GF5 as backup body? (for E-M10)

Started Jun 23, 2014 | Questions
Janbe78 Regular Member • Posts: 167
GF5 as backup body? (for E-M10)

Hey,

A couple of months ago I switched from my Nikon D300s kit to a fantastic Olympus E-M10 kit. Unfortunately I had to bring in the E-M10 for repairs (front dial got squeaky and almost completely locked) and now I'm probably out-of-camera for 2 to 3 weeks. It's not that big of a deal (I'm not a pro) but still I was looking for a cheap (maybe 2nd hand) M4/3 body which I can use as a backup body, or a camera I can give to my kids without having to worry too much.

After looking for some 2nd hand bodies, I found a pretty good deal on a new Panasonic GF5 body (€159 which is $216). So I'm wondering, would you consider the GF5 as a good 2nd camera? Obviously I'm not looking for a top-quality/feature-complete body, just a cheap one on which I can use my M4/3 glass but which would still give OK results.

Thanks for your thoughts!!

J

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
zkz5
zkz5 Contributing Member • Posts: 665
Re: GF5 as backup body? (for E-M10)

Janbe78 wrote:

After looking for some 2nd hand bodies, I found a pretty good deal on a new Panasonic GF5 body (€159 which is $216). So I'm wondering, would you consider the GF5 as a good 2nd camera?

Not really. You should be able to do much better than the GF5 for $216 by buying used. I sold my G3 for $165 earlier this year and got a G5 for $240. Both of these cameras have much better sensors and other things.

sigala1 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,818

Janbe78 wrote:

Hey,

A couple of months ago I switched from my Nikon D300s kit to a fantastic Olympus E-M10 kit. Unfortunately I had to bring in the E-M10 for repairs (front dial got squeaky and almost completely locked) and now I'm probably out-of-camera for 2 to 3 weeks. It's not that big of a deal (I'm not a pro) but still I was looking for a cheap (maybe 2nd hand) M4/3 body which I can use as a backup body, or a camera I can give to my kids without having to worry too much.

After looking for some 2nd hand bodies, I found a pretty good deal on a new Panasonic GF5 body (€159 which is $216). So I'm wondering, would you consider the GF5 as a good 2nd camera? Obviously I'm not looking for a top-quality/feature-complete body, just a cheap one on which I can use my M4/3 glass but which would still give OK results.

Thanks for your thoughts!!

J

The sensor is pretty inferior compared to the E-M10, and the interface is dumbed down and lacking in basic functions like flash compensation. But it will work with your m43 lenses.

jeffharris
jeffharris Veteran Member • Posts: 8,703

Janbe78 wrote:

Hey,

After looking for some 2nd hand bodies, I found a pretty good deal on a new Panasonic GF5 body (€159 which is $216). So I'm wondering, would you consider the GF5 as a good 2nd camera? Obviously I'm not looking for a top-quality/feature-complete body, just a cheap one on which I can use my M4/3 glass but which would still give OK results.

I'd stick with Olympus, simply because of the differences in the interface. In the past I've traveled with several different brands of cameras  ( Panasonic, Nikon, Olympus) and switching between them can be extremely frustrating because of the different ways each brand of camera works, not only the UI, but in the ways the physical controls work. Using the same brand makes it less of a hassle.

Check out the EMP2. Prices are quite good lately, probably a bit more than a GF5. The sensor is much better than the GF5, too.

jeffharris's gear list:jeffharris's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Voigtlander Nokton 25mm F0.95 Voigtlander Nokton 42.5mm F0.95 Voigtlander Nokton 17.5mm F0.95 Aspherical +28 more
joergzielosko Regular Member • Posts: 394

jeffharris wrote:

I'd stick with Olympus, simply because of the differences in the interface.

And if you start post-processing, it's much easier to have two bodies with similar output so you can use the same software, raw conversion settings, and general workflow.

joergzielosko's gear list:joergzielosko's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm F1.8 Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 +12 more
broody Contributing Member • Posts: 674

Look for an Oly EPM2. It's been heavily discounted recently and can be had for s little or less than the GF5.

It's just a much better body. The image quality is on par with the EM10 while the GF5 is far behind. Also, it's an Olympus so you'll be familiar with the controls, and it has much higher FPS for burst shooting and has a hotshoe.

broody's gear list:broody's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM +5 more
Alexsfo Senior Member • Posts: 1,882

I have E-M10 and E-PM2 as a second body. It's a perfect setup as both cameras share same batteries and files are pretty much identical.

Alexsfo's gear list:Alexsfo's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 35mm F2 IS USM Canon EF 24-70mm f/4L IS USM Canon 70-300 F4-5.6 IS II Canon 85mm F1.4L IS USM
Narcosynthesis Senior Member • Posts: 1,831
I think you could do better...

I would definitely look to a second Olympus body of some form - they will share that bit more in menu interface and control layout to make the transition between them a bit easier (which is great if you want to shoot both simultaneously).

The other thing I would do would be to look secondhand - if you are not shopping for the latest and greatest then secondhand should net you a better or more recent camera for the same money, which is always good, and as a backup having a new body with full warranty and so on isn't quite as important as with a bran new high end model (such as the situation you are in right now).

Otherwise the GF5 is a solid if uninspiring camera - it has an older sensor so the IQ won't match a current model, but will be capable of superb quality shots in the right hands (hell, used properly my antique 10mp Canon 400d takes stunning shots...), and it is a basic model so you won't get the same control options (both in terms of buttons and the software options) but will give you something perfectly adequate if unexciting to work with.

-- hide signature --

www.flickr.com/photos/narcosynthesis
www.illaname.deviantart.com

OP Janbe78 Regular Member • Posts: 167

Thanks for all the input! So not too many fans of the GF5.

What do you think about a 2nd hand Olympus E-PM1 or E-PL1? I can get both for $85 each. (I only need 1 of course )

J

Nkobile Junior Member • Posts: 46

The E-PL1 can produce wonderful images, but its low-light is not great. I think you would enjoy that camera, and for that price it's a steal.

Nkobile's gear list:Nkobile's gear list
Canon EOS M Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1
Fredrik Glckner Veteran Member • Posts: 3,678

I would rather go for the GF6, which is so much better in almost any way: Better grip, tiltable screen, Wifi, better sensor, better video. It is very under appreciated.

http://m43photo.blogspot.com

LMNCT Veteran Member • Posts: 4,906

Bouncing back and forth between two menu systems is not ideal.  Try to find a used Olympus body (maybe an EPL-5) to be your second string.

LMNCT's gear list:LMNCT's gear list
Panasonic LX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 +23 more
Hen3ry
Hen3ry Forum Pro • Posts: 18,218
Don't do it, you might fall in love with the Panny menus! :) nt

Cheers, geoff

-- hide signature --

Geoffrey Heard
Down and out in Rabaul in the South Pacific
http://pngtimetraveller.blogspot.com/2011/10/return-to-karai-komana_31.html

Hen3ry's gear list:Hen3ry's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic G85 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Panasonic Lumix G X Vario PZ 45-175mm F4.0-5.6 ASPH OIS +7 more
Agatharchus
Agatharchus New Member • Posts: 22
Re: Don't do it, you might fall in love with the Panny menus! :) nt

You mentioned having a backup camera that you could give to your kids, the GF5 is an excellent camera for this, extremely easy to use menus, and it takes very nice pictures.  I find the GF5 is my most used camera as it is small and fits into my pockets w/14mm easily, even though it is not my best camera.

It is a nice looking camera too, especially in white.

Agatharchus's gear list:Agatharchus's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm F2.8 ASPH OIS +6 more
AdamT
AdamT Forum Pro • Posts: 58,597
G3 would be Far better

G3 would be better as its 16Mp, in RAW it has pretty much the same IQ as the EM10, it`s got an EVF and yet is still compact , what you'll gain from having the G3 over the EM10 even is a full swivel LCD and the Video can be hacked up to 175Mbs !! , with broadcast level 50Mbs being totally stable (that`s twice that of a stock GH2 !!) so it`ll Add to the rig rather than just being an out of date 12Mp camera with little in the way of features like the GF5 or affordable Olys , the AF on the G3 maybe even faster than the EM10 too .

G3s are insanely cheap too

-- hide signature --

** Please ignore the Typos, I'm the world's worst Typist **

AdamT's gear list:AdamT's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads