D800 crop mode

Started Jun 24, 2014 | Discussions
Terrance Vacha Contributing Member • Posts: 942
D800 crop mode

What really happens with the resolution when a FF camera is used in DX mode? Is the photo taken in FF and then down sampled to get to DX? Or are the outer pixels on the FF sensor ignored in DX mode? My guess would be the latter.

Terrance Vacha's gear list:Terrance Vacha's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D810 Tamron SP AF 200-500mm F/5-6.3 Di LD (IF) Tamron SP AF 17-35mm F/2.8-4 Di LD Aspherical (IF) Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +8 more
Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
KSV Veteran Member • Posts: 3,351
Re: D800 crop mode

Terrance Vacha wrote:

What really happens with the resolution when a FF camera is used in DX mode? Is the photo taken in FF and then down sampled to get to DX? Or are the outer pixels on the FF sensor ignored in DX mode? My guess would be the latter.

Your guess is right and IMHO cropped mode useless to start with - one always can crop in PP and can for example achieve 1:1 ratio without loosing sides.

KSV's gear list:KSV's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Nikon D700 Nikon Df Nikon AF Nikkor 24mm f/2.8D Nikon AF Nikkor 35mm f/2D +8 more
pxlwz Regular Member • Posts: 376

KSV wrote:

Your guess is right and IMHO cropped mode useless to start with - one always can crop in PP and can for example achieve 1:1 ratio without loosing sides.

Actually, I use the crop mode quite a bit in the studio, where I can't not go in any closer, if I need everything in focus. For example a beer glass. The only alternative for FF would be focus stacking, which takes a lot longer, and clients don't usually want to pay extra.

DX crop mode is absolutely useful for me!

Markus

pxlwz's gear list:pxlwz's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +10 more

pxlwz wrote:

KSV wrote:

Actually, I use the crop mode quite a bit in the studio, where I can't not go in any closer, if I need everything in focus. For example a beer glass. The only alternative for FF would be focus stacking, which takes a lot longer, and clients don't usually want to pay extra.

Markus

My point was that you always can do cropping in PP and do it better. So why I need to trow away at shooting time something that I could use? For sake of few megabytes? Nah - memory is so cheap today that it simply not worth to save.

Fujifilm X100S Nikon D700 Nikon Df Nikon AF Nikkor 24mm f/2.8D Nikon AF Nikkor 35mm f/2D +8 more
wasserball Veteran Member • Posts: 4,072

crop mode is cropping at dead center the FX image to DX image in the camera rather than doing it post processing. Post processing allows you the flexibility of not always cropping at dead center.

wasserball's gear list:wasserball's gear list
Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/2.8G ED-IF VR Nikon D3S Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 400mm f/2.8G ED VR II +4 more
David314 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,790
Fps

KSV wrote:

Terrance Vacha wrote:

Since you can shoot ar higher fps and get a deeper buffer in the crop modes, they can be useful

Re: Fps

David314 wrote:

KSV wrote:

Terrance Vacha wrote:

Since you can shoot ar higher fps and get a deeper buffer in the crop modes, they can be useful

That make sense

Oldan New Regular Member • Posts: 499

KSV wrote:

Terrance Vacha wrote:

Actually it's "losing" sides, mate.

Oldan New wrote:

KSV wrote:

Terrance Vacha wrote:

Actually it's "losing" sides, mate.

Thanks for correction

Steve Ridges Senior Member • Posts: 1,015

With my D3, I never used crop mode because the resulting pictures were too small.  With the D800, DX crop is usefull for sports in that it bumps up the FPS and I can see "surrounding" areas of the frame in the darkened portion that helps me see whats outside of my frame.

I also use the 5:4 crop mode quite a bit if I know that my clients are intending to use standard size frames for the pictures.  Nothing bugs me more that to have filled the 3:2 frame with an image and then have to either crop or fill space that results from resizing.

Dr Bob
Dr Bob Senior Member • Posts: 1,319

KSV wrote:

Terrance Vacha wrote:

KSV, No, wrong again. Crop mode is not useless. I sometimes go to crop mode shooting BIF if I need extra fps and a quicker buffer. The 800 is a bit limiting in fps (but only a bit) and crop mode helps in the odd case where it is needed. I set up my 800E for a one button/one wheel action change to crop mode.

Dr Bob's gear list:Dr Bob's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 500mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28mm f/1.8G +1 more
AllOtherNamesTaken Veteran Member • Posts: 3,563
Hassle Factor

KSV wrote:

pxlwz wrote:

KSV wrote:

Actually, I use the crop mode quite a bit in the studio, where I can't not go in any closer, if I need everything in focus. For example a beer glass. The only alternative for FF would be focus stacking, which takes a lot longer, and clients don't usually want to pay extra.

Markus

My point was that you always can do cropping in PP and do it better. So why I need to trow away at shooting time something that I could use? For sake of few megabytes? Nah - memory is so cheap today that it simply not worth to save.

It's not about the storage, it's about the hassle. Let's say you shot 3,000 images at an air show. Do you want to individually crop every 3,000 images, or would you rather frame the 'crop' at the time of the shot with DX mode or 1.2 crop mode? I would take the latter any day of the week.

In the past, it wasn't that useful on the 12MP sensors, but now with 24MP and especially 36MP, you basically have 3 cameras in one with the FF, 1.2 crop, and DX crop modes.  Certainly nice to have the option.

Robin Casady Forum Pro • Posts: 12,898
Re: Hassle Factor

AllOtherNamesTaken wrote:

KSV wrote:

pxlwz wrote:

KSV wrote:

Markus

It's not about the storage, it's about the hassle. Let's say you shot 3,000 images at an air show. Do you want to individually crop every 3,000 images, or would you rather frame the 'crop' at the time of the shot with DX mode or 1.2 crop mode? I would take the latter any day of the week.

In the past, it wasn't that useful on the 12MP sensors, but now with 24MP and especially 36MP, you basically have 3 cameras in one with the FF, 1.2 crop, and DX crop modes. Certainly nice to have the option.

Do you print or post all 3,000 images? Wouldn't you go through them and pick the cherries? Cropping the cherries shouldn't be that big a deal.

Shooting FX allows you the option of improving the composition if you didn't quite frame it perfectly in the heat of shooting.

-- hide signature --

Robin Casady
http://www.robincasady.com/Photo/index.html
"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please."
—Mark Twain

AllOtherNamesTaken Veteran Member • Posts: 3,563

Robin Casady wrote:

KSV wrote:

pxlwz wrote:

KSV wrote:

Markus

In the past, it wasn't that useful on the 12MP sensors, but now with 24MP and especially 36MP, you basically have 3 cameras in one with the FF, 1.2 crop, and DX crop modes. Certainly nice to have the option.

Do you print or post all 3,000 images? Wouldn't you go through them and pick the cherries? Cropping the cherries shouldn't be that big a deal.

Shooting FX allows you the option of improving the composition if you didn't quite frame it perfectly in the heat of shooting.

-- hide signature --

Robin Casady
http://www.robincasady.com/Photo/index.html
"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please."
—Mark Twain

I definitely realize the advantages to cropping in post, however yes, in some cases of those 3,000 images I am left with hundreds of "cherry picked" images, which is a lot to go through and crop.  I use both, personally.  If I am shooting a ton, I use crop mode, if not, I use FF regardless.  Nice to have options :-).  Most of the time I just use FF.

noirdesir Forum Pro • Posts: 13,522

KSV wrote:

I would let Lightroom do the cropping. Crop one image, sync the crop to all other images and go get a coffee while it is working. To me storage savings are the only reason for crop mode (+ higher frame rates but I basically never need them).

pxlwz Regular Member • Posts: 376

noirdesir wrote:

I would let Lightroom do the cropping. Crop one image, sync the crop to all other images and go get a coffee while it is working. To me storage savings are the only reason for crop mode (+ higher frame rates but I basically never need them).

You are assuming, all the images need the exact same crop.

Markus

pxlwz's gear list:pxlwz's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +10 more
noirdesir Forum Pro • Posts: 13,522

pxlwz wrote:

noirdesir wrote:

You are assuming, all the images need the exact same crop.

Well, when you choose to let the camera apply the DX crop, it will also always be the exact same crop for all images: dead centered relative to your framing.

Duke Miller Senior Member • Posts: 1,386

I found another reason to use crop mode. This past weekend I was shooting a convention of doctors. I was stuck with my 35mm Sigma on my D800e; it was a bit too wide for the task. So I turned the 35mm into a 52.5mm by switching to DX. Worked great.

-- hide signature --

"The mountains are calling, and i must go." John Muir

Duke Miller's gear list:Duke Miller's gear list
Nikon D800E
gear1box Senior Member • Posts: 1,519

Dr Bob wrote:

KSV, No, wrong again. Crop mode is not useless. I sometimes go to crop mode shooting BIF if I need extra fps and a quicker buffer. The 800 is a bit limiting in fps (but only a bit) and crop mode helps in the odd case where it is needed. I set up my 800E for a one button/one wheel action change to crop mode.

Andy --

I shoot my d600 in DX for "action" shots or nature to obtain the benefits you cite.  5.5fps may not be speedy in today's market but for this old film shooter, that is plenty fast with a 50+ RAW buffer.  I find 10meg files just fine for those types of images too, not quite as much resolution as my beloved d7000 but still more than fine for up to 11x14s if yer careful.

In that regard, let me offer two additional practical benefits of DX use on the d6x0 specifically.  Firstly, all 39 AF points are still in the capture area; a d6x0 liability becomes an advantage.  Secondly, i find the "outer" area of the viewfinder beyond the DX image is very useful in actual use for moving objects.  It is sort of like the benefit that rangefinder users have about seeing the whole context of a scene.

Finally my photog revenue days are long over; this is just a hobby for me and i will never own -- or want to carry! -- a super tele.  The 1.5x factor is just fine with me for the few times i need a long tele.

-- hide signature --

gary ray
Semi-professional in early 1970s; just a putzer since then. interests: historical sites, virginia, motorcycle racing. A nikon user more by habit than choice; still, nikon seems to work well for me.

gear1box's gear list:gear1box's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Nikon D810 Olympus E-PL7 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 +9 more

Dr Bob wrote:

KSV wrote:

Terrance Vacha wrote:

Andy - use proper tool for proper job. If you need faster FPS then you can find plenty of DSLR on market that can do much faster then D800. Using D800 in crop mode is like buying Ferrari and never drive it faster then 40 km/hr. I would understand when you need fast FPS very occasionally and make a use of DX mode to speed it up. But if you need it constantly you definitely need other tool. FWIF I have D700 for number of years and remember using DX only once wham I bought it, just out of curiocity. Why I would buy expensive FX model and use it like much cheaper DX one? IMHO defy purpose.

Though whatever rocks your boat.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads