continue this conversation over crabs and a beer at Sambo's ......

Jim Funston wrote:

Keith wouldn't it be boring if we all agreed and there truly was only one great camera and it only spit out outstanding photographs.

The web is full of original a77 reviews Keith starting all the way back when they were introduced in the USA in October 2011 when I bought mine. To review a 3 year old camera when a new updated model was just released this month is sort of old news, don't you think?

No.  Not when there are still some for sale.  As said earlier, they will sell, eventually.  People may land here when trying to learn about this 3 year old camera.  And, believe it or not, may know nothing about it and want to learn more before a possible purchase.  They need to know all sides of the story.  Not just the cool stuff that some people want them to know.

As far as living up to my 12" behind the camera is what makes the difference comment... I took a image taken at Herring Point with a lowly original 14mp NEX 5 two years ago after listening to club members expounding about how great this or that camera was and entered it in one of their monthly projected image competition at your locations biggest and oldest Photo Society. It took first place that month and came in second place for that clubs projected image of the year competition at the end of that year. It was the only competition I have ever entered since starting photography way back in the 60's. Competitons are not my thing and in my opinion mean absolutely nothingbut I think my 12" can do OK when compared against those from this countries oldest photographic society's members images and proved the gear one uses meant nothing

I thought a shot had been taken, so I took one back.  That's all.  To let you know, you've won more contests than I.

Maybe we will see one another at Bombay Hook, Prime Hook, or along the DE Seashore sometime and continue this conversation over crabs and a beer at Sambo's ......

Bombay Hook?  I love the place, but I definitely need a longer lens before going back there.  I'm sure you'll post pictures in the Wildlife thread that will make me jealous though

-- hide signature --

Keith

tbcass

The only problem is when reading amateur user reviews the opinions are all over the place and for that reason I pay little attention to them. Instead I rely on the objective tests from trusted professional reviews I trust (not their subjective opinions) which generally give me a good idea how the camera will perform. One thing I don't worry about is IQ because all the better cameras produce great images. It's performance, features and ergonomics that matter most.

-- hide signature --

Tom
------------

A long lens and a Thermocell burning inside the vehicle this time of year.... they do really work! The bugs swarm the vehicle just waiting for a window to roll down. Then they come in like a blizzard of biting bugs but they go right back out the window even faster when they get a whiff of the Thermocell

At Bombay Hook

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads