Limited Edition vs original model; your preference

Started Jun 24, 2014 | Discussions
Paul Kersey Photography
Paul Kersey Photography Regular Member • Posts: 414
Limited Edition vs original model; your preference

Based on the present pricing, the Adorama deal includes the optical viewfinder and $50 for really a great price of under $650. The Limited Edition can be had for a bit under $700. I am up in the air on which I should get. The Limited appeals to me for its included hood and build enhancements though a viewfinder makes the original model extremely tempting. I wanted to keep my total investment to under/around $700 for either of these cameras. I have read some comments about whether having the viewfinder is a detriment to the camera's usage. I'm not sure that's the case for me as I get more frustrated when I don't have one available.

Have any of you dealt with this conundrum and if yes, which way did you go and why?

Thanks

-- hide signature --

PK

rogerstpierre Veteran Member • Posts: 3,935
Re: Limited Edition vs original model; your preference

And which is the camera?

-- hide signature --

Roger

rogerstpierre's gear list:rogerstpierre's gear list
Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax Optio 33WR Samsung TL500 Pentax K10D Pentax K-01 +18 more
Paul Kersey Photography
OP Paul Kersey Photography Regular Member • Posts: 414

rogerstpierre wrote:

And which is the camera?

-- hide signature --

Roger

Though omitted, easily inferred one would think. The GR

-- hide signature --

PK

chiane Veteran Member • Posts: 4,397

I would go with looks. I have zero use for a viewfinder at this focal length, especially one with no electronics.

Tom Caldwell Forum Pro • Posts: 31,666

Paul Kersey Photography wrote:

Based on the present pricing, the Adorama deal includes the optical viewfinder and $50 for really a great price of under $650. The Limited Edition can be had for a bit under $700. I am up in the air on which I should get. The Limited appeals to me for its included hood and build enhancements though a viewfinder makes the original model extremely tempting. I wanted to keep my total investment to under/around $700 for either of these cameras. I have read some comments about whether having the viewfinder is a detriment to the camera's usage. I'm not sure that's the case for me as I get more frustrated when I don't have one available.

Have any of you dealt with this conundrum and if yes, which way did you go and why?

Thanks

-- hide signature --

PK

They are the same camera unless the looks of the "limited" appeal more.

I can't see why the viewfinder is detrimental to the use of the camera although its advantages might vary according to the shooting tastes of the owner.

-- hide signature --

Tom Caldwell

35mmBlueSky
35mmBlueSky Forum Member • Posts: 60

Forget about the viewfinder, you will not get one , i was at their store earlier today and was set to buy the GR, but decided to hold off when they told me the viewfinder is no longer in stock. But if you can live without the viewfinder, it's still a good deal.

35mmBlueSky's gear list:35mmBlueSky's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2S Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XC 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 OIS Fujifilm 50-230mm
Hibiki Rush Regular Member • Posts: 339
LE feels bad

I tried out the LE when I was in Yodobashi Camera in Japan last time. That thing is slippery. I would never choose it over the regular edition.

IslandTractor Contributing Member • Posts: 642

35mmBlueSky wrote:

Forget about the viewfinder, you will not get one , i was at their store earlier today and was set to buy the GR, but decided to hold off when they told me the viewfinder is no longer in stock. But if you can live without the viewfinder, it's still a good deal.

The viewfinders are on backorder.  The Adorama deal includes one but it won't arrive with the rest of the package.

I have just received my GR and haven't really had much chance to use it in real life situations yet. However, I anticipate the viewfinder (once it arrives) being quite useful for my intended use as a travel camera.

I hate holding a camera at arms length like an iPhone to frame shots.  Much prefer bringing the camera up to my eye.  EVF would be nice but the delays and added information are distractions when out on the street.  I prefer setting the basic exposure parameters ahead of time, allowing the camera to finalize exposure on it's own and devoting my efforts to seeing and then framing the shot.  An optical viewfinder is great for that.  Used one with my Bessa-L and Voigtlander 15mm lens as well as with a Contax G/21mm.

The only real downside for the GR is that with a viewfinder like the GV1 mounted you need a bigger hip bag to carry the camera.

IslandTractor's gear list:IslandTractor's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Ricoh GR Ricoh GR II Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T1 +8 more
MarkWW
MarkWW Contributing Member • Posts: 619

IslandTractor wrote:

35mmBlueSky wrote:

The viewfinders are on backorder. The Adorama deal includes one but it won't arrive with the rest of the package.

I have just received my GR and haven't really had much chance to use it in real life situations yet. However, I anticipate the viewfinder (once it arrives) being quite useful for my intended use as a travel camera.

I hate holding a camera at arms length like an iPhone to frame shots. Much prefer bringing the camera up to my eye. EVF would be nice but the delays and added information are distractions when out on the street. I prefer setting the basic exposure parameters ahead of time, allowing the camera to finalize exposure on it's own and devoting my efforts to seeing and then framing the shot. An optical viewfinder is great for that. Used one with my Bessa-L and Voigtlander 15mm lens as well as with a Contax G/21mm.

The only real downside for the GR is that with a viewfinder like the GV1 mounted you need a bigger hip bag to carry the camera.

With the GV-2 you only need a marginally larger hip bag to carry the camera.

Paul Kersey Photography
Re: LE feels bad

Hibiki Rush wrote:

I tried out the LE when I was in Yodobashi Camera in Japan last time. That thing is slippery. I would never choose it over the regular edition.

excellent feedback, thanks. If I were to get one, a good wrist strap would be in order.

-- hide signature --

PK

Paul Kersey Photography

chiane wrote:

I would go with looks. I have zero use for a viewfinder at this focal length, especially one with no electronics.

Here's my latest thought; by the deal w/viewfinder, re-sell the viewfinder and reduce my cost for the GR. Today looks like the day.

-- hide signature --

PK

35mmBlueSky

IslandTractor wrote:

35mmBlueSky wrote:

The viewfinders are on backorder. The Adorama deal includes one but it won't arrive with the rest of the package.

I hate holding a camera at arms length like an iPhone to frame shots. Much prefer bringing the camera up to my eye. EVF would be nice but the delays and added information are distractions when out on the street. I prefer setting the basic exposure parameters ahead of time, allowing the camera to finalize exposure on it's own and devoting my efforts to seeing and then framing the shot. An optical viewfinder is great for that. Used one with my Bessa-L and Voigtlander 15mm lens as well as with a Contax G/21mm.

Yes, it's on backorder, I also asked whether it would be in stock anytime, was told that it could take months before this particular viewfinder (GV-1) is back in stock, that's also what ultimately turned me off and now seriously considering getting the Fuji X100s instead. Either way,with the viewfinder installed on top, I think size wise the advantage of GR quickly diminishes as X100s' viewfinder is built into the camera body (hybrid ovf/evf),hence will not be as obtrusive.

Fujifilm X-E2S Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XC 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 OIS Fujifilm 50-230mm
Allen George Senior Member • Posts: 1,458
OVF

I had an external OVF for my GRDIII that I used for a while. In the end I ditched it because of the significant parallax error for subjects closer than 6-8ft (can't remember the exact distance). I think the OVF is great if your subjects are mostly at that distance and increasingly iffy the closer you get.

I would have preferred a nice EVF frankly

-- hide signature --
IslandTractor Contributing Member • Posts: 642

35mmBlueSky wrote:

IslandTractor wrote:

35mmBlueSky wrote:

Yes, it's on backorder, I also asked whether it would be in stock anytime, was told that it could take months before this particular viewfinder (GV-1) is back in stock, that's also what ultimately turned me off and now seriously considering getting the Fuji X100s instead. Either way,with the viewfinder installed on top, I think size wise the advantage of GR quickly diminishes as X100s' viewfinder is built into the camera body (hybrid ovf/evf),hence will not be as obtrusive.

I was also pondering the x100s v GR decision.  Decided in the end that my X=E1 plus 27 was a fair substitute for the x100s while the GR gave me a true pocketable camera that would be more flexible.  I also just have always preferred 28 to 35mm perspective though that was not the deciding factor.  Frankly, I was bidding on x100s' via eBay and trying to find one on CL that met my price point ($850).  In the end, I found the Adorama GR deal and just did the mouse click.  I still own a GR1 so am very familiar with the size and 28mm as a travel camera and am looking forward to learning more about the new GR.  From my first few days of use I am very impressed (even without the OVF).  I may yet add a x100s once prices drop a bit further.

IslandTractor's gear list:IslandTractor's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Ricoh GR Ricoh GR II Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T1 +8 more
35mmBlueSky

Assuming the OVF was still in stock and given the price difference, the GR is a better deal obviously for almost half the price, but I keep scratching my head thinking how I would deal with shooting the GR without the OVF at all times like a cell phone camera.

Hibiki Rush Regular Member • Posts: 339

35mmBlueSky wrote:

Assuming the OVF was still in stock and given the price difference, the GR is a better deal obviously for almost half the price, but I keep scratching my head thinking how I would deal with shooting the GR without the OVF at all times like a cell phone camera.

I've had no problems using the GR without a viewfinder. I actually prefer it. It's a nice chance from my regular kit. I haven't tried an OVF on it but I do not really miss it.

Joel Stern
Joel Stern Forum Pro • Posts: 10,925

I never use my VF with the GR, no need.  I like them both.  If you think the limited will hold more value I am not so sure, but it looks good in the pictures i have seen.

-- hide signature --

If i am typing on my iPad, please excuse any typos.

Joel Stern

Paul Kersey Photography wrote:

chiane wrote:

Here's my latest thought; by the deal w/viewfinder, re-sell the viewfinder and reduce my cost for the GR. Today looks like the day.

-- hide signature --

PK

Good luck on selling the VF.  Not that desirable.  Buy the one you want.

-- hide signature --

Joel Stern

35mmBlueSky wrote:

IslandTractor wrote:

35mmBlueSky wrote:

The EVF on the 100s is very dim in bright light, but the OVF is stellar, with all the info visible.

-- hide signature --

35mmBlueSky

BTW, with the GV-1 installed on the GR, can I see info like focus confirmation and exposure metrics? If not the X100s has a huge advantage when one opts to use the VF, I can't imagine going back and forth doing framing, focusing and metering between the LCD and OVF for each shot I'm taking,it just adds too much unnecessary steps into workflow compared the traditional DSLR's OVFs, which really renders the OVF on GR an undesirable tool in the end.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads